PDA

View Full Version : Blaeberry River Goat?

batman66
09-08-2013, 11:55 AM
Hi, I was wondering/hoping someone on here would have some experience to share about the the Blaeberry River outside of Golden.

A few buddies and myself are planning our first Goat hunt up that way in two weeks. None of us have been up that valley, so it will be a nice trip to see some more amazing rocky mountain country, if nothing else.

Is there any animals up that way? Is it worth the hike?

Thanks

tbocking
09-08-2013, 05:47 PM
the road in has been wiped out for a few years at km 28

ace76
09-10-2013, 07:05 AM
The road has been completely wiped out (seen with my own eyes) with no plans to fix apparently.

Amphibious
09-10-2013, 07:37 AM
I've ferried aircraft through there a couple times. Amazing, treacherous country, lots of goats, but you'll work for it, HARD.

batman66
09-10-2013, 08:08 AM
Amazing, treacherous country, lots of goats, but you'll work for it, HARD.
Exactly what I want to hear

That is to bad about the washout, guess I will be on foot from there
Thanks

GoatGuy
09-10-2013, 08:10 AM
Lots of goats in that country, the odd monster muley, elk/moose down low. PM 6616, he can probably help you out.

MichelD
09-10-2013, 01:28 PM
All I can say is that I was up there touristing around some years ago and met a grizzly bear researcher collecting fur samples.

Beautiful country.

Amphibious
09-10-2013, 01:31 PM
If you stop in at Alpine Helicopters in Golden and bait the pilots with lunch/beers you might get some Intel. A lot of aircraft traffic through there, one of the better low-altitude VFR passes to the Red Deer/Edmonton area. Big area for heli-sking in the winter.

RiverOtter
09-10-2013, 02:28 PM
Lotsa goats before the Cairnes cr washout. Used to be a good hike in valley(Laussadat?), up to the left near the start of the valley, but last time I was there you could drive right up due to logging.
Split creek is another to consider, at the back end, but there are 4 creek crossings, IIRC.....

Good luck, you'll love the country.

RiverOtter
09-10-2013, 02:40 PM
Not too deter you but bears can be real concern up the Blaeberry. I've heard it's dumping area for problem park bears, and while I've not seen an actual dump anytime I was there, I have stumbled on a couple collared bears that had little respect for humans....

Yet to see a collared bear anywhere else I've hunted over the years, let alone 2......

Deer_Slayer
09-10-2013, 04:52 PM
good goats up in there. Depending on where you were drawn. Area around Mummery Glacier is good and access is not too horrible. Watch for Grizz up in here they are cranky *******s. Some decent elk up here too. There is a provincial campsite (rough) near Mummery Glacier and close to river. Road is good. Happy hunting. I lived and hunted up there for 13 years.

Deer_Slayer
09-10-2013, 04:54 PM
update: I have been away from here for 10 years so what I am reading about road washout is new. Didn't know this

batman66
09-12-2013, 06:08 AM
Thanks for advice everyone, greatly appreciated. We leave in 7 days, getting pretty excited about the trip.