PDA

View Full Version : Blacks or griz

Wade
09-09-2013, 08:13 PM
Do you guys think a very large black bear could hold his own against an average size griz. I think the curled claws of a blk bear could do more damage to the griz than the straight claws of a g bear could do to the blackie

BiG Boar
09-09-2013, 08:18 PM
I think if they were equal weight and age it would be close. However I think black bears grow up with healthy fear for grizzlies and even an adult would run up a tree or away.

Mikey Rafiki
09-09-2013, 08:53 PM
I've heard the defensiveness of a blackie sow can overcome an equal or larger griz. Attitude means a lot in these encounters.

Darksith
09-09-2013, 09:44 PM
Grizz are top of the heap for a reason. That being said they aren't stupid, and they know they can't survive after a serious injury, so they usually don't battle outright. Mostly bluffs and other posturing, but hypothetically, I still think the grizz is tougher with longer claws so it would win in a outright fight

Weatherby Fan
09-09-2013, 09:57 PM
I would put my money the Grizzly !

HarryToolips
09-09-2013, 10:00 PM
Id bet the griz would win

BearStump
09-09-2013, 10:04 PM
you ever tried to knock out a dude with a huge block head and really thick neck? even if he weighs tha same as you, it wont be easy and he'll have the advantage. Thats how I see a grizz/Blackie fight.

steel_ram
09-10-2013, 07:30 AM
Grizzlies have better fighting skillz. Now against a Liger, that'd be something.

rcar
09-10-2013, 07:56 AM
Age has a lot to do with it too. A seasoned big black bear would have no problem with a young grizz of the same weight. However for the most part the grizz is much stronger pound for pound.

rred
09-10-2013, 10:11 AM
Grizzlies have better fighting skillz. Now against a Liger, that'd be something.
LMAO
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ep6VbMYjtAM/TUCpH7FxIDI/AAAAAAAADGM/b4BqzsoM_q4/s1600/liger-napoleon-dynamite-air-freshener.jpg

Big Lew
09-10-2013, 11:08 AM
you ever tried to knock out a dude with a huge block head and really thick neck? even if he weighs tha same as you, it wont be easy and he'll have the advantage. Thats how I see a grizz/Blackie fight.
Yes, and broke my hand trying...I'd put my money on the grizz...you hear of grizz killing and eating blacks. I don't think I've ever heard of blacks killing grizz for food.

bigneily
09-10-2013, 11:45 AM
Just read a story in the Calgary sun about a grizzer in Banff that is regularly killing and eating blacks.

chilcotin hillbilly
09-10-2013, 02:21 PM
I have found a number of big boar blacks killed on the salmon rivers, it is not a pretty sight. My money is on the grizz every time.

srupp
09-10-2013, 02:59 PM
hmmm a 300 pound black bear is mostly fat..and fur..a 300 pound grizzly is still a 2 year old all claws and muscle....black bears claws are short and curved grizzlies are long scalpels..have to agree grizzly every time...

Foxton Gundogs
09-10-2013, 03:06 PM
I watched about a 350 lb Blackie sow beat the crap and put the run on about a 500 lb boar G-bear right at the base of a tree she had sent a pair of cubs up. Do I believe this is the norm? Absolutly not, but it goes to show a POed momma bear is willing to lay more on the line than a big old G-bear looking for a quick snack.

Deer_Slayer
09-10-2013, 04:48 PM
On average a Grizz will dispatch a black bear quite easily, but I do recall reading something written by Andy Russell about a black bear sow being attacked by a brown bear. The BB fell on her back with the brownie on top and she disemboweled the brownie even though he killed her. The brownie struggled a few feet away and died.

REMINGTON JIM
09-10-2013, 04:52 PM
Grizz for sure - I seen Grizz bears lay a BEATING on the Blackies in Fish Creek at Stuart- Hyder - even those big blackies were no match for the G Bears ! :-D RJ