PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Hunter Looking for Mentor

Patient_Fisher
09-02-2013, 02:33 AM
Hi there, I last year got my hunting license but only made it out a few times due to work; I am still a greenhorn with no kills under my belt. I have had my personal interest spiked for Hunting Island Blacktail and To try my taste for Black Bear. I am also interested in tanning a Blackbear for a rug.

About Me:
I am 21(22 in Nov) and am 6'1 205lbs Pretty decent shape Id say. I have a workshop at my house in Victoria(which I think would be a Ideal place to hang the meat). I would want to be learning from a expierenced hunter. I am Currently In the navy and Looks as if I will be sailing till Mid October but after that I am wanting to take 2-3weeks off and If circumstances permit and I find the right partner, Id Love to spend all of it in the back country to fill my deep freeze this year. I own a F250 99 but am completely willing to go in your vehicle. I do not own a quad or a side by side but have been looking into it. I will be shooting with a sako 85 .308win with a Leupold VX6 scope mounted on it. As For other Personal Gear(clothing etc) I am unsure of what brands to buy and what I need exactly but am learning. I know out there are many wise, veteran hunters and I want nothing more than to learn about this fascinating art and to become the best I can at it. The only family that hunts is my father and he only just began last year with a small buck on his belt with tiny horns on him(which we refer to as spike haha). So i cant expect to have the father guiding me through this. I would like to be thought as a piece of clay ready for molding. I go out into the bush and recently went up to Bear Creek Reservoir and slept out there on my own in the rain. Im trying to build confidence and get as much time out there as my work and finances permit.

If You are interested in teaching a young man the ways of hunting and the respect, knowledge and skills of the outdoors I am your man.
I hope to hear from some of you.

Best of luck to everyone in this season's hunt

-Dylan

Quantafer
10-15-2013, 11:30 AM
Dylan,

Have you joined your local fish and game club? That's one of the first things I did when I began hunting a few years back. It's a great way to network with experienced hunters in your area and also get involved with conservation efforts.

Fella
10-15-2013, 11:43 AM
As far as clothing goes, if you want to drop some serious cash go with Sitka or Kuiu. If money is an issue, just look around for wool clothing as it keeps you warm and it dries quickly.