PDA

View Full Version : What camera do you take in the bush?

Andrewh
09-10-2013, 08:32 AM
I am going to need another camera for this season and was wondering what sort of life you guys are getting out of your hunting 'point and shoots'.

Have gone through just about 2 Nikon s9100 cameras over the last couple seasons, the current one only works when I wiggle the lens back and forth a little. The last sheep hunt this summer took it's toll on it.

I love the 18x optical zoom it has and it took great pics but I found it pretty sensitive to mild abuse.

Ideas?

hare_assassin
09-10-2013, 08:41 AM
Fuji FinePix XP series?

http://www.fujifilm.ca/products/digital_cameras/xp/

Darksith
09-10-2013, 08:44 AM
canon, I take one of 2 cameras...the old 7mp cannon powershot, its small light and durable. Or I take the camcorder (got a new one) panasonic HC 720...it has 50x digital zoom! so sweet, and probably the best image stablizing

Mikey Rafiki
09-10-2013, 08:53 AM
Fuji FinePix XP series?

http://www.fujifilm.ca/products/digital_cameras/xp/

That's what I'm running right now, XP60. Tough little camera and will shoot HD video. Still cheap enough to replace if you lose the thing...

BimmerBob
09-10-2013, 09:11 AM
I just went through this process and went with the Nikon Coolpix AW110, waterproof to 18 metres, shockproof to 2 metres and full HD Video. I especially like the built in GPS and maps and the fact that upon return you can upload the pics to Google and it places them on the map where they were taken. Not so good an idea for sharing if you have taken pics of your secret honey hole though...

Sofa King
09-10-2013, 09:20 AM
I just went through this process and went with the Nikon Coolpix AW110, waterproof to 18 metres, shockproof to 2 metres and full HD Video. I especially like the built in GPS and maps and the fact that upon return you can upload the pics to Google and it places them on the map where they were taken. Not so good an idea for sharing if you have taken pics of your secret honey hole though...

I've never understood why one would want to upload them to googleearth.
and I have noticed that it isn't precise at all.
many areas I know, I've looked at the pics it's placed there, and it's totally off.

for a durable, tough camera, all the brands have their versions now.
I've always been partial to the olympus'.
there's a vid on youtube that tests and compares them all.

RiverOtter
09-10-2013, 12:39 PM
Canon G-15.....

Run it in "P" mode and you can take hundreds of pics on a single charge. I'm done with cheap crappy cams that take shitty pics.

hare_assassin
09-10-2013, 12:45 PM
I'm done with cheap crappy cams that take shitty pics.

Yeah, me too. I only suggested an "unbreakable" one since the OP has already cronked two cameras.

I use this (5D with various lenses)- big, heavy, and worth it:

http://www.cogitech.ca/Rokkor/crw_6747.jpg

RiverOtter
09-10-2013, 01:39 PM
I'm pretty much ready to take the DSLR plunge, though the Canon G-Series is a great way to get your feet wet and makes a great lighter weight alternative for pack in hunts.

hare_assassin
09-10-2013, 02:26 PM
I'm pretty much ready to take the DSLR plunge, though the Canon G-Series is a great way to get your feet wet and makes a great lighter weight alternative for pack in hunts.

A happy medium might be found in the mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras, such as the Canon EF-M, the Sony NEX series, etc. etc. They offer similar benefits of a dSLR in a smaller package.

I personally can't stand small cameras regardless of how good the photos are, but lots of people are switching from dSLR to the mirrorless ones.

longstonec
09-10-2013, 02:43 PM
I have a small Olympus that is waterproof and "shockproof". It's about 4-5 years old now and for a point and shoot the size of a deck of cards it is great!

Rackem
09-10-2013, 03:36 PM
I got this camera from a tip from a fellow HBC er at the Big Box store that starts with a C...$89 bucks, usually retails at $250...

Waterproof to 16 ft, has its own floatation strap, Shockproof 5 ft, Olympus Tough iHS 5x zoom, 10x SR zoom...

Plus it comes in my favorite colour...
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/1186143_10151595388655754_1565400726_n.jpg

adriaticum
09-10-2013, 03:43 PM
Nice and compact

http://resources.jvc.com/Images/02/69/26975.JPG

1/6-inch 800k pixel CCD
8GB Built-in Flash memory
45x Dynamic Zoom / 800x Digital Zoom
Memory Card Slot for SDHC/SD
Software provided (for Windows (R))
KONICA MINOLTA LENS
HD Gigabrid Premium II Engine
Super LoLux
Advanced Image Stabilizer
Time-Lapse REC
Auto REC
One Touch Upload to YouTube(TM) (HD Compatible)
One Touch Export
Laser Touch Operation with Sub-trigger and Zoom Function
Auto LCD Backlight Control
Auto Illumi. Light
Data Battery
USB2.0 High-Speed Transfer
Pixela Everio MediaBrowser for Windows(R) provided

BuckNaked
09-10-2013, 04:39 PM
Canon T1i.

loopy
09-10-2013, 05:14 PM
sony nex6.....small package with slr results....allows lens changes..... love lt.

Darksith
09-10-2013, 05:15 PM
Nice and compact

http://resources.jvc.com/Images/02/69/26975.JPG

1/6-inch 800k pixel CCD
8GB Built-in Flash memory
45x Dynamic Zoom / 800x Digital Zoom
Memory Card Slot for SDHC/SD
Software provided (for Windows (R))
KONICA MINOLTA LENS
HD Gigabrid Premium II Engine
Super LoLux
Advanced Image Stabilizer
Time-Lapse REC
Auto REC
One Touch Upload to YouTube(TM) (HD Compatible)
One Touch Export
Laser Touch Operation with Sub-trigger and Zoom Function
Auto LCD Backlight Control
Auto Illumi. Light
Data Battery
USB2.0 High-Speed Transfer
Pixela Everio MediaBrowser for Windows(R) provided

800 would be crazy stupid...you wouldn't ever need a spotting scope anymore! watching vids of some of these 700x and 800x zoom, it can't focus properly. I'll keep looking though, would be sweet to not have to use the spotter anymore

adriaticum
09-10-2013, 05:29 PM
800 would be crazy stupid...you wouldn't ever need a spotting scope anymore! watching vids of some of these 700x and 800x zoom, it can't focus properly. I'll keep looking though, would be sweet to not have to use the spotter anymore

It's 45x optical zoom. That's what counts. Digital zoom doesn't mean anything. It can only be achieved with software and makes the pictures grainy.
I don't have a spotting scope but I don't think any camera can replace a good spotting scope.
Still images with this camcorder are pretty shitty.