PDA

View Full Version : Dogs chasing and/or killing maiming deer or other wildlife

Rackem
09-05-2013, 09:58 AM
When I lived in 150 Mile House, two huskies were shot by a C.O. because they were chasing and killing deer. Neighbors called the C.O. and the officer shot them both as they were in pursuit.
I have also heard reports of hunters shooting dogs in pursuit of deer....

I have been paranoid with my dogs as a result, being very careful to discourage them from chasing anything. Do you have any tips for training your dog not to chase game?

What are your thoughts on this law?

http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws_new/document/ID/freeside/00_96488_01

BC Wildlife Act

Dogs hunting game78 A person commits an offence if the person causes or allows a dog to hunt or pursue

(a) wildlife or an endangered species or threatened species, or
(b) game, except in accordance with the regulations.

Destruction of animals79 (1) An officer may kill an animal, other than a domestic animal, that is at large and is likely to harm persons, property, wildlife or wildlife habitat.
(2) An officer may kill a dog that is
(a) at large in a wildlife management area, or
(b) at large and harassing wildlife.
(3) An officer may kill a cat at large where wildlife is usually found.

Rackem
09-05-2013, 10:02 AM
From Capital Regional District...
http://www.crd.bc.ca/animal/dangerous.htm

Wildlife Protection Deer chasing by dogs is against the law. Persons who allow a dog to chase wildlife, contrary to the regulations of the Wildlife Act, are subject to a fine of up to $1000 or imprisonment for up to six months (Wildlife Act, Section 80).
Dogs may be killed by a Conservation Officer or Peace Officer, if they are at large in a wildlife management area, or if they are running at large and harassing wildlife (Wildlife Act, Section 81).

hare_assassin
09-05-2013, 10:19 AM
My thoughts are, the law is the law and it seems to me there is good reasoning behind the law in this case.

I also think that any dog needs to be ultimately controlled by his/her master. A single word spoken from the master's mouth should bring the dog to submission and service of the master. This is achieved through proper training and conditioning, from a very young age.

I love my dog, and he loves me back, but that is only because he knows his place and he is 100% obedient. A dog that disobeys, and runs at large of it's own free will is a menace to itself and others. If such a dog is terminated by a CO, then the right thing has happened.

Rackem
09-05-2013, 10:26 AM
Of course the regulations do allow for hunting with dogs too. Just have to be careful.

From the regs:
Dogs
4The use of dogs is permitted in the hunting of all game, but dogs
must be on a leash when used to hunt deer, elk, moose, mountain
sheep, mountain goat and caribou. Unleashed dogs may be used to
hunt small game, lynx, bobcat, grizzly bear, black bear or cougar. Any
person may train dogs by allowing them, under supervision, to pursue
game birds from August 1 to April 30.

Aheny
09-05-2013, 10:53 AM
In my opinion, it is important to have a solid verbal control of your dog if you are going to let it run loose, and if this isnt possible then training or a control collar may be needed.

adriaticum
09-05-2013, 10:54 AM
Phew, this is a tough question.
With prey drive you have to start early and discourage them from acting on their urges. Train self control.
In most dog sports, hunting and active lifestyle the dog's prey drive will be encouraged.
In other words the dog has to be a couch potato and so does the owner and then also encourage them not to chase.
Leash at all times while the dog is young, treats always handy and every time the dog shows alertness toward some critter, ask the dog to stay put and reward for the behavior.
Some dogs will pick it up fairly fast, but some will take a long time.
My dogs (50 lb) combined will rip my arm out when a squirrel crosses our path.
But then we play all the time, did dog sports and I encourage them to chase and play fetch.
I think leash is the safest thing for that.
Some people have a calm disposition and naturally are calming to everyone around them. This would probably be easier for them. (Phlegmatic)
But you are not one of those. :mrgreen:

hare_assassin
09-05-2013, 11:07 AM
People obviously have different approaches to dog training. I got my dog off the leash as quick as I could. Trained him to heal beside me while walking no matter what happens. I've never had his 75 pounds pulling on a leash because he hasn't required a leash since he was a puppy. He learned to listen to me, because I gave him no other choice.

I roughhouse with him, play fetch, etc. all the time. His prey drive instinct is very strong, but his respect for me is much stronger. Camping on the weekend, he watched the squirrels the whole time. I could just see the excitement in him. But he never even takes a step unless I give him the word... Heck, he won't even eat his food until I've told him it's OK.

Rackem
09-05-2013, 11:20 AM
With my American Bulldogs, I had to be very very careful. They had extreme prey drive, so the very first command they learned as pups was "OUT!", and the second was "COME!" and the third was "DOWN!". This proved extremely useful.

When they were pups, I would initiate tug play. They were never allowed to initiate this play. I would tell them to "Take it", and they would immediately bite the tug. Then we would fight til the pup was pretty amped. Then I would OUT them, at first manually, but soon they spat it out themselves. The reward was me restarting play. We would do this for 15 min or so, til the amped up pup would OUT immediately and wait patiently for the TAKE IT.

This saved one of my turkeys once. My big 140lb male Angus grabbed a stupid Turkey that flew into the dog yard. I was washing the dishes and saw it happen. I opened the window and yelled OUT!, and he immediately dropped the bird. Then I yelled DOWN! and he dropped. I went out and collected the Turkey and gave Angus a big chunk of moose meat and a cuddle. We were both very happy.

Foxton Gundogs
09-05-2013, 11:34 AM
I've "trash" broke as well as snake broke many dogs. 1 word E-collar, then set them up to chase a couple of times hitting them on High and they will get the idea

ruger#1
09-05-2013, 11:37 AM
I've "trash" broke as well as snake broke many dogs. 1 word E-collar, then set them up to chase a couple of times hitting them on High and they will get the idea
X2. I have two collars and I use one on my wife when we go shopping. Now she asks me if she can buy the product.

hare_assassin
09-05-2013, 12:29 PM
With my American Bulldogs, I had to be very very careful. They had extreme prey drive, so the very first command they learned as pups was "OUT!", and the second was "COME!" and the third was "DOWN!". This proved extremely useful.

When they were pups, I would initiate tug play. They were never allowed to initiate this play. I would tell them to "Take it", and they would immediately bite the tug. Then we would fight til the pup was pretty amped. Then I would OUT them, at first manually, but soon they spat it out themselves. The reward was me restarting play. We would do this for 15 min or so, til the amped up pup would OUT immediately and wait patiently for the TAKE IT.

This saved one of my turkeys once. My big 140lb male Angus grabbed a stupid Turkey that flew into the dog yard. I was washing the dishes and saw it happen. I opened the window and yelled OUT!, and he immediately dropped the bird. Then I yelled DOWN! and he dropped. I went out and collected the Turkey and gave Angus a big chunk of moose meat and a cuddle. We were both very happy.

Beautiful. Love the name, too.

My boy is Shamus (derivation of Seamus):

http://www.cogitech.ca/photos/8512/shots/img_2505_1.jpg

...and with his summer coat:

http://www.cogitech.ca/photos/8512/IMG_4589.jpg

Rackem
09-05-2013, 01:21 PM
His full name was Holdfast's Angus Filthy McNasty...lol

smeegle
09-05-2013, 04:27 PM
When I was younger I would always take my dog to the local beach for a run and a swim (if anyone knows icarus area if Nanaimo) he found a deer and chased it into the water for half an hour needles to say he got a good scolding when he came back and from that day on real I need to all verbal and whistle commands.

hunterdon
09-05-2013, 04:59 PM
I've had many large dogs over the years, and it seems they all have a natural instinct to chase deer. So, the first thing I do, or rather I don't do is teach them not to chase deer. Better still, I actually take the dog in the bush and look for deer. When we find deer, I teach the dog to immediately sit and only watch the deer. Of course you've got to keep the dog within arms reach. So instead of teaching the dog what not to do, teach the dog what to do.

After several outings, I've always had success. Now, when I go for a walk, sometimes my dog will stop and sit still, and even after motioning to come, the dog stays put. That's when I'll look closely, and sure enough there is usually a deer nearby in the bush. Once they learn this, it becomes natural to them.

As far as the law goes, I think it's a good one. Without this law, I have no doubt there would be a lot more dogs running loose and chasing deer. Oh, by the way, it's usually the owners who are NOT hunters that seem to let their dogs run loose.

Barracuda
09-05-2013, 05:12 PM
E collar is your friend when it comes to trash breaking.

as long as its legal have at er .

You will find that people that don't like dogs being used for hunting conjure up all sorts of fabrications about hunting dogs running deer etc etc or say they can shoot them etc but as you pointed out only a person authorized to do so can do that . .

phoenix
09-05-2013, 05:26 PM
I have deer in my yard just about every day and my three dogs, through training with a shock collar, would never dream of chasing them. It only took a couple of high power zaps and the "NO" command and their deer chasing instincts were overruled by their self preservation instincts very quickly.
Kim

yamadirt 426
09-05-2013, 06:01 PM
I for one would never shoot at a dog even if it was chasing wildlife or ever actually. Maybe in a pack situation but that is so unlikely. Im not afraid of any dog by itself but i will stab the shitz out of one if it does attack me or my dog. As for in the field I hunt grouse in deer territory and if someone shoots at my dog with his orange ecollar on and his vest while out in the field hed better expect a fire fight or his vehicle torched if I find it. Im not sure what kind of Dbag would shoot a dog that he sees deep in the woods anyhow. Could be someones lost pet, who knows, But im sure these POS exists somewhere.

Shuswap guy
09-05-2013, 08:43 PM
So I read a peace officer or CO can shoot dogs, running deer/wildlife. Similarly, a farmer protecting livestock. However, is it legal for a private citizen to shoot a dog running deer on a private forestry land? Probably not.

Barracuda
09-05-2013, 09:17 PM
no it is not legal for a pvt citizen to shoot a dog if they see it chaseing wildlife .

if you do a search it has been covered in a few threads kinda like this one http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?28415-Wild-dogs-what-would-you-do&highlight=viciously

Peter Pepper
09-05-2013, 09:19 PM
So I read a peace officer or CO can shoot dogs, running deer/wildlife. Similarly, a farmer protecting livestock. However, is it legal for a private citizen to shoot a dog running deer on a private forestry land? Probably not.

It is not legal for a private citizen to shoot a dog that is not their own. You may only report to Co's. Plus ya, what yamadirt said.

Shuswap guy
09-05-2013, 09:32 PM
Good to know, thanks, not that I would consider doing it. I have livestock protectors that chase everything off the property. I'd be choked if a hunter on an adjacent property thought it was legit to pop them.

quigleyoutwest
09-05-2013, 11:48 PM
we all have to do our best to keep our pets from interfering with wild animals. wild animals are alot more important than a dog.

Rackem
09-06-2013, 06:30 AM
we all have to do our best to keep our pets from interfering with wild animals. wild animals are alot more important than a dog.

Not to me, my dogs are more important than a wild animal, that's why I eat wild animals and not my dog. But I do believe we have to be responsible dog owners, keeping the dog safe and in control.

I have lost two dogs to nutjobs shooting them. One was because I was the tech attending an animal cruelty investigation on a very very bad man, and he was also my neighbor. So he shot my lab Benson. That man later disappeared, but he was such a horrible person, I am sure he was disappeared by someone in repayment of some of his other actions.

The other incident, we were out hunting in a very remote area, and I was walking my red dog Bud, and my friends obese Rottweiler. As the dogs were running ahead of me about 100 yards, and rounded a corner, I heard gun shots. I had a horrible feeling and ran to where the dogs were.

I saw a pickup truck, a man with a gun, and both dogs lying dead in pools of blood. I started running toward the man, screaming, and he jumped in his truck and drove off.

I got the plate, and the men in the camp heard me screaming and raced out, chased the man but he would not pull over, so they called the RCMP. The RCMP caught him, apparently he had been shooting dogs for awhile, claimed that he thought the dogs were just abandoned in the bush. RCMP pressed charges, apparently he did a few days in jail. I just wanted to kill him.

This is Bud, and Charley Barley, my prairie dog.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/p206x206/302849_10151116217310754_1975240551_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/604001_10151116217970754_1656995708_n.jpg

coplin
09-07-2013, 12:53 PM
Of course the regulations do allow for hunting with dogs too. Just have to be careful.

From the regs:
Dogs
4The use of dogs is permitted in the hunting of all game, but dogs
must be on a leash when used to hunt deer, elk, moose, mountain
sheep, mountain goat and caribou. Unleashed dogs may be used to
hunt small game, lynx, bobcat, grizzly bear, black bear or cougar. Any
person may train dogs by allowing them, under supervision, to pursue
game birds from August 1 to April 30.

they can pursue game birds, doesn't have to be a hunt??????

Rackem
09-07-2013, 12:58 PM
Under supervision...

redneckjoe
09-11-2013, 03:03 AM
My thoughts are, the law is the law and it seems to me there is good reasoning behind the law in this case.

Actually had this conversation while staying in Finland for 6 months while trying to make friends to import a hunting dog from Europe. A lot of the hunters there were very curious why people in Canada shoot dogs for chasing deer. They were horrified people would use electronic-collars too. If one of their rabbit-hounds or fox-hounds had a tendency to chase moose or deer, then those dogs are put down. Using e-collars to amend improper prey-drive hides bad-breeding in their eyes. Dogs can be kept off-leash 7-months of the year; but must be kept on leash during breeding season during that 5-months. During the 7-months, only hunting dogs are allowed to pursue wildlife within the designated seasons. Albeit, no one really enforces the hunting dog segment of the wildlife protection laws.

Apparently over there, scenthounds or other breeds which are vocal on track over 28 centimetres are not allowed to chase deer or moose. Essentially, only Drevers, Daschunds and other small breeds under 11 inches could be used in deer-hunting. Only those bred to be silent on track and bring the moose to a stand are allowed to be used in hunting: Swedish Elkhounds, Norwegian Elkhounds, Karelian Bear Dogs. If the dog harasses the ungulate by endlessly pursuing or attacking the animal, the dog is to be shot. The dog must bring the moose to a stand, or it is considered as an unethical chase. Most of their moose-dogs don't bother with chasing White-tailed Deer or Roe Deer since the deer don't stand still.

Hunting deer with dogs in Japan, Middle East, Central Asia, Europe and in former Confederate states is allowed as well. However, the regions which allow these activities don't see snow if any. Almost every other culture, except North America and only a proportion of it, allows dogs to be used in deer-hunting.

So, the only conclusion I can think of why dogs are shot for chasing deer in northern United States and in Canada is this: from what I have read about the era of unregulated hunting before 1920s, winter is the most dangerous time for a deer since the dog ends up mauling the deer or chasing it to exhaustion. In addition, only the Inuits have a culture of baying musk-oxens with barking dogs and the Tahltans with moose and wapiti. The rest of Canada traditionally used foxhounds and deerhounds.

The historical texts on the horrors of how scenthounds decimated the deer-populations in Canada and northern
United States are very clear. One never read those types of stories elsewhere in the world where people do hunt deer with dogs.

So, it makes sense to ban dogs' pursuit of ungulates simply because, unlike Scandinavians, Balts, Slavs and Siberians, we Americans never developed a culture where one can ethically hunt large herbivores in deep snow. One could argue the aboriginals had baying-dog culture similar to northern Europe, eastern Europe and Russia; but the European settlers never adopted that way of hunting and instead used scenthounds borrowed from Anglo-Saxon, French and German cultures. The history of abuse of our natural resources with scenthounds are now reflected in the laws which prohibit dogs from chasing deer or moose.

So, the Conservation Officers did the right thing for shooting the huskies. Sled-dogs and scenthounds are notorious for endlessly pursuing their prey for hours without giving up. Most other breeds give up chasing deer when they realize they can't catch them.

Rackem
09-11-2013, 07:13 AM
I wonder if you could use Irish Wolfhounds to hunt wolves and coyotes...

Hodaka
09-11-2013, 08:29 AM
Oh, by the way, it's usually the owners who are NOT hunters that seem to let their dogs run loose.
This. I was out photographing deer in a provincial park last winter, and a couple people came crunching up the trail behind me on snowshoes (not sure why they were wearing snowshoes - not enough snow for that), and they were followed by several dogs.
me: you might want to leash the dogs - there's a heard of deer about 50yrds up there.
woman: my dogs don't chase deer
me: really? That's great.
I had just witnessed her giving the dogs a command that they did not obey. Not sure what would have happened if they had scented the deer, but fortunately the deer had not crossed our trail, and the wind was not giving away their position. I promptly left the area.

coplin
09-11-2013, 08:36 AM
It is not legal for a private citizen to shoot a dog that is not their own.

Does anyone know if your dog got hurt bad ,like say hit by a passing vehicle and you knew it wasn't going to make it, can you shoot her? What about the no discharge in city limits by law, does that not apply in this kind of situation?

Barracuda
09-11-2013, 09:16 AM
Actually had this conversation while staying in Finland for 6 months while trying to make friends to import a hunting dog from Europe. A lot of the hunters there were very curious why people in Canada shoot dogs for chasing deer. They were horrified people would use electronic-collars too. If one of their rabbit-hounds or fox-hounds had a tendency to chase moose or deer, then those dogs are put down. Using e-collars to amend improper prey-drive hides bad-breeding in their eyes. Dogs can be kept off-leash 7-months of the year; but must be kept on leash during breeding season during that 5-months. During the 7-months, only hunting dogs are allowed to pursue wildlife within the designated seasons. Albeit, no one really enforces the hunting dog segment of the wildlife protection laws.

Apparently over there, scenthounds or other breeds which are vocal on track over 28 centimetres are not allowed to chase deer or moose. Essentially, only Drevers, Daschunds and other small breeds under 11 inches could be used in deer-hunting. Only those bred to be silent on track and bring the moose to a stand are allowed to be used in hunting: Swedish Elkhounds, Norwegian Elkhounds, Karelian Bear Dogs. If the dog harasses the ungulate by endlessly pursuing or attacking the animal, the dog is to be shot. The dog must bring the moose to a stand, or it is considered as an unethical chase. Most of their moose-dogs don't bother with chasing White-tailed Deer or Roe Deer since the deer don't stand still.

Hunting deer with dogs in Japan, Middle East, Central Asia, Europe and in former Confederate states is allowed as well. However, the regions which allow these activities don't see snow if any. Almost every other culture, except North America and only a proportion of it, allows dogs to be used in deer-hunting.

So, the only conclusion I can think of why dogs are shot for chasing deer in northern United States and in Canada is this: from what I have read about the era of unregulated hunting before 1920s, winter is the most dangerous time for a deer since the dog ends up mauling the deer or chasing it to exhaustion. In addition, only the Inuits have a culture of baying musk-oxens with barking dogs and the Tahltans with moose and wapiti. The rest of Canada traditionally used foxhounds and deerhounds.

The historical texts on the horrors of how scenthounds decimated the deer-populations in Canada and northern
United States are very clear. One never read those types of stories elsewhere in the world where people do hunt deer with dogs.

So, it makes sense to ban dogs' pursuit of ungulates simply because, unlike Scandinavians, Balts, Slavs and Siberians, we Americans never developed a culture where one can ethically hunt large herbivores in deep snow. One could argue the aboriginals had baying-dog culture similar to northern Europe, eastern Europe and Russia; but the European settlers never adopted that way of hunting and instead used scenthounds borrowed from Anglo-Saxon, French and German cultures. The history of abuse of our natural resources with scenthounds are now reflected in the laws which prohibit dogs from chasing deer or moose.

So, the Conservation Officers did the right thing for shooting the huskies. Sled-dogs and scenthounds are notorious for endlessly pursuing their prey for hours without giving up. Most other breeds give up chasing deer when they realize they can't catch them.

ROFL!!!! . I am damn near pissing myself at your expense :lol::lol::lol:

Casagrande
09-11-2013, 09:29 AM
Does anyone know if your dog got hurt bad ,like say hit by a passing vehicle and you knew it wasn't going to make it, can you shoot her? What about the no discharge in city limits by law, does that not apply in this kind of situation?
Not sure about the legality but when my last dog was dying in my arms, he coughed up a shitload of blood. I put him down and went to grab my gun. By the time I returned he was dead. I figured that I would end his suffering and deal with any repercussions later. I at least owed him that.

coplin
09-11-2013, 10:09 AM
Not sure about the legality but when my last dog was dying in my arms, he coughed up a shitload of blood. I put him down and went to grab my gun. By the time I returned he was dead. I figured that I would end his suffering and deal with any repercussions later. I at least owed him that.

ya it'd be an unusual occurence , i would hope based on the situation a P.O. would just let it ride IF someone called it in.

HarryToolips
09-11-2013, 12:08 PM
If your hunting any ungulates you shouldnt have to worry about that anyway, as by law the dogs are supposed to be leashed no??

BRvalley
09-11-2013, 12:31 PM
If your hunting any ungulates you shouldnt have to worry about that anyway, as by law the dogs are supposed to be leashed no??

essentially that is a grey area and not enforced, but I will make sure I have my email printed with my licence in my pocket when in the field

"Long story short, you
are is fine to bring your dog along off leash. The dog cannot be used to
track/chase/flush etc... if off leash"

just as conversation starter, how many threads are on HBC with pics of a leashless dog in company on an alpine trip? technically, that is illegal, but not really enforced

adriaticum
09-11-2013, 01:14 PM
essentially that is a grey area and not enforced, but I will make sure I have my email printed with my licence in my pocket when in the field

"Long story short, you
are is fine to bring your dog along off leash. The dog cannot be used to
track/chase/flush etc... if off leash"

just as conversation starter, how many threads are on HBC with pics of a leashless dog in company on an alpine trip? technically, that is illegal, but not really enforced

I wouldn't really count on the discretion of COs. Even if one guy tells you it's ok I won't bust you as long as your dog is not flushing, the next guy might confiscate all your gear and fine you.
The regs say the dog must be on leash.

BRvalley
09-11-2013, 01:46 PM
I wouldn't really count on the discretion of COs. Even if one guy tells you it's ok I won't bust you as long as your dog is not flushing, the next guy might confiscate all your gear and fine you.
The regs say the dog must be on leash.

considering I spoke with the CO's and their sergeant who work my region, I think they'll remember their own email when I show it to them....and if it goes far enough, I'm confident I can demonstrate due diligence in court, but it would never make it in front of a judge...

dogs say on the leash for hunting...what defines 'actively hunting'...hiking with rifle unloaded? glassing? making a move for a stalk?...I told the CO's my interpretation of actively hunting is a loaded rifle, anything else dog is ok off the leash...he said he was ok with that

BRvalley
09-11-2013, 01:50 PM
as for CO discretion, I was practicing spey casting in a closed area because it was conveniently close to home, with a printed email that said it was ok as long as there was not a single hook in my pack, to avoid 'intention to fish'

a different CO gave me heck, threatened a fine, showed him the email and all he said was "ok, fair enough, carry on"

adriaticum
09-11-2013, 01:56 PM
considering I spoke with the CO's and their sergeant who work my region, I think they'll remember their own email when I show it to them....and if it goes far enough, I'm confident I can demonstrate due diligence in court, but it would never make it in front of a judge...

dogs say on the leash for hunting...what defines 'actively hunting'...hiking with rifle unloaded? glassing? making a move for a stalk?...I told the CO's my interpretation of actively hunting is a loaded rifle, anything else dog is ok off the leash...he said he was ok with that

Makes sense!

redneckjoe
09-11-2013, 08:21 PM
ROFL!!!! . I am damn near pissing myself at your expense :lol::lol::lol:

Instead of ridiculing the post, perhaps provide counter-points?

Perhaps you don't understand electronic collar is banned by law in western Europe; and the use of physical correction such as prong-collar is forbidden by law as well. So, these people don't understand why we have those devices here. No matter how well I tried to explain why hunters here use them, some of them just don't get it. To them, depending on such devices mean the dog is poorly-bred. They don't understand if a dog chases cattle or deer, it will be shot and there is no second chance; because in their eyes, a properly-bred dog wouldn't be harassing livestock and poorly-bred dogs should be culled.

If one reads the works of John Muir, Theodore Roosevelt, Author Robert Hardling and many other writers during the age of market-hunting, they write in great details about how Virginia Foxhounds were used in winter-times in hunting deer in the northern states and in eastern Canada along with many other practices like using fishing hook and a line to catch minks. It becomes really obvious from those texts why Americans banned dog-sports while other countries still retain their.traditions.

Same thing when one read about what people did to turkeys and geese back in the day and how we developed a strong moral code because of those experiences.

yamadirt 426
09-11-2013, 09:39 PM
I hunt grouse in deer territory with a combo gun. SOOOOOOO what should i do leash or no leash. 1 rd chambered rifle, 1 rd chambered shotty. I dont leash or have a short lead dragging

M.Dean
09-11-2013, 10:19 PM
Why the hell is it when you take a dead dog that's being chasing Cattle or Deer or even Kids for that matter and dump it in the owners driveway, they get all pissed off??? My God, you've killed our beloved "Ruffis" or Muffin or some other stupid bloody dog's name! It was like a member of our family!!! We'll Sue, you haven't heard the last from us, you Cold Blooded Murder!!! Well miserable Lady, why the hell didn't you have a nice fenced yard for your beloved bloody dog??? Hey, I know why!!! Because the miserable bloody lady would sooner have her dog shit in my yard, and chase the Rancher's Cattle across the road for entertainment instead of looking after the useless, flea ridden, Deer chas'in mutt herself, Thats Why! If you love your dog, like so many people claim, then look after it, that means fencing your yard, take it for walks, let it run every day, not just when you "Can find the Time"!!! I own a big dog, yes it's like a family member, and yes, I treat it as such!!! Our whole yard is fenced, my dog eats better than most people on this planet, and, it shits in our yard, not the bloody neighbors!!! So, yes, I believe if a dog is chasing wildlife, or livestock it should be put down, Humanly!!!

Rackem
09-12-2013, 06:44 AM
I hunt grouse in deer territory with a combo gun. SOOOOOOO what should i do leash or no leash. 1 rd chambered rifle, 1 rd chambered shotty. I dont leash or have a short lead dragging

You can hunt birds off leash...

Iron Glove
09-12-2013, 07:45 AM
Why the hell is it when you take a dead dog that's being chasing Cattle or Deer or even Kids for that matter and dump it in the owners driveway, they get all pissed off??? My God, you've killed our beloved "Ruffis" or Muffin or some other stupid bloody dog's name! It was like a member of our family!!! We'll Sue, you haven't heard the last from us, you Cold Blooded Murder!!! Well miserable Lady, why the hell didn't you have a nice fenced yard for your beloved bloody dog??? Hey, I know why!!! Because the miserable bloody lady would sooner have her dog shit in my yard, and chase the Rancher's Cattle across the road for entertainment instead of looking after the useless, flea ridden, Deer chas'in mutt herself, Thats Why! If you love your dog, like so many people claim, then look after it, that means fencing your yard, take it for walks, let it run every day, not just when you "Can find the Time"!!! I own a big dog, yes it's like a family member, and yes, I treat it as such!!! Our whole yard is fenced, my dog eats better than most people on this planet, and, it shits in our yard, not the bloody neighbors!!! So, yes, I believe if a dog is chasing wildlife, or livestock it should be put down, Humanly!!!

I agree with your comments about the need to train your dogs and that the dog owner bears the responsibility of fencing the yard, picking up poop, etc., ( all of which we do ) but if you dropped off my dead dog for chasing a deer and you were not a Police Officer or a CO, you would be in big doo doo from me.
You have absolutely no authority to shoot my dog for chasing deer so don't even go there.

BearStump
09-12-2013, 08:08 AM
Wildlife Protection

Deer chasing by dogs is against the law. Persons who allow a dog to chase wildlife, contrary to the regulations of the Wildlife Act, are subject to a fine of up to $1000 or imprisonment for up to six months (Wildlife Act, Section 80).
Dogs may be killed by a Conservation Officer or Peace Officer, if they are at large in a wildlife management area, or if they are running at large and harassing wildlife (Wildlife Act, Section 81).

So if your dog is an untrained idiot you can be fined and or go to jail. But if you raise a douchbag of a kid with no regard for the law, thats OK. No fine.
Pretty strict laws on dogs. People are expected to "do the right thing" and "know better" when they take a dog into their life but there's no shortage of idiot parents who have no idea how to raise their kids.

1/2 slam
09-12-2013, 09:16 AM
I agree with your comments about the need to train your dogs and that the dog owner bears the responsibility of fencing the yard, picking up poop, etc., ( all of which we do ) but if you dropped off my dead dog for chasing a deer and you were not a Police Officer or a CO, you would be in big doo doo from me.
You have absolutely no authority to shoot my dog for chasing deer so don't even go there.

Most wouldn't drop it off. But the problem would be cured.

Iron Glove
09-12-2013, 09:22 AM

Yes but doing something illegal doesn't sit right with me.
Two wrongs don't make a right.
If I come across a poacher in the woods, should I "cure the problem" and shoot him ??

Casagrande
09-12-2013, 09:27 AM
The deer's problem may be cured, buy your problem is just beginning.

Rackem
09-12-2013, 09:59 AM
So if your dog is an untrained idiot you can be fined and or go to jail. But if you raise a douchbag of a kid with no regard for the law, thats OK. No fine.
Pretty strict laws on dogs. People are expected to "do the right thing" and "know better" when they take a dog into their life but there's no shortage of idiot parents who have no idea how to raise their kids.

Some parents do their best and yet still the kid turns into a douche. People have self determination, and are not property, animals are property and do not have "conscience" or the ability to know the law...

And who gets to decide what "a good job" parenting is? Some believe beating the shit out of kids is good parenting. Others believe letting kids do their thing as much as possible is good parenting...

Iron Glove
09-12-2013, 10:32 AM
Some parents do their best and yet still the kid turns into a douche. People have self determination, and are not property, animals are property and do not have "conscience" or the ability to know the law...

And who gets to decide what "a good job" parenting is? Some believe beating the shit out of kids is good parenting. Others believe letting kids do their thing as much as possible is good parenting...

Aw Rackem, you just make too much good sense.
Having been through the Hell of raising one kid that had problems ( all good now ) we can attest to the fact that sometimes, in spite of your best efforts, your kid can be a "douche."
And, in spite of what your kid tells you in later life, in spite of what all the shrinks and counsellors tell you, "it's not your fault, you did the best you could" you still feel like a failure. :cry:
The main difference between having dogs and having kids is you can have the dog put down if needed.

Foxton Gundogs
09-12-2013, 01:23 PM
Theres a pretty sure way, and its legal, to stop a dog from running around the country loose. Try to catch it, I have found most are pretty easy to get your hands on when food is involved. Paint a florescent orange target on its side and hang a spent cartridge around its neck then kick its ass home. I did this a number of times when I lived up north and never seen any of those dogs running loose again

Dre
09-12-2013, 09:25 PM
I think that killing any dog is not right unless as a very last resort. My dog doesn't chase, but all dogs have some prey instinct in them and even the best fence will sometimes not hold a dog. I had a border collie that could scale a 6' fence in a heartbeat. Most dogs will never get close to a deer unless it is an endurance breed like a Husky that could wear it down, so why kill a dog so decisivelly. Wild animals get relocated all the time, but our pets don't even get a second chance. I'd understand if it is a repeat offence, but to see a dog chasing an animal and decide that it needs to die here and now is not right. If a CO brought my dog alive and gave me a fine because it was chasing an animal, I'd shake his hand, if he brought my dog dead, I'd be putting my fist through his face, jail or not. There are many problem dogs caught and returned to the SPCA or their owners every day without having to result to the death sentence, so please, think about it before you decide that pulling the trigger is the only way. Imagine it is your dog that got out of the yard.

Buckmeister
09-13-2013, 12:26 AM
Imagine it is your dog that got out of the yard.

When I was a young boy I was outside playing in the yard. Someone drove by, then slammed on the brakes and threw it in reverse. My dad was there and they asked, "would you like a free dog?". There was a large, curly haired dog in the back of the truck. We said ok, and all of a sudden I had a dog to play with.
A few days later this dog started chasing the neighbors horses. The dog didn't last the day. I wasn't attached to the dog, so I wasn't really sad. I realized that dog was very free spirited, and if it couldn't live with us out in the country without being tied up all the time or kenneled to prevent it from doing bad things, it was going to continue to get in a mess of trouble.