PDA

View Full Version : I remember that day, Sept 11

BigfishCanada
09-11-2013, 10:30 AM
Like it was yesterday, 12 years wow... The moment, the morning, I thought the world war 3 started that day. Not a good memory at all.

http://youtu.be/o2NXDJ4FabE

Fella
09-11-2013, 10:39 AM
I was 15. My alarm woke me up for school and the radio station it was tuned to was giving a news report that a "small Cessna has reportedly crashed into the WTC". I turned the TV on and instantly knew it was something far more serious. Then I saw the second plane hit on live TV. I remember the halls at school were the quietest and most somber than normal.

warnniklz
09-11-2013, 10:46 AM
I remember that day.

My father, his friend from the states, my step mom and myself(14 at the time) were all in bella coola fishing. We went into hagensbourg to grab some ice. The lady working there said there had been a terrorist attack in New York and the two world trade center towers had crumbled. We couldn't really comprehend what we were being told.

My dad's friend was a little more distraught. We decided to go take a tour of the petroglyphs that day instead of going fishing. Ran into a full dress rocky mountain ranger. We all got into discussion about basically everything really.

Rode back to Williams Lake with my dad's friend and kept asking me a bunch of questions, I think he was still in disbelief.

One Shot
09-11-2013, 10:48 AM
I do as well very much, as I was across the river in Newark,NJ. I had been working in NJ for the past year and my mother passed away on the 10th. I went to the Newark airport on trying to get to get a flight to Seattle on the morning of the 11th when the planes hit the towers. Although I could not see the buildings anymore directly I could see all the smoke and air borne debris. It was a quite and somber drive that week across the nation. I was at the towers the Memorial day weekend with firends and took pictures of the towers. I also took pictures that morning of the 11th. With those pictures I have a US flag that Walmart was giving out that morning along the roadway.

09-11-2013, 10:49 AM
I remember that day....
38 years ago today i was bourn...... I kinda like today.

As for The Trade Center,,,, i was 25 miles off shore guiding a boat load of people.. we were all listening to the radio and not fishing..
Sure as heck made my birthday memorable to people....

Philcott
09-11-2013, 11:36 AM
Like you we were in the woods. We got back to the "resort" and the lady there had a sign out for us to come in. She was very distraught and we all sat there catching up on the events of the day. No supper that night but lots of rum.

This is a song I play every 9/11. Written by a friend of mine in the months after the buildings came down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knPgxER5RLk

I remember that day.

My father, his friend from the states, my step mom and myself(14 at the time) were all in bella coola fishing. We went into hagensbourg to grab some ice. The lady working there said there had been a terrorist attack in New York and the two world trade center towers had crumbled. We couldn't really comprehend what we were being told.

My dad's friend was a little more distraught. We decided to go take a tour of the petroglyphs that day instead of going fishing. Ran into a full dress rocky mountain ranger. We all got into discussion about basically everything really.

Rode back to Williams Lake with my dad's friend and kept asking me a bunch of questions, I think he was still in disbelief.

ncurrie
09-11-2013, 11:38 AM
I sat on the couch with my brand new baby daughter, just absolutely horrified. Thinking how I could bring a baby into a world like this. I thought for sure world war 3 was about to start.

HarryToolips
09-11-2013, 12:04 PM
Yup that was a crazy day

RINO
09-11-2013, 12:17 PM
Glued to the tube for days....

Bowzone_Mikey
09-11-2013, 12:17 PM
Was in Calgary living/working .... driving into work I heard on the radio that a cessna had crashed into the WTC ... It wasnt the first time I didnt pay much attention to it ... however I did notice when I got out of my truck that an airliner was overhead fairly low in a holding pattern(was not a normal flight line as airspace over my job site is normally restricted)
Got into the shop and my partner and boss were there allready (we started at 730 .. this was 715 MST) Watching TV in the shop/lunch room

Needless to say ... Not alot got done that day .... a good friend that worked at the same place as I lost his sister that day in the WTC where she worked.

BiG Boar
09-11-2013, 12:27 PM
2 words:

inside job

However I really feel for the families as there was a lot of innocent lives taken that day.

f350ps
09-11-2013, 12:29 PM
Seems like it was yesterday! I was sitting in a goose blind just like I was today, and we were getting updates by cell phone every few minutes. K

Vinny
09-11-2013, 12:44 PM
Walked out of class in college and was greeted with a television just showing the second plane crash, live...not a day I would like to relive...

Darksith
09-11-2013, 01:12 PM
yupppppsdsxzf

luckofthedraw
09-11-2013, 01:19 PM
18 years old. Spent the night in drunk tank for being stupid with some friends. Dad was a municipal police officer (now retired) and the bay door of the cop shop opened up for me when I was released. Dad was sitting in his cruiser just glaring at me. I got in the car, he asked "what happend". I told him I was being dumb and got caught, he said "yup" and then told me of the WTC, it was approx 0900am. I never got in trouble after that. May the many lives lost RIP.

Sofa King
09-11-2013, 02:09 PM
I had just moved to Kelowna from Kamloops the year before.
we started work late that day, so I hadn't left the house yet.
saw it unfold on tv, then reluctantly went to work and we all listened to the radio the whole day listening to the events.

that day changed the world.

digger dogger
09-11-2013, 04:19 PM
I was deer/bear hunting, we got stopped by a guy who asked if we heard any bad news..
Nope I answered, he then asked if we were ok hearing some bad news?
I thought I don't know this guy, so I said "lets hear it"
My heart sank as he told us. Not a lot said for the rest of the day....
But on a good note, it is my mom-inlaws B-day...

landphil
09-11-2013, 04:29 PM
I had just moved out of home the week before, started college, didn't think much of the news when I first heard it. It took a while for the reality to sink in. And Big Boar, I don't disagree with you, and as you say, a horrific tragedy no matter who was really behind it.

fuzzybiscuit
09-11-2013, 06:36 PM
I was at the east end of horsefly lake looking for my LEH Moose. Some guys pulled up and told us what they heard on the radio, then pulled away. We couldn't get radio reception and after a while just figured they were pull our leg. Were we ever wrong.

Andy83
09-11-2013, 06:56 PM
I was 18 years old. I showed up for work and the guys were all sitting quiet around the lunch table listening to AM1150 and we all thought it was WW3 starting. Pretty quiet day around the shop for sure.

Rob Chipman
09-11-2013, 07:21 PM
A friend and I were planning a trip to the States.
She called and said "I guess we aren't going"
"Why?"
"Turn on your TV"

I did, just in time to see the jet fly into tower 2.

It'll be a long time until I forget that morning.

Cookie1965
09-11-2013, 07:26 PM
I heard about it when I was getting ready for work, someone called and I turned on the TV. I woke up the wife and went to the shop. I was working on a site in White Rock that day and there sure wasn't much work getting done - guys all huddled together talking. Then my wife called to tell me her cousin who worked in one of the trade centre buildings was missing and it all came home pretty hard for me. It turned out he was fine - he'd been late for work so was in the lobby when the plane hit and couldn't get hold of anyone since all communications were down while he walked home.

Sitkaspruce
09-11-2013, 08:37 PM
Was sleeping when the GF yelled at me to get up and watch was was happening on TV.....I'll never forget watching that second plane....never.....

That day screwed up our first caribou hunt, we barely got in, but a good friend from Colorado was due to come with us....he never made it as all planes were grounded.

Sad day for the world and it has never been the same since.

Cheers

SS

M.Dean
09-11-2013, 09:15 PM
There was a show on a year or two after the attacks, it was all on how and where all the bloody big Jet Planes landed after the U.S. shut down all air traffic every where. They showed all the planes in, I believe Gander NFL. Or was it Labrador??? Doesn't really matter, the main topic of the show was what in hell all the passengers did for sleeping arrangements, food, showers etc! Well, being the typical good Canadians we are, the local people for miles and miles around took in the hundreds and hundreds of stranded passenger's, from all over the world! The show interviewed quite a few of the folks that were stranded, and some of the story's brought tears to my eyes! It was wild to see people helping people in need on such a huge scale!!! I remember one of the storys where the family that was looking after a group of stranded folks, besides feeding them and letting them have the run of there homes when they were at work, they took the time to also take the group out on sight seeing tours around the Island!!! The thing I remember the most was the day the Jets were allowed to fly again was the vapor trails in the sky! In the morning you could all most count the trails in the sky, like long white ribbons carrying everyone back home, then, and it didn't take to long, the sky was totally white with what looked like clouds, but it was totally made up of vapor trails!!! It was so nice to hear from the passengers, how, with everything else aside, how they enjoyed being looked after by the local Canadians! My hats off to all the local people who went well out of there way to turn such a tragic event, one that most would try to forget, into some great memory's for the stranded Passengers!

Philcott
09-12-2013, 07:24 AM
That might have been us Fuzzy. After it happened we continued our hunt and told every hunting group we saw since most didn't have the ability to get the news.

Sure made it a weird hunt.

I was at the east end of horsefly lake looking for my LEH Moose. Some guys pulled up and told us what they heard on the radio, then pulled away. We couldn't get radio reception and after a while just figured they were pull our leg. Were we ever wrong.

Blainer
09-12-2013, 07:31 AM
Truck was loaded,hunting partner was running late when the phone range and he said I should sit down and turn on the news.
Quite some discussions for our drive in.
Surreal

Islandeer
09-12-2013, 07:45 AM
I was on duty, glued to the tv with my crew .... never forget the fallen.

huntinnewbie
09-12-2013, 07:51 AM
We were camping on Galiano Island at the provincial park, Montague Harbour. My young neice had gone to the water tap to brush her teeth and overheard someone saying there was an attack on the USA. She told us when she got back so we dug out our old portable TV and hooked it up.
Sitting outside the motorhome we turned it on just in time to see the second plane.
Pretty soon I think we had half the campsite sitting watching the events unfold.
Strangers coming together to share the tragedies of that awful day.
Then watching plane after plane coming over the gulf islands to land where ever possible. By the afternoon the sky was empty and so quiet.
We were there for the week and it was strange to be out fishing and look up at that empty sky.

huntingmom
09-12-2013, 11:09 AM
My husband was on his way to work when he phoned me to let know that the US was under attack.
The images of people jumping out of those towers haunted me for months after that.

Kudu
09-12-2013, 11:12 AM
We were living in the UK (just got there really) watched the events unfold on sky television and wondered what the hell was going to happen next!

BRvalley
09-12-2013, 11:22 AM
Grade 13 OAC biology class, disecting a pig fetus....I was in southern ON and a lot of local firefighters and other volunteer emergency people from my hometown were on buses the next couple days to go down to help

I don't consider myself a conspiracy nut, but I hope I live long enough to find out the real truth behind that day

Rackem
09-12-2013, 11:30 AM
I was 30, nursing my newborn baby in the rocking chair early in the morning, had no tv but was listening to CBC, at first I thought it was some kind of CBC program but when I realized that it was a real thing, I was worried that this would be the start of a worldwide economic collapse, and was glad I was up North in Prince George and not in the lower Mainland.

Didn't see the video footage til we went to a friends house that had TV. Haunting...

Caveman
09-12-2013, 11:55 AM
I was packing up to come home from Whitehorse after a caribou and moose hunt. I remember watching the news thinking it was a prank, War of the Worlds type thing. Stopped in Watson Lake at a burger stand and was in line behind a couple American tourists watching the new casts and hearing them say, "Someone's Gonna Pay""

HarryToolips
09-12-2013, 11:59 AM
I was packing up to come home from Whitehorse after a caribou and moose hunt. I remember watching the news thinking it was a prank, War of the Worlds type thing. Stopped in Watson Lake at a burger stand and was in line behind a couple American tourists watching the new casts and hearing them say, "Someone's Gonna Pay""
And I hope it's the government guys who did this to their own people: evidence points to the inside job..after all, the American economy is good when the wheels of war are turning..

Philcott
09-12-2013, 01:07 PM
Dru, the link didn't work for me.

luckofthedraw
09-12-2013, 01:17 PM
ya, the link doesn't work

Abashai
09-12-2013, 01:37 PM
I was coming back from the Kootneys with my dad on one of my first extended hunting trips. Stopped in at a Rock Creek sporting goods store and the guy had the news going on the radio. He goes "Terrible what's happened eh?". We were like huh? When he told us dad couldn't believe it at all and I couldn't comprehend it because I didn't even know what the world trade centers where. We stopped in at a Dairy Queen in Osoyoos and watched the replays on the TV. Very surreal.

09-12-2013, 01:46 PM
http://www.esquire.com/features/what-ive-learned/ESQ0102-JAN_WTC_rev?fb_action_ids=10101593878087401&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_ref=soc_fcbk&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%7B%2210101593878087401%22:10150 674058214060%7D&action_type_map=%7B%2210101593878087401%22:%22og.l ikes%22%7D&action_ref_map=%7B%2210101593878087401%22:%22soc_f cbk%22%7D

goatdancer
09-12-2013, 06:01 PM
The biggest mistake Bush made was not turning Afghanistan into a glowing parking lot that could be seen from Jupiter. Considering that most of the terrorists were Saudis, why are they still best buds with the US?

David Heitsman
09-13-2013, 12:34 PM
I was about 25K up the Sikanni from the main ranch on the last day of a 10 day hunt. Mr. Hammett was flying in to get me in his Supercub. As we loaded my gear he kept going on about planes and towers and it being just like a Bruce Willis movie. I didn't fully understand him and wanted to talk about my muzzle loader hunt. After landing, I noticed the generator running, it never ran in the day time. I walked to the lodge and here was a dozen hunters and guides gathered around the big screen TV. I walked up and realized Mike had been telling me an actual event and not recapping some film. The next day at the FSJ airport, confusion was paramount as the clients were all trying to work there way back. I got off in Vancouver, not realizing yet how much air travel and my life would change in the years to follow.

nuadixion
09-13-2013, 10:23 PM
Something to "Chew On" The OnOfficial Version. The Truth is Stranger than Fiction. http://911scholars.org/

It was the nazis who created the Propaganda Machine - lead by Goebels - it proved to be very successful in misleading the nation. Every german soldier was wearing belt buckle that said "Got Mit Uns " which means " God Is with Us" US regime has adopted/learned a lot of knowledge from the nazis.

IronNoggin
09-14-2013, 10:06 AM
I was fishing in the chuck with a Good Buddy who is now disabled and cannot do so any more...

The radio became alive with chatter about "The World Trade Center" - numerous references while we scratched our noggins trying to decipher WHERE this was a code name for out on the Big Pond. We figured there was some HOT fishing there due to all the radio traffic, simply not putting it together.

When one 'Merican informed his Buddy that ALL air traffic in North America had been canned, we started to wonder. Then another hint - a second aircraft has hit the WTC?? WTF :confused:

Pulled the gear, ran in and scrambled to get in front of a television (RARE for both of us). We watched, HORRIFIED as the events of that day unfolded.

The world as we knew it changed Dramatically that day, and none for the better.
Given developments since, I sincerely doubt we will ever return to those simpler times...

Nog

MB_Boy
09-14-2013, 10:12 AM
I recall it well. I had to be at a meeting at Powell River Hospital and was sitting at Horseshoe Bay waiting for the first ferry when I heard it all on the radio. Just sat there in disbelief. When I got over to the Earl's Cove/Saltery ferry I came into Saltery and there was about 15 loggers standing around looking for a ride back into Powell River as their float planes had been grounded to get them into camp. Between myself and another SUV we loaded them all into our vehicles and had one seriously crowded drive into Powell.

From Powell I had to get to Campbell River that night and never was able to "see" any of the footage until about 7pm that night......I remember just sitting in my hotel room in absolute disbelief.

To this day when I think about all that lost their lives and those INCREDIBLY brave men and women who lost their trying to save others.......I can't help but get a bit of a lump in my throat.