PDA

View Full Version : Finally saw a deer, first time using a call, and sunrise over the coq!

BuckNaked
09-02-2013, 03:16 PM
http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa406/phonedzero/image_zpsd22ef6d0.jpg (http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/phonedzero/media/image_zpsd22ef6d0.jpg.html)

Well ive made a couple of scouting trips in the past, but other than grouse and bear sign I aint seen diddly squat. But today was different. Picked out a spot up on the Coq that I ve been progresively moving towards with each scouting trip. Got up at 4am, filled my travel mug,the tank of my 2011 Ram 1500 and by 4:30 im getting on the TCH headed for the mountains. After the most relaxed drive up i find my exit and pull over to get my bearings and tend to the call of nature. I don my camoflague jacket for the first time and proceed to roll the window down and put the truck in gear and head up the winding FSR headed to 'the spot'.

After about an hour twisting ad turning, over hill and dale, I have found the spot I saw on Google Earth and park in a spot that gives me an unspoiled view of the entire hillside. I observe the wind and place myself in an advantageous position and get set up with my binos and bug spray. Now I should add here that for my 40th birthday last year my oldest son got me a set of deer calls. Ive played with them in the house, annoying the neighbour hood dogs, and my wife, but this time it was for real. I decided to go with a fawn distress call, and called 3 times with about 15 minutes between each call. I was doing softer bleats like a lost fawn. Then I heard footfalls in the bush, it was crazy, i was feeling them like it was an earthquake. I have never experienced anything like it. Then i thought, ok I got one biting, three more med loud bleats. I stop, listen...'whoosh, whoosh'. I just about shit my pants, he sounded huge and like he was just inside the timberline. Its about this time I realize I'm about 400 yards from my truck, no gun, and I think Ive called a friggen elk in on top of me.

I keep glassin looking for this huge beast to come thrashing though the woods towards me, when i look out from the binos i catch a glimpse of movement below me. There he is, a little 4 point WT! Tawny brown with a black tip on his tail, and looks to be all of about 250lbs soaked and wet. Its mid morning now and the winds are starting to swirl and change, he starts to walk off at an angle away from me towards on older grown in cut block. I give a quick soft bleat and stop him directly behind a tree where I have no view of him(facepalm)! Im pretty sure he's winded me as he keeps on moving away from me at a slow pace, never more than a walk. I watch him slip back into the bush and I take a few minutes to realize what just happened. Its pretty cool when you can watch, learn and then put into practice some of the tools most of you are used to using, and then see results. Honestly its one of the coolest things that has ever happened to me in the bush, just feeling his stomping so far from me, was incredible!

I cant wait for next Friday!

And as a sidenote saw a few Duskys on my way up. They'll make great appetizers!

olympia
09-02-2013, 03:24 PM
well it looks like all 15000 members on bchunting know where to go this fall lol, a deer has been spotted by the coq everyone, lets all head out on the same day

BuckNaked
09-02-2013, 03:29 PM
dammit...how bout i give you the co-ords so you can all steer clear? you know as a courtesy?:-D

ruger#1
09-02-2013, 03:44 PM
Becareful. Cats and wolves will come into a fawn bleat. I almost had a coyote run into me a couple years a go. I didn't have a chance to aim my rifle at it.

Jelvis
09-02-2013, 03:50 PM
Hey naked nice lil thread, you did pritty darn good, picture and story is very well done. The Exit number and name? lol, at least hahah j/j. from the cool Coq5.
But the lil four point whitetail, ain't going to be a small 250 pounds lol dry or soaken. Try 125 soaken weight live weight.
250 would be a full sized whitetail buck, fully clothed.
Other than that you did fantastic.
Jel .. More as the season goes by please, more photos?

BRrooster
09-02-2013, 03:59 PM
Great story! Good on ya. And it dont matter how big he was , them are prime steaks. Post when you whack him and Ill give you my marinade recipe!!!!

BuckNaked
09-02-2013, 04:06 PM
It was hard for me to gauge his size, but being a total rook i'll side with you! And next time I'll bring the good camera!

How many of you use calls? What kind? When will the bucks start responding to grunts?

ruger#1
09-02-2013, 04:08 PM
Mid Oct for Blacktails and mule deer. Nov for whitetails.

Whonnock Boy
09-02-2013, 04:41 PM
No gun, and you are doing fawn distress calls in bear territory? I have never done it, but have read here that many have, and when the bear decides to come, he doesn't fool around. Be careful!

Trophyslayer
09-02-2013, 04:55 PM
If you were around mine creek/ Briton creek and south. I would think it was a blacktailI have seen a few wt around Briton and more towards Merritt and Tulameen. So I may wrong what elevation did u see him and was his antler formation points off one main beam or did it fork?

BuckNaked
09-02-2013, 05:03 PM
Sorry Trophy but i'm gonna keep the details tight till i get a fair chance at him.

BuckNaked
09-02-2013, 05:10 PM
No gun, and you are doing fawn distress calls in bear territory? I have never done it, but have read here that many have, and when the bear decides to come, he doesn't fool around. Be careful!

I know, i was thinking i wasnt that far from the truck, and being bow season i didnt need the hassle(the 'its only bow season' reminder, finger wag) from COs if i happened to run across any. I figured it was easier just to leave it behind today. This mornings trip was more of a road/area scout, i'd never been up before so sometimes I just go to take notes and plan return trip with a more precise plan. But I think i'm just gonna pack everytime, dont need a kitty or wolf thinkin they're gonna turn the tables.

adriaticum
09-02-2013, 06:23 PM
Good show Bucknaked. I was up there on Saturday and didn't see any critters. I guess I was there during wrong time of the day.
Next time I will plan to spend the night up there.
Found some really cool spots to camp out.

Trophyslayer
09-02-2013, 06:39 PM
Sorry Trophy but i'm gonna keep the details tight till i get a fair chance at him.
You already told everyone you were at the top of the coq. Up there there are all three species of deer mulies whitetails and blacktails Judging by your older posts it seems like you are new to hunting. I am just trying to help you out you just might have seen a wt but there's very few up there there's more mulies and blacktails. I am questioning your species identification I was asking about antler formation and elevation because that could narrow things down. Some white tails will have a black tip ( I have yet to see one) and some blacktails will hold there tail up almost like a white tail in some cases. You wouldn't want to cut a whitetail tag on a blacktail if you we're checked by a CO they would most likely confiscate your animal and fine you. Good luck!

BuckNaked
09-02-2013, 09:14 PM
You already told everyone you were at the top of the coq. Up there there are all three species of deer mulies whitetails and blacktails Judging by your older posts it seems like you are new to hunting. I am just trying to help you out you just might have seen a wt but there's very few up there there's more mulies and blacktails. I am questioning your species identification I was asking about antler formation and elevation because that could narrow things down. Some white tails will have a black tip ( I have yet to see one) and some blacktails will hold there tail up almost like a white tail in some cases. You wouldn't want to cut a whitetail tag on a blacktail if you we're checked by a CO they would most likely confiscate your animal and fine you. Good luck!

Living in either Kamloops or Chilliwack for the past 40 years, I guarantee you no 2 people have the same location for the 'top of the coq'.:-D Granted I'm a new hunter but no stranger to species identification, or the importance of it. I appreciate your concern. If it had been 8 days from now no shot would be made till I was 100% sure. My biggest question at the time was if it had all the points i thought it had. There was no reason to chase him down today to find out.

albravo2
09-02-2013, 09:33 PM
Good luck and Godspeed. These next few days are going to go by slowly for all of us.