PDA

View Full Version : Rain gear from experience

SeaScene
09-03-2013, 10:21 AM
No more Cdn Tire cheapy stuff.. I gotta get some good rain gear that will keeps a guy dry inside and out and does not weigh more than I do. From the voice of experience out there, what do you guys use ... really use.. hands and knees stalking... walking through thick woods.. etc...

... many thanks

lilhoss
09-03-2013, 10:49 AM
Helly Hansen, imperatech, .... Period.
http://www.helly.ca/EN/products/104-product.cfm

09-03-2013, 10:53 AM
X2 impertech.
unless you need it to breathe.. But if you can walk slow enough to not sweat, impertech is light and 100% waterproof.

decker9
09-03-2013, 11:25 AM
X3 with impertech! They'r even affordable!

Drillbit
09-03-2013, 11:31 AM
Impertech jacket. Poineer bibs. Lightweight and packable.

Ruined a pair of imperteck pants so now I'm using Poineer bibs that look & feel just like imperteck (cheaper too).

For ATV/Skidoo/Boating I run the Cabelas Guidewear Jacket and Pants and they are awsome. Bulky to pack away if not in use though, so no good for a pack trip.

Sitkaspruce
09-03-2013, 12:44 PM

X a bunch, best stuff out there. Do a search on here and you will find all sorts of info on the stuff.

Cheers

SS

cmarrie
09-03-2013, 12:56 PM
Stanfields sprayed with NeverWet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZrjXSsfxMQ

avadad
09-03-2013, 01:41 PM
Get's my vote as well...

adriaticum
09-03-2013, 02:06 PM

With this Neverwet you can spray youself and it doesn't matter what you're wearing.

Ron.C
09-03-2013, 02:52 PM
I used cabelas rain suade for years. Worked well enough but wets out, but now have the HH Impertech.

HarryToolips
09-03-2013, 02:55 PM
I use my old army rain poncho..just a rainproof material in a rectangle like a sheet with a hole and a hood in the middle that drapes over ya..keeps me dry and I can still hunt or whatever while holding my gun underneath and easy to draw your rifle quickly..

butcher
09-03-2013, 03:00 PM
Kuiu chugach.

I had impertech (still do for work) and it didn't hold up well enough. As a hunt wore on it would start wicking moisture up from the bottom up and I'd get soaked. Then it took forever to get dry again. I've used the kuiu chugach for three seasons now including guiding in the NWT and it hasn't let me down at all

RINO
09-03-2013, 03:37 PM

Light and is stretchable .. The best I have found if your ok with non breathable ... Works for me!!

BRvalley
09-03-2013, 04:28 PM
if you can afford it, arcteryx is the best waterproof shell I've worn, but I prefer breathable too....most of their product line comes in some darker/drab colours....they also have their LEAF lineup, but I've never seen it in canada, could probably find it online....IMO their shells and pants are better than sitka

you can always find a few good deals at their outlet in north Van, but mostly if you're XL or XXL

I have a simms wading jacket that pull double duty for hunting when it's really wet

Rackmastr
09-03-2013, 04:54 PM
I have a Sitka Stormfront jacket that is very well built. The pit-zips are a very nice addition for hiking as well. I'd never pay full retail for it though as its WAY over-priced at full retail.

Arcteryx is DAMN good stuff as well. LEAF stuff can be bought at DS Tactical in New West.

rcar
09-04-2013, 12:38 AM
I have 2 sets of rain gear. The HH for those days that are just a downpour and you need to hunker down for an few hours. It sucks if I want to move an acorn 3 inches uphill because the sweat is as bad as the rain. For actual hunting and climbing, Sitka Stormfront. It breathes OK and keeps me dry.

digger dogger
09-04-2013, 07:08 AM
Taiga, extreme weather pants and Jacket!
I made the mistake and bought Sitka for my last set of rain gear. No comparison in water proofing compaired to Taiga.
Another set of Taiga for me next season.. (1st set lasted 7 yrs of hard abuse)

BRvalley
09-04-2013, 12:06 PM
Arcteryx is DAMN good stuff as well. LEAF stuff can be bought at DS Tactical in New West.

good to know where to find LEAF...arcteryx may not directly be in the hunting business, but they earned their reputation making the best mountaineering clothing out there, it's worth the money at full retail but even better if you can find it on sale....having worked at a heli ski lodge that had a working relationship with arcteryx, all i can say is those people are PASSIONATE about what they do, and they actually get direct feedback on prototypes from actual mountain guides

also, it's nice to find an XL that truly fits like XL...not the slim fit stuff sitka makes....

ryanb
09-04-2013, 02:35 PM
Arc-teryx. I stumbled across an amazing deal on a proshell shell and pants when a marine store was going out of business. Picked it up for 60% off retail, still cost me nearly $500 for the shell and pants. Have had it for 5 years now, worn hundreds of days fishing and hunting. Still going strong. I would even pay full retail for it if I had to when my current set wears out.

Personally I would avoid Sitka and Kuiu rain gear. Sitka is way overpriced, and quality is so-so. Kuiu is more reasonable, but I've seen it no hold up very well in a couple of instances.

Just depends on what you need. For someone constantly hiking, rain gear must be breathable.

Downunder hunter
09-06-2013, 05:26 AM
Swazi make some excellent wet weather gear. Well worth a look if you're not familiar with their gear. Made in NZ for some of the wettest conditions on earth. http://www.swazi.co.nz/Online-Shop/Wet-Weather-Gear/

tuchodi
09-06-2013, 06:52 AM
I have the Rocky raingear and it works really good quite and breathable and yes affordable.

Ubertuber
09-06-2013, 06:57 AM
HH if you're going to sit all day. Gortex if you plan on doing any hiking.

mooze
09-06-2013, 07:52 AM
I have a Sitka Stormfront jacket that is very well built. The pit-zips are a very nice addition for hiking as well. I'd never pay full retail for it though as its WAY over-priced at full retail.

for tough: Rivers west original , indestructible, functional and breathes a bit to. And noiseless.
Sitka is ok, but even their best Goretex is a 2 layer only (Gore pro-shell is 3 layer and comes as stretch to)
Arcteryx and Patagonia triple layers or the lighter 2 layer are my go to gear for outdoor sports (ski-touring, mountainering) , no camo here!

calvin L
09-06-2013, 08:10 AM
The newest kuiu rain gear looks great . Big money but in the long run it will be worth it . Water proof and breathable . They claim twice as good as the old stuff and it was unbelievably good .. PM Big Bore

TPK
09-06-2013, 03:03 PM
I ordered some "Herter's Foul Tech Lite" product from Cabela's, hopefully money well spent. Should be here in a couple more days.

Fella
09-06-2013, 04:19 PM
Another vote for HH. Mines just a shell but it's light and keeps me nice and dry. Wear some fleece or wool underneath and you're good to go.

srupp
09-07-2013, 10:20 AM
Cabelas Mt50...for 10 years works extremely well....Rupp tested..

steven

Gun Dog
09-08-2013, 01:30 PM
if you can afford it, arcteryx is the best waterproof shell I've worn, but I prefer breathable too....most of their product line comes in some darker/drab colours....they also have their LEAF lineup, but I've never seen it in canada, could probably find it online....IMO their shells and pants are better than sitkaA basic problem with modern outdoor clothing is that it's NOISY in the bush. That's why I don't use my waterproof breathable ski gear for hunting. My Remington hunter jacket & pants aren't as waterproof but they are a lot quieter. I also like lots of pockets. And lots of layers. A couple of friends went with insulated jackets and pants and they're way too warm on mild fall days. A lined shell is best IMHO.

TyTy
09-08-2013, 02:06 PM

have you tried this??? i guess it would work? ?
i use this stuff for work in the bush. www.zephron.ca it keeps me dry on the rainest of days. its impermeable, but because its loose fittting, it breaths.
gonna try some of that heli hansen this year for hunting, it seems good too

ytlogger
09-08-2013, 02:09 PM
I have a few different kinds of raingear. The combination I use most now is a pair of HH impertech bibs and a top-end Taiga jacket. I choose a parka length over the bomber length. Features I look for in a jacket are 3-layer goretex, pit zips, two way front zip, pockets that double as vents and tuck away hood that fits over a hat or combination of hats. I used to have a Taiga that had side zips at the hip which was convenient for the pack waist belt when it was not raining but i haven't seen that feature for a while. I went to impertech pants because most of the goretex pants I have had simply don't fit me. Once goretex is soaked on the outside it doesn't breath much, but it is a lot warmer and more versatile than rubber for a jacket. Lots of quality gear out there. I think you really have to try some to see what works for you.

longstonec
09-08-2013, 03:08 PM
Arcteryx is really good maybe a smidge loud for some people... never seems to affect the deer I shoot every year wearing it though!

I used the impertec for a little at work and its great, easy to move in just not very breathable.

The L.E.A.F stuff is incredibly expensive and pretty hard to find.

wlbc
09-08-2013, 08:15 PM
HH if you're going to sit all day. Gortex if you plan on doing any hiking.

This is close, a good Gortex if you are moving a rubber material if you are going to be less active. As another poster mentioned I prefer a longer length jacket with plenty of pockets.

BigSlapper
10-06-2013, 08:26 PM
Arcteryx and HH Impertech... Helle for those days that are a deluge and Arcteryx for the days you are moving around. Arcteryx is a bit loud.

huntcoop
10-06-2013, 10:31 PM
For you guys that wear the HH Impertech gear.....bibs or pants and regular jacket or the deluxe jacket?

MuleyStalker
10-07-2013, 07:59 AM
I use a Goretex shell with room to layer underneath for hiking and Carhartt rain jacket for staying put. Helly Hansen jacket would be better though as it is lighter and stretchy.

DLP
10-07-2013, 09:56 AM
hh bibs only in downpour and sitting. just doesnt breath.

wool for hiking and climbing, you will ruin anything else.

i am going to try the army poncho in downpours as this seems to be the only real way to keep self and gear dry in downpours. light rain just any breathable goretex or similar jacket, arm cuffs and length are the big factors for me.

Sofa King
10-07-2013, 10:06 AM
I bought a couple frog tog suits awhile back.
they were awesome and air-light, and soft and quiet.
they wouldn't be good for durability though, not crawling through the terrain on your hands and knees.
I absolutely hate raingear though, I find I am always hiking too much and it just gets sweaty inside.
one day I went out for a drive, and got to an area and decided to go for a hike.
it was now raining though, so I donned my fishing jacket that is waterproof that I happened to have in the truck.
I was a puddle in that thing by the time I got back.

Sofa King
10-07-2013, 10:06 AM
hh bibs only in downpour and sitting. just doesnt breath.

wool for hiking and climbing, you will ruin anything else.

i am going to try the army poncho in downpours as this seems to be the only real way to keep self and gear dry in downpours. light rain just any breathable goretex or similar jacket, arm cuffs and length are the big factors for me.

I like that idea, a poncho.
that way you'd have some breathability.

shottyshooter
10-07-2013, 10:20 AM
I'm giving the HH imperfect a try now. All breathables I've tried sweat out or wet out easily.

The poncho is a great idea because of the air movement and as an added bonus they can be rigged up as a shelter where you plan to sit and observe or as an emergency shelter.

being a gear whore ain't easy - especially when the simplest solution might actually be the best. What fun is that!

Lionhill
10-07-2013, 12:26 PM
go-lite.
poncho and Sil-tarp

http://www.golite.com/Assets/Tents/SheltersTents/PonchoTarp_Evergreen.jpg

shaydog65
10-08-2013, 08:16 AM
HH Impertech for sits, and bush wacking/ game hauling/ camp life. Sitka stormfront lite with gaiters for hiking/ long walks. I don't put the goretex on unless it's really necessary because I'm a sweat pig. Otherwise I run soft shell gear (either the Kuiu guide jacket/pants, or the 90%.)

Last year I had the Carhartts that are similar to the Impertech Pants (light weight and stretchy). They annoyed me because they had large flares at the ankles and the metal snaps constantly snagged on things and pulled them open. They were way to loud to snap back together too.

Ron.C
10-17-2013, 09:48 AM
We just got back from a backpack goat/elk hunt. My partner and I both carried HH Impertech II. Every day was wet with wet snow. We only wore the jackets when it was thumping down, but both wore the pants nearly all the time, including the packout. Neither of us were soaked from sweat. My partner did put a small tear in the pants. Need to watch when crossing downfalls/snags as they will tear pretty easily when hung up on something.

When wearing the Jacket, I just buttoned up the jacket and left the zipper open. Found this breathed well and allowed allot of moisture to escape. Matter of fact on the wettest day, we removed the rain gear in the tents vestibule and could have hopped right in the sleeping bag with the clothes I was wearing because they were dry enough to do so.

Having said all that, the temps were -2 to 7 degrees C. If the temps were warmer, I'm sure there would have been more sweating. But we did do a Mtn goat stak in this stuff, "climbed 1500+ feet" and were confortable.