PDA

View Full Version : best waders

holfeldian
09-02-2013, 08:10 PM
hey guys i'm looking at getting my first pair of chest waders... what is your favorite brand? I've been told its best to get waders and boots seperately, don't get the waders with the boots attached kind of thing... any thoughts?

adriaticum
09-02-2013, 08:18 PM
Sims are among the best. But this is if money is not an object. Depending on what kind of fishing you want to do I would suggest you get yourself a pair of hip waders first. I guarantee you 80 % of fishermen dont utilize the chest wader yet pay for them

SPEYMAN
09-02-2013, 08:24 PM
Dan Bailley are priced right.Chestwaders only require a rain jacket for rainwear.If you use for primarily hunting waterfowl,neoprene mid priced will do.

longstonec
09-02-2013, 09:01 PM
Buy chest waders. If you don't you will need them. If you buy one of the cheaper brands (angler, trophy xl etc) you will end up burning through your "savings" in aqua seal repairing all the holes. Its like most things outdoorsy. if you buy good quality it will last a long time. If you buy cheap. well... you will be buying some again soon. I prefer breathable waders as I do alot of hiking around in the course of a day. I also dont get cold even in the winter. depends on what your doing in a day whether you should get neoprene or breathable. I have been putting pretty heavy use into a pair of Bare breathables for about 12 years now. yes its had some patching. but not much. I also have a pair of cloud veil that bought on an online sale... they are nice for spring and summer because they are very light.. but they are like wearing tissue paper. a stick will rip them. try to spend in the 200-500$ range if you can afford it. and yes it is best to buy the ones without the boots attached -stockingfoot- and then you have lots of options for boots. Good luck! C

RINO
09-02-2013, 09:06 PM
Have a pair of Simms.. 17 years old now.. Kept and treated well.. A little dirty but no issues at all yet!!
Easy on and off.. My Bear waders haven't seen the light of day since the Simms showed up..
Nice to be able to sit in chest waders and know that your not getting wet around the bottom of your jacket!!

warnniklz
09-02-2013, 09:14 PM
what do you intend on using them for?

I'm assuming fishing...

Or are you using them for hunting?

Foxton Gundogs
09-02-2013, 10:21 PM
I have had mine for 5 years $119 from Canada Tire(not sure of the brand) neoprene camo with attatched boots. Not one oz. of problems in all that time and I hunt 98% 0f the water fowl season in them and am not easy on them. best bang for your buck IMO. Get 1 size to large and pit in insoles you wont have cold feet.

cdnshooter13
09-02-2013, 10:49 PM
Ive had the same pair of sea-tux 5mm chest waders for the past 18yrs now, not sure if they're even in buisiness anymore?? If youre gonna be water fowling or steelheading in the winter the 5mm sure is nice. Do not buy hippies you will regret it at some point.

longstonec
09-02-2013, 11:21 PM
Sea-tux are really good waders. Not sure if they are around anymore either!

russm
09-03-2013, 12:32 AM
I like my bear neoprenes they're older but still holding up awesome.

Moe.JKU
09-03-2013, 09:02 AM
For waterfowl neoprenes are nice because they are a little warmer don't need a bunch of under layers. If you rip them up your only down 100 bucks. For fishing i'm looking at some more breathable waders as i am usually hiking a lot and moving around and it gets hot.

Angus
09-03-2013, 09:10 AM
Since this is in "The Marsh" section, I'm assuming you're gonna use them for waterfowling. I dropped the cash on some Cabela's Supermags about four years ago and they are awesome. Heavily insulated boots, and all neoprene. Keeps you pretty toasty on those late season days in the marsh.

Other than my Wingmaster, it's the best money I've spent on gear.

My $0.02.

lilhoss
09-03-2013, 09:19 AM
http://www.seatux.ca/
Had a pair for years. As you said, get a pair of boots for rock walking, etc . I like the neoprene for warm when float tubing in the winter months or steel heading.

BRvalley
09-03-2013, 09:36 AM
for duck hunting I'd stay away from simms, they are too expensive to trash on and while they have strong legs (the G4's are 5 layered I think) the uppers from the groin up are thinner 3 layer.....for duck hunting which typically involves minimal moving around, compared to hiking a river, I'd always pick neoprene.......

one advantage of neoprene is if they do leak, once the water gets in the neoprene will still keep you warm, with breathables you're just cold and wet for the rest of the day.....i remember as a kid, i was designated to setup decoys for my grandpa and uncles..."but it's cold and they leak"...."then move faster boy, it'll warm up" hahahha

ALL waders will leak, just a question of how soon....I've been through a ton of waders in the past 20 years and IMO it's hard to beat cabelas or bare neoprene's but cabelas have hunting specific models, tough and a good warranty....for river fishing/hiking simms are king

bootfoot vs stocking foot is mostly personal preference, bootfoot tends to be warmer, but if the boot doesn't fit you well you get heel slippage when trudging through the sticky crap

09-03-2013, 09:56 AM
Simms are the best, but cost huge
Behr are a great inbetween...
Neopreanes, I thought Seatux went out of Business as well but they were awesome. If you are on a budget Neo's for the money tend to be better the cheap Breatheables.
And ya, If they are for duck hunting go cheap

goatdancer
09-03-2013, 09:57 PM
Seatux are awesome.