PDA

View Full Version : Making your own canvas game bags

sheepsheen
09-03-2013, 06:19 PM
Well I have an upcoming Roosevelt elk hunt ahead of me and Im prepping my gear. Anyone made canvas game bags before? Any input on canvas weight or bag size? I curently have 12 oz but that maybe to thick. I was thinking of making them for each quarter and 2 miscilaneous bags for ribs, neck and deboned parts. I plan on using them for my elk this fall and maybe moose/caribou in the future. Thoughts or input would be greatly appreaciated.

09-03-2013, 06:27 PM
Make sure the canvas is not treated with any thing. (paraffin)

Personally, I use high quality cotton pillow cases or sheet material with tight thread count ...... easy to wash and re-use too.

CT

sheepsheen
09-03-2013, 06:38 PM
I have used pillow cases for sheep (awesome) and bed sheets and other light cloth for bigger animals but Im intentionally going to canvas for a bit more rugged bag. Not planning on deboning the elk unless its in ridicoulous far, I was just going to quarter and pack out. Thanks for the tip about Parrifen. I wonder if the princess auto tarps are parafrin?

Darksith
09-03-2013, 07:06 PM
use a bed sheet, holds more than a pillow case, get 2 per sheet. Sew 3 sides. Done, light and EZ

dakoda62
09-03-2013, 07:23 PM
We took up home made 12 oz canvas bags on our recent moose hunt. 13 bags did 2 fully deboned moose. parachute cord sewed in for top tie. 20" x 30" heavy enough to hang with out worry of tear out. weather was warm double tied and folded no worries for blow flies.

reloader60
09-03-2013, 07:34 PM
I did the same as Dakota exept I used 10 oz.Bought the material at a l ocal fabric shop, along with the strongest thread they had. Got the wife to show me how to use her machine, triple stiched the edges and added clothesline for a cord. I can put about 40 pound in a bag,a boned out Elk is about 225 pounds so you make as many as you need. I also made BIG moose quarter bags for about $8.00 a bag. Cheap and great quality , now get to it!!

sheepsheen
09-03-2013, 08:34 PM
Thanks alot guys! I was just debating whether to cut this tarp up or not! Its happening.

BiG Boar
09-03-2013, 08:42 PM
Just curious why canvas is better than cotton bed sheets? I've never had a problem with the coton. I also just bought some light weight caribou game bags. Not sure what the material is, but they are light weight and seem pretty tough. d

Amphibious
09-03-2013, 08:43 PM
Sheets and Pillowcases. Cheap and reusable. Go to the thrift stores. I walked out with 5yr supply for $5.

caper321
09-03-2013, 08:44 PM
Just curious. What's wrong with Alaskan game bags? If you have to spend money on canvas or sheets and do all the sewing. Are they that much better? Are the Alaskan game bags not strong enough? I bought some Alaskan game bags and hope to use them this year. I was just curious because it seems so many people make their own.

bigslim
09-03-2013, 08:50 PM
If you are concerned about what's on the canvas I would be horrified to know what's on his old sheets LOL.

But ya pillow cases work great

sheepsheen
09-03-2013, 09:19 PM
Im just making them for the ability to hang meat, and protect it from flies, dirt etc. You can be way tougher on the bag as it will not rip and will offer way better protection from dirt blow flies etc. You could hang heavy deboned bags right from the bag draw string no problem. People I have talked about canvas with have been big fans.
I already use sheets and pillows and yes they are great but they rip easily and when pressed up against meat tighlty, a blow fly can lay eggs through them. Sheets are nice, cause often there is ample room and the fly can get no where near. Im looking to canvas for its ability to endure a beating on quad, canoe, packboard, riverboat or otherwise for a long time without replacement, just a wash or six. I will still rely on the pillow cases for sheep hunting due to their light weight. This is for heavy game.
Game bags are also great but again when you strech them tight against meat, a blow flies eggs can blow right past and violla ...maggots. Having said that I use these as well when they are available and all these bags are better than having nothing at all.

mwalter
09-03-2013, 10:09 PM
Just a thought correct me if I am wrong but I would consider canvas somewhat non permeable there for your meat may sweat. More durable does sound handy for sure but the meat may need better air flow. Good luck

sheepsheen
09-03-2013, 10:42 PM
Ok Ill correct you, Canvas breathes. Its not waterprrof but water resistant until treated that is. If your ever curious try sleeping under a canvas tarp ( i mean just covering you from the elements not supported above) as compared to a plastic tarp. The canvas leaves your bag nice and dry while plastic leaves it wet and sweaty from perspiration etc.
My concern is that 12 oz canvas may indeed restrict this breathing feature of the material, but some feed back on this subject has led me to believe otherwise. Im set on canvas, it works theres no doubt, Im not breaking ground here several suppliers make them, I was just curious to hear from others that have used canvas, to make there own game bags, what they used and how they liked it. Tomorrow I will cut my princess auto tarp (after I confirm its not coated with anything detrimental) and sew it into gamebags with draw strings. This will be my first venture into the land of sewing but I have a teacher.
Thanks everybody for your input, when I put my story of my elk hunt up I will metion if they got used (if Im lucky) and how they worked.

woodster
09-03-2013, 11:01 PM
Sure Crop feed bags. They're a woven synthetic so they breath and they're indestructible.

brian
09-04-2013, 10:54 AM
My concern is that 12 oz canvas may indeed restrict this breathing feature of the material, but some feed back on this subject has led me to believe otherwise.

12 oz canvas will still be breathable. When canvas gets wet its fibers swell and lock out the water, to a point. But canvas today is often not made from 100% cotton. Most cheaper stuff is made with some kind of acrylic fibers and have added coatings. To avoid this I would source good quality light weight cotton duck canvas from art supply store or reputable fabric store and make sure it is really 100% cotton. Or you could take a cotton bed sheet, double up all the seam lines and double stitch it, easy peasy.