PDA

View Full Version : Tactics with recent forest fire areas

Moe.JKU
09-12-2013, 02:09 PM
I have been doing a lot of research on my own getting topo maps, google earth, and other resources i have bought. However, there was a recent forest fire in the MU that I am going to.
My question is how this will effect that area? Should i not hunt in the area that recently had a fire? Or will there be new growth already showing on the bottom as feed for animals? or would it be better to just look around in a different area in the area.
I do not have time to make a trip up there, and scout or i would. Any info on how to go about hunting areas that have been affected by forest fires would be great. Dont want to give out the region because i'm not looking for peoples spots. just a general guideline, oh and its an shared leh so i'm restricted to travelling to a completely different are maybe a different spot of the b region.
Thank you, Moe.

Sofa King
09-12-2013, 03:28 PM
go hunt it.
after the Kelowna fire, there was plenty of game in the area the following season.
it got trickier to hunt, as they could see you coming a mile away.
but I got more deer after the fire than before it.

ruger#1
09-12-2013, 03:33 PM
Animals seem to like that black ash for some reason. Not sure if they eat it, Or just like walking in it. I would hunt the fringes of the burn.

Sofa King
09-12-2013, 03:37 PM
yup.
every time I drive through an area that was logged recently, wherever there's a spot where they burned a slash-pile, there's always deer tracks stomping through it.

Darksith
09-12-2013, 03:39 PM
I have been doing a lot of research on my own getting topo maps, google earth, and other resources i have bought. However, there was a recent forest fire in the MU that I am going to.
My question is how this will effect that area? Should i not hunt in the area that recently had a fire? Or will there be new growth already showing on the bottom as feed for animals? or would it be better to just look around in a different area in the area.
I do not have time to make a trip up there, and scout or i would. Any info on how to go about hunting areas that have been affected by forest fires would be great. Dont want to give out the region because i'm not looking for peoples spots. just a general guideline, oh and its an shared leh so i'm restricted to travelling to a completely different are maybe a different spot of the b region.
Thank you, Moe. If the fire was early in the year it might be worth hunting. If the fire was later in the year the odds are less that vegitation has sprung up already. I wouldn't hunt a fire the year it happened, but I would hunt a fire the following year for sure. Some factors that will change how an area rebounds from a fire is the amount of moisture and time its had to recover, as well as the intensity of the fire. Really hot fires can actually destroy everything and those areas take a lot longer to recover than an less intense burn. A fire removes the overbrush which opens up sunlight to the lower down food sources like blue bunch wheat grass which is a mule deer favorite. Burns are excellent hunting areas, just gotta winter to get moisture back into the ground

Fringes would be worth it after a fresh burn or a burn of the same year. No different than a cut block edge...

Moe.JKU
09-12-2013, 03:45 PM
Ok that was somewhat what I was worried about it happened this year, and just ended a recently. I had a feeling it would be good to look at it like a cut block, but wasn't sure. Might have to move around a lot more than expected to find some moose. Ill keep looking for pictures and reports.

ruger#1
09-12-2013, 03:49 PM
If they used a fire ******ant on the fire. Then it might be a lot better. They use red iron oxide and a fertilizer with a jelling mix. The deer might like the taste of the fertilizer or iron oxide.

Darksith
09-12-2013, 04:15 PM
Ok that was somewhat what I was worried about it happened this year, and just ended a recently. I had a feeling it would be good to look at it like a cut block, but wasn't sure. Might have to move around a lot more than expected to find some moose. Ill keep looking for pictures and reports.

Moose? You didn't say that. I though u were talking deer. Moose will be less likely to be found in a fresh burn. You want a burn that is 3-5 years old for moose as thats when their main foods start to really come up. Now that doesn't mean they won't be in there, but it wouldn't be the first place I go looking for a moose.

Darksith
09-12-2013, 04:19 PM
If they used a fire ******ant on the fire. Then it might be a lot better. They use red iron oxide and a fertilizer with a jelling mix. The deer might like the taste of the fertilizer or iron oxide.

yeah, they also use sulfer oxide which is a major component in the concoction known as mustard gas...mmm tumors are tasty

Moe.JKU
09-12-2013, 04:32 PM
Moose? You didn't say that. I though u were talking deer. Moose will be less likely to be found in a fresh burn. You want a burn that is 3-5 years old for moose as thats when their main foods start to really come up. Now that doesn't mean they won't be in there, but it wouldn't be the first place I go looking for a moose.
Yes, shared moose hunt between 3 of us. there is lots of room to move around in 5-12b anyways so and we have 13 days up there to get two and what ever else we see. Maybe some wolves if we see any, to help the area out. or deer main focus is moose though.

ruger#1
09-12-2013, 04:48 PM
yeah, they also use sulfer oxide which is a major component in the concoction known as mustard gas...mmm tumors are tasty Thats another Monsanto Thing. I used to make Phoscheck for them at Coast Agri. That shit was nasty.

shotgunner
09-12-2013, 09:21 PM
all the experts come out of the bush ??? Fire is good for game. Within days after a fire new growth starts ( especially willow ). I've seen moose feeding while we were fighting large fires still. Fire ******ant is monosodium Phosphate fertilizer, iron oxide for colour and guarr gum for thickener( same as chewing gum has ). So, go hunting and expect game to be near. (ps) I spent 36 years fighting fires in the province.

Ltbullken
09-13-2013, 09:26 AM
i'd go check to see what sort of growth has come up. If there is greenery then the animals will be hitting iit. They love the new growth, great food for them. Get to a good vantage point and glass near an area that has good greenery with access to good cover. My 2 cents...