PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hunt in the Valemount area?

davet
09-08-2013, 09:02 AM
well i just spent a week hunting in 3-30. and nothing !!!! this is my first year hunting so i do need to learn a few things.

I am interested to drive and spend a few days hunting up in Valemount.

Has anyone hunting in that area in mid october?

anyone willing to give me some pointers Please !!!! Or even a better spot to go.

thanks so much
Dave

BearStump
09-08-2013, 02:47 PM
punch in the word Valemount into the search box. You'd be surprised how much info can be gained by just spending a couple hrs reading through threads. Then write down the names of the FSR's that keep getting mentioned in those threads. Then get a backroads map book and figure out where the heck you want to start. Also spend some time on google earth looking around the area that you've lowered it down to. Before you know it you'll feel like you know the area pretty well and you'll be confident while driving out there that you know where you're going.
All that being said, nothing beats feet on the ground scouting trips.

tuner
09-08-2013, 02:52 PM
why go so far ? there are plenty of hunting opportunities within 2.5 to 6 hours of here.

ruger#1
09-08-2013, 03:03 PM
well i just spent a week hunting in 3-30. and nothing !!!! this is my first year hunting so i do need to learn a few things.

I am interested to drive and spend a few days hunting up in Valemount.

Has anyone hunting in that area in mid october?

anyone willing to give me some pointers Please !!!! Or even a better spot to go.

thanks so much
Dave
The time to hunt 3-30 is mid october. Then the deer will be migrating. And it will be any bucks.

KB90
09-08-2013, 03:04 PM
If I was going to drive all the way from the lower mainland Valemount would not even be on the radar.

Remmy
09-08-2013, 03:10 PM
Summerland, Barrier, Kamloops, Vernon, Falkland, Merritt....All of these areas are probably less that 4 hours from you and much better than Valemount unless you have a Draw.

Sofa King
09-08-2013, 03:54 PM
why go so far ? there are plenty of hunting opportunities within 2.5 to 6 hours of here.

how far do you think it is to valemount?
something is wrong if you can't get there in that time.

but like some others mentioned, there's far superior areas much, much closer.
still, there's nothing wrong with going out a little farther and trying somewhere new.
one thing's for sure, you'll be more out of the rat-race that's found out in most those closer areas.
why go where everyone else is?

davet
09-08-2013, 04:17 PM
Thats it i dont want to go where everyone else is, but then again I have had no luck this year so i do want to go somewhere where i can harvest a dear or moose.

still, there's nothing wrong with going out a little farther and trying somewhere new.
one thing's for sure, you'll be more out of the rat-race that's found out in most those closer areas.

davet
09-08-2013, 04:18 PM
Great thanks BearStump. I will try that.

punch in the word Valemount into the search box. You'd be surprised how much info can be gained by just spending a couple hrs reading through threads. Then write down the names of the FSR's that keep getting mentioned in those threads. Then get a backroads map book and figure out where the heck you want to start. Also spend some time on google earth looking around the area that you've lowered it down to. Before you know it you'll feel like you know the area pretty well and you'll be confident while driving out there that you know where you're going.
All that being said, nothing beats feet on the ground scouting trips.

davet
09-08-2013, 04:28 PM
I was also thinking area 5-1/5-2 or 8-5/8-4.much closer.

BearStump
09-08-2013, 05:00 PM
unless youve got a moose draw, I would avoid 5-1 in mid october. No deer, they migrate south. It will be another dissapointing trip for you.

horshur
09-08-2013, 05:28 PM
unless youve got a moose draw, I would avoid 5-1 in mid october. No deer, they migrate south. It will be another dissapointing trip for you.

if you drive highway twenty four in mid October at night there will be several close calls with deer ........the info on the internet is getting poorer by the year..

tuner
09-09-2013, 05:24 PM

you can make to valemont from chilliwack in less than 6 hrs?

russm
09-09-2013, 05:40 PM
The time to hunt 3-30 is mid october. Then the deer will be migrating. And it will be any bucks.

Shhhh, let him think there's nothing there :D

Sofa King
09-09-2013, 06:36 PM
you can make to valemont from chilliwack in less than 6 hrs?
hell yeah. one would have to be sunday driving to take longer. we were getting to biggar from kelowna in 11 hours.

doubled
09-09-2013, 07:04 PM
Region 5 for moose is all LEH. Region 3 and 8 is what I would focus on if you are coming from the coast. Lots of areas there full of deer and some moose kicking around. I would personally hit the Merritt area and explore to Kamloops, you will see lots of mules, whiteys and may even bump into a nice little spike moose. Check the backroads and google earth the hell out of it. Lots of logging from M to K so you will have lots of areas to hunt and access will be easy. Perfect your skills in the easy areas and then hit the harder areas as your confidence and ability grows. Good luck and I look forward to reading of your success.

Sofa King
09-09-2013, 07:09 PM
no game at all around merritt. best to move on and try elsewhere. try clearwater or tunkwa.

doubled
09-09-2013, 07:13 PM
Duallie, you are full of sh!t. Have you got a house around there, LOL.