PDA

View Full Version : Here's my best story- What's yours?

SUAFOYT
01-19-2007, 07:50 PM
For most of us it's doldrum time. What's your best gettin' it out story. Here's mine. I'd slept in as I was lucky enough to have filled my LEH moose. It was last day, and one of our group had a LEH cow tag. About 8 I heard them coming back to camp. You just know by the speed and time that something's up. They had seen a bull and two cows down in the river and as last day figured go for it. It was a good shot and he dropped the cow in the river. Water level was real low so didn't float away. Only problem was the slope was as steep as a cow's face and at least 2-300 feet. The shooter stayed, and went down the slope to gut the now floating moose. We hatched a plan to go downriver to where the road was close to the river. We took our canoe and dragged it up river to where our partner was. Along the way various moose bits were floating by. When we got to the now gutted and very wet and clean moose, we took out our secret weapon. All these years we had dragged this raft with us and had never used it. We slipped the deflated raft under the moose, pumped her up, and floated down the river to where we had put in. We were quite proud of ourselves! Even have the pic to prove it. The river was the Bowron in 7-06.

mark
01-19-2007, 07:53 PM
very cool! Is that river jet boatable?

SUAFOYT
01-19-2007, 07:56 PM
very cool! Is that river jet boatable?

Certain parts would be great for a drift. Super country that in 14 years of travel we never saw. Always planned to do it but usually water conditions(as in too fast) got in the way. Can't speak to a jet boat.

Rod
01-19-2007, 08:20 PM
Here is mine, almost forgot about it. This was posted to the net back in 1996 and I recently came across it doing a google search.

To: Offroad@off-road.com
Date sent: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 22:35:14 -0300
Subject: Tents and Tanks
Send reply to: Offroad@off-road.com

We were camped along a remote river in northern Ontario, we had been hunting the river in canoes for a week and had a bull in one marsh answering our calls but he refused to show himself. We decided to stick around for another week but first we had to replenish our food (and alcohol) supply in the nearest town about 75 miles south over some pretty rough logging roads. My buddy Kieth offered to make the trip after dinner with the intention of staying the night in town and calling his office in the morning.

After eating our dinner and telling hunting lies (oops I meant stories) and having a few cold ones I climbed into my tent and immediately fell asleep. Well the previous few days had been extreemly windy and I had tied two of the main guy ropes of my tent to the grill of Kieth's truck to prevent it from blowing away, when he backed out of the camp area he of course floored it and was looking backwards, after dragging me about 30 feet he cut the wheel and I was whipped around at warp 3 over a very nice field of blasted rock while being twisted up inside the tent, the ropes finally broke and ?I was flung into a well positioned tree stump. I survived with one cracked rib and about 6 more bruised up pretty good and my skin was covered with abrasions from the rocks. Kieth saw the tent gone projectile about the time the ropes broke and jumped out of the truck thinking it was only gear in the tent and started screaming about the person who tied a F&^*ing tent to his truck and busted his grill, I only wish I could have seen his face when the reply came from the tattered mess of cloth!
I ended up going to town myself and having my ribs X-rayed and bandaged as well as numerous cuts & scrapes cleaned up, my glasses were broken a $250.00 tent was trashed and I felt like I had been hit by a freight train. I went back to the moose camp figuring I could still hunt but it proved to be impossible to paddle with my damaged ribs so I stayed in camp to cook, two days later while sitting in front of the cook tent drinking a coffee with a large dose of rum for a pain killer I looked up to see a moose about 400 yards away travelling up the logging road towards the camp. I loaded my rifle and waited for it to come in close enough for me to determine if it was legal to take (we had drawn only a bull tag) at about 300 yards my scope revealed small antlers so I nailed him. Now let me tell you what NOT to do when you have a mashed up set of ribs and a super light magnum rifle that is shooting really heavy bullets that have been handloaded with as much power as the case will take, quite simply DON'T SHOOT IT!!! when I pulled the trigger it was just like I had been kicked in the gut by the whole team of Carlesburg clidesdales and I damn near passed out, I was unable to even climb into the truck to drive over to see if I had missed or not so I just waited for the boys to come in for the day, when they arrived I told my story and after explaining that it wasn't just an excuse for failing to cook dinner they went to look for signs of the bull. It was a yearling and he went about 60 yards and dropped just beside the trail from a well placed heart shot.

sawmill
01-19-2007, 08:53 PM
Rod,that was hilarious:lol: What ever possesed you to tye your tent to a truck when you didn`t have the keys in yer pocket?

Rod
01-19-2007, 08:54 PM
Let's just say I have been called a lot of things but never a genious :-)

sawmill
01-20-2007, 07:46 AM
I was driving to work one morning out by Wasa in October and doing the one eye on the road-one eye on the bush thing when I spotted a cow elk hung up in a fence.I wasn`t sure I`d seen what I`d seen so after a mile or so(1 minute at 60 mph)I pulled over,turned around and went back.Could not find her.The fence line was 90 degrees off the road and there was 3 in that mile,so I spent a half hour cruising up and down trying to figure out where the hell I`d seen her,and I knew damn well I`d seen what I`d seen.About the time I was gonna give up I spotted a leg sticking up in air about a 100 yards up the fence line,She had gone down in the time it took me to turn around.I took a pair of side cutters and headed in to her,it was a smooth wire fence,lucky for her ,and when she tryed to jump it one back leg went between the top 2 wires and I don`t know what the hell she did after that but she was all twisted up in it and covered in sweat and laying on the ground looking like road kill.Untll I got 3 feet away from her.Talking in my best horse whisper voice I went to cut the wire I thought would free her and she came completely unglued,leaped up,jumped back over the fence,making it worse and slammed back onto the ground on her back,all the while making noises I never heard an elk make before.I ended up cutting 3 wires to free her ,working within 2 feet of her and as a parting gift when the last one popped she kicked me in the shoulder scrambling to her feet and running off.
So I told the hunting gods they owed me one and the next morning when I was deer hunting I got a beautiful 4x4 mulie.So payback isn`t always a bitch:lol:

sawmill
01-20-2007, 08:06 PM
And then there was that two years I spent as a male sex slave to a previously unknown tribe of Viking women up on the Queen Charlottes.Lucky for me I was rescued when a fishing boat pulled in to find out what all the noise was .Unfortunatly they never made it back to the boat.I still wonder why they thought all 10 guys had to hit the beach?

kootenayelkslayer
01-21-2007, 03:10 AM
I once saw two white-tail does going at it (sexually) amongst a herd of about 8 elk. The does were practically bumping into the elk as they were mounting eachother. It's not my best story, but I think it might just be the weirdest thing I've seen while hunting. It always gives me a good laugh when I think about it, especially as I write this in a drunken stupor at 2 in the morning. Thats why I love hunting, you never know what you're going to see.

hunter1947
01-21-2007, 07:23 AM
Years back up in the cranbrook area we shot 2 bull elk one evening just be for dark ,when two am came around ,we had both elk back at our camp. My other 2 buddies that were with me on this hunt said we will take them into cranbrook and See you back hear in the late morning ,i said ok ,what a fool i was ,i should have gone with them. After they left there was the smell of blood in the back of my truck from the elk we brought out. I was also covered in blood and my clothing. I went to bed in our wall tent and fell asleep shortly after about 2hr latter i hear something outside i grabbed my gun and flashlight opened up the tent flap to see a huge grizzly bear up on its hind quarters trying to get into the back of my truck. I fired a shot in the air and he scooted away ,i then grabbed my sleeping bag and pillow with my gun and run for the truck ,i jumped into the truck started it and pulled out. I then drove out 10 miles pulled over on a side road and went to sleep ,i didn't sleep to good that remaining hours of the morning. Boy did i learn a lesson that hunting triphttp://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon13.gif hunter1947.

model88
01-21-2007, 11:45 AM
Years back up in the cranbrook area we shot 2 bull elk one evening just be for dark ,when two am came around ,we had both elk back at our camp. My other 2 buddies that were with me on this hunt said we will take them into cranbrook and See you back hear in the late morning ,i said ok ,what a fool i was ,i should have gone with them. After they left there was the smell of blood in the back of my truck from the elk we brought out. I was also covered in blood and my clothing. I went to bed in our wall tent and fell asleep shortly after about 2hr latter i hear something outside i grabbed my gun and flashlight opened up the tent flap to see a huge grizzly bear up on its hind quarters trying to get into the back of my truck. I fired a shot in the air and he scooted away ,i then grabbed my sleeping bag and pillow with my gun and run for the truck ,i jumped into the truck started it and pulled out. I then drove out 10 miles pulled over on a side road and went to sleep ,i didn't sleep to good that remaining hours of the morning. Boy did i learn a lesson that hunting triphttp://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon13.gif hunter1947.

You sure it was a grizz, they keep telling us that there isn't any around these parts:wink: :wink:

Ajsawden
01-21-2007, 08:39 PM
well there is always one story that stands out in my mind. 4 of us were hunting in the boston bar area on a rememberance day long weekend.
One of my friends had hunted the area, and said how "great it is, there are deer everywhere" After two days without seeing anything in his areas, we picked a road and drove up it. After entering a burn (the largest i've ever seen) we soon spotted some chukar partridge. My friend jumps out and shoots a couple, but we cant find them in the thick slash and early morning light. Not wanting to waste our last day deer hunting, we head up the mountain and hunt the timber for 4 hours or so. Finally we find the deer, though nothing meeting the 4 point or better. One huge 3x3 that really got the heart the pumping. So on our way down, in the fog and light rain, to the chukars we notice that there is a logging crew working about 1/2 mile up/across the hill from us, and they have another machine about 100 yards up the road from us. At this time they are on a lunch break, and told us they would warn us before going back to work. We park the truck on the road beside where the chukars were. After 5 minutes of searching we have found two. Friend thinks he hit three. All of a sudden we hear a crash, and a rumble. We look up and all we see is fog, but the rumble gets louder. All of a sudden, a log comes barreling out of the fog, clearing the road above us by a good 20 feet. At this time we are all staring in awe as this log slides down the mountain on a path to hit the raod in front of us maybe 200 yards away. The log hits a stump and shifts direction. We're all standing below the truck, and the last thing i remember was turning to run as the log disapeared from view dircectly behind the truck. We scattered in all directions i think. Dad and brother ran towards front of truck, me and other guy ran in direction of back of truck. He hid under a stump, i kept running side hill. The log hit with a defening crash, as it dug a 3 ft deep trench across the width of the road, spraying gravel into buddies eyes. With a creak and a groan, the log rolls back about 6 inches, just cracking the tail light of the truck. To say the least, i was scared shitless, take me home. I was about 12 at the time, but the memory of that log coming out of the fog will stay with me forever.