PDA

View Full Version : West Kootenay Hot Spots

Brando95
09-09-2013, 03:19 PM
I`d like to start a thread in regards with hunters new to the West Kootenays. If you are after one of the majestic royal bulls, or even just wanna look for some mulies, send me a pm or post some questions and i can give you some pointers to some of my favorite spots. I`ve relocated to the South Okanagan and have had many hunters help me out, so i thought i could help some of you out if you need it!

Cheers! :-D

09-09-2013, 03:42 PM
Ill pm a trade for ya!

GoatGuy
09-09-2013, 09:55 PM
This is a mighty Neighbourly offer, especially for someone from the WK. If you have questions about region 8 or anywhere else for that matter please feel free.

Brando95
09-09-2013, 10:43 PM
This is a mighty Neighbourly offer, especially for someone from the WK. If you have questions about region 8 or anywhere else for that matter please feel free.

Hey Goat Guy,

I actually don`t mind at all. Personally i think to many guys are tight lipped and it pisses me off to be quite honest. Not really part of hunter ethics if you ask me. Last time i checked, we live in a free country and not one where we gotta have that childish mine, mine, mine mentality. Pm me for spots, and if you could give me some pointers for the Kelowna area id greatly appreciate it.

bcd
09-10-2013, 07:14 AM
PM inbound :)

I'm new to hunting so I don't have any info to offer in return, but I can promise to pay it forward in the future.

GoatGuy
09-10-2013, 07:59 AM
Hey Goat Guy,

I actually don`t mind at all. Personally i think to many guys are tight lipped and it pisses me off to be quite honest. Not really part of hunter ethics if you ask me. Last time i checked, we live in a free country and not one where we gotta have that childish mine, mine, mine mentality. Pm me for spots, and if you could give me some pointers for the Kelowna area id greatly appreciate it.

Hahaha, I agree the WK is famous for that. There are a few guys that would run their own mother over to make sure nobody knew about their 'secret spot'.

09-10-2013, 08:20 AM
You know,
I quite enjoy helping guys. But ya Via PM,, no need to put it right out there for all... But, we are all a team here. A guy comes online and has a request, then i like to help. I do have a couple spots that are for me, but i also know a bunch that i can share to get a guy out in some good country with a good chance!

I pm'd Brando95, Gave him a couple spots to trade... he Pm'd me a couple its a great deal... What this place is for! Members have helped me befor! And still do!

Brando95
09-10-2013, 05:12 PM
Ya i agree with you guys. I just notice that alot of guys seem to block off the roads with their lifted Rams, or sit on a road since 3am. Amazing what people will do to get a trophy and trust me....the pay off is amazing if your determined. You will never get an elk in the WK if your half ass hunting. Gotta be patient too.

Gs31
09-10-2013, 05:27 PM
Down in Grand Forks they're giving away whitetails.........

Brando95
09-10-2013, 05:35 PM
Down in Grand Forks they're giving away whitetails.........

Ya right down the street lol

Brando95
09-10-2013, 10:53 PM
I think i should start my own outfitter in the WK, because it sure seems like you guys wanna take an elk pretty bad haha

rcar
09-11-2013, 12:07 AM
I read this post earlier today as I was on my way out the door and wanted to wait until I had a few minutes to reply properly.

I really like the spirit of the post a lot. I have been the recipient of a lot of PM's that have been extremely helpful over the past couple of years. I have also noticed a big reduction in what I considered the "arsehole" kind of replies in the past year too. Newbies are not being flamed for asking "stupid" questions and I for one appreciate it. Nice to see a new hunter on here with the right attitude...IMO

Cheers to you Brando for your offer to help. I am hopeful your "good guy" meter is activated as there are always bad apples in a bushell of really good ones.

bcd
09-11-2013, 06:51 AM
I agree, I have been helped by a few people over the past year via PM including Brando, and went on a hunt with a guy from the forum who was kind enough to take the time to mentor me. So the forum has been a great resource for me starting out without friends or family that hunt. HBC rocks!

Back to the subject at hand, are the deer and elk holding at particular elevations? Or does it vary between areas? Within the WK that is.

Brando95
09-11-2013, 02:11 PM
I agree, I have been helped by a few people over the past year via PM including Brando, and went on a hunt with a guy from the forum who was kind enough to take the time to mentor me. So the forum has been a great resource for me starting out without friends or family that hunt. HBC rocks!

Back to the subject at hand, are the deer and elk holding at particular elevations? Or does it vary between areas? Within the WK that is.

Your best bet right now with the heat, is to go up high like i mean almost sub-alpine. Bulls won`t be with the cows yet, but if a cold snap hits you might hear em bugle alot more. Mulies and White-Tails i find stay up high too (sometimes white-tails are higher up than the mulies!) West Kootenays is alot different and harder to hunt than the East Koots, because we don`t have big herds like the EK, and its all logging roads with no roads that have any restrictions; making the elk become call shy and cagey.

Drillbit
09-11-2013, 02:59 PM
Hahaha, I agree the WK is famous for that. There are a few guys that would run their own mother over to make sure nobody knew about their 'secret spot'.

No Kidding. My brother won't even let me come for a WK elk hunt with him.

bcd
09-11-2013, 06:58 PM
Your best bet right now with the heat, is to go up high like i mean almost sub-alpine. Bulls won`t be with the cows yet, but if a cold snap hits you might hear em bugle alot more. Mulies and White-Tails i find stay up high too (sometimes white-tails are higher up than the mulies!) West Kootenays is alot different and harder to hunt than the East Koots, because we don`t have big herds like the EK, and its all logging roads with no roads that have any restrictions; making the elk become call shy and cagey.

Thanks, I can be more efficient knowing what elevation range to target. Looks like the temperature is going to drop next week. 4 days til I have boots on the ground! :)

Brando95
09-11-2013, 08:20 PM
If you want to get ahold of me, give me an email at pozy_95@hotmail.com. Waaaaaaaaaaaaay easier for me and for you.

frenchbar
09-11-2013, 08:22 PM
make it easy and just post away these hot spots enough of the bsin:mrgreen:

WKCotts
09-30-2013, 08:26 PM
I like what you're trying to do and I'm sure your info could help a ton of people, but I simply don't agree with it.

If you want to hunt an area buy a topo map, use google earth and visit the area on your long weekends and vacation time. I spend an incredible amount of time and effort in the spots I hunt and it pays off.

You want something bad enough earn it! Rant over

300H&H
10-01-2013, 04:12 AM
Hey Goat Guy,

PM on its way, good luck.

Kudu
10-01-2013, 06:43 AM
Hey Goat Guy,

Well said - I applauded you for taking this stance

GoatGuy
10-01-2013, 10:34 AM
I like what you're trying to do and I'm sure your info could help a ton of people, but I simply don't agree with it.

If you want to hunt an area buy a topo map, use google earth and visit the area on your long weekends and vacation time. I spend an incredible amount of time and effort in the spots I hunt and it pays off.

Must be from the West Kootenay- a "special" bunch.

Lots of puffed out chests, who "have never asked for help." Except for hunting mulies in region 8, bighorns and goats in the EK, stones in the Peace, grizzlies in the North, caribou on the Kawdy.... sheepishly of course. I'm sure all the locals who have killed stones off the exact same spot up north over the last five years found ot magically by looking off topos and never asked for help hahaha. Could go on for days about this mentality and the 'trophy hunters' with their 'secret spots' from the WK, most of them who stroke the first 4 pts mulie or 6 pts bull elk that walks by. Even know a guy who passed up a 400+ bull a couple years ago cause it was too small..... And then shot a 300 rat the next week.

It's called crown land, not Castlegar land, and wildlife in BC is owned by all of us, regardless of what part of BC we live in.

Lastly, I can guarantee many of the areas you hunt were not found by looking at topos. Somebody told you about it or you heard someone hunted it or hunted somewhere near it. Don't BS a BSer.

Rackem
10-01-2013, 12:08 PM
LOL, I travel a lot for work, between Chetwynd and Winlaw BC, because work is in the North, kids are in the South. So I would appreciate any good hunting tips in the WK...I know a few areas already and whitetails are everywhere, I know a few Elk areas, but the season in the North is so much longer...

hare_assassin
10-01-2013, 12:14 PM
... and whitetails are everywhere...

There it is again. ;)

Rackem
10-01-2013, 12:22 PM
Well it's true lol. I got two in my yard...was eating breakfast, still in my housecoat, two walked right into the yard, took them at 15 yards off the front porch with the xbow...saw at least ten a day...

hare_assassin
10-01-2013, 12:34 PM
Well it's true lol. I got two in my yard...was eating breakfast, still in my housecoat, two walked right into the yard, took them at 15 yards off the front porch with the xbow...saw at least ten a day...

That's awesome!

WKCotts
10-01-2013, 06:49 PM

Lots of puffed out chests, who "have never asked for help." Except for hunting mulies in region 8, bighorns and goats in the EK, stones in the Peace, grizzlies in the North, caribou on the Kawdy.... sheepishly of course. I'm sure all the locals who have killed stones off the exact same spot up north over the last five years found ot magically by looking off topos and never asked for help hahaha. Could go on for days about this mentality and the 'trophy hunters' with their 'secret spots' from the WK, most of them who stroke the first 4 pts mulie or 6 pts bull elk that walks by. Even know a guy who passed up a 400+ bull a couple years ago cause it was too small..... And then shot a 300 rat the next week.

It's called crown land, not Castlegar land, and wildlife in BC is owned by all of us, regardless of what part of BC we live in.

Lastly, I can guarantee many of the areas you hunt were not found by looking at topos. Somebody told you about it or you heard someone hunted it or hunted somewhere near it. Don't BS a BSer.

All I got from the top 3 paragraphs was blah blah blah. You're missing
the point of my original post by a mile.

As for my spots, some are areas I hunted since a kid, some have been found with the help of maps and google earth then scouted by me via foot during spring and summer. I work on the road most of the year and spend hours every night in hotel rooms. I use this time to "check out" spots on google earth and maps. All I'm saying is spend some time and earn your animal. Don't expect everything to be handed to you. There are elk in every drainage from grand forks to nakusp to the Alberta border (I just have away a hotspot for Elk). Get out there and find YOUR spot.

goinghunting
10-01-2013, 07:52 PM

Goatguy u might be biting off more then u can chrew there hot shot!!!!!!!! Dont know were your from and dont care but why dont you post up all your elk and sheep info, seems the only one puffing there chest up is u! Asking questions is fine giving some info is just fine but we all dont need to.draw maps all over the internet to our favorite/hard earned spots! But if you feel so superior to us west kootenay hunters and feel we should be postting up our favorite spots why dont you go first hot shot!!!!

Salty
10-01-2013, 10:15 PM
West Koots, the new Clearwater but with grumpier locals. lol

HarryToolips
10-02-2013, 09:22 PM
I spend alot of time and gas finding my spots and sure as hell ain't tellin nobody but my main hunting buddy..to hell with everybody else, they can find they're own spots..if I give em mine they won't be hot no more..

Husky7mm
10-05-2013, 12:19 PM
There is a "cost" created by those who want to be an "info whore" on public forum for every Tom, Dick and Sally.....

Brambles
10-07-2013, 09:28 AM

Ya I don't really understand this kind of mentality. I've always been taught to scout and figure out where they are on my own time.Trust me when I say you will appreciate your good spots even better when you find them your self. Every new hunter does need a bone thrown there way every now and then to get them on track but, I think If you truly want to become a good hunter being able to find good spots on your own is imperative.

Im with these guys for the most part, exception being if I see a guy genuinely trying hard pounding the bush burning up days and gas to fill his freezer but just can't catch a break, and I have a sure thing for him, I will throw him a bone. Done it before and I'd do it again. But the effort has to be there. Society these days seem to be all about the quick fix and instant gratification with many people not willing to excercise their own abilities!

I've been helped out the odd time, but not a lot

-2 guys helped me around Kamloops on two separate occasions!
-long time friend helps me with occasional kootenay lake intel
-Hbc'er took me fishing for salmon,
-was given some info on a fly in hunt for caribou and moose up north, a favor which was repaid on intel for an elk LEH!

im typically a do it yourself'er, with the proper research and confidence in your abilities you can accomplish anything!

if all else fails just stay at a "holiday inn express"

Brando95
10-09-2013, 09:25 PM
Anyways.........any of you guys that messaged me actually get out at all?....