PDA

View Full Version : best way to carry rifle on quad??

bearheart
09-08-2013, 11:10 AM
Handle bar mount or Koplin on rear fender area? Which is safest?Thanks! Heated hand grips a good idea?

.330 Dakota
09-08-2013, 11:16 AM
I use a Kolpin, mounted on the left side facing rearward so you can draw the rifle fast with your right hand, much like drawing a pistol from a shoulder holster,,its safe and fast

bearheart
09-08-2013, 11:28 AM
Thanks alot, top cover on or off?

Sofa King
09-08-2013, 11:36 AM
we welded the top-cap from an oxygen/acetelyn tank upside down by the footrest.
then I put the tip of the softcase scabbard down into it, and rest the case up alongside the quad.
it rests in the notch by the rear of the seat, and my leg is on the outside of it which holds it even more in place.
worked awesome so far and almost cost nothing.

huntcoop
09-08-2013, 11:52 AM
Kolpin boot on the right side with the barrel end in the footrest with the cover off, you'll will never need to get your gun out THAT fast when cruising down a road. Heated grips are a must.

MRP
09-09-2013, 08:13 PM
I don't have a gun with a pipe longer than 20" so I had to make mine. A Koplin is to big and heavy.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/scaber.jpg (javascript:;)

mike_69
09-10-2013, 11:12 AM
I have and use both but prefer the handlebar mounts for ease of access. And yes, heated grips are a must in cold weather.....

M.Dean
09-11-2013, 10:40 PM
Hand Warmers, Thumb Warmers, Windshield, Electric Vest and not to be over looked, a Coffee Cup that plugs in, keeping your Coffee steaming hot, even in freezing cold Temps! I made two J hooks and taped them real good too the windshield posts, works like a Hot Dam!!! I also use a Koplin Gun Boot, it normally holds one of my 300 Mag's. I like to keep my "Rifle of the Day" in the front gun holder, just in case I run into a real hungry bear, or like the "Cougar" "Puma" or sometimes called a "Mountain Lion" that jumped out in front of me this morning, and thank Christ it ran up the road, and not towards me!!! Still took me about 5 or 6 seconds to chamber a round, but the brush was so thick I couldn't see 3 feet into it, and yes, the gun was pointed in his last know direction, with the safety off as I drove by!!! No dam wonder the deer are so spooky this year up here!!! (p/s, I did not ride the Quad with a Loaded Firearm, I pushed the Quad until I was safely away from the point where the Cat ran into the bush, then I Unloaded the Firearm, then got my ass back on the Bike!) Just for those who look for any "Illegal Activity" posted by some members!!!

Dmytro
09-19-2013, 11:36 PM
I have arctic cat forks up front. Rifle sits well in there and is easily accessible.

BCBRAD
09-20-2013, 08:42 AM
I use a Kolpin, mounted on the left side facing rearward so you can draw the rifle fast with your right hand, much like drawing a pistol from a shoulder holster,,its safe and fast

same here , only the right side. Also have handle bar mount where rifle sits majority of the time.

Sofa King
09-20-2013, 08:58 AM
I don't use my quad for actual hunting.
just to get to even more remote areas that I can't with my truck.
it's not often that I will go for a long ride on the bike searching for game.
most often, I just throw my gun over my back on the back.

MRBucks
09-20-2013, 10:05 AM
For years I just used the sling, and have the rifle lay across my chest.
I felt there was less chance of the scope getting banged out of alignment, and the gun stayed pretty darn clean. A good sling pad makes it a little easier on the neck/shoulder. I could step off the quad, un-sling the gun, and be ready to shoot, faster, and with less movement, or fumbling with covers, straps, etc.
After several years, I built up a lump of sorts on my chest, where the gun would rub. Scar tissue I gather? I suppose if I had a quad today, I would probably vouch for some sort of a handlebar scabbard.