PDA

View Full Version : Deer in Nakusp area

Jarosa
09-09-2013, 07:04 PM
I am planning on taking my dad to the Nakusp area for a deer hunt around October 18-25. Any tips or hot spots would be great. He grew up in the area but has not been back to hunt there since the early 1970's. We are interested in either muleys or whitetail.

Amphibious
09-09-2013, 09:45 PM
I see does of both varieties down the klux and halfway roads. Very overgrown, thick forest to hunt. Some of the roads off the new denver/kaslo road could be worth checking out. Mt. Idaho?

6point
09-10-2013, 06:09 PM
some nice mulie bucks in the halfway forsure!

09-10-2013, 06:26 PM
The Mule deer population up there has reduced dramatically in the last 2-3 years. Mule deer bucks around Nakusp have gotten about as tough to find as a spike/fork moose.

spear
10-14-2013, 02:56 PM
Is this wild predation 325 or habitat loss????
Curious as in loading my camper for a muley hunt out that way, never been so its more of a scoutng mission.

Jagermeister
10-14-2013, 03:01 PM
I think a lot of success for mule deer hunting in that area will depend on the snow pack over the next little while. Those large bodied mule deer bucks need to be belly deep or more in snow before they will move out of the upper elevations. So hope for more snow or go higher.

6point
10-14-2013, 03:14 PM
lots of wolf sign showing up around nakusp these days...halcyon ridge and halfway river are one of the few places ive yet to see wolf sign!

Rackem
10-14-2013, 03:25 PM
Yes halfway, the bluffs and ridges before New Denver hold some big mulies if you can get up there, Idaho Peak, saw a few mulies up there...they tend to stay up high...

dino
10-14-2013, 04:09 PM
I have a bud that hits nakusp every year and there are no doubt big deer there. He waits till the end of the season when the snow has pushed them down. Jager is right wait for the snow or chase them up high. Up Wilson or past the hotsprings.You can take that to the bank!

Big Lew
10-14-2013, 04:40 PM
I have taken nice, big-bodied mule deer bucks from that general area, and seen some decent whitetails as well, Most of the whitetails were on private property down low and close to the lake though. I hunt early, and unless you go above 6000 ft. you won't likely see any of the big ones. Some of the earlier road access has been closed to the public for a couple of years, but if you're willing to do some SERIOUS hiking and packing, you can get to the higher roads via a roundabout way. I have a compromised hip from earlier breaking it, so at age 67, I'm not supposed to carry really heavy loads over rugged terrain anymore for fear of breaking it again, so if anyone wishes to pm me, maybe I can tell you where etc.

Hunting/addict
10-14-2013, 09:13 PM
HiHappy Thanksgiving....we just got back from Halcyon hot springs and only got out ma few hours but the sign was dismal. I have only hunted the halfway 15 years ago and it was very good in mid November. I have never hunter their this early. Not sure if the deer population is just low now or do they only move in frm the high roadless back country later in the season.