PDA

View Full Version : Technology - Advantage vs Disadvantage

The Hermit
09-11-2013, 01:55 PM
Like teenaged sex my much anticipated elk hunt for 2013 was over all too soon. After 8 years of trying I've yet to loose an arrow at an elk, but I'd be willing to put in another 10 for the opportunity that I blew this year! CRAP!!

Arriving in camp a couple days before the opener and after a long 12.5 hr trip from the rock my anticipation and hopes for the hunt were pretty high. I had a plan and was pretty confident that it would play out for either myself or Spy. I'd been seeing elk pretty regularly on top of a certain ridge for a few years and decided to set up a couple tree stands beside the trails and just set back from the opens that the elk feed in.

http://i44.tinypic.com/n4i1lc.jpg

On day two we were cow calling in the late morning when finally, music to my ears... a bull bugled not too far away. I got on the bugle quickly and let out a quick chirp and a couple funky chuckles... all the guys laugh at my bugling inability but this bull seemed to like it as he made a hell of a racket climbing up the rocky trail to find me. After what seemed an eternity a big spike came into view. He was clearly looking for the herd Spy and I had been pretending to be...

So this season I decided to hunt with my new Limbsaver Proton and got it outfitted with a Leupold Vendetta rangefinder. For those of you that may not be familiar with the Vendetta, in a nutshell it is a bow-mounted rangefinder that is activated with a remote button attached to the bow's handle. When you come to full draw and align your twenty yard pin on the target and touch the button the Vendetta will give you the angle adjusted yardage. Once you know the yardage you are supposed to adjust your aim using the appropriate pin and then release a very accurate shot!

So, I ranged the spike at 72 yards and held ranging him again him at 56 yards where he held up for a l o n g time. I was swearing under my breath at Spy because for some reason he had stopped cow calling?? (Turns out that at the same time he had a cow at 10 yards and a couple 5 points trailing her up his side of the hill) I had to let down... eventually he walked a few yards closer ... I came to full draw again and ranged him at 46 yards and perfectly broadside... this is when my heart thumped, and my knees knocked, and my brain froze in the first full blown bull fever I've had since being a teenager! I put my fifty yard pin on him and raised it up just a tad higher to accommodate the extra six yards and loosed my first ever arrow at an elk.

If you were reading closely above you will see the mistake... my perfectly shot arrow for 56 yards sailed harmlessly 1" over that lucky spiker, glanced off a rock and carried on for about another 75 yards sticking in a sapling around 8 feet up (took two hours of looking to find the darn thing!)

Later that night back at camp... I probably had a couple beers and a stiff scotch!

http://i42.tinypic.com/2upy70y.jpg

So in all I still think the Vendetta is a great tool but I'm not so sure about my intelligence! Damn!!

Bowzone_Mikey
09-11-2013, 02:24 PM
Well done troop ... the Tech did its job flawlessly ... its the idiot that couldnt interpret the tech that messed up ;)

It happens buddy ... at least it was a clean miss

single pin sights ... range him at 46 ..set the pin at 46 ... only got one pin to use ... just sayin ;)

Onesock
09-11-2013, 02:28 PM
You would have had the same amount of meat had you been hunting with your longbow. Or..........being a dumb spiker he would have came into 15 yds and you would have shot him. Or......he would have walked away at 56, I mean 46 yards and you wouldn't have shot. Saving grace is not looking for your arrow for 2 hrs and had more hunting time. Either way a stick beats technology. Right?

Ron.C
09-11-2013, 02:34 PM
Sounds like you had a good trip Bill. Keep at it, sooner or later you'll connect.

p.s. maybe you ought to stick to the traditional stuff :-D

09-11-2013, 02:34 PM
So how did Spy do on the 5x5 lol!

Elkaddict
09-11-2013, 02:43 PM
Next year Hermit, next year!! Sucks that you threw one over his back, but you didn't leave an injured elk in the bush and the adrenaline you had pumping will most likely carry you right through to next Sept.:) It's that kinda stuff that keeps me going back year after year.

On a different note, I saw a SS Excalibur in .260 Rem on the consignment list on the PR site the other day if you don't have to have a 308.

greybark
09-11-2013, 06:29 PM
Hey Bill , you gave it your best . How was the weather ?
Cheers....

The Hermit
09-11-2013, 06:47 PM
We had a really mixed bag on the weather front. First couple days were clear, hot and humid, then the thunder and lightening storm that sent a current of water coursing thru the middle of the tent, and then the last couple days were pretty nice again. I was using anew lightweight nylon wall tent this year and given the incredible humidity and extreme dampness camping beside the river I was all in all pretty happy with it. I also took along a tiny little "Seek Outside" collapsible titanium stove which is definitely a summer kit and it too did a great job given how freaky wet everything got. I went back to a 5' porch this year and will be upgrading to the 10' porch again... in clear weather the 5' is fine but when its real wet or real hot and sunny the extra covered space is great. The biggest hit in camp, besides the First Lite Merino stuff the all the boys kept trying to steal was my new lighting invention... I plan to build and market LED lightening kits for the different sized tents, that run off a 12 volt battery and provide instant bright light inside and outside the tent! They come in different colours too if you plan a romantic time away wiht your GF, Wife, or broke back friends! ;-)