PDA

View Full Version : Home safe thanks to a group of off roaders

Cpl_Punishment
09-04-2013, 10:20 PM
Well I was itching to get out on opening weekend, and despite none of my hunting buddies being able to make it, I decided to head out solo for a quick overnighter.

Left home about 330 in morning for an area north of Carpenter Lake. Poked around a bit, but only managed to stir up a couple of does. On the morning of day 2 I found myself deep in the bush, on some of the sketchiest roads I've ever driven and a brake line wore through, loosing all my brake fluid.

I had to crawl down some nasty grades in 4 low and 1st gear. After about an hour and a half of this I happend across a group of off roaders. One guy happend to be a mechanic, and he got me patched up by blocking the line with a brass machine screw. Then the guys siphoned their brake fuild on four of their rigs down to min, just to get the huge reserviour on my F350 up to min. Then he bled lines and I was able to drive out with brakes on three wheels.

Obviously I'm eternally grateful to this solid group of people. I'm not sure if they are HBC'ers but I did see at least on BCWF decal. So a big thank-you to John, Scott, George, Raz (sp?) and the others who names I didn't catch. I was able to get out safe and home in time for my boys first day of kindergarten. Also learned a few more thing to throw in the truck box for next time.

Wackman
09-04-2013, 10:36 PM
Awesome :-) that's what it should be all about. Helping each other

Philcott
09-05-2013, 06:50 AM
One of the best stories I've read in a while. It's a shame we don't look out for each other more.

dd3boss
09-05-2013, 06:51 AM
It's great to hear about the good guys out there. And good to hear you made it out safe.

Gun Dog
09-05-2013, 08:33 AM
It warms my heart. Those are the people that'll survive the zombie apocalypse while the rest die standing in line waiting for a low fat soy latte.

Abashai
09-05-2013, 08:35 AM
That's great to hear! While not always the case I think people are more inclined to help each other out in the bush. We always try to invite one of our mechanic friends when we're going for extended trips lol

sawmill
09-05-2013, 08:53 AM
One of the best stories I've read in a while. It's a shame we don't look out for each other more.

Who says we don`t?To us it`s the country way.Never leave a man behind.

Darksith
09-05-2013, 08:54 AM
excellent, karma will smile upon that group for a long time :)

North49
09-05-2013, 08:59 AM
That's awesome, good to hear stuff like that.

Philcott
09-05-2013, 09:00 AM
Who says we don`t?To us it`s the country way.Never leave a man behind.

My "we" comment meant the general society. You need look no further than the newspaper to see that many people will just walk by someone in need.

As most/all of us on this forum spend time in the woods I would be surprised if someone left a man behind but I was talking the general population.

Sofa King
09-05-2013, 09:06 AM
good story and good guys.

on the other end, I remember me and some buddies were out muddin' in our trucks one weekend.
we came upon a jeep that was stuck pretty bad, so we stopped and offered to yank him out.
he wasn't sure and said he had a friend on the way.
it wasn't a problem for us, as we like to find the shittiest mud-holes and try to see if we can get through.
well, we're kinda scratching our heads at this guy not anxious to have help getting unstuck.
then his friend shows up, in his jeep, and as he's hooking up to the stuck rig he says to us, "jeeps take care of their own", in an obnoxious tone.
we laughed and continued on with our wheelin' for the rest of the day.
sometimes you stop to offer help and they don't want it.

then there was the other weekend.
I went for a putt up through the hills.
I went in off 5A at quilchena up pennask lake road.
it's a circle drive I like to do.
turned onto the power line that runs right through and crosses the coq at bear creek.
I usually go through to bear creek road or turn and come out at sunset main.
well, right as I was about to turn off the powerline and head toward the sunset main exit, something made me instead go check out a spot.
I went a hundred yards further instead and turned the other way.
me and dad used to camp down this other trail many years ago.
I wanted to go and look at the spot we had made just for old-time's-sake and some memories.
and this trail has a huge wash-out area not far in also, and I planned on going to it and turning around.
I reminisced for a short while at our grown-in old camp, then drove back to the wash out.
I easily could have turned around right at our camp spot, but for some reason I just wanted to see the wash-out area.
as I got to the wash-out, down to the left, in the marshy detour route that people used to bypass, is a jeep, stuck and going nowhere.
these two guys were going in to fish a lake in further.
they had been there most the day, as it was now late on a sunday.
and chances were getting very slim that any vehicle would be coming in this late now on the weekend.
I could see all the various signs of their many failed attempts at trying everything to get unstuck.
I backed down to get close enough to hook on to them and walked them out with the littlest of effort.
they were extremely relieved, and said they were almost about to start walking out.
and driving home, and still to this day I always wonder just what pulled me to go in there even.

BearStump
09-05-2013, 10:04 AM
good story about some good guys. I find that most of the "four wheeling" crowd will take the time to help cuz thats what they love to do. And Karma is a biotch. I used to do alot of wheeling and I always stopped to help others because its not necessarily the 4 wheeling thats enjoyable, its the adventure. There is still plenty of adventure in getting a guy out of the woods who's screwed without ya.

dingdongdenny
09-05-2013, 10:08 AM
for future info if you lose brake line or fluid fill it up with water. It bleeds out quite well and does no damage. Never i repeat never put engine oil in cause it will make all your cups in master cyl, calipers, and wheel cyls go soft and expand and seeze up.Very expensive repair see it a couple times a yr.

250 sav
09-05-2013, 10:40 AM
The way things are supposed to done.

JAFA
09-05-2013, 03:12 PM
Exceptional, just exceptional!

Jelvis
09-05-2013, 03:32 PM
I got a lump in my throat reading that human effort for others, my eyes got a lil cloudy pard. Give these guys a hand, real men. Real Canadians.
Jel .. Real people doin good thangs

solo
09-05-2013, 03:50 PM
Great story thanks for posting so we could read it. Good to hear about the nice things that happen out there.

BRvalley
09-05-2013, 04:16 PM
I used to live in Gold Bridge, if I had the money I'd retire there, very close knit local community, it's truly the good life there.....not sure if any of those guys are local(names don't register anyways) but excellent story, glad to hear you got home safe

nature girl
09-05-2013, 04:57 PM
It is just great when you are in a jam and four guys help you out. Great for them and glad you got home safe.

Jelvis
09-05-2013, 05:30 PM
These type of human beings are the ones this world is waiting for people, true kindness and love for a neighbor like a movie and yet so surreal, a real moment with humans that still care for the life of udderz. These guys are true men and deserve to be awarded for helping, when many wood do nuttin honey. Let's reward this compassionate helpful behavior and hope it mutates and we'll propel humanity ahead together.
Jelly -- Reward these men for being human and champions among us ..

Jager
09-05-2013, 06:12 PM
Great story. On a side note, I was at the PNE and forgot to turn the lights off-dead battery and tired family. Put up the hood and called BCAA. I thought maybe someone would offer a jump....yeah right. No offers in 45minutes. Im sure glad I don't live in the lower mainland.

landphil
09-05-2013, 06:22 PM
for future info if you lose brake line or fluid fill it up with water. It bleeds out quite well and does no damage. Never i repeat never put engine oil in cause it will make all your cups in master cyl, calipers, and wheel cyls go soft and expand and seeze up.Very expensive repair see it a couple times a yr.

Washer fluid and antifreeze are both good options too, and won't freeze if its cold. But yeah, keep all oil away!

Glad they helped you out, pass it on when the opportunity arrises.

BuckNaked
09-05-2013, 06:28 PM
Great story, there is still some good people out there!

Squamch
09-05-2013, 08:43 PM
That's just what you're supposed to do. Don't leave someone out there, it's that simple. This shouldn't be shocking.

Big Lew
09-07-2013, 10:04 PM
That's just what you're supposed to do. Don't leave someone out there, it's that simple. This shouldn't be shocking.

x2! Most of us that have traveled a lot in the back country have helped unfortunate, ill-prepared, or inexperienced people.
Once in a while, not often, you will come upon people with poor attitudes, or won't offer you help if you're in need, but by far, most everyone you assist do greatly appreciate your help. Love to read stories such as yours.

alpinetreker
09-08-2013, 07:30 AM
Glad you made it out safe.