PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on GPS....

Tenacious Billy
09-12-2013, 06:46 PM
Looking into picking up a new GPS. Want something simple and light for marking trails/waypoints etc and topo capabilities....looking for people's opinions on what they have, what they like and what they don't like. Cheers.

papahank
09-12-2013, 08:27 PM
I am looking too! I have narrowed it down to the Oregon 600. A bit pricey but has the ability to add maps from CD's, or you can purchase SD cards with maps on them already. It also comes with the dual orientation (GLONASS and GPS satellites). They say it can be used with gloves on, but I guess that remains to be seen when I finally put enough $$ away and purchase one.

Good luck with your search.

HarryToolips
09-12-2013, 08:31 PM
Just make sure you got a compass and know how to use it as well:-D

RiverOtter
09-12-2013, 08:57 PM
I run a 76csx (Now a 78 series)with the backroads sd card, so far so good after 7 years. The 60/62 series are great as well, just make sure you get color and an electronic compass in whichever unit you decide on, but make sure its a Garmin, as they are far and away the most user friendly.

hare_assassin
09-12-2013, 09:01 PM
I am looking too! I have narrowed it down to the Oregon 600. A bit pricey but has the ability to add maps from CD's, or you can purchase SD cards with maps on them already. It also comes with the dual orientation (GLONASS and GPS satellites). They say it can be used with gloves on, but I guess that remains to be seen when I finally put enough $$ away and purchase one.

Good luck with your search.

Every feature you mentioned is found on the Etrex 20, for less money.

papahank
09-12-2013, 09:10 PM
[QUOTE=hare_assassin;1381619]Every feature you mentioned is found on the Etrex 20, for less money.[/QUOTE

I looked at that one, but really wanted a big touch screen and altimeter.

My first GPS was a etrex vista. Used it flying (hence liking the altimeter), hiking, camping, hunting, fishing....

So the etrex 30 is close but no touch screen.

Oh!!! there are just so many choices. You can see why we seek advice from others before putting our money down.

albravo2
09-12-2013, 09:14 PM
The GPS on my phone is better than any of the GPS I've bought, especially if you factor in the ability to download google earth satellite images for offline use when you are out of cell coverage.

The only compelling GPS feature I've seen lately has been the Garmin Rhino radio/gps combination that shows you where your partners are whenever you click to talk to each other. If it were not for that feature I'd just use my phone.

/a

Davey Crockett
09-12-2013, 10:07 PM
The GPS on my phone is better than any of the GPS I've bought, especially if you factor in the ability to download google earth satellite images for offline use when you are out of cell coverage.

The only compelling GPS feature I've seen lately has been the Garmin Rhino radio/gps combination that shows you where your partners are whenever you click to talk to each other. If it were not for that feature I'd just use my phone.

/a

Some of the apps on phones are pretty cool and your phone will work well in a Safeway parking lot but don't count on them to work in the woods. Also, the battery life on a phone isn't nearly long enough to be practical. Maybe one day.

brutus
09-12-2013, 10:22 PM
touch screen suck in sub zero temp,bought one and sold it for that fact alone,went back to my garmin csx76 never failed me and complitely water tight,drop mine in the river and it floated away chased it down river for a few minutes and finaly got a hold of it,that was four years ago and it still works flawlessly.+my touch screen did not work with gloves as advertise add to take my gloves off every time and even then it was hard to get the touch screen to work.

brutus
09-12-2013, 10:26 PM
btw gpscentral on line store as better price then most,shipping is quick and cheap

Murder
09-12-2013, 10:53 PM
I have been using an Oregon 450 for 3 years. Top notch unit, will do everything mentioned and more. I paid almost 500, but I saw them at Costco recently for 199. That's a steal

batman66
09-13-2013, 05:56 AM
I have an Oregon 450 too, no complaints, awesome little unit

Ron.C
09-13-2013, 07:45 AM
I use a basic Garmin Etrex. Nothing fancy. Very simple to use, reliable, and inexpensive.

allan
09-13-2013, 08:00 AM
Garmin Rhino.
- peer to peer
-micro sd card
-us version is 5 w transmitting power ( Canada is allowed only 2 w)
-radio
-non touch screen

Rainsford
09-13-2013, 11:36 AM
Any GPS units out there that you can download maps from iMapBC that you have customized? Doubt it but figured I would ask.

Rainsford

KnifeGuy
09-13-2013, 12:11 PM
Gonna put up a vote for the ETrex 20 by Garmin. However, buy the Canadian topographic map card for it. I find "basic" gps with no real map data (just a white screen with major roads) to be fairly useless, but the topo maps give you all the data you would expect from an actual physical map. I would also recommend a good declination adjustable compass. As far as touch screens go, I've heard they are more fragile by nature then button units, but I have no personal experience on their toughness. Maybe those who do can elaborate? do you find touch screens to be more fragile?

lawergs
09-14-2013, 01:45 PM
Looking into picking up a new GPS. Want something simple and light for marking trails/waypoints etc and topo capabilities....looking for people's opinions on what they have, what they like and what they don't like. Cheers.

I have Garmin Rino 655t US model 5 watts its got two radio and 5 meg camera its easy to mark waypoints it will take a SD micro card I used it on my last trip and using Garmin basecamp you can super impose your travels on Google Earth and save them. You also plan a trip on basecamp and downloaded to the GPS unit.

biggyun68
09-14-2013, 01:51 PM
After doing some forestry work with the Brother in law and seeing him use his Ipad as a GPS and seeing how good it is and having the larger screen of the Ipad has me convinced that this is the route I will be taking in the future:
Sorry if this option has already been mentioned

Ry151
09-14-2013, 02:16 PM
i like the size of the oregon 450T that i have and the programing the best but the screan is really hard to see in the sun. My montana 650 is nice but the programing is sometimes odd to me being use to the oregon. if i was going to use one GPS for everything id go with the montana i guess.

coyotebc
09-14-2013, 06:17 PM
Having dropped my garmin 60 HCx in a stream and simply picking it back up (over a foot deep in water) and continuing on I can see their use
Newer Garmin's can use satellite images as well and the battery on a gps last much longer than on a phone

/a

coyotebc
09-14-2013, 06:19 PM
No but you can convert the iMapBC to be used on a Garmin gps with a free program

Any GPS units out there that you can download maps from iMapBC that you have customized? Doubt it but figured I would ask.

Rainsford

coyotebc
09-14-2013, 06:22 PM
For years I have connected my laptop or netbook to my gps to use either a 7 or 15 inch screen
I have used the netbook as a map while driving in my truck

After doing some forestry work with the Brother in law and seeing him use his Ipad as a GPS and seeing how good it is and having the larger screen of the Ipad has me convinced that this is the route I will be taking in the future:
Sorry if this option has already been mentioned

Brew
09-14-2013, 06:29 PM
Are the newer garmin GPS units better. I have a rhino 530 and its has been the biggest piece of crap. I have had to send it in 3 times for a refurb. First time after one year. Then again just over a year and then again just over a year. Not getting it fixed again. But what are my options. Garmins warranty is horrible

Darksith
09-14-2013, 06:32 PM
I run the rhino...saves having to carry a radio and a gps unit. Has advantages when hunting with the old man, in case he goes down from heart trouble or something he just has to key his mike and I can find him...as long as we are in range obviously. When you have many friends with rhinos, thats when they really start to show how useful they are

Brew
09-14-2013, 06:42 PM
I run the rhino...saves having to carry a radio and a gps unit. Has advantages when hunting with the old man, in case he goes down from heart trouble or something he just has to key his mike and I can find him...as long as we are in range obviously. When you have many friends with rhinos, thats when they really start to show how useful they are
Any problems with your unit. Maybe I got a lemon

fun2ride0
10-11-2013, 12:20 AM
X2. I use my Etrex 20 with free ibycus topo maps. Once I set my waypoints, I overlay them over Google Earth maps and print and laminate them for a really good field map. You can also easily buy Garmin or Backroad map software that will work with Etrex 20. Plus the price is right.

Stukonarock
10-23-2013, 10:33 AM
I find my iphone with two external batteries works well for all trips. I usually make sure the phone is charged fully and one backup battery come with me. The other stays in the truck to charge. Next time Minch at the truck I swap the batteries. Iphone5 uses GPS and glonass and have been extremely happy with the accuracy. Way better than the old garmin emap I have. I use either the navionics app which does satellite imagery and stores it offline. Or lately I've gone to trimbles GPS hunt pro app. Better management of offline maps than the navionics app. Very cheap solutions vs buying a stand alone unit and maps. The navionics app easily shares tracks to export back home into google earth. I have alway been interested in the rhinos too as I really like the idea of being able to see where your hunting partners are. There are app for your phone that will do that too but need to be in an area with cell service and the apps usually aren't really geared towards hunting. Just my 2¢.
Stuk

v-king
10-23-2013, 12:41 PM
What are these external batteries for an iphone you speak of?

albravo2
10-23-2013, 12:48 PM
What are these external batteries for an iphone you speak of?

pretty sure i just saw another good thread on external batteries. think ourea started it a few days ago.

if i'm correct, they aren't iphone specific.

i have one (costco, $19,99) and i can use to recharge my samsung phone, it will also run my delorme inreach.

it is a nice backup. phone batteries are notoriously short lived but i find my phone very convenient and the gps works fine even way outside cell service.

Singleshotneeded
10-24-2013, 01:51 PM
For those of you that are looking at the Oregon, Garmin has changed the screen type this year to the same type that the iPhone uses, and it doesn't work well in the rain and not at all with gloves on. The previous Oregons, and the current Montanas, use a pressure sensitive screen that does work in the rain and with gloves on. Just wanted to let you guys know, so if you've tried an older Oregon and you're buying it based on the pressure sensitive screen, you won't get caught by this change. Get an older Oregon or a Montana if you want the pressure screen that works with gloves and in the rain.

Tenacious Billy
10-24-2013, 02:03 PM
For those of you that are looking at the Oregon, Garmin has changed the screen type this year to the same type that the iPhone uses, and it doesn't work well in the rain and not at all with gloves on. The previous Oregons, and the current Montanas, use a pressure sensitive screen that does work in the rain and with gloves on. Just wanted to let you guys know, so if you've tried an older Oregon and you're buying it based on the pressure sensitive screen, you won't get caught by this change. Get an older Oregon or a Montana if you want the pressure screen that works with gloves and in the rain.

I ended up going with a Garmin 62s largely because of this.........The Oregons' are definitely a sweet price at Costco, but seemed more fitting for fair-weather folks - My father-in-law picked one up and he's exactly that.

The 62s reviewed as being a more durable/user friendly unit with the push-buttons as opposed to the kitten-wristed touch screen of the Oregon. So far, so good.......

Chopper
10-24-2013, 02:22 PM
I have been using an Oregon 450 for 3 years. Top notch unit, will do everything mentioned and more. I paid almost 500, but I saw them at Costco recently for 199. That's a steal

I have an Oregon 450 too, no complaints, awesome little unit

i like the size of the oregon 450T that i have and the programing the best but the screan is really hard to see in the sun. My montana 650 is nice but the programing is sometimes odd to me being use to the oregon. if i was going to use one GPS for everything id go with the montana i guess.

Oregon is unreal ... only choice IMO for a hand held you want to hike with. I feel naked with out it, The Topo on the SD cards is amazing , ive never had problems with mine in sub zero as it is warm in my pocket most of the time. Mount it to your dash in the truck with the 12v charger and it has all the back roads you can imagine.

Although heavier the Montana is basically the same unit with a larger screen , also amzing ... I prefer the Oregon , far lighter ... better for hiking.

Grab either unit and you will wonder what you did all these years with out one

kootenayslam
10-27-2013, 04:34 PM
anybody use the rino 650? seems to get good reviews on cabelas site, i'm most concerned about radio clarity and distance in the mountains? feedback on it?

Aries
10-28-2013, 03:48 AM
Every feature you mentioned is found on the Etrex 20, for less money.

I bought a Garmin etrex20 last month and have been out in the woods in the cold and rain. Works great. Bought it at gpscity.ca for $166. I didn't bother with backroads maps as I already have that in book form, so I did a google search and found http://www.robloranger.ca/vanisle_map.html I downloaded Rob's maps and another one from here http://gpsfiledepot.com/maps/country/ca I downloaded BaseCamp, connected my GPS with USB and loaded the map pack onto it as well as updated the GPS using BaseCamp. With its 1.79GB of internal storage, you definitely DO NOT need a microSD card! The maps themselves take up much less room on the GPS unit then their download size. BaseCamp makes it easy to plan routes and tracks and add your own waypoints with descriptions. If you have a garmin GPS and are not using it with basecamp I highly recommend it. Other reasons I bought the etrex20 was its outstanding battery life and durability.

edit: Oh I should add, I also have an iphone and an android and yea, you can use their GPS functions for free and get google earth for free but there are huge drawbacks to using a phone vs a dedicated GPS. The first is battery life. Even on airplane mode, when using the GPS batteries drain out extremely fast, more so on iphones. Second, they don't work well in the cold, the screens freeze up, don't respond well unless you take your gloves off, respond erratically when wet or greasy, then when it gets even colder, the phones themselves SHUT DOWN AUTOMATICALLY until warmed up to normal temps. They also are not the most reliable things in the first place and you're limited to basic functionality only...not a device to rely on in case of bad weather or any kind of emergency.

270ruger
10-28-2013, 06:05 AM
Just remember if your using your phone as a gps to have all your settings on mute.I was hunting and somehow got cell service and forgot to put phone on mute,nothing like announcing your location.Phone stays in the pocket,gps only,know your area and how to use a compass also.

Gateholio
10-28-2013, 06:41 AM
I've been using GPS for many years, I wouldn't trust a phone GPS for anything but close to the road stuff. I've used them but the short battery life and the relative fragility of phones gives me cause for concern.

Singleshotneeded
10-28-2013, 11:32 AM
I ended up going with a Garmin 62s largely because of this.........The Oregons' are definitely a sweet price at Costco, but seemed more fitting for fair-weather folks - My father-in-law picked one up and he's exactly that.

The 62s reviewed as being a more durable/user friendly unit with the push-buttons as opposed to the kitten-wristed touch screen of the Oregon. So far, so good.......
I've used the 60csx for years...zero issues...the screen could be a tiny bit bigger, but outside of that, I'm happy! The 62s is the 60's son, so it should work great for you for years as well...

Singleshotneeded
10-28-2013, 11:40 AM
anybody use the rino 650? seems to get good reviews on cabelas site, i'm most concerned about radio clarity and distance in the mountains? feedback on it?
Kootenay, make sure you get the 5 watt Rino from the US, not the 2 watt Canadian version. You'll have to order it and pick it up at the border, at least in the past most US sites won't ship a 5 watt radio here. A hand held radio in average bush conditions gets about a kilometer of range per watt, sometimes a bit more. The exception is if you're on the shore of a large lake and you have line-of-sight with the guy talking on the other radio...across the water you get great range! :-)

kootenayslam
10-28-2013, 11:42 AM
Good tip on the 5W thanks.

Chopper
10-28-2013, 01:12 PM
I've been using GPS for many years, I wouldn't trust a phone GPS for anything but close to the road stuff. I've used them but the short battery life and the relative fragility of phones gives me cause for concern.

I completely agree

J_T
10-28-2013, 01:18 PM
Are the newer garmin GPS units better. I have a rhino 530 and its has been the biggest piece of crap. I have had to send it in 3 times for a refurb. First time after one year. Then again just over a year and then again just over a year. Not getting it fixed again. But what are my options. Garmins warranty is horrible If you don't want it, how much would you like for it? In our crew, we all use the Garmin Rhino. Great unit. Have had them for probably 5 or 6 years. With a couple of new ones added each year.