PDA

View Full Version : best 4x4

goinghunting
09-02-2013, 09:16 PM
Okay guys anyone have any idea's for the best fuel efficient, reliable, 4 seater, 4x4 hunting rigs? The fuel costs of driving my half ton with a quad in the back is starting to limit my trips, and the worst part is im a backpack hunter so my rig doesnt get driven once im at my destination.

Drillbit
09-02-2013, 09:31 PM
Can't edit...Tracker would be my pick. 4dr Auto with AC.

keoke
09-02-2013, 09:33 PM
4 seater side kick would be a good choice.

goinghunting
09-02-2013, 09:36 PM
Was just replying to your volkswagon comment and ive actually considered a vw diesel with a little trailer to pull my quad for when the road turns to dirt but have heard mixed reviews about vw reliability?

GoatGuy
09-02-2013, 09:36 PM
toy p/u is the personal fav.

Drillbit
09-02-2013, 09:49 PM
Was just replying to your volkswagon comment and ive actually considered a vw diesel with a little trailer to pull my quad for when the road turns to dirt but have heard mixed reviews about vw reliability?

Haha, I was just throwing it out there!

Tried to edit and lost everything. After all I've tried, I ended up just driving my truck. The extra costs of a dedicated hunting rig aren't worth it to me.

wunderboy
09-02-2013, 09:57 PM
Okay guys anyone have any idea's for the best fuel efficient, reliable, 4 seater, 4x4 hunting rigs? The fuel costs of driving my half ton with a quad in the back is starting to limit my trips, and the worst part is im a backpack hunter so my rig doesnt get driven once im at my destination.

I currently have a 97 4runner for sale. locking rear diff so its great offroad. easily tows a quad if you need one. Room for 4 plus animal and gear in the back or on the roof. I used it for hunting the last 5 years.

358mag
09-03-2013, 10:56 AM
toy p/u is the personal fav.

That old Red Rocket drive over the fire pit Toyo still running ?

Singleshotneeded
09-03-2013, 11:04 AM
Sidekick/Tracker/Samurai might work for you.

REMINGTON JIM
09-03-2013, 11:43 AM
The BEST 4x4 is the one that gets u there and back without breakdowns that cost you a lot of money and time ! :wink: RJ

Ry151
09-03-2013, 12:06 PM
My side kick is awesome but is not so great on fuel after the lift and 30" muggers. It's also quite slow on the hills now but that's ok with me.

Moe.JKU
09-03-2013, 12:45 PM
Jeep i got a 4 door fits 5 with lots of room for equipment and a deer. and it can tow a trailer or boat (not huge but a 17ft harbourcraft is no problem).

ruger#1
09-03-2013, 05:32 PM
The BEST 4x4 is the one that gets u there and back without breakdowns that cost you a lot of money and time ! :wink: RJ
Hmm, So your telling me I should keep rideing my bike.

adriaticum
09-03-2013, 05:53 PM
Horse is the best 4x4. Never fails. :)

rcar
09-03-2013, 07:42 PM
I have owned quite a few 4x4's over the years and hands down the best was my Jeep TJ. Great clearance and a solid suspension right off the showroom floor so no need for pricy upgrades unless you really want to get into something only a quad shoud be trying. Now this choice is void since you asked for something good on gas...it chould climb a tree but was a pig on fuel.

Legi0n
09-03-2013, 08:25 PM
Jeep of the Wrangler kind
Perhaps you can find a build Cherokee for cheap

REMINGTON JIM
09-03-2013, 08:32 PM
Hmm, So your telling me I should keep rideing my bike.

You should keep riding your bike cause your FAT ! :-D LOL RJ

REMINGTON JIM
09-03-2013, 08:34 PM
I have owned quite a few 4x4's over the years and hands down the best was my Jeep TJ. Great clearance and a solid suspension right off the showroom floor so no need for pricy upgrades unless you really want to get into something only a quad shoud be trying. Now this choice is void since you asked for something good on gas...it chould climb a tree but was a pig on fuel.

I drive a 06 TJ Jeep and i like it -except for the VERY POOR FUEL mileage ! It really sucks - 16 mpg is Terrible ! :cry: RJ

noahs ark
09-03-2013, 08:40 PM
Ouch! My 7000lb cummins diesel gets 18mpg city.
OUCH!!

rcar
09-03-2013, 11:44 PM
OUCH!!

sure....But can it climb a tree?:-D

rcar
09-03-2013, 11:49 PM
You should keep riding your bike cause your FAT ! :-D LOL RJ

Now that is just plain funny!

Legi0n
09-04-2013, 07:56 AM
OUCH!!

I think you're using different gallons

ruger#1
09-04-2013, 09:30 AM
I drive a 06 TJ Jeep and i like it -except for the VERY POOR FUEL mileage ! It really sucks - 16 mpg is Terrible ! :cry: RJ
Stop riding with the emergency brake on. LOL

Sofa King
09-04-2013, 09:37 AM
i'd say pathfinder or forerunner.
I've had both.
Nissan was better for power, but built like a car.
Toyota has less highway speed, but built like a tank and is a far superior 4x4.

REMINGTON JIM
09-04-2013, 08:40 PM
OUCH!!

My GMC Duramax 1 Ton Dually 4x4 gets 16-17 mpg with a 10.8 Corsair camper on its back ! :-D My JEEP TJ 16 mpg ! WTF ! :cry: RJ

REMINGTON JIM
09-04-2013, 08:41 PM
i'd say pathfinder or forerunner.
I've had both.
Nissan was better for power, but built like a car.
Toyota has less highway speed, but built like a tank and is a far superior 4x4.

Now thats just plain FUNNY too ! LOL :-D RJ

09-04-2013, 08:52 PM
What is your budget? Lately I am really interested in the VW Touareg TDI. It has lots of room, can tow 7700lbs and is rated at +41mpg (6.8L/100km) on the hwy.

REMINGTON JIM
09-04-2013, 08:54 PM
What is your budget? Lately I am really interested in the VW Touareg TDI. It has lots of room, can tow 7700lbs and is rated at +41mpg (6.8L/100km) on the hwy.

Can you carry a 4000 lb 10.8 Camper on it ? :confused: :-D LOL RJ

Legi0n
09-04-2013, 09:08 PM

that's not a 4x4
it's a 4WD which may or may not get you in and out a hunt

09-04-2013, 10:16 PM
Can you carry a 4000 lb 10.8 Camper on it ? :confused: :-D LOL RJ

Not everyone needs a camper - especially when you are a backpack hunter like the OP.

that's not a 4x4
it's a 4WD which may or may not get you in and out a hunt

???
Care to explain?

Moe.JKU
09-04-2013, 11:01 PM
Not everyone needs a camper - especially when you are a backpack hunter like the OP.

???
Care to explain?
I agree with you usually if your looking for a 4x4 thats capable you wont be able to tow a trailer into the spot. or you will be to high to get into a lot of spots with a camper on the back. Many roads i go fishing down theres no way a truck any taller than my jeep would get in there. The road is way to rough and way to tight with overhanging cliffs and trees.
On your second comment i think he means is your 4wd touareg or what ever isn't a true 4x4. if has 4x4 but it still has limited slip on it so when one tires spinning it shuts down power to that wheel. Which inevitable makes 4wd not as useful. To me a 4x4 is a vehicle that has 4lo (which a lot of 4wd cars dont have) at the least where there is no limited slip or traction control connected while in 4lo. For instance mine has a locker on the front and rear. So no matter what all wheels are spinning at the same rate. which makes a big difference when one is in the air and the other three are grabbing. Then the one comes down and 2 of the other 3 are in the air or with no traction because that first tire grabs right away there is no lag in power which will burry you in a hole. The car is always getting pulled forward.
However most 4x4 vehicles that people think they do not come with this. This include most trucks and all those 4wd cars. a 4x4 such as a rubicon has this. As well as sway bar disconnects which gives you a lot more wheel travel hence you tires will be on the ground more getting traction.
Now not everyone needs it, but if your talking about an actual 4x4, its something to think of. My 2cents or maybe 4cents.
Hope this helps.
Cheers, Moe.

09-04-2013, 11:15 PM
Moe - The Touareg has a good reputation for off-road capability. The last Touareg was introduced at the Moab. They had/have center lock and available rear lock. You can do a search on Touregs and off-road to see what I mean. Popular Mechanics called it "hyper-capable" off-road.

I think most people don't think of it in that light, but it seems to be very capable indeed.

Sofa King
09-04-2013, 11:36 PM
Moe - The Touareg has a good reputation for off-road capability. The last Touareg was introduced at the Moab. They had/have center lock and available rear lock. You can do a search on Touregs and off-road to see what I mean. Popular Mechanics called it "hyper-capable" off-road.

I think most people don't think of it in that light, but it seems to be very capable indeed.

who would take a touareg hunting?
it's a yuppie 4wd like a range rover or cayenne.
it's a 4wd not a 4x4.

09-04-2013, 11:51 PM
it's a 4wd not a 4x4.

I like to keep my options open. What is the difference between taking it or any other SUV hunting? Last year an outfitter pulled into our camp with a Denali XL.

Moe.JKU
09-05-2013, 07:30 AM

Ill have to look into it a little more. I know i go into a lot of places that most people wont try to get into. But thats because i don't mind scratches or hiting my bumpers or using my rock rails. I was more referring to most 4wd suvs.
And some of those review companies aren't very smart either, they give lots of bogus ratings. Ill have to watch some video tho.

09-05-2013, 08:29 AM
Ill have to look into it a little more. I know i go into a lot of places that most people wont try to get into. But thats because i don't mind scratches or hiting my bumpers or using my rock rails. I was more referring to most 4wd suvs.
And some of those review companies aren't very smart either, they give lots of bogus ratings. Ill have to watch some video tho.

For me 90% of use is daily living, and some camping with very little overall use that actually requires 4x4 and certainly no rock climbing or hard core off road. I guess it depends on the overall balance each person needs. If you need to get into a place where only a worked over Landcruiser, Unimog or Jeep can get into, and you don't want to tow a quad, then you need one of those.

But, like I said, I don't need that kind of extreme off-road capability. Quite frankly being able to go from Prince George to Vancouver and almost all the way back on one tank of diesel in comfort while also being quite capable off-road, and being able to tow up a decent sized trailer and seating my family plus dog in comfort is quite appealing.

Sofa King
09-05-2013, 08:38 AM
I like to keep my options open. What is the difference between taking it or any other SUV hunting? Last year an outfitter pulled into our camp with a Denali XL.

well, I guess if all one does is sticks to decent roads and just drives to a camp and that's about the extent of their "4x4 hunting rig", that might do.

but a 4x4 and a hunting rig to me is something you don't mind getting scrathed or the odd ding.
a rig that you'll come back to camp after downing an animal, and take it to try and get as close to the animal as possible.
or if the weather is shitty one day, you load up in the 4by and put through the trails.
I don't picture my 4x4 as a vehicle that has to remain in camp parked on a decent road.

Moe.JKU
09-05-2013, 08:46 AM
I hear you with the tank of gas. I'm waiting until jeep gets a diesel in the wrangler. And everyone uses it for different reasons and seems like you found one that works.
I don't really have to much done to mine just some 33's, lockers which came with it, solid front and rear axles, going to chop the fender flares and get some 37's on it soon. I do a lot of 4x4ing though to get into fishing and hunting spots. river crossings, rock climbing, just to get to the spots where i still have to hike.
The biggest thing is finding a 4x4 that you will use, that fits your needs. And to tell you the truth 4x4's are usually more capable than most people are willing to take them. if your willing to slam down one your rock rails get a little body damage you would be suprised how far most can go.

Legi0n
09-05-2013, 09:43 AM
???
Care to explain?

Sorry I meant AWD. The Touareg is AWD.

09-05-2013, 09:48 AM
I hear you with the tank of gas. I'm waiting until jeep gets a diesel in the wrangler. And everyone uses it for different reasons and seems like you found one that works.
I don't really have to much done to mine just some 33's, lockers which came with it, solid front and rear axles, going to chop the fender flares and get some 37's on it soon. I do a lot of 4x4ing though to get into fishing and hunting spots. river crossings, rock climbing, just to get to the spots where i still have to hike.
The biggest thing is finding a 4x4 that you will use, that fits your needs. And to tell you the truth 4x4's are usually more capable than most people are willing to take them. if your willing to slam down one your rock rails get a little body damage you would be suprised how far most can go.

I agree with this 100%

Here is a Touareg in some mud - keep in mind this is with tires designed for on-road use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mas8vizBl0

bigslim
09-05-2013, 10:34 AM
Difference in fuel economy between full size 4x4 when they are loaded up is minimal, gas or diesel. What I like is guys talking about gas prices and fuel economy and they drive a $50000+ truck.

David
09-05-2013, 08:14 PM
That Touraeg is running LSDs in the axles - worst thing you can do for mud. If he rode the brakes a bit he probably would have been able to get out by "tricking" the LSD.

New 4X4's are more capable than old ones simply because in the last couple of year a number of manufacturers have been putting lockers in their vehicles. The only downside is noone makes a tranny with a "granny low" anymore (if you prefer standard over automatic). Solid axles are technically better than independent suspension in the really rough stuff, but independent suspension beats the snot out of a solid axle on potholed logging roads.

I really like late 80's or early 90's imports if you can find a rust free one: Isuzu Trooper II's, Land Rover Series I, etc. There is also something to be said for Full-size Bronco's or Blazers and the Bronco II (which is basically a ford ranger) is under-rated. Suzuki's have, IMO, become over-priced for what they are due to popularity (and I owned a built one).

If you're leaving the vehicle stock Nissan's are under-rated - in fact IMO stock they are better than a Toyota, however; if you want to modify a little bit go Toyota - just check for frame rot.

That's all I got.

wunderboy
09-05-2013, 09:06 PM
it's a 4wd not a 4x4.

Well yes Ranger Rover is an expensive luxury vehicle but it has full time 4wd, front rear and center lockers plus air suspension. If you have the money to hunt like a British lord they are very comfortable and capable.

Legi0n
09-05-2013, 09:18 PM
Well yes Ranger Rover is an expensive luxury vehicle but it has full time 4wd, front rear and center lockers plus air suspension. If you have the money to hunt like a British lord they are very comfortable and capable.

British lords hunt on horses with scores of dogs.
Or they used to.

sky-gunner
09-05-2013, 09:21 PM
Nissan Pathfinder. I have a 2010, it has unreal 4x4. Dual throttle maping for 4 low, skid plates up front, and all the other important bits are tucked up under the frame with skidder bars to protect tranny and transfer case. Its also outfitted for comfort, heated seats, seats 7 with the 2 flip ups in the back, or you can fold down all the seats except for drivers seat to make a huge bed or storage space for gear. Strong roof rack, can get tons o weight with a safari rack up top. Tows 6000lbs with the v6. Downside gas pig. but locked in it will climb just about anything, and suprising amount of ground clearance.

09-05-2013, 09:36 PM
That Touraeg is running LSDs in the axles - worst thing you can do for mud. If he rode the brakes a bit he probably would have been able to get out by "tricking" the LSD..

I believe that model has the 4XMotion system:

Nonetheless, there is still a worldwide clientele that uses the SUV under the most extreme conditions. As before, these customers can obtain the 4XMOTION drive (climbing gradient 45 degrees) with the Touareg V6 TDI. This option is offered as a “Terrain Tech” package.

Like its predecessor, it consists of a locking centre differential with electrically controlled multi-plate differential and reduction gearing (2.69:1), increased ground clearance (10 millimetres in front, 15 in rear). In normal operation, a slip-dependent and variable distribution of propulsive forces occurs between the front and rear axles (40:60). Moreover, the centre differential can also be locked for a rigid power distribution.

The reduction gear level can be electrically engaged via the switch on the centre console. It permits maximum utilisation of propulsive force at low speeds. This is how the Touareg V6 TDI attains the noted climbing gradient of 45 degrees – a 100 percent grade. As an option, a rear differential with transverse lock and 100 percent locking effect can be ordered. The driver initiates activation of the differential lock (100 percent). To improve traction and dynamic performance, the transverse lock is automatically activated and metered according to the driving situation.

09-05-2013, 09:47 PM
British lords hunt on horses with scores of dogs.
Or they used to.

I believe they now use the Range Rover Holland & Holland Edition, which comes with all the neccessary tidbits to satisfy the Gentleman or Lady Hunter.

For example, I do not know how one could ever do without built in walnut gun cabinets - with room for up to 8 of your favourite H&H firearms:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-TquYnZC54ms/TZuqVl_ETHI/AAAAAAAAI3U/W3hC0Kl7irA/s400/Limited%2BEdition%2BRange%2BRover%2BHolland%2B%252 6%2BHolland%2BBy%2BOverfinch%2B5.jpg

And if you are wondering - "Where on earth would I actually use a vehicle with such a pedigree?" - I will add a quote from Range Rover:

Whether it be an equestrian event requiring towing a horse box, long walks with the dogs, a polo match in Surrey or fly fishing on the Spey, the Holland & Holland Range Rover will get there in style and confidence.

"But," you say, "what options are available to set me apart from the crowd?" Well, not to worry, you can order:

• Traditional picnic hamper with full bone china, engraved crystal glasses and woodgrain thermos flask.
• Picnic rug in Bridle leather holdall.
• Mini binoculars finished with walnut.
• Gun cleaning kit.
• Shooting stool finished in Bridle leather.

wunderboy
09-05-2013, 10:02 PM
Man...My Ram doesn't come with a single picnic basket

09-05-2013, 10:14 PM
Man...My Ram doesn't come with a single picnic basket

*facepalm* Picnic hamper, not basket. Do you want them to laugh at you at the polo field....or whatever they call the place they play that game?

You could just pick one up off ebay.
http://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/grey-willow-picnic-hamper-4-persons-c2a350-www-johnlewis-com.jpg?w=650&h=0&crop=1

Throw a couple of Pelican gun cases in the back and you are good to go. With the money you saved by buying the Dodge and H&H-ing it yourself you can buy a lifetime supply of Chèvre and Pouilly Fuisse.

09-05-2013, 10:19 PM
Oops...I forgot the original has a Woodgrain Flask in the Picnic Hamper. Just take your pick of Realtree or MossyOak and throw it into the basket above.

http://www.camo4u.com/images/200951s.jpg

Gun Dog
09-05-2013, 10:27 PM
Both my Dodge pickup (5L, auto) and friend's Jeep TJ (4L, auto) got about 20L/100km (14mpg) cruising around FSRs. My Samurai (1.4L, manual) got 9L/100km (31mpg) city, highway, and everything else. The little Samurai or Tracker/Sidekick/Vitara with a standard are hard to beat for fuel economy and getting into places you shouldn't. Plus they're light enough that you can simply flat tow them. I'm tempted to ditch my quad (which is no better than my truck) and get an old Tracker which also has a heater.

David
09-06-2013, 09:51 AM
I believe that model has the 4XMotion system:

4XMotion is the LSD (limited slip differential) option. from your quote:

As an option, a rear differential with transverse lock and 100 percent locking effect can be ordered.

That's the locking differential (axle) option - which by my reading is still an option even on the 4XMotion models. The basic difference between 4wd and Awd is whether or not the centre differential locks.

Limited Slip was wonderfully defined by Subaru as "transfering power from the wheels that slip to the wheels that grip" unfortunately what if both wheels are slipping (as is the case in mud). For that you want lockers where the differential in the axle is locked and both wheels constantly turn at the same speed.

It's always a trade-off... LSDs are better on ice, and an un-skilled driver can really get into trouble with lockers in those situations. If you want the best off-road performance in a new vehicle you are looking at something that locks both axles and the centre diff: Mercedes G-Wagons, Land Rover Defenders, and Jeep Rubicon editions. As mentioned, most manufacturers now offer a locking rear diff (Ford, Nissan, Toyota, VW, etc.)

Moe.JKU
09-06-2013, 09:59 AM

That's the locking differential (axle) option - which by my reading is still an option even on the 4XMotion models. The basic difference between 4wd and Awd is whether or not the centre differential locks.

Limited Slip was wonderfully defined by Subaru as "transfering power from the wheels that slip to the wheels that grip" unfortunately what if both wheels are slipping (as is the case in mud). For that you want lockers where the differential in the axle is locked and both wheels constantly turn at the same speed.

It's always a trade-off... LSDs are better on ice, and an un-skilled driver can really get into trouble with lockers in those situations. If you want the best off-road performance in a new vehicle you are looking at something that locks both axles and the centre diff: Mercedes G-Wagons, Land Rover Defenders, and Jeep Rubicon editions. As mentioned, most manufacturers now offer a locking rear diff (Ford, Nissan, Toyota, VW, etc.)
Good description there. And usually if your buying a new vehicle, ill say with mine anyways in 2 wheel drive lsd is still on as well as in 4hi. However there is a switch that locks the rear axle and then another that can lock both. So its not locked all the time, which is a nice feature for road use. However when climbing rocks, ledges, falling tree's and in mud the lockers help alot. As well as a full skid plated underbelly and rock rails to save you when you slide off a boulder. Also they have solid d44 axles something that, no other manufacturer has been able to do as well. They are all independent.
I think the only other 4x4 i would buy is a tracker. but then it wouldn't really look like a tracker anymore. where as my jeep is fairly stock just a little bigger tires, which no modifications were needed.

fuzzy
09-08-2013, 09:01 AM
Hate to break it to ya but the rubicons have a glorified dana30 in the front. You WILL start to lose reliability if you go to 37" tires. I would love to get a rubicon myself but would never go above a 33" tire.

warren

Legi0n
09-08-2013, 09:21 AM
Hate to break it to ya but the rubicons have a glorified dana30 in the front. You WILL start to lose reliability if you go to 37" tires. I would love to get a rubicon myself but would never go above a 33" tire.

warren

sorry to break it to you Warren, but you're wrong.
here's a comparison on the pinion gear on a 44 vs a 30.
http://members.shaw.ca/le_r0umain/Dana_44_vs_33_Pinion.jpg

09-08-2013, 09:31 AM

The 4XMotion has centre lock standard - and to that you can add the rear locker as an option.

The Touareg's engine power is transmitted to the wheels via the continuous 4XMOTION four-wheel drive. Different from thr 4MOTION vehicles, the Touareg with 4XMOTION provides driver controlled low-range gear and differential lock controls: "HIGH" for normal highway driving and "LOW" for cross-country and off-road driving. Also, the TOUAREG does not have a TORSEN or HALDEX differential. Instead, a planetary gearset in the transfer case serves as the differential between the fron and rear axles.

In off-road terrain, 4XMOTION provides commanding propulsion using the basic structure of the front and rear axle differentials. They are combined with a centre differential which is flanged onto the rear of the transfer gearbox. The centre differential can be locked using the control knob in the centre console. When the lock is engaged, an electric motor activates a multi-disc clutch which locks the planetary gear set, directing an equal amount of torque to the front and rear axles.
The centre differential lock is a standard feature. For serious off-roading, some models are available with a rear differential lock. Now up to 100% of the torque can be used by the one wheel that still has traction! The driver-controlled low-range gear is also a standard feature. When low-range is selected, the planetary gear reduces the final drive ratio to 2.7:1.

If so equipped, the Touareg can overcome an up-to 45° slope. On steep delining stretches (more than 20%), the automatic hill decent assist (HDA) is activated when the driver's foot is removed from the accellerator pedal at less than 20 km/h (12mph).

and (similarly):

4XMOTION is the electronically controlled permanent four-wheel drive system in the Touareg. The permanent four-wheel drive system is the basis for its extraordinary off-road capability. The Touareg features a lockable centre differential with a multi-plate clutch and low-range gear. In normal operation, power distribution between the front and rear axles is smoothly adjusted as a function of the amount of slip. In addition, the centre differential (http://en.volkswagen.com/en/innovation-and-technology/technical-glossary/zentraldifferenzial.html) can be locked to produce a fixed distribution ratio of the drive torque. The low-range gear ratio (2.69:1) for heavy-duty off-road driving can be selected electrically using the chassis control switch. This provides maximum drive force at low vehicle speeds and enables the Touareg to tackle gradients as steep as 100 percent (45°). If required, 4XMOTION can additionally be ordered with a rear-axle differential that produces a 100 percent locking effect between the rear wheels. The differential lock (100 percent) is activated manually at the driver’s command. The cross-axle lock is also automatically activated according to the situation encountered to improve traction and driving dynamics.

fuzzy
09-08-2013, 09:32 AM
It's the outers that are Dana 30:) I could still be wrong and I would happily own one regardless. In doing so it keeps the weakest link as one of the easiest to get to in case of a trail fix. Things could have changed with the JKs I will fully admit to not keeping current on Jeep and wheeling specs.

Warren

Pemby_mess
09-11-2013, 03:51 PM
6 years in my Mitsubishi pajero - I have a 91 with a 4cyl 2.5l turbo diesel (also comes with 2.8 for more power), it gets 25-30 mpg pretty consistently running 33" ATs, with no lift; unless im towing and then ill be at around 22 with 4000lbs on a 5000 capacity. That equates to about an 800km range with its stock 90l tank. Its rated as a 3/4 ton. It's city fuel mileage is generally a little better than hwy due to 5.29 gears with a MT.

It has a factory locking rear differential, and I've never been stuck for more than a few minutes. In four low, it crawls up anything to 30 degrees with high torque, and the high compression of the diesel means it quietly and slowly putts down the steepest tracks at about the speed of a slow walk without the brakes. It's the consumer platform of the most celebrated Dakar to Paris winner in history - 12 Championships. It's capabilities seem to truly shine in the snow for some reason.

It seats 7 and the rear seats fold into a bed for two comfortably for when you're getting an early start at the trailhead. I keep a safari rack on it that'll hold 400lbs of gear no problem (or a honkin mule deer?).

They are probably the most popular 4x4 in the world but unfortunately never made it to the north American consumer because apparently they like gas engines in their SUVs? I would say that it probably doesn't of the build quality nor reliability of Toyota but all in all it's greatly impressed me with economic ownership and superior reliability and performance to the domestic offerings.

One potential deal breaker is power - don't expect to be speeding around hwys in this. I top out at about 130 kmh on the flat but acceleration is alright for my current driving style. It wouldn't have been in my early twenties. You also need to install a pyrometer and watch the head if youre traveling up the Coq. Aluminum head with the high heat and compression of the diesel can be bad.

I imported mine from Japan but you can find them already here for 4-8000 - they usually have very low Kms on them.

Bistchen
09-11-2013, 05:44 PM
If you're gonna go Toyota Tacoma or 4runner............go 4 Cylinder only. Don't bother with their V6 shite. If you need real power go get a 1/2 or super duty.

I ran 33'' mudders on my 2.7 4 banger no problem.

Install a locker yourself. Toyota factory lockers are electric garbage, and will disengage once your over 5mph. Detroit lockers are great.

My 2 cents

Hodaka
09-11-2013, 08:46 PM
I think a finer definition of what kind of capability you need might help. Lots of people who want a 4x4 can get away just fine with a decent AWD setup with appropriate ground clearance where they go. I know I've run my Subarus into places people would not expect. On the other hand, I don't need to push through Alder forests either, so I don't take that into consideration. My hunting areas all have some sort of road for access (even if its covered in snow or deactivated), so I know I can generally get in and out with good tires, careful driving, and not pushing my luck. Plus, good mileage, reliable, 4 sets, good ground clearance, enough room to sleep inside if I want to, etc. If I'm after elk, though, I go in someone's truck.

Dmytro
09-19-2013, 11:42 PM

I would not trust a VW TDI for trips into wilderness or where there is a chance of freezing- too much unreliable technology inside starting with the HPFP.

mildcustom2
09-22-2013, 10:30 AM
My Unimog has gotten me in and out of all the places I have needed to get into

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj246/mildcustom2/00373f5320333596608ffb8a94bd50eb_zps24e245c7.jpg

09-22-2013, 10:36 AM
Yes, Unimogs rock.

ruger#1
09-22-2013, 10:44 AM
My Unimog has gotten me in and out of all the places I have needed to get into

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj246/mildcustom2/00373f5320333596608ffb8a94bd50eb_zps24e245c7.jpg
Come on you can do better then that Sylvester Road puddle.

mildcustom2
09-22-2013, 10:48 AM
Come on you can do better then that Sylvester Road puddle.

None that I have picture evidence of. The climb out of the hole was pretty good since they regraded the road in that spot.

I took it through Whipsaw once already and Hale Creek many times.

If you have tons of gear to carry and want the power of a Diesel a Unimog is the way to go. Just don't plan on getting anywhere fast, I top out at 95 km/hr.

ruger#1
09-22-2013, 10:53 AM
The Whipsaw is a fun trip. I used to have a CJ5 and roamed up in back of Sylvester before that road that you were on was even built. Spent a few hours stuck in mud holes up there. Now I wouldn't even go back there if I had an army tank. Another nice place to four wheel is up Suicide Creek. Lots of fun.

JeffR
09-22-2013, 01:37 PM
Anyone use one of those Kei Trucks, or mini trucks? 4x4, diesel, good on gas, small enough to get down any trail. They seem like a cheap version of a side by side UTV. I wonder how they would do offroad with some decent tires.

mildcustom2
09-22-2013, 01:43 PM
Anyone use one of those Kei Trucks, or mini trucks? 4x4, diesel, good on gas, small enough to get down any trail. They seem like a cheap version of a side by side UTV. I wonder how they would do offroad with some decent tires.

Have to find one that's been here a while as right hand stuff out of Japan isn't allowed to be brought into Canada anymore. Been that way for a year or two.

Captainkf
09-22-2013, 09:10 PM

Love it! I went through "cheap" used rangers last year (both went through trannys) then I got a mid 90's dodge that someone else put all the bucks into lifting, custom bumpers, winches, etc. and it has held up well after some money put into it. it doesn't get the milage of my old f350 with the 7.3 diesel but is wayyyy cheaper to fix. It's been a nice bush buggy but I do miss the size of the old rangers, they could squeeze down anything that would fit a quad which is most trails these days.

brotherjack
09-22-2013, 10:50 PM
Chevy Tracker/Suzuki Sidekick/Suziki Vitara (all the same truck), preferably a 96, 97, or 98 model. Even with big tires, they'll crank out 25mpg imperial off-road, 34mpg imperial on the highway (aka: 23ish mpg US off-road and 30mpg on-road in US gallons). Slap some 2 inch spacers over the coil springs (less than $100 worth of parts and about 4 hours labor you can do yourself), fit with 29 to 30 inch skinny tires (235/75R15 or 215x85R16 are my favs) of sufficiently aggressive tread (Kumho MT's or Good Year DuraTrac's are my personal prefs), and some skid-plates for good measure, and a locrite or similar (again, just a few hundred bucks). I have taken people who thought they knew something about off-roading into places that made them turn white as a ghost and nearly crap my passengers seat in such rigs (I'm on my 3rd one now). And to be honest, I'm not really an off-roader other than I like to get places that are off-road. The rig does all the work, I just point it where I wanna go. Those folks were just used to wheeling in much bigger and heavier trucks. :D

Oh, and they are cheap as dirt compared to most other vehicles, and plenty reliable - I've cleared 200k with all mine with nary any mechanical trouble that I didn't cause myself (note to self: when front cross-member hung on big rock, putting it in 4-lo and aggressive clutch use is a good way to have to replace said clutch, and break said crossmember). :D

Pemby_mess
09-23-2013, 12:33 AM
Have to find one that's been here a while as right hand stuff out of Japan isn't allowed to be brought into Canada anymore. Been that way for a year or two.

I can't imagine where you heard that from? There's plenty coming over daily.

SAAQ banned new registrations in Quebec a couple of years ago, but that's currently in dispute and the rest of the country is fine to import. City of Saskatoon even uses Pajeros as parking enforcement vehicles.

caddisguy
09-23-2013, 08:57 AM
IMHO the best rig for for trails next to a jacked up Tracker/Sidekick/Samurai--as brotherjack mentioned--is the original size two door Wrangler. Right now, a stock 2003 TJ dressed in 31's is my weapon of choice. Inside, two 189L roughneck rubbermaids, hockey bag and cooler with plenty of room left for gear and still see out the back. Outside is KargoMaster roof racks--never need to use them but I figure I could drive up on a slant and hang a deer off them. They are good for loads up to 500lbs. Also have a Highrock Slideaway rear pullout storage rack for another 200lbs. It's fine for most stuff in 2wd, but 4-lo gets up the mud-slick hills while 4-hi is great for steep gravel hills and tire popping terrain, as it decreases tire wear and blowouts 5-fold easy. Like the Samurai, these things will go through most ATV trails and let you get turned around in a 5-10 point turn when you decide enough is enough. I also like Tacomas, FJ Cruisers, jacked up 4Runner/Cherokee/Pathfinders/etc, but thinking of all the times I would have had to back down a mountain through rough terrain next to a cliff gives me the shivers.

http://stabs.org/dashcam01.jpg

caddisguy
09-23-2013, 09:09 AM
More Jeepin the ATV trails http://stabs.org/dashcam02.jpg

Bowzone_Mikey
09-23-2013, 09:56 AM
If I can find one I would jump on a Military surplus G-wagon ...
truely awesome machines

BigBanger
09-23-2013, 10:27 AM
I ditched the quad and picked up a 95 YJ. I put a small lift in it and made it into what suits me. It tows easy behind my truck and camper and is great off road.