PDA

View Full Version : Best place to live in BC?

glennw89
09-01-2013, 09:16 PM
My wife and I are considering relocating from Ontario to British Columbia. We are both high school teachers in our late 30s and looking for a change.

Hunting is something I have been passionate about since childhood. I know that BC has some of the best hunting in the world and that is a significant draw for me.

We would be looking to live in an area with enough population to support schools (thus work for us), but love the "mountain vibe" and want to be close to our recreational pursuits.

I spent a lot of time in BC about a decade ago whitewater kayaking on the truly world class rivers of the province. I managed to survive my Class V boating days. I've visited other areas of the province as well (Vancouver, Vancouver Island, Okanagan, Golden, etc.).

My wife is not a hunter, but (like me) is passionate about cycling, climbing, skiing, kayaking, hiking, etc.

Any feedback offered would be appreciated.

.300WSMImpact!
09-01-2013, 09:20 PM
cranbrook, trail, kimberly, castelgar, roslin, fernie, elkford, golden, anything in that area would be just fine

604redneck
09-01-2013, 09:24 PM
I would definitely do the kootenays

Displaced Nova Scotian
09-01-2013, 09:25 PM
I will give a shout out for Vancouver Island and more specifically Nanaimo. I chose to move here two and a half years ago because of the draw to a location that supported my outdoor pursuits (scuba diving, quading and hunting). This town/city has everything you need for purchases with stores covering almost every aspect of your passions, a growing population (~90,000) which means work for the both of you and some of the best skiing just over an hour up the highway. I have accessed countless mountains directly behind Nanaimo that have ample opportunity for hiking and climbing and kayaking can be done almost anywhere along the coast of the Island and throughout the vast whitewater rivers we have up north of us (Puntledge river as an example).

I find 'Island time' is present here, when I step off the plane from work I notice everyone is much slower paced which is a huge bonus; yes, the ferry can be an inconvenience but living in paradise has to come with some cost.

I could talk all day about other benefits but that's just a quick highlight. If you have any questions about the area shoot me a message.

Best of luck finding a place!

ncurrie
09-01-2013, 09:28 PM
You can do all that in the okanagan! Unfortantely it's very hard to get a position as a teacher here:( the system is beyond flawed. You are better off going to the kootneys or up to Smithers area. Good luck!

squamishhunter
09-01-2013, 09:30 PM
The island sucks, no animals, crowded, don't go there!

pieter
09-01-2013, 09:35 PM
Have to agree with B.C. ferries to deal with there are a lot better places to live then this rock if not for my grandkids I would sell out and live in a wall tent rather then live here. Game is shot off gates are locked fishing is going down hill fast and the rain will give you webbed feet.

albravo2
09-01-2013, 09:35 PM
Squamish. But don't tell anyone else. I was going to close the door behind me when I got here but if you and your wife are cool, there's still a bit of room. It is the happiest place I've ever lived BY FAR and I've lived in more than a few places.

Not sure about the employment opportunities but it should definitely be at the top of your list.

/a

Surrey Boy
09-01-2013, 09:42 PM
I'd think you'd have an easier time getting hired in Prince George or Fort St. John. They've got rivers, parks, lakes, good hunting, and growing young populations - the highschool in John has a daycare too. Dawson Creek is a nice place, Chetwynd is rough.

Johnny G1
09-01-2013, 09:44 PM
Come to Clearwater and I will even sell you my house.

warnniklz
09-01-2013, 09:45 PM
I would definitely do the kootenays

times two.

Lillypuff
09-01-2013, 10:06 PM
Kootenays hands down

smeegle
09-01-2013, 10:07 PM
vancouver island is great but as for teaching wise I would not pursue Nanaimo. This is my hometown and I recently graduated with a teaching degree and my mother is a principal in the district. It is extremely hard to get on and you need at least 10 years to obtain an permanent full time contract, even then its who you know not what you know. I would suggest trying comox campbell river area.

Gateholio
09-01-2013, 10:10 PM
I would see what is available for jobs first to narrow it down. Lots of teachers looking for work in desirable places in BC. A friend took about 5 or more years as a sub and part time to get a permanent position here in Pemberton.

Riverwalker
09-01-2013, 10:17 PM
I would second Smithers. Not sure about job openings for teachers, but if I were to guess it would be optimistic. It has a decent ski hill, amazing fishing, and great hunting. I would be there in a heart beat but it is a little to remote for my wife. Luckily we both have good jobs on the island. I have heard good things about the kootenays but have never been myself. Good luck in your search. But what ever you do stay out of the cities!

squamishhunter
09-01-2013, 10:18 PM
vancouver island is great but as for teaching wise I would not pursue Nanaimo. This is my hometown and I recently graduated with a teaching degree and my mother is a principal in the district. It is extremely hard to get on and you need at least 10 years to obtain an permanent full time contract, even then its who you know not what you know. I would suggest trying comox campbell river area.

Or Victoria

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
09-01-2013, 10:22 PM
I would try peace area there is a lot of work around .....

moosinaround
09-01-2013, 10:27 PM
Do not move to Prince George!! There are too many affordable houses, and teaching positions are here in many of the newly built, to newly updated schools. The rivers and out lying areas to hunt in are plentiful, and sometimes I do not even see another hunter all day, YUCK!!! You like caving, forget coming to PG, the caves are in the McGregor Mnts, and it is way too ugly out in the rocky Mtn trench for ANYONE!!! A university??? Like WTF, why would you want to have affordable post secondary education in your community??!! A new cancer clinic, a NEW WHOLESALE SPORTS!!!! A "new" OLD Navy Gross!!! Stay away from PG, it stinks here, and if you live in the hart, you get 1 extra month of snow to snowshoe, or cross country ski on EEEWWW!! Moosin

digger dogger
09-01-2013, 10:30 PM
I'd think you'd have an easier time getting hired in Prince George or Fort St. John. They've got rivers, parks, lakes, good hunting, and growing young populations - the highschool in John has a daycare too. Dawson Creek is a nice place, Chetwynd is rough.

What he said, The hunting in the Peace Region, is second to none!
If my woman liked the cold, Ft St john, (area) is where I'd finish off my time..

rainman
09-01-2013, 10:36 PM
ive seen alot of bc and for me bar none the south eastern is the most beautiful with the most game

mooze
09-01-2013, 10:37 PM
Do not move to Prince George!! There are too many affordable houses, and teaching positions are here in many of the newly built, to newly updated schools. The rivers and out lying areas to hunt in are plentiful, and sometimes I do not even see another hunter all day, YUCK!!! You like caving, forget coming to PG, the caves are in the McGregor Mnts, and it is way too ugly out in the rocky Mtn trench for ANYONE!!! A university??? Like WTF, why would you want to have affordable post secondary education in your community??!! A new cancer clinic, a NEW WHOLESALE SPORTS!!!! A "new" OLD Navy Gross!!! Stay away from PG, it stinks here, and if you live in the hart, you get 1 extra month of snow to snowshoe, or cross country ski on EEEWWW!! Moosin

And the climbing REALLY sucks, but lo and behold the new climbing gym is nearly there!

REMINGTON JIM
09-02-2013, 12:03 AM

YES ! it does STINK there and it has the HIGHEST CRIME rate in the provice nearly - BUT other then those 2 pitfalls its a GREAT place to live ! :-D JMHO RJ

123.brewski
09-02-2013, 04:59 AM
I got a really nice house for sale in Kimberley for ya.

jtred
09-02-2013, 07:21 AM
We picked the Kootenays. Cranbrook has a good number of schools, with the options of Kimberley, Jaffre, Wasa lake also within driving distance if both of you can't find work in one town. Where we live there are a few schools and is more quiet then the bigger towns. The outdoor options are endless, for example yesterday we drove 55km, doorstep to trailhead (18km of it good to less good forestry service road) and hiked into the alpine. This was with our kids. We were at treeline. We were above snow patches. It took us a while to really get anywhere because the huckleberry patches are so thick everywhere. We had to make a rule concerning stopping to pick/size of patch, the berry patch had to be big enough for all four of us to pick or stopping was not allowed. It still took us forever to get anywhere. I packed the .22 for grouse as I was hoping to find a few blue grouse for my youth hunters, no luck while hiking. On the trip out we saw four rabbits(one in the pot) and three ruffed grouse, my girls each got one(their first) I shot the other. So the day included a great hike, so many huckleberries that we kind of got sick of them, three grouse, and a rabbit.
Pick somewhere in the Kootenays and you'll get everything you want plus the bonus of mild winters, beautiful springs(most times), long hot summers, long autumns, even longer hunting seasons, fresh unbelievable fruit, and views that are breathtaking.
Nakusp is incredible, but small and kind of isolated if you don't both get a job.

Darksith
09-02-2013, 08:03 AM
probably easier to name places to not move to than places that are great.

Lower mainland, vancouver island (although the north island is nice, but wet), prince george. Anywhere else is great. If you want to get a job teaching you need to go where others dont really want to it seems like. Most teachers complain they can't get a job because they aren't willing to go to the small out of the way communities. They have more to offer than 1 thinks IMO.

Rackem
09-02-2013, 08:23 AM
If I had a job there, I would live in the Kootenays. My kids live in Winlaw, and go to The Whole School.

I live in the Peace, because there is a lot of work here, and as a side benefit, there are amazing hunting opportunities.

I loved Prince George when I lived there, but the hunting here is a bit better. Chetwynd as a town has very little to offer, barely basics...

Wade
09-02-2013, 09:01 AM
Depends on what you want to pay for a house, lower main land, okanagan and kootneys you could be lookin at 400 000 roller range. And any town north of Williams lake you could pay 250 000 doller range

nature girl
09-02-2013, 09:10 AM
Well it comes to what kind of weather you and your wife want to be in. I live in Mission we get a little snow a year. The most you will get is maybe a foot a year a little more or less. You dont get the real cold. Houses are cheaper then living in say maple ridge but living up north is cheaper for houses. And here we get a few mosquitos as up north you will be getting alot more.
The best thing you and your wife should do is next year come out to BC for a month or so and travel around and put in some resumes and see what areas you both like.

Surrey Boy
09-02-2013, 09:25 AM
Just a question, what kind of students would you like to teach?

Eastridge
09-02-2013, 12:20 PM
I have lived in the Okanagan and on Vancouver Island. The two areas are very distinctively different especially in climate. If you can handle a bit of rain, you will be rewarded with lush green old growth forests. If you like hot desert like feeling then the okanagan may be better for you. Caution, cost of living is much higher in the Okanagan, and make sure you get a house with air conditioning, because it gets too hot to go outside sometimes and you won't last long without an air conditioner. As for outdoors, there are plenty of lakes and mountain desert trails and some alpine, the trails on the Island are much better, the island has better kayaking, camping, hiking, fishing areas. The hunting is not bad, but the deer are small. Best Black Bear hunting you will find is north of Campbell River near Gold River and Woss. Campbell River has some great fishing and is close to other great fishing areas. There are lots of schools in Campbell River SD72, not sure on how hard they are to get into as a teacher. The City is seeing some considerable growth recently, and home prices are still very reasonable. So, if you like hot desert dry Okanagan is your place, if you like old growth forests and the Pacific Ocean, then the Island is for you. Campbell River would be my choice, but Qualicum Beach and Parksville are very nice as well.

GoatGuy
09-02-2013, 12:22 PM
East Kootenay, Radium South to the border and anything east of there other than Cranbrook.

GoatGuy
09-02-2013, 12:48 PM
Penticton and Vernon are currently laying teachers off due to a lack of students. Only teachers getting jobs in Kelowna are french immersion and band. Currently a really tough place to get started.

glennw89
09-02-2013, 04:58 PM
My wife and I both have 10 years of full time contract experience, but if there are few teaching openings that hardly matters. We would consider other occupations as well, not wedded to the idea of teaching necessarily. It might be a nice change to not deal with teenagers (and their parents!) daily ...

Appreciate the feedback from everyone. Looks like the Eastern Kootenays offer the best combination of what we are looking for. Time will tell what unfolds.

Bobfl
09-02-2013, 05:19 PM
work money and profits with the lng plants, best outdoors around, kitimat, yr round salmon fishing, moose, deer, goat sheep. cheap realstate for now. In 2 yrs it will be high with the work boom happening

kootenay_jack
09-02-2013, 05:30 PM
B.C is an awesome place to live and play. However it is not a good place if you are a teacher. My wife is a teacher in the kootenay's and it is very hard to get a continuing contract. you will be luck if you get one in lest than two years.

gamehunter6o
09-02-2013, 07:31 PM
After touring around BC over 4 autumns I always liked Creston as a place to live.:idea::-Dhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creston,_British_Columbia

Amphibious
09-02-2013, 07:37 PM
And if you move to kelowna, you'll know all your neighbours already! All the people I meet that arn't from Alberta, are ontario transplants. Seriously though, Skip Kelowna its going down hill FAST. Jersey on the lake. Crime and EPIC douchebaggery abound.

North or south Okanagan areas still have a lot to offer. As others have said, I would look to the Kootenays, other then Calgary-West (Cranbrook). Ex-Girlfriend dragged me to Creston quite a bit. Pretty little town with spectacular hunting.

Savage Man
09-02-2013, 07:51 PM
NOOOOOOO Teaching jobs in the east kootenays!!!!!!!! Great place to live but finding work as teacher is tough!!!! Take it from someone who has a wife who is a high school teacher.

gamehunter6o
09-02-2013, 07:59 PM
NOOOOOOO Teaching jobs in the east kootenays!!!!!!!! Great place to live but finding work as teacher is tough!!!! Take it from someone who has a wife who is a high school teacher. Are you trying to tell us either East. Koots are hard to teach or just know it all.:lol:

Chuck Norris
09-02-2013, 08:57 PM
I'm surprised more hasn't been said about Kamloops. From what I've seen visiting there it is a growing town with a small town feel. Great hunting close to town, massive mule deer in clearwater and spences bridge, which are both just a short drive :mrgreen:. Lots of opportunities for outdoor enthusiasts. Close drive to Vancouver and the Okanagan. Not sure what the job availability situation is there but if I wasn't already tied down to the East Koots I'd be looking in that direction. (My brother has been a resident for 6 years now).

ActionJackson017
09-02-2013, 09:10 PM
Yeah.. I live in Burnaby and it's a pretty good community for the most part. I've lived in Kelowna and Creston too; spent 5 years living in the interior. For what it's worth, if I had to leave Vancouver and move back to the interior, my choice would be Kamloops.

Sitkaspruce
09-02-2013, 09:13 PM
I have lived in Victoria (Metchosin, but now it as all one big city), Fort St. James (Close to PG without any of the traffic or AH...and better hunting/fishing), Port McNeill (rain and wind are seasons up there, hunting is ok, close to Woss, fishing is unbelieveable for both ocean and steelhead, but long way from anything) and now in the Peace (expensive housing for what is offered and a lot of "younger" people with money to burn, but so far we like it)

If there was one place I could settle in to retire, it would be the West Koots, spent two years in Castlegar and have always wated to move back....Time will tell

Cheers

SS

GoatGuy
09-02-2013, 09:23 PM
And if you move to kelowna, you'll know all your neighbours already! All the people I meet that arn't from Alberta, are ontario transplants. Seriously though, Skip Kelowna its going down hill FAST. Jersey on the lake. Crime and EPIC douchebaggery abound.

North or south Okanagan areas still have a lot to offer. As others have said, I would look to the Kootenays, other then Calgary-West (Cranbrook). Ex-Girlfriend dragged me to Creston quite a bit. Pretty little town with spectacular hunting.

agreed, kelowna isn't what it was. Too many earings, tap-out shirts, barbed wire tatoos, white track pants and shoes and jacked-up f-350s.

imagine that agreeing with a rotary guy.

Blair
09-02-2013, 09:28 PM
You wouldn't go wrong if you moved to Rossland with those pursuits.

solo
09-02-2013, 09:46 PM
Awesome thread. Hope you keep us posted when you make a decision. I live in Abbotsford and enjoy climbing in all the coast mountains, and hunting and fishing abound within a few hours drive.

hare_assassin
09-02-2013, 10:09 PM
I'm surprised more hasn't been said about Kamloops. From what I've seen visiting there it is a growing town with a small town feel. Great hunting close to town, massive mule deer in clearwater and spences bridge, which are both just a short drive :mrgreen:. Lots of opportunities for outdoor enthusiasts. Close drive to Vancouver and the Okanagan. Not sure what the job availability situation is there but if I wasn't already tied down to the East Koots I'd be looking in that direction. (My brother has been a resident for 6 years now).

Shhhhh...!!!!

We don't wanna be Kelowna!!!

hare_assassin
09-02-2013, 10:11 PM
agreed, kelowna isn't what it was. Too many earings, tap-out shirts, barbed wire tatoos, white track pants and shoes and jacked-up f-350s.

imagine that agreeing with a rotary guy.

Not to mention all the red and white plates...

panhead
09-03-2013, 09:50 AM
B.C. is an awesome place to live, but don't forget it stands for BRING CASH.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

East Van … what Surrey people consider to be the Promised Land.

Bowzone_Mikey
09-03-2013, 10:08 AM
PG is fine ... but what are your credentials ... are you secondary or elementary teachers ... elementary seems easier to get a work in .. secondary not so much ... I would go to more outlying areas tho .. Tumbler Ridge would be high on my list given the stuff you listed on the original post

I would also look out on the north coast .. Prince Rupert , Kitimat, Terrace area

I have many friends that are teachers and TAs ... both highschool and elementary ... one HS teacher got her first contract this year after 5 years on the sub list (her specailty is science, Home ec and math) ... its really not what you know its who in many cases
a couple of elementary teachers I know .. Got hired right oafter they graduated university ... at least one I can think of specailized in troubled youth. Some locally others in outlying areas ... Reserve schools even

Singleshotneeded
09-03-2013, 10:24 AM
Kootenays would be my advice...

Ry151
09-03-2013, 12:11 PM
Smithers would be my choice if I could just pack up and leave.

Stéphane
09-03-2013, 03:11 PM
Hi Glen,

I'm also a teacher and quite frankly, you cannot go wrong in BC for the sports you do. Surrey is the biggest (growing) school district and although there isn't any hunting allowed, you are close to just about everything: sea, mountains, and hunting grounds.
I teach in Langley, which is the neighbour school district. Abbotsford is also an option as the price of housing is significantly cheaper. I used to live there and work in Langley.

As for hunting and fishing: BC is the best place on earth. Hunting season that last 3 to 4 months! While we both know that the hunting season back East is quite short.
I just finished a book called "North America's 28" and I think half of the species were found here in BC. What does that tell you?

Anyhow, if you need more info, just PM me your email.

Cheers!

Stéphane

Surrey Boy
09-03-2013, 03:31 PM
Stephane, good to see you posting here!

BC has something in season somewhere every time of the year, even if you have to go north. Furthermore, look into getting a trapping licence if you like predator hunting, the best kind for the ecosystem.

dino
09-03-2013, 05:42 PM
Kootenays hands down
x100 bar none, if you can get work the Koots is the place to be. Ps. the island is just a nice place to visit,thats it

rides bike to work
09-03-2013, 08:18 PM
I have traveled the province and still call chilliwack my home we have it all here world class salmon and steelhead river steps from home . Monster blacktails and black bears within 15 minutes. Within two hours there are open seasons for elk sheep mulies whities little further for goats. Never had a problem finding work in town within bike ride distance nor has my mom or sister who are both teachers. It's a growing town houses are cheapest in the valley cheaper than the interior as well. I only shoveled my driveway once last year but ski at world class ski hills every weekend. Mountain biking hiking climbing its all here. Lakes rivers alpine glaciers hot springs out at Harrison. And if you want to visit any of the other places this is a great hop off point .

09-03-2013, 08:45 PM
For "Mountain Vibe" and a reasonable population, plus whitewater, rivers, mountainbiking, excellent fishing plus close to good hunting, I'd take a look at Terrace. You are only an hour an a bit from the ocean, so salmon, halibut and ocean kayaking is really close. Real estate is also reasonable.

I would avoid the Lower Mainland like the plague. I lived there for over 20 years and leaving was like having a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. No more traffic jams, no paying to cross bridges, no rush hour during the weekend when trying to leave AND when getting home. Ridiculously over-priced real estate. The list goes on and on. I also lived on VI and the ferry gets old very, very fast. Not to mention all of the locked gates.

palmer
09-03-2013, 09:17 PM
my vote is Grand Forks or Christina Lake...great hunting...cheap housing and everything you want...but maybe I am baised..
lol

curt
09-03-2013, 09:18 PM
depends on what you want i've grown up in the fraser valley Im sick of the rain kamloops Okanagan area for me warm very little rain lots of lakes to fish game to hunt all the amenities of a big city not to mention its awesome wine country!!!

keithb7
09-03-2013, 09:19 PM
I grew up in Surrey. Moved to PG when I was 22. Lived in PG for 9 years. Moved to Kamloops 10 years ago. For me, Kamloops is it. I want to live the rest of my life here. Very central to a lot of places to go. 3.5 hrs to Vancouver, 2 hrs to Kelowna or Revelstoke, 1 hr to Vernon. Wicked ski hill right here. Amazing surrounding ski resorts like Mt Revelstoke, Big White, Silver Star. Summers are wicked hot and dry! We love the heat. Great water system here for boating, water skiing, etc. Lakes a plenty to fish, Shuswap 45 mins away. Outdoor activities are abundant. Great hiking, quading, dirt-biking, hunting, fishing, and more. 15-30 mins from town and you are on crown land to hunt and fish in almost every direction. I could go on about what I don't personally like at Prince George and Surrey, as I lived there. I won't bother. I do know from my own experience and preference, Kamloops is awesome! I have travelled BC a ton and spent time in many communities including Ft Nelson to Prince Rupert, Terrace, Smithers, Ft St John, Tumbler Ridge, McBride, Quesnel, Lillooet, 100M House, Nanaimo, Campbell River, Lower Mainland, Okanagan, Cranbrook, Sparwood, Fernie, Slocan, Revelstoke, Princeton, Squamish. They are all great areas and have their own strengths. I love them all, but to live? I choose Kamloops.

Grizz59
09-03-2013, 09:25 PM
Do not think you could go wrong if you settled here in Revelstoke. Just built new highschool and new K to 7 school.Great white water kayaking,mountain biking,hiking, backcountry skiing and our ski hill offers some of the best resort skiing in the province.Well worth a look for the two of you.

Chopper
09-03-2013, 10:04 PM
That's a tough question ... any where on Van Isl or the lower half of the province. Look for a place that has the activity's and population that you want and move there. I personally like the ocean and all it has to offer. I would try and stay with in a couple hours of Vancouver ... It has turned into one of the most beautiful citys on the planet in the past 10 years. Good luck with your move ! your gonna Love it here !

ianwuzhere
09-03-2013, 10:08 PM
Prince George starting this friday hands down the best place!!
Wholesale Sports is opening :)

XPEIer
09-04-2013, 01:56 AM
I would vote North Okanagan, Vernon or Armstrong.... International airport 1/2 hour away, large lakes, ski hill, mtn bike trails, white tails to the east, mulies to the west, climbing in Cougar Canyon, wineries, golf, backcountry parks in the Monashees, etc. etc.

downside, cost of living, grey skies for a few months in the winter.

xpeier

GoatGuy
09-04-2013, 08:17 AM
Do not think you could go wrong if you settled here in Revelstoke. Just built new highschool and new K to 7 school.Great white water kayaking,mountain biking,hiking, backcountry skiing and our ski hill offers some of the best resort skiing in the province.Well worth a look for the two of you.
You mean besides the fact rain is the weather forcast?

Gunner
09-04-2013, 08:43 AM
Another vote for the North Okanagan.I miss Coast waterfowling and steelheading,but no one place has everything.I've been here 14 years,the only other area I'd consider is Sheridan/Bridge Lake. Gunner

hare_assassin
09-04-2013, 09:07 AM
I grew up in Surrey. Moved to PG when I was 22. Lived in PG for 9 years. Moved to Kamloops 10 years ago. For me, Kamloops is it. I want to live the rest of my life here. Very central to a lot of places to go. 3.5 hrs to Vancouver, 2 hrs to Kelowna or Revelstoke, 1 hr to Vernon. Wicked ski hill right here. Amazing surrounding ski resorts like Mt Revelstoke, Big White, Silver Star. Summers are wicked hot and dry! We love the heat. Great water system here for boating, water skiing, etc. Lakes a plenty to fish, Shuswap 45 mins away. Outdoor activities are abundant. Great hiking, quading, dirt-biking, hunting, fishing, and more. 15-30 mins from town and you are on crown land to hunt and fish in almost every direction. I could go on about what I don't personally like at Prince George and Surrey, as I lived there. I won't bother. I do know from my own experience and preference, Kamloops is awesome! I have travelled BC a ton and spent time in many communities including Ft Nelson to Prince Rupert, Terrace, Smithers, Ft St John, Tumbler Ridge, McBride, Quesnel, Lillooet, 100M House, Nanaimo, Campbell River, Lower Mainland, Okanagan, Cranbrook, Sparwood, Fernie, Slocan, Revelstoke, Princeton, Squamish. They are all great areas and have their own strengths. I love them all, but to live? I choose Kamloops.

Keith, you've been here long enough that you should know by now - the first rule about living in Kamloops is "don't talk about Kamloops". When I first moved here I couldn't shut up about it. Now I realize that the less we all talk about it, the longer it will last. Let's keep flying under the radar as long as we can!

(Hint: Kelowna used to be a MUCH nicer place)

When Kamloops gets too big and the douchebags move in, I'll be off to Bridge Lake/Interlakes for retirement...

Sofa King
09-04-2013, 09:15 AM
the very last place on the list, or close to it, should be Kelowna.
I moved there in 2000 and finally got out in 2011.
I can't believe I lasted that long.

I spent the whole 90's decade in Kamloops.
it's miles and miles more desirable, then and now.

the island, not a chance.
sure, it's beautiful, during the dry days.
but it's getting busier every day, and dealing with the ferries just plain sucks.

can't go wrong with the kootenays.

but probably the best place in bc, although a little remote and too cold for me these days, is atlin.

Moe.JKU
09-04-2013, 09:24 AM
I was looking at this same question and have 3 places on my mind. I'm saving up to get the hell out of dodge here soon. In order Kamloops, West Kootenays, or port alberni. Pretty much when the savings are their, the best job offer and house i can get i go.

smeegle
09-04-2013, 10:21 AM
if you live on the island you never really leave that much because you have no reason to leave, price you pay for living on the island. I lived in kamloops for a year and hated it granted it is very outdoorsy and active I can stand the 35-40 degree heat in the summer!

hare_assassin
09-04-2013, 10:44 AM
I lived in kamloops for a year and hated it granted it is very outdoorsy and active I can stand the 35-40 degree heat in the summer!

37c @ 14% humidity is a walk in the park compared to 30c @ 80% !!! Stay in the shade and you've got it made. We don't even have A/C !!!

Chopper
09-04-2013, 10:44 AM
the very last place on the list, or close to it, should be Kelowna.
I moved there in 2000 and finally got out in 2011.
I can't believe I lasted that long.

I spent the whole 90's decade in Kamloops.
it's miles and miles more desirable, then and now.

the island, not a chance.
sure, it's beautiful, during the dry days.
but it's getting busier every day, and dealing with the ferries just plain sucks.

can't go wrong with the kootenays.

but probably the best place in bc, although a little remote and too cold for me these days, is atlin.There are lots of other convenient ways to get off the rock than the ferrys ... Lots of airports and shced float plains " 30min hop " there are international airports in Comox and Victoria. No one on the island is more than an hour away from an international airport unless you are north of Campbell river ... An no one is telling the OP to move up there lol

salmomulie
09-04-2013, 11:00 AM
West Kootenays by far the best, don't have bitter cold winters, lots of recreation opportunities and a laid back pace to life. There are lots of great communities: Creston, Salmo, Trail, Casltegar and Nelson to list just a few.

HarryToolips
09-04-2013, 01:09 PM
Move to Nelson my mom in law has got a townhouse to sell ya, PM me if interested..and it's a awesome town, if you can get a job there..stay away from Kelowna area, too many chotches..

keithb7
09-04-2013, 08:48 PM
Keith, you've been here long enough that you should know by now - the first rule about living in Kamloops is "don't talk about Kamloops". When I first moved here I couldn't shut up about it. Now I realize that the less we all talk about it, the longer it will last. Let's keep flying under the radar as long as we can!

Naw, too many mines in the area. Too many good paying jobs in an industry that many hate. It'll never be Key-low-na. The white/red/blue plates got that place figured out. I forgot to mention there is a stinky pulp mill here and a good sized stack too. Couple that with the changing weather patterns and dust from all the mines, we're gonna be a blue collar town for a long time. Just so happens to be placed in the best climate in Canada!

Opinionated Ol Phart
09-05-2013, 08:11 AM

No-- the Comox valley is full. Nothing to see here---- Move along!!! :mrgreen:

hare_assassin
09-05-2013, 08:21 AM
Naw, too many mines in the area. Too many good paying jobs in an industry that many hate. It'll never be Key-low-na. The white/red/blue plates got that place figured out. I forgot to mention there is a stinky pulp mill here and a good sized stack too. Couple that with the changing weather patterns and dust from all the mines, we're gonna be a blue collar town for a long time. Just so happens to be placed in the best climate in Canada!

Much better.

;)

CT.45
09-05-2013, 11:19 AM
Look hard at Kamloops. Great weather, you can grow fruit in your own yard. Decent sized city but still a small town feel, unlike Kelowna. Centrally located. Great access to the outdoor pursuits... I've lived in 11 different cities and towns from the Yukon to Vancouver to Regina and seems like every point in-between. Kamloops has been my favorite by far.

Chuck Norris
09-05-2013, 11:23 AM

Never mind if they go ahead with the proposed Ajax Mine knocking on Kamloops door. That will keep many people from moving there (unless you want job).

sawmill
09-05-2013, 11:46 AM
Kamloops is too hot and ain`t got enough trees.Kelowna is just an overpopulated joke.West Koots is nice but the bush is harder to hunt and there is a lot of greenies there.Kimberley sucks worst though,don`t come here.

Buckman
09-05-2013, 12:44 PM
kOOTENAYS hands down!

hare_assassin
09-05-2013, 12:54 PM
Never mind if they go ahead with the proposed Ajax Mine knocking on Kamloops door. That will keep many people from moving there (unless you want job).

Well, there is a silver lining in every storm cloud, then.

sawmill
09-05-2013, 02:21 PM
kOOTENAYS hands down!

Way to keep a secret.

bigben
09-07-2013, 07:25 PM
Yahk bc Jaffary bc Nelway bc skookumchuck Canal flats

Hemi
09-08-2013, 08:05 AM
QUOTE=nature girl;1375765]Well it comes to what kind of weather you and your wife want to be in. I live in Mission we get a little snow a year. The most you will get is maybe a foot a year a little more or less. You dont get the real cold. Houses are cheaper then living in say maple ridge but living up north is cheaper for houses. And here we get a few mosquitos as up north you will be getting alot more.
The best thing you and your wife should do is next year come out to BC for a month or so and travel around and put in some resumes and see what areas you both like.[/QUOTE]

They are from ontario mosquitoes are more dominant there.they work in teams

SeaScene
10-17-2013, 10:20 AM
"Call someplace paradise, kiss it goodbye" ... says it all for Comox. Traffic congestion, box stores, malls, bought off council by developers.. usual infestation of money never sleeps. Try the east coast ...

Sofa King
10-17-2013, 10:35 AM
There are lots of other convenient ways to get off the rock than the ferrys ... Lots of airports and shced float plains " 30min hop " there are international airports in Comox and Victoria. No one on the island is more than an hour away from an international airport unless you are north of Campbell river ... An no one is telling the OP to move up there lol

but the north part of the island is the nicest, aside from long beach, but that's gotten too commercial.
I spent a couple weeks at the top end this summer, and drove to every town there is to see.
coal harbour is fantastic and almost all the houses were for sale.
not sure why?
telegraph cove is as nice as it gets.

hickman
10-18-2013, 08:33 AM
Squamish! Sounds like you are into lots of other outdoor activities. Find another place that has the ocean and mountains at the same time.

Surrey Boy
10-18-2013, 07:27 PM
Anywhere on the coast?

pro 111
10-18-2013, 08:07 PM
Haida Gwaii

Surrey Boy
10-18-2013, 08:11 PM
Haida Gwaii

You mean the Queen Charlottes?

finngun
10-18-2013, 09:06 PM
Kamloops is too hot and ain`t got enough trees.Kelowna is just an overpopulated joke.West Koots is nice but the bush is harder to hunt and there is a lot of greenies there.Kimberley sucks worst though,don`t come here.

try Blind Bay...beautiful:mrgreen:...Actually we dont wanna to many people here..

Sleep Robber
10-18-2013, 09:45 PM
Pemberton's nice, really good chance of seeing a Samsquanch up there. Only downfall is there used to be a guy who ran around town in a tutu all the time.:mrgreen:

TexasWalker
10-18-2013, 10:38 PM

No I think he meant Haida Gwaii.

The islands were populated by the Haida people long before anyone else set foot there.

Sofa King
10-18-2013, 10:46 PM
No I think he meant Haida Gwaii.

The islands were populated by the Haida people long before anyone else set foot there.

who cares who inhabited them.
they are the queen charlotte islands.
but these days our pussy government feels guilty and wants to rename everything, first nations, haida gwaii, etc.
how long before it's not British Columbia anymore?

TexasWalker
10-18-2013, 11:02 PM
but these days our pussy government feels guilty and wants to rename everything, first nations, haida gwaii, etc.

Your ignorance is deafening.

lunatic
10-19-2013, 07:32 AM
Tumbler Ridge. World class hiking right at your doorstep, unbelievable hunting opportunities, world class snowmobiling in the winter, jetboating on the river 3 minutes from town, etc, etc. It's relatively remote (a little over an hour from a bigger community), but if you love outdoor recreation it's the place to be. Lots of work in the Peace Country and more coming with new mines opening in the next year or two. Check it out!

deer nut
10-19-2013, 08:02 AM
Smithers. Mountains, rivers, wildlife, and all the outdoor recreation you can handle. Sorry I ever left.

dino
10-19-2013, 08:05 AM

x1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000

REMINGTON JIM
10-19-2013, 08:33 AM

I agree with Duallie this time ! :wink: RJ

Cookie1965
10-19-2013, 08:35 AM

Always nice to read someone else write how I think

Sleep Robber
10-19-2013, 09:35 AM
Commercial fished around them for over 30 years, hunted on them many a times as well........even though they are now confirmed to be called Haida Gwaii and are listed as that on the newer charts, maps ,etc etc, they'll always be the "Charlottes" to me, and damn near everyone else I know too.

fuzzybiscuit
03-20-2016, 06:53 PM
Here's another vote for Creston.

Roe
03-20-2016, 09:16 PM
HOPE! yep "HOPE" the undiscovered jewel. Yeah I know, drove through it over a hundred times but one day I toured it.

ACE
03-20-2016, 09:36 PM
'HOPE' the undiscovered jewel. Yeah I know, drove through it over a hundred times but one day I toured it.

Often wondered if John Rambo was pissed-off with the rip-off fuel prices in Hope. He blew up that gas station to make his point ....

Dougielightning
03-20-2016, 09:39 PM
Cherryville bc plain and simple no votes needed

Iron Glove
03-20-2016, 09:42 PM
HOPE! yep "HOPE" the undiscovered jewel. Yeah I know, drove through it over a hundred times but one day I toured it.

Well, about 2 1/2 years ago we sold the Vancouver "mansion" and retired to Hope.
Love it.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
03-20-2016, 09:54 PM
cranbrook, trail, kimberly, castelgar, roslin, fernie, elkford, golden, anything in that area would be just fine

The hunting here sucks .. dont take my word for it . come find out for yourself . i will be hunting up north or in Castlegar.

ACB
03-20-2016, 11:32 PM
Ya 7 months of winter, 5 months of piss pour tobogganing and does the wind ever stop? " Oh we get 4 seasons" Really only three, winter, mosquito then black fly! Tell the truth.

ACB
03-20-2016, 11:41 PM
I'm not going to tell you the best place to live because we already have too many people here now! But good luck in finding your dream place in beautiful B.C.. The best thing to do is to travel around the four corner's of the province and find the best place for you. Good Luck.

barry1974w
03-20-2016, 11:42 PM
If you're really adventurous you could try getting a job at some of the private First Nations schools. Generally better pay than the public system, but also more challenging. My sister is a teacher, she taught at a First Nations school for several years, it was very challenging for her at times, but extremely rewarding at other times.
Good luck, hope you come out.

srupp
03-21-2016, 12:14 AM
Hmmm here is a vote for anywhere BUT williams swamp...or places along hwy 20..my..02
Steven

New Bow Hunter
03-21-2016, 07:36 AM
I have lived in several locations around BC. You are young, ambitious and have your health. Go North young man or the Kootenays.
Lower mainland, south Vancouver Island and the Okanogan property prices are very high.

reach
03-21-2016, 12:39 PM
2 1/2 year old thread. I think they have probably already decided.

pieter
03-21-2016, 01:19 PM
Not Fort St John for sure

HarryToolips
03-21-2016, 02:35 PM
Cherryville bc plain and simple no votes needed

Cherryville is awesome, the people of Angel Falls and Edgewood must refer to it as the 'big city' lol....

barry1974w
03-21-2016, 03:17 PM
2 1/2 year old thread. I think they have probably already decided.

S**T, never noticed that...... You're probably right ;)

Mikey Rafiki
03-21-2016, 03:26 PM
I think the thread is still valid, as there are probably a few others who are looking to move...

My recommendation.... anywhere outside of City limits, backing onto crown land, with at least 3 big game species within walking distance.

barry1974w
03-21-2016, 03:42 PM
I think the thread is still valid, as there are probably a few others who are looking to move...

My recommendation.... anywhere outside of City limits, backing onto crown land, with at least 3 big game species within walking distance.

ha, you just described my place. But it's not for sale.....

Iron Glove
03-21-2016, 04:04 PM

Sounds just like our Tulameen cabin. :-)
At our Hope house, we do have Crown Land behind us and there are Cougars and Bob Cats there. Do druggies riding mountain bikes count as "big game"? If so, then we have 3.

okas
03-21-2016, 05:13 PM
"Call someplace paradise, kiss it goodbye" ... says it all for Comox. Traffic congestion, box stores, malls, bought off council by developers.. usual infestation of money never sleeps. Try the east coast ...
i am laughing out load on that one........ YES THIS IS A BOUGHT OFF COUNCIL ... the FIRE CHIEF ,RCMP are all in the same bed here .. the ex RCMP in the regional just took a transfer to some other town ... As;) yes his past caught up to him .... and the ex pigeons from the base take all the kids jobs when they retire here.

okas
03-21-2016, 05:22 PM
yes:twisted: you are right on that one .... care full as i got band for talking about my brothers here

SPEYMAN
03-21-2016, 05:39 PM
It is said that Courtenay/Comox is dependent economically on three sectors. 1/3 are local people from the area, 1/3 are retired military personnel and the other 1/3 are military. Great place to move to if your in the military.

okas
03-21-2016, 05:48 PM
well it is a funny place for sure ?? between here Creston and the Peace River i can manage dealing with it as winter time .

nelsonob1
03-21-2016, 06:46 PM
NELSON voted best small town in BC.

kgs
03-21-2016, 07:05 PM

Absolutely agree STAY AWAY !!!

riflebuilder
03-22-2016, 08:17 AM
Kootenays is the place to be

XMD70
03-22-2016, 10:15 AM
BC Liberal Government is very open about its wish to destroy the public education system. Be prepared to work in a setting where teachers are treated with disdain.......and expect a 30% reduction from the salary you received in Ontario.

okas
03-22-2016, 10:48 AM
one good thing as camping on the west coast north island ... as no drive buys just peace and quite :) but bring the big tarp for sure lots of fish even with out the boat . just plain simple

Daka
03-22-2016, 04:31 PM
I dont know about teacher position opportunity but regarding the place and towns,
wherever you move from Ontario to BC you wont regret...BC is beautifull,Ontario,not so much...