todbartell
01-19-2007, 01:50 PM
who has any good wolf hunting stories they'd like to share? :D

Gateholio
01-19-2007, 02:03 PM
I shot a stump near a wolf once...:lol: :lol: :lol:

rocksteady
01-19-2007, 02:03 PM
Well once up on a time, there was this girl, who was trying to take a basket of food to her sick Gramma......

Ah crap, I betcha have heard this one before...:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry no pics of the ending though...

todbartell
01-19-2007, 02:37 PM
I dug up a few - this one from late Dec 2003

I headed west down an old logging road that seperates 2 woodlots. I walked 1/3 mile or so until I got to a field, where I used my Knight & Hale coyote howler to try and locate some yotes. After a few howls and no responses, other than a curious mulie doe, I headed further west. After another 1/2 mile or so, I set up overlooking a cleared area, 300 yards or so of open ground in front of me to view. I used my K&H Rodent Squeker, and called on and off for 10 minutes, waited another 5, then headed off, with no luck. After another 1/3 mile or so I found a not too bad spot to call, and as I rounded the bend, I spotted something 400 yards or more out, crossing the open field. I thought it might be a deer or a coyote, and looked through my binocs at it, where I then saw it was a either a big coyote or a wolf! So I quickly dropped my pack, got out my mouth diaphragm call out and set up my rifle on the shooting stix, cranking the scope to 9x.

I was pretty sure it was a wolf at this time. It was still 400 yards or so out, and now was trotting towards me. I let out a few squalls with my call, and it stopped and watched my direction for a minute or so, then began to slowly trot my way. It closed to 350 yards or so, then turned to trot into the bush. I was not going to let it just walk away, so I got up and side-stepped 10 yards or so to keep it in view for the moment. I was on the far side of a little rise in the field, and all it could probably see of me was my head (i was wearing my mesh camo facemask). It saw my head, stopped, then all of a sudden started bounding towards me, huge leaps, I could not believe it! It was about 250 yards out when it just turned off and ran into the bush. I called for another 5 or so minutes off and on, then went to go check where it ran into the bush. I was standing around where it left the field, and could not find it's tracks through all the deer and moose tracks already in the old snow. It was now 20 minutes or so since I last saw it. I turn around and see something in the field, I thought it was a coyote at first that had snuck in after hearing my calling. I look through the glass and see it was NOT a coyote, but it was the wolf, right out in the middle of the field!
It was on the other side of the hill, so I could just see it's top half of his chest and his head. Range is about 200 yards or so. The wolf had snuck around through the bush and gotten behind me, if I stayed where I was at first, it would of trotted out of the bush 50 yards from me!! I sit down, rifle ready in the stix, and all I can see is it's neck and head, and a little of the upper chest. I hold low on the neck and fire, and the wolf swaps ends and takes off straight away from me.

I run like as fast as I can to a top of a small rise, when I get there, I see the wolf standing 150 yards off, facing me straight on. I sit down, catch my breath for a second or 3, then hold on it's chest and fire. At the shot, the wolf spins around and round, biting itself, then catches it's footing and is off running away. I then proceed to fire 4 more times as it runs broadside/quartering away at ranges from 250-500 yards, the whole time cursing my stupidity on using Sierra MatchKing bullets once again... On shot #2 (300'ish broadside running) i managed to tumble it, but it was up and running again within seconds. It takes it about 40 seconds to 1 minute to go from 150 yards away to 500-600, where it dissapears into the bush. I go back to where I had dropped my pack, etc, then make my way to where I last saw the wolf. I gave it about 30 minutes or so, from when I last saw it to when I started after it. It had began to snow lightly, and I did not want to lose the trail. I found it's tracks leaving the field, and a couple drops of blood, not too much. I get on the trail, and am in the bush maybe 10 or 15 yards when I find a spot where the wolf had sat down in the snow. I look up and whoa , the wolf IS RIGHT THERE, 15 feet away, laying under a little spruce tree. I am a little suprised, and take 2 steps back. i am now thinking to myself, "are you alive" and side step a foot or 2, and it's eyes follow me. So now I am like "no more messing around", and I cranked it in the brain box. All is done now...

She’s about 80 lbs, 5’4” from nose to tip of tail. Gonna make a shoulder mount of her, go with my black one I got in 2000 while hunting caribou. I think shot #1 may of grazed the top of the hill and gone astray.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Pictures_870.jpg

todbartell
01-19-2007, 02:45 PM
and this one from last year -

headed to a spot I thought might be a good spot for a calling stand. I set my FX3 up 100 yards upwind of me, hit the remote, and started calling.

After 20 minutes on stand, nothing showing, I went silent and waited a bit more and then packed up the FX3 and headed a half KM to my next stand.

I set up with my back along a fencepost looking over a small field bordered on 2 sides by a brushy swamp, and the other 2 sides bush. The caller was 100 yards out in the field on a small rise. I started with a female invitation howl and then after a few minutes of silence I went to the snowshoe distress. Nothing but a mulie doe came out to investigate the noise.

I was winding down this stand after 15 minutes or so, and tried a few more howls, this time a male interrogation bark/howl, along with the rabbit being shredded by coyote sound. I switched to a fairly quiet rodent in distress sound to slow the pace down and wait for another 5 minutes before packing up and leaving. A few minutes after starting the rodent in distress I noticed something in the corner of my eye, 60 yards upwind along the field edge.

Wow that is one big coyote I thought. There he was, standing on the edge of the field looking towards my FX3. He began to trot out into the field heading for the caller when I tried to mute my remote, but didnt manage to shut it up. I was trying to make the damn thing stop so he would stop and offer me a standing shot! Well he stopped at 30 yards from the caller, and I got my rifle on him, set up rock solid in my Steady Stix. One quick glance through the scope made me think that it looked like a wolf, but the crack of the 223 and the whomp of the Ballistic Tip hitting canine snapped my train of thought. 75 yard shot, broadside, he starts into the death spin, biting at himself. Three of four spins and he was on the ground, a few kicks later and he was done for good.

I switched my caller on loud with the wounded coyote sound, but after a couple minutes nothing showed so I headed towards the fallen dog. As I got closer to it I could see it was indeed a wolf! The feet were a dead giveaway from 15 yards away.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Jan_19_06_007.jpg

Will
01-19-2007, 04:12 PM
I have NO WOLF stories to tell......:cry:
I have seen a few tracks once or twice though :)

johnes50
01-19-2007, 04:13 PM
I had a friend that was walking across a landing going towards the edge to have a looksee for deer.

A pack of wolves came at a full run up and over the edge of the landing running straight towards him. As they passed him they split, with half passing him on the left and the other half passing him on the right so close that one brushed his pants. They just kept on going.

He was carrying a rifle, but it happened so fast he never had time to do anything except watch. He thought it was kind of neat, but after thinking about it later, he was glad that one didn't give him a nip. John

Chuck
01-19-2007, 04:55 PM
Only one. Years ago in Quesnel (1969) I decided to go pot some grouse, so I headed up 97 till I came to a little puddle on the left side. I think it was called Hush Lake. Just past it was a road off to the right, so I parked near the highway and proceeded up the road on foot. It was evening time. I didn't get maybe 500' up the little road, when suddenly out of the bush maybe 150-200 feet, steps one, then another. The first one already was turned and heading back when the second one spotted me. I'd say the whole thing lasted maybe 5 seconds. When I got to the spot where they came out on to the road, I looked around in the bush and for tracks - absolutely nothing. The ground was hard and grassy on the sides - a grouse road. They were long gone.
I was going to tell about the girl in the red coat, but I was too slow. Come to think of it, this is a grouse hunting story, with a wolf encounter. Geeez!

Silent Wolf
01-19-2007, 05:07 PM
I am not one for writting stories but to date I have taken 2 both females:lol: First one in 2001 and the other in 2005. I seem to find them it is just getting the gun shouldered fast enough to nail them as they move like lighting. Every year hunting I run across one or more, not sure if it is the way i walk that bring them in to me?

The only wolf is a dead wolf8)

SW:lol: 8-)

mainland hunter
01-19-2007, 05:52 PM
seen one a couple years ago that i didnt shoot. We had a pack come right into camp last year. we were in the tent and heard them coming from a ways back and finally they were right outside. i stepped out with the gun just to see and couldnt see em but you could hear em growling which i thought was strange, the kind of growl like a dog gaurding a bone, it was pretty cool. My dad's buddy shot a male and female in gang ranch a few years ago as well that had seen him and split up coming towards him from each side. anyone heard of anything like that happening before, ive always thought they were real skittish.

Silent Wolf
01-19-2007, 05:56 PM
When a wolf is by it's self it would be skiddish, to when there is two or more they are hunting....... I know a guy my uncle hunts with that had over 12 of them circling him. All my uncle herd was the lever going off like mad, which had my uncle running back to where he last saw his buddy.

I have seen one black wolf I bet would be close to the 250lbs mark it was huge, at first I thought it was a bear cub, until I saw the legs then it was too late.

SW

hunter1947
01-19-2007, 06:07 PM
30 klm past the bucking horse river on the Alaska hi way there is a road on your left ,it is mile 178 ,we used to go into red fern lake ,this lake was 70 miles from the Alaska hi way. One morning when i was up a side hill hunting for moose ,i saw 4 bulls all together ,it was around the 15th of nov sometime back in the late 60ties. Anyway i came apound the 4 bulls and suddenly i caught a movement to my left ,it was a black wolf when i looked closer i saw 2 of them ,they were moving slowly to my left ,then i picked up on a nother 3 to my right ,they were a little further away then the other 2 were. Then i saw the big gray male above me he was coming down the hill with his hind end up and his front legs were tucked under by his elbow and he looked like he was sneaking in on me ,i yelled but he kept coming ,the others started closing in to wards me on each side ,i had enough of this game so i shot the big male ,he spun over back wards a few times and lay motionless dead,the others split and run away . What i think happened was that these wolfs were stalking the moose and i got in the way of there dinner so they then decided to investigate me. hunter 1947.

bigwhiteys
01-19-2007, 06:17 PM
I watched a pack of wolves swim the Toad river out of a supercub that was pretty cool. I've never personally shot one though.

I know one time my dad heard wolves howling out of camp one morning went to investigate and there were 44 wolves down on the river. They hurried down and ended up shooting and killing 5 bitches. This was in the 70's.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

todbartell
01-19-2007, 06:33 PM
:shock: 44, that has to be two, maybe three packs meeting up at the edges of their territory, fighting etc. Cant imagine a single pack being that large :-o

eastkoot
01-19-2007, 07:55 PM
I've shot 2, one in 100 mile that I caught in a cut block, the other here in Kootenays that came to an elk bugle trotting straight at me. Black, 7 foot nose to tip of tail.. We were out for a Xmas tree several years ago and I was walking in the bush and the wife and my golden retriever were on an old logging road. Wife yelled at me and when I came back out on the road she said a big german shepard walked up behind them and was trying to sneek up on the dog.. She called the dog and grabbed it by the collar and shooed the other big dog away.. No german shepards 20 miles from nowhere with feet like that..

tfl
01-19-2007, 09:19 PM
Wolf hunting stories hey. Heres one that happened a couple of years ago.
I was coming home after being in camp for a week and stopped at a spot down an old lease road. It was the end of oct. and with deer season starting on nov. 1st. I wanted to make sure my rifle was still shooting strait. I have shot at this spot before becuase there's a good bank for a back stop and its kind of out of the way.
The road goes strait down to an abandon well with another road cutting off to the right. I stopped the truck just before the hill down to the old well and setup a box with a target on it on the road to the right so I could shoot off the hood of the truck. I put 1 shell in and shot, it looked good but I though I should make it a 3 shot group. I stuffed 2 more in and fired another. the gun recoiled, and I was looking for the second shot but all I could see was fur through the scope. Man that really shook me up the dog ( I though ) had it's tail betwen it's legs and ears down like it had just gotten in shit and all I could think was it had to be a timber cruisers dog and that someone was going to step out of the trees any second. Well that feeling lasted for about 2 seconds it turned and started troting back the way it came, I cranked around in and swung on it and missed as it hit the trees. I grabbed 2 more rounds and walked down where it had came out 60 yds. away yep I missed. As I walked back to the truck I had to think was that a coyote or a small wolf, it had to be a wolf I thought. There was an inch of fresh snow on the ground I forgot to mention as well. I got back to the truck and started walking over to the hill to look down the long stait stretch and I spotted the wolf angleing out through the trees heading out to cross the road. I couldn't believe this, well I though no problem I'll swing on him and pop him as he crosses. He comes out I start to swing on him but he stops dead in the middle of the road, I shoot he jumps and limps back the way he came again, through the scope I see what looks like red blood on the road in the snow. I had only 1 shell left with me and thinking I had hit him I went to the truck for more shells and to give him some time to bleed out. Upon returning I found that the blood was only redish mud and I had shot low taking some hair off of his brisket. dissappointed I look up to see him at about 350yds back on the road running, I dropped down on one knee but couldn't hold steady enough.
After everything had settled down and I started wondering if that had really happened, I retraced the the tracks and found that there was 6 wolves down the hill 2 adults and 4 of last springs pups. they must have heard the first shot and scattered except for the one I had seen he had kept coming up the road seen the truck and though he would cut around it through the trees and ended up betwen me and my target.
I have shot a total of 5 wolves 3 on vancouver island and 2 up here in the north, You have to be quick and on the ball. I was neither that day, I still can't beleive it happened. It was prietty neat though.:)

hitch
01-19-2007, 09:37 PM
Out mooose hunting a few years ago, one of the guys in camp showed up after the evening hunt with an interesting story. He had just started to get close to a cow and calf, when they bolted into this swamp that he was bordering. Shortly thereafter he started to hear a wolf pack in the swamp. He figured the pack had taken down the calf or at least tried. We decided to have a look in the morning. Sending 2 guys in on each side of the swamp. All the sudden several shots ring out from the other side. One found it's mark for sure. I'm sitting on the side of this ridge looking down to the edge of the swamp and along come 3 wolves, hightailing my way. They stop about 150 yards out and look back toward the swamp and start howling. This allowed me plenty of time to take my pick. We had talked about trying to take out the Alfa male and female, if we were able to get on the pack. After the rest of the pack had scattered, they sat along the timber and howled for over an hour. We ended up only shooting 2 and never did find a moose kill. Sure was an exciting morning.:)

thatskindafunny
01-19-2007, 09:38 PM
Hmm, reminds me of a trip down the power line above Northy Lake several years ago. We had seen several wolf tracks on the power line with spoor to boot. I went one side while my hunting partner went the other way. Big blacktails for sure were on our mind. Well I had to get something off of my mind about 100 yards into the bush. Dropped my drawers and was doing my thing when I looked up and thought I saw the big blacktail. UH no. Here's a wolf coming along the game trail. With pants down I pick up my rifle and here comes another. I shoot and here come another running right at me. I give a little shuffle as good as one can with his pants down and shoot at another 20 feet from me. I put down my rifle and pull up my pants and low and behold another one. Hmm safety orientated for sure as the safety was on when I went to shoot him. Oh well, 2 wolves anyways. I think that was kinda funny don't you. Since then I have seen several wolves while mule deer hunting and just smile at them. Sure glad I don't shoot a gun with a big kick and fall over backwards.

Gateholio
01-20-2007, 12:32 PM
I was hunitng one morning, and whiel glassing, we observed 3 wolves running downa 3 point buck. Saw the whole thing, they ripped at it until it dropped and started to chow down while the buck was still kicking.

I kept watchign while my partner tried to slip in closer to get a shot, but by the time he circled the area (it was alorge alpine meadow) the wind must have shifted as the wolves suddenly perked up and departed.:lol:

Benthos
01-20-2007, 03:10 PM
i was working in the bush about 2-3 hours south of vanderhoof about 5 years ago. i was dropped off by a helicopter in a wetland to do some stream assessments. after the helicopter left, my partner and i started the stream survey's. about half an hour later, we were near the edge of the wetland (the wetland was circular with a diameter of maybe 100m) writing up some field notes, when all of the sudden i heard a crack. i instantly turned towards the bush, and out of nowhere lunges a big grey wolf. it came within about 3m of me, and then took off. honestly, i think i surprised it as much as it surprised me. anyways, i walked to the middle of the wetland, as this frieked me out a bit, and about 5 minutes later i saw the wolf, sitting on the side of the wetland between some cattails, just staring at me. about 10 minutes later the helicopter came and picked me and my partner up.

honestly it was a bit nerve racking. i was still young around 21, and didn't have any experience with wolves. i was unsure if there were more around, or just this solo alpha male. regardless, something i'll remember

tufferthandug
01-20-2007, 03:42 PM
With one in the bag this year, along with a missed wolf I have not had a chance to shoot one for about 2 years. I didn't take a picture of the one this year because of my 300 winny getting a little crazy on him.

This one was the leader of a pack up North. We were in our pup tent at 6:30 am, when they lit up over by our horses. By the time we got over, they were heading up the mountain. With a little running and spotting we got into a small meadow at the base. I had a small shooting lane but the 300 winny did it's job. One shot, Wal-Mart bullet, 200 yards, no mess. The skull is an 18 incher, but I just have to get my arse up to Berreth to score it.

I've shown this pic before but here it is... The rest of the pack of about 15 were pure black.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/tufferthandug/scan0002.jpg

Here's a picture of my friend behind the horse and wolf after it took both of us to lift it on there. The one I missed this year was just a tad smaller than this one.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/tufferthandug/wolf1.jpg

Will
01-20-2007, 04:12 PM
Dam that's a Nice Wolf Tuff 8-)

bigwhiteys
01-20-2007, 04:21 PM
Yes indeed, a very nice wolf... Nice country too!

Carl

brooksy
01-20-2007, 05:16 PM
havne't got a wolf yet, but two summers ago had a pretty cool encounter..i was in a little fenced in area between 3 fields we used as a watering area for cattle, i was walking over to check on something and noticed what i thought was a huge coyote about 200 yds away trying to feed off a recently dead heifer laying in the field, got my 22 mag off the tractor and put the scope on it (yotes shot on site!) turned out to be a nice big (i think) wolf (first i had ever seen), watched it for a while then tried to crawl on my belly through tthe field for a better look but he disappeared while i was crawling...later that afternoon saw him in the exact same spot and watched a big sow (she lived around there with 3 cubs) chase him off the heifer and start feeding herself! next time ill be prepared with my 270 in tow! hope to get out this winter and knock one down as i have heard there have been quite a few spotted up the valley

luckynuts
01-23-2007, 04:45 PM
Hunting moose in 2005 we had just finished up with my moose getting it hung and skinned back at camp when the wolves lit it up which also got two other packs going. I told my hunting buddies I would call them in and shoot one ( we had all three moose in camp and just started to celebrate) Yeah you can just imagine the bashing I took after that comment.

so I cranked 2 rounds into the chamber and headed off in their direction calling/howling every 75 yds or so. Getting into the thicker timber I seen a flash of black bolting away to my left I swung the gun around and picked a spot through the trees and let him have it. Ended up catching the all black wolf in the middle of the back which broke his spine and yes a very lucky shot. i let out a war cry that the boys could hear back at camp and then shit hit the fan, next thing I see is 5 wolves coming in straight at me 2 from my left and three from the right. I ended up taking a hip shot at the closest one on my left approx 40yds clean miss but I guess the bang changed their minds and they turned tail as well as i due to the fact that I hadn't brought anymore shells :roll: :redface: anyways I now have a nice rug that adornes my downstairs. Last spring I had a chance at an all black wolf with an all white face but I wasn't quick enough.

W.

BlacktailStalker
01-23-2007, 06:01 PM
F&*K !!! I just typed out a whole damn story and accidently hit the back button on my mouse. All gone.
Later I guess.

hunter1947
01-23-2007, 06:28 PM
F&*K !!! I just typed out a whole damn story and accidently hit the back button on my mouse. All gone.
Later I guess. HA HA HA ,i love it :lol: I'm not the only one that pulls a boner LOL, LOL. hunter 1947.

Husky7mm
01-23-2007, 09:23 PM
Dam that's a Nice Wolf Tuff 8-)
Yes and nice looking country too!:)
The only good wolf is a dead wolf!:twisted:

GoatGuy
01-23-2007, 09:45 PM
A couple of years ago my buddy and I had a couple clients at a fly in lake and one of the clients had killed a bull so we took the other fella out looking for another bull.

We paddled to the end of the lake and started hiking for a swamp about a mile back. We were cow calling along the way without any action. When we got to our spot we started calling; after the first sequence a wolf howled right away. We both looked at eachother and started howlin' back. A minute later we could see a lone wolf coming in from a 3-400 hundred yards on a dead run. When he got inside 100 yrds we stopped calling hoping he'd stop too, but he didn't. At about 40 yrds the client had to step out from behind the bush to stop 'em. The wolf came to a screeching halt and was about to turn when the hunter thundered 'em. It wasn't a big wolf but the hunter was happy and had quite a story. He got another shot at a big black male a couple days later but missed.

tfl
01-26-2007, 10:00 PM
I was coming home from camp (work) this afternoon came around a corner and saw a blackwolf running up the road out of a creek bottom. Stopped the truck pull out the 22-250, stuffed a shell in he stopped running and stood broad side. I set the cross hairs on him thought he was around 350yds so I gave him a little air between his back and the crosshairs and missed. (Dam thats twice in a row on wolves!) I walked over and it was a little over 250yds. I hadn't turned up my scope and on low power he didn't look that big. Could not have asked for an easier shot. Served up on a silver platter and I dropped the fork. UNREAL!:mad:

wjh131
01-27-2007, 09:53 AM
Well got one last year. A big female that measure 77" from tip of the nose to the tip of the tail and was 22" at the shoulder.
We were headed out to call some yotes on a small lake in Northern SK. We noticed something already out on the lake. There were 4 wolves bedded on the lake. We got a sneak on them and got within about 500 yds before they figured something was goin' on. We tried to call them closer but no avail. My buddy was having wolf problems stealing his calves so we decided we'd better start shootin'. All we did was scare them off. So upon our trip back to the truck we noticed movement in the woods along the lake we were walking on. Sure enough, there she was. We honkered down and just waited for her. This was about 1/2 hour after the shooting took place. She came within 40 yds of us. I put her in the cross-hairs and let fly. Hit her but she made a big circle in the woods before making one big jump in the air and then it was over.

Then about 2 weeks after, we were calling yotes on a high draw in the same area. We had 2 coyotes come in but couldn't get them stopped for the shot. We kept calling. All of a sudden the ravens went friggin crazy behind us. I peeked over the draw and in the woods there was a nice black wolf standing about 30 yds away. One look at me and he was gone.
I've had 3 packs answer back to my howls since the fur season opened this past fall but haven't had the luck of gettin' any in.

StoneChaser
01-27-2007, 10:40 AM
I was coming home from camp (work) this afternoon came around a corner and saw a blackwolf running up the road out of a creek bottom. Stopped the truck pull out the 22-250, stuffed a shell in he stopped running and stood broad side. I set the cross hairs on him thought he was around 350yds so I gave him a little air between his back and the crosshairs and missed. (Dam thats twice in a row on wolves!) I walked over and it was a little over 250yds. I hadn't turned up my scope and on low power he didn't look that big. Could not have asked for an easier shot. Served up on a silver platter and I dropped the fork. UNREAL!:mad:

NEVER hold off fur if ya' aren't 100% sure (of range)!

bruin
01-27-2007, 01:49 PM
It was my very first day of guiding and we weren't seeing any game by noon which was unusual, started getting pretty nervous. Topped out on a ridge and there was 2 wolves in the bottom of the valley napping. We did a 2 hour stalk and the hunter made a couple of good shots on the run and dropped them both. The male was almost pure white and the female was a typical white and grey. really cool experience. I can't seem to put the picks on this page but they are in the Gallery about 2 days ago.

todbartell
01-27-2007, 02:16 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Image0121.jpg

awesome pic

Chuck
01-28-2007, 06:06 PM
I set the cross hairs on him thought he was around 350yds so I gave him a little air between his back and the crosshairs and missed. (Dam thats twice in a row on wolves!) I walked over and it was a little over 250yds. I hadn't turned up my scope and on low power he didn't look that big. Could not have asked for an easier shot. Served up on a silver platter and I dropped the fork. UNREAL!:mad:

I can't like variable power scopes for just that reason. Same as a nice truck with All the power options -- Lots of stuff & lots of stuff to remember or go wrong - IMO.