PDA

View Full Version : lyman lures

Sofa King
09-10-2013, 02:24 PM
does anyone know what's going on with the company?

it's got a new owner, and now it's hard to even find the lures.
I've talked to a couple store owners and they said they'd been trying to contact lyman for ages to order etc, and can't get a hold of them and no calls back.
I talked to a guy at fred's bait in the wack and he said that lyman was transferring all their production, or maybe it was the painting, down to the prisons.
also heard that they have discontinued the smaller sizes.

not sure what's happening with them, but it doesn't seem as good as it was.
I know the painting was off ever since it was sold.

Sasqman
09-10-2013, 08:30 PM
I hope nothing is happening with them. They are by far my favorite lures when up at Lac de Roche.

Sofa King
09-10-2013, 09:58 PM
I hope nothing is happening with them. They are by far my favorite lures when up at Lac de Roche.

you probably use the smaller ones i'm guessing.
you'd be wise to snatch up any that you find.
I've noticed that now lure-Jensen is copying the small ones and some of the colours also.
but molded plastic ain't got shit on the wooden lures.
luckily I have three boxes of the 4" and up sizes.
and a whole mess of the small ones.

Dutch Ppoacher
09-10-2013, 10:18 PM
I did the same, bought up all I could afford last yr when I heard they wheren't selling 2&3" anymore very hard to find on the island these ddays caught my first 10lb cutie on them never lake fish with out them

actually these lures suck, don't bother fishing them, waste of time

dave_fras
09-11-2013, 08:25 AM
I was chatting with someone at ac sports a couple weekes ago.. They were saying thay lyman was trying to catch up on the bigger sizes! And we won't be making the small ones again till spring! Which sucks since the smallest size can work amazing!

bigbuckbuster
09-11-2013, 09:00 AM
does anyone know what's going on with the company?

it's got a new owner, and now it's hard to even find the lures.
I've talked to a couple store owners and they said they'd been trying to contact lyman for ages to order etc, and can't get a hold of them and no calls back.
I talked to a guy at fred's bait in the wack and he said that lyman was transferring all their production, or maybe it was the painting, down to the prisons.
also heard that they have discontinued the smaller sizes.

not sure what's happening with them, but it doesn't seem as good as it was.
I know the painting was off ever since it was sold.
I just spoke with them at a trade show last week. They are a line that is distributed by the Big Rock Distributors group. Colin Redisky is the President, he lives in Kalowna but the lures are made in correctional facility in Abbotsford. I'll see if I can get you a dealer list.

Sofa King
09-11-2013, 10:09 AM
I just spoke with them at a trade show last week. They are a line that is distributed by the Big Rock Distributors group. Colin Redisky is the President, he lives in Kalowna but the lures are made in correctional facility in Abbotsford. I'll see if I can get you a dealer list.

so they are actually made in the prison now?
I heard he was going to have the painting done there, guess they are saving $$ overall though.
and they probably got a gov't grant or something also.

I hope it's not true that they might discontinue the smaller sizes.
one would think they sell more of those than the larger ones.

it's a shame to see it go from a family-run operation in a smaller store to getting bought out and moved into the prisons.
definitely there's no love in each lure anymore.
they were so good too.
you could take any lure in there and have them paint your favourite lyman colours on it.

Dutch Ppoacher
09-15-2013, 08:57 PM
so they are actually made in the prison now?
it's a shame to see it go from a family-run operation in a smaller store to getting bought out and moved into the prisons.
definitely there's no love in each lure anymore.
they were so good too.
you could take any lure in there and have them paint your favorite Lyman colours on it.

i could have told you the love was gone at least 1.5 yrs ago when the paint jobs and the eye alignments went for a sh#t!
love these plugs but the quality has been crap lately, started redoing all the screws cause some wouldn't swim, they'd just tow in a strait line!!!

Sofa King
09-16-2013, 02:20 PM
i could have told you the love was gone at least 1.5 yrs ago when the paint jobs and the eye alignments went for a sh#t!
love these plugs but the quality has been crap lately, started redoing all the screws cause some wouldn't swim, they'd just tow in a strait line!!!

yup.
I noticed that shortly after the family sold the business.
the painting went straight downhill.

dmace
09-16-2013, 11:34 PM
Have you tried looking at Tomic lures ? Check out their web site / they will do some custom paint work , don't know if they can copy the Lyman body though .

Sofa King
09-17-2013, 01:27 AM
i have several tomics, in various sizes.
they ain't half the lure that lyman are.
sure, they are better built, more durable, but they don't hold a candle to lyman in action.

actually I don't need any of either, I've got tackle boxes of lures that i'll never use already.
and I've started carving and painting my own now, with good success.

Plug passion
10-05-2013, 03:33 PM
Lyman lures is in full production, there was a slow down as they did move there operations , and in that time frame they were out of contact as they were trying to get things dialled in. They still manufacture in Canada as there had been rumours that it moved to the states. It took some time to set up in the facility that the plugs are being manufactured at but they pretty much have it all dialled in. You will see in stores factory seconds ( due to paint flaws) but assured they still troll the same. It did take some time teaching the new employees but they are all now dialled in. I myself spoke to the owner and he had told me this. If you need plugs go to www.lymanlures.com you can place orders there if your local store does not carry.

Sofa King
10-05-2013, 03:51 PM
good to hear.
wonder if it's hurt the brand overall though.
so many stores with no lymans on the shelves anymore.
and tomic has started copying their smaller sizes and colours.

300H&H
10-08-2013, 09:39 AM
A friend looked at buying the business but it was too labor intensive to make a good profit.
Nothing was automated...all hand painted.

Sofa King
10-08-2013, 10:13 AM
A friend looked at buying the business but it was too labor intensive to make a good profit.
Nothing was automated...all hand painted.

yeah, I know someone too who looked at it.
the family did a fantastic job with it, and it's a shame to see it change so drastically.
i'd be interested to see some new colours, but it sounds like they'll be streamlining and cutting the variety back.

robertmcallan
10-08-2013, 10:49 AM
does anyone have a picture of these lures would like to see what they look like with all this talk of them

Sofa King
10-08-2013, 10:53 AM
http://www.tyeetackle.com/images/lyman/016.jpg (http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=7VH_r78_3epxKM&tbnid=z9x0xAfbnEchhM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tyeetackle.com%2Flymancol.htm&ei=i0ZUUrTKM4GorAGp-IGQAQ&bvm=bv.53537100,d.aWM&psig=AFQjCNHkeE71b6jC8YeCvYduwB7r18KdOA&ust=1381341167529100)

Sofa King
10-08-2013, 10:57 AM
their weakest point is that the hook attachments and the main eye are all just picture-hanging screw-eyes.
don't think i'd be using them for really big-game fish.
I've caught mid-thirty lb mackinaw with them, but huge ocean fish I think are a different story.
I gave one of the large lymans to my fishing guide at hoiss point lodge one year.
not sure how he did with it.

Sofa King
10-08-2013, 11:08 AM
but even worse, I think, are the mac squids.
they are just plastic with those same eye-screws.
I've got one that the screws pulled right out on.

Chadd73
10-08-2013, 04:46 PM
Hi. I thought i would take some time , as a proud "pro staff" member of lyman lures" seeing the comments and hearing peoples concerns i thought i could give some positive insight in the product and the changes that have and will be made in the very near future. YES Lyman lures was bought by Colin Redisky, owner and president. He bought the company hoping to save its production ,being proudly made in Canada ; rather then having the product manufactured else where in another country. Like any new business , us as consumers see changes that may or may not be what we are used to,or that we agree with at the time ,because it is change. I assure u that some negative feed back is all taken positively by "lyman lures" as they like to here what ppl think and want if it is rational and benefits the company and the consumer to catch more fish!.
The foremost, " lyman lures" wants to continue to manufacture the product as it has always been ; the go to plug, that will,and has, caught so many fish, and not jeopardize the Lyman name that has been so popular in the past and years to come
CHANGES: had to be made when Colin took over he was overwhelmed by the demand of this plug ,and him trying to do this alone with the help of the original painter. He new with the demand and trying to keep orders full-filled...change had to be made, cost efficient changes and labour changes had to be made knowing all this cant be done by one or 2 people.
So an opportunity came that he could move his manufacturing to Abbotsford bc. And yes the manufacturing facility is located part of the matsqui correctional facility.
Reasons being.. Cost efficient and of course jobs for the inmates. So the moving and training took some time but now the employees are getting dialled in with the help from one of the original painters from "lyman Lures". In the time it took to move and train employees it may have seemed Lyman lures were incognito. I assure u it was in the minds of Lyman lures of there lack of being absent to the public and to tackle stores that were becoming understocked. They of course at the time did not want to make there happy customers unhappy and business's alike. They wanted to get the change done asap so they could start producing plugs and get them out to u and i and the tackle stores so people could purchase for there next slaying adventure, but most of all they just wanted to get it all dialled in to make you and i and many others happy .
Like i say . There will be changes and positive changes to "lyman Lures" so the product will continue to make our fishing adventures a success. So after reading comments i must say....
1) yes lyman lures did relocate but main office is in Kelowna bc. 1691 Powick rd, Kelowna bc.
2) The lack of stock not done intentional . This was due to moving to the new manufacturing location.
3) yes the paint jobs had been off and very aware of it in the beginning of the start up of new location and training. That is why stores have factory seconds at a discount price . I assure u i have used those factory seconds and they still troll and catch fish the same, with the minor flaws of paint detail.
4) colours have been takin out of the line up that you and i may have used, but selected colours from old line up will be available soon.
5) SIZE MATTERS, yes l"lyman lures" is aware of competitive plug makers such as luhr Jensen for example are making optional sized plugs as Lyman Lures do. So selected sizes will be back on the market soon, they had to get the popular # 4 dialled in before they move on to different sizes.
6) The changes to some plugs with ladder backs had been changed by trying a more cost productive way and that was by using a sticker . It was a learning curve and you will not see the stickers again in future runs. The eye sticker has worked it is still being decided on.
7) Web page. There will be an upgarde to lymanlures.com in the near future for more info for fishermen and fisherwomen!. The site is still available with lots of pics and info and faq's and of course for people to order direct online . If any other questions too, you could always email lyman lures any questions. What i like is the tackle tips for newbies using lyman plugs, there are tips to tune your lymans wether it be maybe your trolling speed or just a simple tweek with the eyelet to give it that erratic action we all grown to love and drives fish crazy.
8) As a pro staff for "Lyman Lures" i know they strive into manufacturing a great plug and mainly to keep people happy as they have in past years and years to come. Lyman lures has and will always be an effective plug as i grew up to see the results of this plug and what it can catch. Im not just saying this as a pro staff member, but as a fisherman just like you and many others but we all know that " Lyman Lures " are often imitated... But never duplicated.
Thanks for your time and comments , i hope this answered some of your questions you and others alike had, in what "lyman lures" is up to now and the future.
Prostaff member lyman lures . C . Deschamps.

Chadd73
10-08-2013, 04:55 PM
I have caught bulltrout over 25lbs with lymans and 20+ lbs rainbow gerards on them as well as 30+ chinook. I even fish them and put lyman lures on the map in Cuba! Catching massive Barracudas . I have faith in all the quality hard ware that goes beyond to make this lure effective. Every lure in the world goes by what lbs test your using too imagine if u put 100 lbs test and anchor a 500 lbs fish ( just a example) well somthings gonna give "right". My self i change the triples and use # 4 gamakatsu otopus hooks on # 4 size lymans and 5's for 5" lymans.

Sofa King
10-08-2013, 07:04 PM
I have caught bulltrout over 25lbs with lymans and 20+ lbs rainbow gerards on them as well as 30+ chinook. I even fish them and put lyman lures on the map in Cuba! Catching massive Barracudas . I have faith in all the quality hard ware that goes beyond to make this lure effective. Every lure in the world goes by what lbs test your using too imagine if u put 100 lbs test and anchor a 500 lbs fish ( just a example) well somthings gonna give "right". My self i change the triples and use # 4 gamakatsu otopus hooks on # 4 size lymans and 5's for 5" lymans.

cool.
have any pics of what the lures look like after being in the yap of a 'cuda?
how heavy were the 'cudas?

Sofa King
10-08-2013, 07:08 PM
thanks chadd73, for the info/update.
it will be nice to see them back on the shelves again.

kinda funny that each lyman I buy from now on has already "served time".
i'll have to keep those bad apples in a box all their own.

Web by
10-08-2013, 07:54 PM
I've had the pleasure of fishing with the owner of Lyman Lures. We were trying out some new color schemes just after christmas. Plenty of 5-6 pound trout with Colin landing a hog just shy of 15lbs right off the surface. In order to keep Lyman's going he's had to move manufacturing to the prison. Any company going through transition is going to have a few issues, but Colin is committed to his product. The lures are hand made and wood, they will probably need a little tweaking to swim properly. We spent the 20 seconds it took to get it to swim just right. I bet the fish notice that one eye isn't perfect.....
Lyman's Lures was sold, not bought out. Colin has made huge sacrifices to keep Lymans afloat.

Sofa King
10-08-2013, 08:17 PM
I used a couple of the large ones as poppers for pike in the Yukon last year.
they were deadly, some insane topwater action.

Brambles
10-08-2013, 09:37 PM
I will probably win this weekend derby with a Lyman or hair....so nobody else need show up....just sayin

Chadd73
10-08-2013, 09:46 PM
The cudas that were caught ranged from 5-25 lbs. unfortunately after my separation With my ex the all my fishing pics were lost . Iam going back to Cuba after Xmas I will take lots of photos to make up my loss's . I bring lots of Lyman's for the locals and they love them. The cudas make some obvious damage to the yellow cedar that is used but still hold up there action. If you ever go to Lyman lures in kelowna have a look at what pike and Muskies have done to them, Colin has some great pics in office, it's more less the same what the cudas do. Your right too they make as a good top water action plug to. I know fishermen in sask, that take from hook off and cast them and retrieve them fast for pike I'd like to see that ! Be fun action.

Sofa King
10-09-2013, 11:29 AM
The cudas that were caught ranged from 5-25 lbs. unfortunately after my separation With my ex the all my fishing pics were lost . Iam going back to Cuba after Xmas I will take lots of photos to make up my loss's . I bring lots of Lyman's for the locals and they love them. The cudas make some obvious damage to the yellow cedar that is used but still hold up there action. If you ever go to Lyman lures in kelowna have a look at what pike and Muskies have done to them, Colin has some great pics in office, it's more less the same what the cudas do. Your right too they make as a good top water action plug to. I know fishermen in sask, that take from hook off and cast them and retrieve them fast for pike I'd like to see that ! Be fun action.

i'll look through my pics and see if I have some.
I swear I got some video of the huge pike smashing the lure after several missed attempts through the shallows.
it was like an alligator or a great white with a seal.
perhaps it's just so engrained in my mind that I see as if I captured it.
i'll look though.

Chadd73
10-10-2013, 08:32 AM
Looking foward to see your pics Duallie.lol as fisherman are content in the excitement when landing a fish, iam sure we do see things others wouldnt as were fighting a monster in the water, ie.( your visions of an alligator!) .

warnniklz
10-17-2013, 04:03 PM
Lucky Bug lures has a plug called the Fusion and Lucky Plug coming out. They're bead chain eye through to hook.

Brambles
10-17-2013, 10:15 PM
One thing they need to get a handle on is the QC on the front cutout, I often have to sort through the rack to find some with the right cutout as they vary a fair bit! And these arn't the factory seconds pile, they are the full priced jobbies! Of the one model I was looking at today of the 6 on the shelf, 3 had poor cutouts, I bought 2 of the good ones!

Sofa King
10-18-2013, 10:41 AM
Lucky Bug lures has a plug called the Fusion and Lucky Plug coming out. They're bead chain eye through to hook.

I like the sounds of that.
any pics?
I did a search and couldn't find anything.
I've got a few lucky bugs, but they've still never touched water.
I always rig up with my go-to set-up and have success, then it becomes hard to change to something else.

warnniklz
10-18-2013, 01:09 PM
I like the sounds of that.
any pics?
I did a search and couldn't find anything.
I've got a few lucky bugs, but they've still never touched water.
I always rig up with my go-to set-up and have success, then it becomes hard to change to something else.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1380008_10153355702035387_1420766200_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1385400_10153355702535387_155785770_n.jpg

Sofa King
10-18-2013, 01:45 PM
those look interesting.
the fusion is like a plug with an apex glued to it.
kinda like the bug is a fly glued to an apex.

will be interesting to see their action.
I sure prefer me a wooden plug though.

warnniklz
10-18-2013, 03:02 PM
I guess they were getting action on a plain white proto type with no eyes or paint.

They're prtty slick looking. Lots of colours.

Sofa King
10-18-2013, 09:46 PM
dang.
more lures to add to the boxes.

Sofa King
11-16-2013, 04:39 PM
has anyone seen any of the new lymans yet?
wondering how well the inmates work is looking.
maybe they still aren't in full production yet.
crappy tire and walmart don't have any lymans anymore, neither do some other places I know.

they'd be smart to add a few new colour designs to stimulate some sales.
instead I heard they are dropping many colours.
i saw one that they've done in canuck colours, it's actually pretty nice.
pic wouldn't copy though.

Sofa King
11-24-2013, 12:52 PM
One thing they need to get a handle on is the QC on the front cutout, I often have to sort through the rack to find some with the right cutout as they vary a fair bit! And these arn't the factory seconds pile, they are the full priced jobbies! Of the one model I was looking at today of the 6 on the shelf, 3 had poor cutouts, I bought 2 of the good ones!

that's definitely not good.
something like that just should not be happening.
how'd they even make it through to the packaging?

I know that front cut-out has changed over the years.
some had a nice curve to them from a side profile.
I have loads of all, never paid close enough attention to any differences in their actions though.

Sofa King
11-24-2013, 01:08 PM
I've had the pleasure of fishing with the owner of Lyman Lures. We were trying out some new color schemes just after christmas. Plenty of 5-6 pound trout with Colin landing a hog just shy of 15lbs right off the surface. In order to keep Lyman's going he's had to move manufacturing to the prison. Any company going through transition is going to have a few issues, but Colin is committed to his product. The lures are hand made and wood, they will probably need a little tweaking to swim properly. We spent the 20 seconds it took to get it to swim just right. I bet the fish notice that one eye isn't perfect.....
Lyman's Lures was sold, not bought out. Colin has made huge sacrifices to keep Lymans afloat.

that's true, and it's easy to adjust them.
but, i've never once had to over all the years.
I've done it just to see the differences that it made, but most all have been great right from the factory.
that you and the owner are adjusting brand new ones to me isn't right, and he shouldn't be accepting of that.
if his production quality control is up-to-snuff, they should have a darn good idea of just where that proper eye-positioning should be.

what is the status of the new production?
are they going now?
I've still seen no lymans in most stores that used to carry them.
only place I've seen any is "slurpy herpies".
saw some new ones there yesterday that I hadn't seen before.
not a fan of the shiny, ladder-back stickers as opposed to the painted-on style.
but as long as they are durable and don't fall off after heavy use. I guess they'll be good.
they look nice, but I'm hesitant about how they'll last.

the website could sure use some updating.
that should be where one could go and learn what's happening.
or even see the current colours available, half the colours I just saw on the shelves aren't on the site.
the site looks 30 years old, it could really be updated.
I sure hope these are just some hiccups, and that in another year the only ones we see aren't the old ones in our tackle box.

huntinnut
12-16-2013, 09:52 PM
I find a huge difference between Lymans of the same #. On Kootenay lake #16 is awesome, and I had one that did really well for about 5 years until I lost it one day. I bought 3 more #16's before I found one that the fish would bite again with any consistency. My #160 works great In the winter, and I have a buddy that has never caught a fish on his. It's funny talking to guys about lymans because everyone has their favorite colour and it's often different from the ones I've had luck with, so that tells me it's a lot about getting one with good action.

Sofa King
12-16-2013, 10:45 PM
I find a huge difference between Lymans of the same #. On Kootenay lake #16 is awesome, and I had one that did really well for about 5 years until I lost it one day. I bought 3 more #16's before I found one that the fish would bite again with any consistency. My #160 works great In the winter, and I have a buddy that has never caught a fish on his. It's funny talking to guys about lymans because everyone has their favorite colour and it's often different from the ones I've had luck with, so that tells me it's a lot about getting one with good action.

that's pretty interesting.
and speaks for itself about their tuning, or inconsistencies.
I've usually attributed it to just a slow day though when a usual catcher doesn't produce.
plus, light conditions always plays a factor as well, an that means other colours will be the best on other days.
#16 is one of my best on Okanagan, and the solid pink in the summer.
but I know guys who swear by the blue-coloured ones.
it's pretty much just what you put faith in and run more.
I've never ran blue very often and when I do, it doesn't stay in long.
I have to say though, lymans are always a main go-to lure for me though.
a lyman and an apex always get run and one or the other always lands a fish.......well, often anyway.

Brambles
12-17-2013, 09:00 AM

You can change the action simply by adjusting the angle the line is coming off the eye. Straight off and it's pretty calm and mild and the further vertical you put the line on the eye the wilder the action gets. The trick is having the foresight to know what action they're looking for! That being said if you get a crappy cutout then your chasing your tail!

#16 lyman special and #69 shazam are popular plugs on this lake but I have hours and hours pulling both with nothing!
I have however got em on #10 Lucy, #37... #55 army truck, #67 Jack black shellac, #98 Kokanee, and #183

never ran the 160 but I have one, should try it!

never landed a fish on an Apex, had a lunker on this summer but lost it.

flasher hoochie is responsible for the most fish for me this year including my 2 biggest rainbows! Go figure!

Dutch Ppoacher
12-17-2013, 10:00 AM
You can change the action simply by adjusting the angle the line is coming off the eye. Straight off and it's pretty calm and mild and the further vertical you put the line on the eye the wilder the action gets. The trick is having the foresight to know what action they're looking for! That being said if you get a crappy cutout then your chasing your tail!

#16 lyman special and #69 shaman are popular plugs on this lake but I have hours and hours pulling both with nothing!
I have however got em on #10 Lucy, #37... #55 army truck, #67 Jack black shellac, #98 Kokanee, and #183

never ran the 160 but I have one, should try it!

never landed a fish on an Apex, had a lunker on this summer but lost it.

flasher hoochie is responsible for the most fish for me this year including my 2 biggest rainbows! Go figure!

i run all my lumans on a loop knot, played with tieing directly to the eye but found that any bumps by fish or bottem change the knot position. the loop allows the plug to be naturally crazy.
i also never use more then 10lb test leader line so the plug isn't hindered aswell

Brambles
12-17-2013, 10:41 AM
I would be nervous with a 10lb leader, what species and sized fish are you landing with that?

you can tie a second knot below your line to help stop any slip if your worried. I have never had any issues with action with an improved cinch knot and 15lb-20lb liline but now of course I'll have to try the loop knot and see what action it has!

just bought 15 more lyman plugs... Lol....gotta wait till the wife goes to work before I can play with them!

Sofa King
12-17-2013, 11:25 AM
like brambles said, I too would be extremely nervous with a 10 lb leader.
no way would I do that.
why a leader even?
when running lymans, I'm expecting a possible high teens fish to hit, even that elusive 20 lb'er.
I usually run a snap-swivel a lot with them and that works awesome.
I save my loop-knots for the fly rod.

was sorting through my boxes of tackle last night and re-organizing them again.
apexes with the apexes, lymans with the lymans.
over the summer, I tend to gather my favs of everything and take on certain trips.
with hunting done for me, and the weather being nice, I think maybe another shuswap trip would be a good idea.

Brambles
12-17-2013, 12:41 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/Lyman1_zpsabd62b25.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Brambles77/media/Lyman1_zpsabd62b25.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/Lyman1_zpsabd62b25.jpg

Brambles
12-17-2013, 12:46 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/Lyman2_zps157544d1.jpeg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Brambles77/media/Lyman2_zps157544d1.jpeg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/Lyman2_zps157544d1.jpeg

Brambles
12-17-2013, 12:50 PM
Lets try this again..photobucket seems to be having difficulties

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/Lyman3_zpsada03473.jpeg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Brambles77/media/Lyman3_zpsada03473.jpeg.html)

Brambles
12-17-2013, 01:01 PM
ah success....that was painful

Brambles
12-17-2013, 01:03 PM
#55 Army Truck is in the boat

Brambles
12-17-2013, 01:24 PM
well the pictures showed up before.....photobucket is certainly blowing dog these days

huntinnut
12-17-2013, 05:01 PM
Brambles, you sir have a lot of plugs!

It's hard to know why one plug will catch fish and another doesn't, especially when they are the same colour. The colours aren't consistent either though. The paint on the back of m 3 different #16's is quite different, and they are all different than the old paint scheme from a few years ago.

I've had really good luck with the #16, especially on more overcast days (fishing in the sun generally sucks for me anyways). The #160 or purple Jesus seems to work best in jan/feb. We had a really good run with it for bull trout on the surface in February 2 years ago. When there's chop and some fish are up i'll run it without weight, or i'll put it out on the planer board if I'm tired of pulling flies. Otherwise I'm generally fishing it between 80-110 or 120 feet down. I've caught a few on the 69, and a buddy really likes his. 98 has caught a few too. Pink and pearl white is good down deep as well as lime green and black for bull trout.

I also do really well on the flasher hootchies, but not so much this year it's been hard to find a consistent depth, although 90% of the time it's a bull trout. we have caught 2 16lb rainbows on them too. I like them in late winter when running slow with bill normans at 1.8mph.

I only fish one apex, a black and smoky grey wide bodied one from 15 or 20 years ago that was in my grandpas stuff. It has caught quite a few too but nothing over 12lbs.

Brambles
12-17-2013, 05:24 PM
You fishing kootenay lake?

being the gear whore that I am that is one of many big tackle boxes full!

2 full boxes of plugs, other one is full of hand made cedar plugs my grandfather use to make and sell!
1 box full of apex, terminators and flatfish
1 box full of flashers and hoochies
1 box full of bucktails, working on filling a second now that I have started tying my own
1 misc box of hardware, hooks, spoons, billies etc etc

Hoping to head out tomorrow again

huntinnut
12-17-2013, 06:40 PM
Brambles,

I'm in Creston, and i'm usually fishing the southern half of the lake. Generally launch at the boswell boat ramp. I'm getting the itch to get out this weekend, but we'll see.

Karl.

Dutch Ppoacher
12-21-2013, 03:16 PM
I am on vancouver island, and seeing a fish over 10lbs doesn't happen too often but i have no fear of them breaking that leader. i catch steelhead on that line all the time in the river, which is a way tougher environment. mind you i also stick to the smaller 2 and 3 sizes. landed a 31" cuttie using my set up last yr.
18-24" is common
i have used snaps before, but honestly believe any weight on the tongue changes the action. just change out your leader every so often when using a loop knot. use one that doesn't slip, and get good at tying it! i find these plugs flip over a lot so a swivel keeps your line in better condition and will not wrap up on the tip when slacked off!

DP

Dutch Ppoacher
12-21-2013, 03:20 PM
http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz318/curtisL_photo/Picture033.jpg (http://s839.photobucket.com/user/curtisL_photo/media/Picture033.jpg.html)

Dutch Ppoacher
12-21-2013, 03:20 PM
http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz318/curtisL_photo/Picture013.jpg (http://s839.photobucket.com/user/curtisL_photo/media/Picture013.jpg.html)

Dutch Ppoacher
12-21-2013, 03:21 PM
http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz318/curtisL_photo/Picture043.jpg (http://s839.photobucket.com/user/curtisL_photo/media/Picture043.jpg.html)

Dutch Ppoacher
12-21-2013, 03:21 PM
http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz318/curtisL_photo/Picture038.jpg (http://s839.photobucket.com/user/curtisL_photo/media/Picture038.jpg.html)

Dutch Ppoacher
12-21-2013, 06:47 PM
http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz318/curtisL_photo/feb3rdwithwillem00620.jpg (http://s839.photobucket.com/user/curtisL_photo/media/feb3rdwithwillem00620.jpg.html)

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz318/curtisL_photo/feb5thwithwillem017.jpg (http://s839.photobucket.com/user/curtisL_photo/media/feb5thwithwillem017.jpg.html)

you can see the plug in his yap!
http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz318/curtisL_photo/Feb9thwithDerek10.jpg (http://s839.photobucket.com/user/curtisL_photo/media/Feb9thwithDerek10.jpg.html)

Brambles
12-26-2013, 09:30 PM
Lymans have been outfishing flasher/hoochies and bucktails for me last two trips out!!!
wife got a beautiful 12 lb gerrard on a lyman today!

brno375
12-31-2013, 12:29 PM
Lyman has some old stock 1's and 2's on their website right now if anyone is looking for the small ones.

Sofa King
01-02-2014, 07:28 PM
Lyman has some old stock 1's and 2's on their website right now if anyone is looking for the small ones.

is it true they are discontinuing the smaller sizes?

Brambles
01-28-2015, 08:01 PM
Bought a new run 181 Root Bear, lure had been on retailer shelf for maybe a week or two as he had just received them. Ran it for the first time last week for about an hour. Noticed today that it had cracked right down the middle from front to back and the paint on the nose was bubbled and with a little flick woulda popped right off.

i returned it to the retailer and he's gonna send it back to Lyman and get me a new one from his next order as they had all sold out again and didnt have any more in stock!

hope lyman isn't cutting corners on their wood....paint job was nice but I expect them to last more than an hour!

srupp
01-28-2015, 08:08 PM
hmmm so what did Lymans painter have to do to get a sentence to go inside and teach the Paramedics errrr inmates???lol

good info

Steven

Sofa King
01-29-2015, 06:24 PM
I noticed their quality getting worse pretty much ever since it was sold.
then, they disappeared from store shelves completely.
I pretty much stopped buying them when they started having stickers all over them instead of quality paintjobs.
I know he's cutting every corner he can to make more money, but lesser quality for ridiculous pricetags that they carry now became unacceptable, for me anyway.
one day I just said "F it, i'll make my own".