PDA

View Full Version : What's the processing time for a Hunter ID#?

Burnabyred
09-10-2013, 07:14 PM
We've got a potential new hunter joining us on our Elk hunt this year and he's left the CORE certification to the last minute. If all goes well, he'll pass the CORE on Saturday but I can't remember the steps to getting your Hunter ID#. Can anyone shed some light? He lives in Victoria so he should be able to drive straight to the Government office as needed.

BearStump
09-10-2013, 07:18 PM
If my memory serves me correctly. take your proof of passing the course to the govt aget pay your $30 fee to BCWF and get assigned hunter number right there. Then buy your license and tags there too.

Burnabyred
09-10-2013, 07:19 PM
I like that answer! Here's to hoping your memory serves... Thanks!

BearStump
09-10-2013, 07:22 PM
nice jackalope looks like a booner.

caddisguy
09-10-2013, 07:24 PM
Since he's in Victoria, if time permits he can mail the CORE results to BCWF. There is an option on the form to have the certification sent back via courier for a few dollars extra. The turn around time would likely be less than 5 business days.

BCWF cannot issue the Hunter Number, but once he has the certification from them, he can drive to the closest ServiceBC location to pick up the Hunter Number and hunting license.

Depending on when the trip is taking place, if he's in a rush and willing to come out to the mainland for a day, he can get it all done in one day by driving to BCWF in Surrey and then driving another 20 minutes to ServiceBC in Maple ridge.

I hope he passes. Best of luck on your hunt :D

BearStump
09-10-2013, 07:25 PM
d'oh sorry if my memory was incorrect

Burnabyred
09-10-2013, 07:31 PM
Dang, that's right, there's a 3rd step with BCWF. I think it still might work if he comes over to the Mainland a day early and gets 'er done. Otherwise, he can be camp biatch for the week and maybe it will light a fire under his a$$ next time...

caddisguy
09-10-2013, 07:47 PM
Dang, that's right, there's a 3rd step with BCWF. I think it still might work if he comes over to the Mainland a day early and gets 'er done. Otherwise, he can be camp biatch for the week and maybe it will light a fire under his a$$ next time...

I never did understand why they still have yet to modernize the process. If it can be done via post and with photocopied identification, I see no reason that these steps can not be done through email or fax. I think there's no pressure to make the system efficient because it is a once in a lifetime process for us, so we just forget about it and move on. I made a little noise about it hoping that maybe someday they clean it up for future hunters.

And yes, I was guilty of leaving things until last minute too ;-P

adriaticum
09-10-2013, 07:48 PM
You can do it all in one day.
Pass you test and go to the BCWF in Maple Ridge and get your hunter number.

cgizen
09-10-2013, 07:55 PM
I left mine to the last minute as well. Got my hunter number about a month ago. Timing for me was very fast, I mailed my core results to bcwf, did not opt for the rush processing. Mailed it on a Friday and by the next Friday I had my core certificate from bcwf. Then ran down to service bc and got my number. So from the time I sent in my results to getting my hunter number was just over a week.

Gs31
09-10-2013, 08:07 PM
Fyi....The Bcwf office is now on 188st at about 97th in port kells (Slurrey)

3006pg
09-10-2013, 08:24 PM
i went to service bc day after i passed mine and got my hunter number and license right there

keoke
09-10-2013, 08:37 PM
If your in a super tight bind opt for the initiation hunting license and let him shoot one of your tags

Steeleco
09-10-2013, 08:44 PM
There's a service Canada office a few blocks from the BCWF office. It's at 203 and 88th behind the McD's Look them up and see if they can do your hunter card. Then down the hill to WSS and he's on his way to his first hunt. Good luck.

sed8ed
09-11-2013, 08:29 AM
It has to be a ServiceBC location, not a Service Canada in order to issue your hunter number... closest ones to BCWF are maple ridge or squamish

Since your buddy is over there, I would check in with the ServiceBC counter and see if you can do all the steps there (maybe they have changed things slightly)... if not, then call the BCWF to see if you can overnight (purolator) the copies of your CORE course documents to them with a credit card number and have them overnight the docs back. That would have him set up to get his hunter number on Friday.

That method would cost about $35 in shipping costs though

Roughneck Country
09-11-2013, 09:28 AM
If you move to BC from another province and have your hunter safety already do you need to take the CORE?

What are the steps to being able to hunt as a resident, my father is moving to BC shortly and is an avid hunter and I am from the province next door so I am not familiar with the rules. Thanks in advance!

Phreddy
09-11-2013, 12:37 PM
I get a kick out of folks who leave it until the last minute before they try to register for a course. The they wonder why no one is doing one in the early season (it's because most of us hunt and run plenty of courses in the off season. If enough folks are interested in doing a challenge at the same time I might take an evening and do it, but I'm not willing to give up my bush time for one person who was to lazy and procrastinated til the last minute.
It's always good to see so many folks wanting to take up the sport, but there are limits. At $10 a crack at a challenge it's just not worth the time away from the bush.

Phreddy
09-11-2013, 12:38 PM
If you move to BC from another province and have your hunter safety already do you need to take the CORE?

What are the steps to being able to hunt as a resident, my father is moving to BC shortly and is an avid hunter and I am from the province next door so I am not familiar with the rules. Thanks in advance!

No. You don't.

bccanadian
09-11-2013, 02:28 PM
Since he's in Victoria, if time permits he can mail the CORE results to BCWF. There is an option on the form to have the certification sent back via courier for a few dollars extra. The turn around time would likely be less than 5 business days.

BCWF cannot issue the Hunter Number, but once he has the certification from them, he can drive to the closest ServiceBC location to pick up the Hunter Number and hunting license.

Depending on when the trip is taking place, if he's in a rush and willing to come out to the mainland for a day, he can get it all done in one day by driving to BCWF in Surrey and then driving another 20 minutes to ServiceBC in Maple ridge.

I hope he passes. Best of luck on your hunt :D

After years of putting it off, I finally did the core course last summer. So the process of getting the hunters number is still fresh in my mind and the info listed above is the straight poop in all details.
As has been said come over to the mainland EARLY in the day, go to the BCWF in Port Kells (Langley) with your results. Pay the fee and they give you a form. Drive across the Golden Ears Bridge which is only a couple of minutes away to Maple Ridge. Take the Lougheed Highway up to 225th Street. Turn left and park in the Haney Place Mall. Walk through the mall to the other side and across from the rec centre is a 6 story office blog. Service bc is on the ground floor close to the entrance that you will be going in. You can get your hunters number AND your hunting license and tags all at the same time.

Doing it this way, you can get it all done and still probably catch the ferry home the same day.

Getbent
09-11-2013, 02:38 PM
My son has just passed...does he have to be present or can I do this for him after he gets his card...been awhile fo rme

russm
09-11-2013, 02:43 PM
When I did mine the next day I brought the forms to bcwf they did why they do then I went to the nearest govt office and they did what they do and suddenly I was a hunter :D lol, the driving to and from takes the longest.

russm
09-11-2013, 02:44 PM
My son has just passed...does he have to be present or can I do this for him after he gets his card...been awhile fo rme

You'd likely need him with you since there's a couple signatures involved.

outdoorsk
09-11-2013, 02:44 PM
My son has just passed...does he have to be present or can I do this for him after he gets his card...been awhile fo rme You can do it for him with no problems. I did it for my oldest son the year.