PDA

View Full Version : Opening day

Cookie1965
09-11-2013, 09:40 AM
Went up to the cabin Monday afternoon. Saw a dozen grouse, a half dozen hare and a 2 point on the drive in. I've been in a pissy mood lately so when I suggested a quick trip for myself the wife jumped at the chance to be rid of me. Got up early Yesterday morning, brewed a pot of coffee, threw my stuff in the truck and headed up the hill.

I stopped over a cut block before first light and set myself up, thermos, sandwich, binocs, Savage 99c in .308, sipped my coffee and watched a beautiful sunrise over the valley. Didn't see any deer then but really, that's not what this was about.

I spent 6 or 7 hours just noodling around the logging roads, stopping to hunt a bit, or eat a sandwich, I'm never as happy as when I'm out in the bush. Yesterday I realized I need a bird dog, and a book on edible mushrooms - never seen so many mushrooms in my life as yesterday. I saw a dozen deer during the day, mostly does and 2 spikes. I took 3 hares and 2 grouse, including one with my grandfathers 28ga SxS, the one in my avatar. But yesterday wasn't about filling the freezer, it was about being outdoors.

I spent a lot of time thinking yesterday. My cousin had a kid 25 years ago on the day our grandfather died. The grandfather who gave me that little shotgun. That kid just committed suicide over drugs, part of the reason I've been feeling so pissy. I lived with that kid and his mom for a while when he was 2. I introduced them to his stepfather. He used to sit on my lap and I told him stories about hunting. I gave him his first knife, which had been my grandfathers. He was a good kid, hooked on drugs he was prescribed for pain from hurting his back at work. Now he's dead.

I prescribed myself a day outdoors for the pain. It seems to be working but I'll need to refill the prescription soon.

Philcott
09-11-2013, 09:48 AM
Cookie,

Sorry for your families loss. I think many of us here get solstice from being in the woods. Get back up there and get your head right.

CBH
09-11-2013, 09:48 AM
Beautiful story Cookie, thank you for sharing! and very sorry for your loss!

Darksith
09-11-2013, 09:55 AM
Keep at the remedy, it + time will get you right again. Sometimes life sucks, I hear ya brother..as always, here if you need us

BigfishCanada
09-11-2013, 10:47 AM
Man, when life has its challenges Ill remember your advice and follow suite. Good share!

GoodPartner
09-11-2013, 11:06 AM
Thanks for your story, sorry for your loss.

Weatherby Fan
09-11-2013, 11:06 AM
Great story and thanks for sharing, I find the solitude of hunting is my favorite time of the year, you hit the nail on the head about just being out there, harvesting a deer is just a bonus.

Sorry for your loss buddy, don't wait to long to go again.
WF

Cookie1965
09-11-2013, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the kind words all. I get my next dose on the weekend of the 20th, taking my son hunting for a couple of days, should be good, hope it cools down. My birthday is that weekend too, so I dropped some hints on a mushroom identification book when I got home last night :)

HarryToolips
09-11-2013, 12:02 PM
Good story man sorry for your loss, drugs are terrible, good luck on the 20th, I think its youth season all month aint it??

bigbuckbuster
09-11-2013, 12:36 PM
Sorry to hear about this cookie. I find that the woods are the best prescription for me as well. I lost my hunting partner last month. I try not to think about him at work but that's all I want to think about when I'm out in the bush...it helps. Best of luck this year

doubled
09-11-2013, 12:41 PM
Cookie, tough one man but you are doing exactly what the doc would want you to. Keep at it and like others have said, it WILL get better. Go nail a monster this year bro!!!!

Vinny
09-11-2013, 12:50 PM
Great story, sorry for the loss. I got my elk on Sept 9 this year and when I got home and was celebrating I was informed that a friend of the family had passed away earlier in the day. Talk about hi to low, gonna have to get out and be one with the deer now...

Cookie1965
09-12-2013, 08:30 AM
Good story man sorry for your loss, drugs are terrible, good luck on the 20th, I think its youth season all month aint it??

Yes, youth season until the 30th, hopefully it cools down too!

hare_assassin
09-12-2013, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the kind words all. I get my next dose on the weekend of the 20th, taking my son hunting for a couple of days, should be good, hope it cools down. My birthday is that weekend too, so I dropped some hints on a mushroom identification book when I got home last night :)

Thanks for posting your thoughts and sorry to hear about your loss.

Regarding the mushroom book, my daughter bought me this one http://www.amazon.com/National-Audubon-Society-American-Mushrooms/dp/0394519922 for Christmas last year. It is fantastic!

One of the easiest to identify is the "shaggy mane". They are delicious and they plentiful out there right now!

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/images/zurowski/zurowski_coprinus_comatus.jpg

Cookie1965
09-12-2013, 02:31 PM
Yeah I saw lots of those but wasn't confident enough to pick them. Too bad, they'd go nicely with the hare and grouse I'm cooking tonight.

Cookie1965
09-12-2013, 07:50 PM
After tonights feed of hare and grouse my daughter decided she wants to hunt too, so I'll be bringing her along on the 20th as well so she can get herself some grouse! Nothing cute, mind you, just ugly birds for her.

albravo2
09-12-2013, 08:49 PM
Happy hunting Cookie. Enjoy the time with your kids.

/a

Phoneguy
09-13-2013, 11:29 AM
Cookie, you called it right on the therapy. Sorry for your loss.

James

swamper
09-13-2013, 11:38 AM
I feel your pain Cookie. I lost one of my best friends and hunting partners in July. Deer camp this weekend just won't be the same without Dave being there with his guitar and awesome sense of humor. I'm sure there will be few stories told about him around the fire this weekend.