PDA

View Full Version : Hunting store in Abbotsford

NaStY
09-01-2013, 12:16 PM
Well it's that time of year to top up the hunting licences in the house hold. Went to our local hunting shop to get moose tags and mule deer tags and an special area licence and after filling out all the necessary info I was told I couldn't pay with credit or debit.

Just when I thought things may have turned around for this place, now it's the last place I will go. Now I know they don't make much off fishing and hunting licences. But it's the things you buy because of the licences that makes you spend money in the store. I have never heard of such crap in all my years of buying them.

I am now going to drive where ever it takes if I need some thing. Even if its a small pack of hooks.

Good luck Hub Sports I wish continued success in the way you do business. You have lost all of mine and my family and friends now and future purchases.

ruger#1
09-01-2013, 12:21 PM
They lost mine a long time a go. That has to be the dumbest move they have done to date.

russm
09-01-2013, 12:22 PM
Damn that's lame, hubs usually pretty good, I was in there Friday and bought some stuff on my debit card :s, it did seem they had some new younger not so knowledgable staff in there. Someone was looking at an old 303 and whoever was helping had zero info for him. They were really helpful in trying to sell me a 400 dollar smoker though lol.

bruce0580
I have not had luck with this place for about 4 years now I don't know how they are still in buisness

chainsaw
I think all stores go buy those rules, at least the ones iv been to do.

abbyfireguy
09-01-2013, 12:41 PM
Used to practically live in Hub Sports for years when Roger Dornan owned it... Most excellent guy and he hunted and fished...The new owner gets very little of my business. High prices,staff that have poor local knowledge and an owner that has no civic spirit or pride compared to the former owner who always went above and beyond...

NaStY
09-01-2013, 12:45 PM
I think all stores go buy those rules, at least the ones iv been to do.

What other stores doesn't except credit cards unless they are making a profit off what you are buying ? All purchases should lead to more purchases in the end making profit. Unless you only sell one item then there is no sense in doing it at close to cost.

geno
09-01-2013, 12:48 PM
I know most stores wont take a credit card for hunting licenses because they make no money on hunting licenses and credit card company's charge retailers on every purchase.

ruger#1
09-01-2013, 12:50 PM
What about debit cards? Roger Isn't to far away and is happy Where he is. And I will leave it at that.

landphil
09-01-2013, 12:52 PM
I've run into that in different places, but usually if you pay a transaction fee or buy something then it's OK. Selling licences only costs the retailer money if they are paying for the transaction fees from the "proceeds" of the license sale. I've taken to buying licenses, tags, getting printed regs at the Service BC centre though,no hassle, always have stock so far, and no problem with electronic payment. Planning ahead far enough to work around the bankers hours is the only downside I've seen.

NaStY
09-01-2013, 01:13 PM
I would have been happy to buy something else if there pricing wasn't 10% over retail. I need Barnes bullets and there price was 64.99. Another store I shop in the price is 48.99.

Keta1969
09-01-2013, 01:14 PM
All stores I've dealt with for licenses are debit or cash, no credit cards. Can't believe they wouldn't take debit, not much cash out there anymore.

ruger#1
09-01-2013, 01:18 PM
I would have been happy to buy something else if there pricing wasn't 10% over retail. I need Barnes bullets and there price was 64.99. Another store I shop in the price is 48.99. I was there last year and they wanted $67.00 For Barnse triple X, In 140grn 6.5cal. They wouldn't even budge on the price. So i didn't even buy them. And never went back.

bcsteve
09-01-2013, 01:49 PM
I was there last year and they wanted $67.00 For Barnse triple X, In 140grn 6.5cal. They wouldn't even budge on the price. So i didn't even buy them. And never went back.

You should have bought them anyway, even at that price, it's an extremely rare bullet since Barnes never made a 140gr 6.5 TSX!:mrgreen:

slamman190
09-01-2013, 02:04 PM
Bought my tags there on Friday, paid by debit no issues... They do have a sign right at the register, tag/licences they accept cash OR debit only...
Noticed the "new" staff, perhaps they were misinformed?

chainsaw
09-01-2013, 02:33 PM
What other stores doesn't except credit cards unless they are making a profit off what you are buying ? All purchases should lead to more purchases in the end making profit. Unless you only sell one item then there is no sense in doing it at close to cost.

Sorry, what i ment was most stores (Italian,Wanstalls,Riverside tackle and Reliable) wont let you use credit card for a lic. Debit has never been a problem thought.

ruger#1
09-01-2013, 02:42 PM
You should have bought them anyway, even at that price, it's an extremely rare bullet since Barnes never made a 140gr 6.5 TSX!:mrgreen:No but they make a 130grn. I always shoot a 140grn nosler. Thanks for clearing that up.

NaStY
09-01-2013, 06:01 PM
Bought my tags there on Friday, paid by debit no issues... They do have a sign right at the register, tag/licences they accept cash OR debit only...
Noticed the "new" staff, perhaps they were misinformed?

Theirs so much crap near the till its hard to get to it let alone read everything :mrgreen:

Tytalus
09-01-2013, 06:11 PM
From what I've seen the store has a couple kids of one of the senior employees working there. The other staff have been helpful. That said, the gun prices can be a bit high there. $840 for a Wby vanguard 2, $700 for them at prophet river. I've a feeling the new Canadian tire hunting department is going to clean them out.

solo
09-01-2013, 06:14 PM
Bought a hunting license and tags there two weeks ago with debit. I try to go to my local store and check for stuff before I go to the Internet or Wholesale. I may pay a couple dollars more, but then I don't have to drive an hour, or wait a week for delivery.

bcyukonair
09-01-2013, 06:55 PM
obviously half of you are ndp's & don't under stand making living by your self without mother government helping you.

wjones
09-01-2013, 07:19 PM
I had not been into Hub's for several years until about a month ago. The store is cluttered with gear that I would refer to as "junk" it has a pawn shop feel to it, I was in the store for about 5 minutes and then left feeling like I would probably never go back in there again. HIgh prices, limited selection.

alpinetreker
09-02-2013, 09:16 AM
Does anyone Know why there prices are so high? I don't know where there profit margins need to be in retail? maybe they aren't able to buy in the bulk that other stores are. Just sayin

ruger#1
09-02-2013, 09:27 AM
obviously half of you are ndp's & don't under stand making living by your self without mother government helping you.
Not really so. Some of us do not like having our wallets raped every time we go to a certain sports shop.Sounds a lot like what the NDP would do to us if they were in power. This is why I shop elsewhere.

Belle
09-02-2013, 09:40 AM
I guess I should wade in on this, I work part time at Hubs along with my full time job and no I'm not one of the kids but I am getting closer to retirement. To answer the original issues, Hub Sports does not take credit cards for licences of hunting or fishing, only in exceptional cases. The reason being no one, not any store in BC selling licences makes any money on them, it all goes to the BC Government. We do though get charged a fee by the credit card company every time a customer uses their card at the store, so it costs stores money to accept a credit card for licences.

We have always accepted debit cards and if some one included that in with the credit cards they were wrong and the store apologises. Though we do have bright pink signs explaining this. Also we have had some people lately trying to get their hunting licences without an old licence or their Hunter Number card, just a scrap of paper with a number on it, asking us to accept it as authentic.

As for those who like to compare things from when Rodger owned the store, I agree that he was a great guy just not a great business guy. Hence the sale of the business. As for the shots at the staff, we try to do our best, if we don't know the answer we say so and try and find it for you or direct you to someone who does.

NaStY
09-02-2013, 10:04 AM
Belle are you not the owners daughter ? Or is this the owner impersonating his daughter ?

Rogers demise is his business and had nothing to do with this thread or him selling licences either. He provided a great service and was very successful for a long time. Which is the reason why I spent thousands of dollars there.

It wouldn't hurt your business to provide service as well. In fact it would increase your sales and your staff would prob stick around longer if they were able to provide services as well.

Phreddy
09-02-2013, 10:05 AM
With the experiences I've had there it's the last place on earth I'd ever shop for anything. If they were the only store that had what I needed I'd do without. They're nothing like they used to be when Roger owned the place. I don't wish them any evil, I just won't go back there myself.

RayHill
09-02-2013, 11:03 AM
When they get 3% profit of the license sale, and then pay out 3% because you let people use a c-card you don't make money. The time it takes an employe to fill out the paperwork costs money that will be a hit on the store in a loss.

I have never been in a smaller ma and pop store that let you pay for your license with a c-card. They can't loose money and they will go broke. Big box stores can do whatever they want because they have loads of money backing them.

The Dawg
09-02-2013, 11:06 AM
Im not trying to be a dick here, but I will play the devils advocate.

Why is it anyone starts a thread bashing Wholesale, it gets locked immediately, but when a MOD starts one bashing another non-sponsor, its allowed to run?

Belle
09-02-2013, 11:07 AM
Wow, you sure like jumping to accusations accusing me of being someone else. If the owner or his daughter wanted to respond they would have under their own ID. If you want to come and talk to me about what happened I'm working right now at the store and the next 2 days

One Shot
09-02-2013, 11:14 AM

Why is it anyone starts a thread bashing Wholesale, it gets locked immediately, but when a MOD starts one bashing another non-sponsor, its allowed to run?

Granted, a fair observation.....................

Blainer
09-02-2013, 11:21 AM
Wow, you sure like jumping to accusations accusing me of being someone else. If the owner or his daughter wanted to respond they would have under their own ID. If you want to come and talk to me about what happened I'm working right now at the store and the next 2 daysGood job to step up, and apologise regarding the fact an employee did not accept a debit card.
In my mind that was taking the high road and Nasty should not have seized another opportunity to attack you and a small business.
I would say an apology is in order.
I have also noted that any stores that I purchase a lic. from do NOT honor credit cards.

BRvalley
09-02-2013, 11:38 AM
[QUOTE=Belle;1375787]I guess I should wade in on this, I work part time at Hubs along with my full time job and no I'm not one of the kids but I am getting closer to retirement. To answer the original issues, Hub Sports does not take credit cards for licences of hunting or fishing, only in exceptional cases. The reason being no one, not any store in BC selling licences makes any money on them, it all goes to the BC Government. We do though get charged a fee by the credit card company every time a customer uses their card at the store, so it costs stores money to accept a credit card for licences.
QUOTE]

who cares? you are still providing a service to your customer base and that assumingly provided service will bring that customer back for a revenue generating transaction

that 1.6 to 2.5% service fee is a cost of business, and in the long run providing excellent service to your customer and eating that 2% charge on a once a year fee actually gains you sales, see the original poster as an example, your manager is apparently aware of his cost on the licence but has he considered the sales he just lost from pissing off the OP? he sounds local, how much could he spend in a year at your store? surely more than what you absorb on the processing fees for a licence

it cost me $118 to buy my licences this year, even assuming you have a poorly negotiated fee at the very high end of 3%, that's $3.54 (based on my $118) that you absorb as a business cost and keep a customer for the long run

as somebody that has researched payment processors for about 7-8 clients in the past, the 2% charge is a cost of business, if somebody refused to let me pay credit card on my licences, I'd walk out personally

if you do need help negotiating your payment processing fees, they are a highly competive business and is not hard to get a better rate, call around, ask your banking manager, ask your bookeeper/accountant

russm
09-02-2013, 11:47 AM
A form of payment is a form of payment too me, I have and will again leave purchases at the front of stores before because for whatever reason they won't (can't) take payment, if the business us important to a store owner they would take your money in any form.

Gateholio
09-02-2013, 11:50 AM

Granted, a fair observation.....................

Excellent point! I noted same

Gentlemen, your concerns are without merit. Here are some (but certainly not all) of the WSS sports "bashing" threads that you can actively participate in, as they are not locked. In no particular order:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?53174-how-bad-wholesale-sports-is&highlight=wholesale

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?92577-Wholesale-sports&highlight=wholesale

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?81218-wholesale-sports&highlight=wholesale

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?65194-What-s-happening-with-wholesale-sports&highlight=wholesale

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?60945-Wholesale-sport-pisses-me-off&highlight=wholesale.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?55489-Wholesale-Sports-A-shadow-of-its-former-self&highlight=wholesale

There are more, but you get the idea. Ample opportunity to comment on WSS.

Cookie1965
09-02-2013, 11:52 AM
Seems clear to me that most posters here don't run their own small business, but feel they're entitled to comment publicly on how others choose to run theirs.
Don't want to do business with someone? Fine, don't, but leave it there unless you're a real jacka$$ or the business owner kicked your dog.

Gateholio
09-02-2013, 11:55 AM
I've been in a number of stores that won't take VISA for hunting or fishing lic purchases. It's never been an issue for me, I just use debit or cash.

reach
09-02-2013, 12:06 PM

I think you meant "praising" in the first case, not "bashing". Bashing of non-sponsors is encouraged - see the list of threads Gatehouse posted. Say something good about a non-sponsor though, and that's "advertising" and it will be locked.

cens
09-02-2013, 12:29 PM
I guess I should wade in on this, I work part time at Hubs along with my full time job and no I'm not one of the kids but I am getting closer to retirement. To answer the original issues, Hub Sports does not take credit cards for licences of hunting or fishing, only in exceptional cases. The reason being no one, not any store in BC selling licences makes any money on them, it all goes to the BC Government. We do though get charged a fee by the credit card company every time a customer uses their card at the store, so it costs stores money to accept a credit card for licences.

We have always accepted debit cards and if some one included that in with the credit cards they were wrong and the store apologises. Though we do have bright pink signs explaining this. Also we have had some people lately trying to get their hunting licences without an old licence or their Hunter Number card, just a scrap of paper with a number on it, asking us to accept it as authentic.

As for those who like to compare things from when Rodger owned the store, I agree that he was a great guy just not a great business guy. Hence the sale of the business. As for the shots at the staff, we try to do our best, if we don't know the answer we say so and try and find it for you or direct you to someone who does.

In business there are associated costs with providing your customers a service. Just because you lose cents for a credit card transaction does not outweigh losing a customers indefinitely that you don't seem to care about. You need to eat the cost on certain things so you can ensure they come back to purchase your other goods which you do make a profit on. Grocery stores sell milk at a loss, hoping that you come in and purchase other goods on your way to the milk section (which is almost always at the back of the store), they don't stop you from paying with credit card when you purchase just a jug of milk...

Cookie1965
09-02-2013, 12:29 PM
I'm not a retailer, but operate a small business. A friend of mine in the same industry related a story to me where he accepted a CC as payment on a $5,000 invoice. When his statement came he noticed that he'd been charged a commission on the transaction of something like $360. A little over 7%. He called the company and was told that the client had a "special" card paying him double air miles. This is charged directly to the merchant with NO negotiations. Many people don't realize that the merchant bears the entire cost of all the points programs the card companies use to sell their product.

I also get frustrated whenever I see a "bashing " thread about a small mom and pop company. These business owners clearly aren't perfect but most are trying their best and how would most people feel if every time they annoyed someone at work it ended up on the internet where all their employers could read it.Let's face it, as a small retailer everyone who walks in the door is your boss. I read once that an unhappy customer tells 10 people for every 1 a happy customer tells.

All I read about is how these small mom and pop's should A)absorb costs, B)match prices with big box stores with huge buying power and C) offer top service. How is that even possible and still pay yourself a living wage, not to mention actually hoping to turn a profit.

In my business a customer can buy products off the internet for less than my cost from a local supplier, luckily to this point selling the product is only part of what I do. The small mom and pop is probably faced with the same conundrum but it would clearly hurt them more than me.

So everyone keep up the bashing threads and putting the financial screws to the small stores and in a few years I hope everyone is happy buying from only the big box stores or ordering everything from e-bay.

Gateholio
09-02-2013, 12:38 PM
I think you meant "praising" in the first case, not "bashing". Bashing of non-sponsors is encouraged - see the list of threads Gatehouse posted. Say something good about a non-sponsor though, and that's "advertising" and it will be locked.

Not correct at all, we have been over this before. Advertising and "praising" are 2 different things. One is allowed, the other is not.

Incidently, your Hunting iPhone app has had lots of positive exposure here on HBC and those threads have not been locked, despite some being quite close to being advertising.

Gateholio
09-02-2013, 12:45 PM
Perhaps the respected Mod could field this inquiry? A double standard, or maybe when money talks.....something else walks. Businesses have the right to decide what method of payment that they will accept.

Lot my knowledge WSS has never done any "talking" to HBC for any reason. No double standard here.

cens
09-02-2013, 12:49 PM
Seems clear to me that most posters here don't run their own small business, but feel they're entitled to comment publicly on how others choose to run theirs.
Don't want to do business with someone? Fine, don't, but leave it there unless you're a real jacka$$ or the business owner kicked your dog.

Or the business could take the appropriate steps to appease their client base therein increasing the number of clientele based on POSITIVE word of mouth exchanges between friends, family, forums, etc.

reach
09-02-2013, 01:49 PM
Not correct at all, we have been over this before. Advertising and "praising" are 2 different things. One is allowed, the other is not.

Incidently, your Hunting iPhone app has had lots of positive exposure here on HBC and those threads have not been locked, despite some being quite close to being advertising.
Indeed, it is pretty stupid for me to weigh in on a topic like this. I just feel that you're not doing the sponsors any service by providing biased information, because it throws ALL information on the site into question. I also have made that point before so we'll have to agree to disagree.

FWIW I go out of my way to never start or bump those threads unless it's in response to a specific question.

Sorry for the derail. As for the store in Abbotsford, in my dealings with them I don't have anything particularly good or bad to report so I'm out of this thread. I do know almost no retailers accept credit cards for licenses, for the reasons Cookie1965 mentioned. Most accept debit though; in this case it sounds like a mistake by an employee, not store policy.

Gateholio
09-02-2013, 04:19 PM
Indeed, it is pretty stupid for me to weigh in on a topic like this. I just feel that you're not doing the sponsors any service by providing biased information, because it throws ALL information on the site into question. I also have made that point before so we'll have to agree to disagree.

There is no biased information provided by HBC itself. Individual members post all sorts of things, but there are things that people can post, and things they cannot. Advertising for a company is one of them. There are many threads that praise/ask questions about non sponsors of HBC that do not get locked. When the thread morphs into an advertising thread they get locked. Same for the WSS bashing threads- some have been locked for various reasons, mostly because there are so many that starting new threads to bitch about them is redundant.

NaStY
09-02-2013, 05:15 PM
Wow, you sure like jumping to accusations accusing me of being someone else. If the owner or his daughter wanted to respond they would have under their own ID. If you want to come and talk to me about what happened I'm working right now at the store and the next 2 days

Sorry wasn't jumping to anything. Just know a someone named belle is all. I'm a little busy at the moment but will try to make the time one evening this week.

NaStY
09-02-2013, 05:25 PM
Just so everyone is aware. This wasn't a bash hub sports thread. If I had experienced the same thing else where I would have said the same thing about them. I have never had a situation like this. It makes no sense to me. I have been in the service industry all my life and wouldn't make it far if I did business this way. I do stuff for free all the time and have life long paying customers.

1/2 slam
09-02-2013, 08:27 PM
Haven't done business with them since just after Roger sold. I find their service piss poor, terrible selection and their prices high.

f350ps
09-02-2013, 08:36 PM
Just so everyone is aware. This wasn't a bash hub sports thread. If I had experienced the same thing else where I would have said the same thing about them. I have never had a situation like this. It makes no sense to me. I have been in the service industry all my life and wouldn't make it far if I did business this way. I do stuff for free all the time and have life long paying customers.
Hahaha... So let me get this right, you start a thread bashing Hubs policies but you didn't want to start a Hubs bashing thread, did I sum that up right? Wow!!! K

Jennifer
09-02-2013, 08:52 PM
Last weekend I bought my hunting license and tags by debit card - not at Hub sports mind you - Belles in Mission - but should all be the same. I did call Hubs for info on a gun for my 10 yr old and the young man gave me totally wrong info on it - so I called him on it and I won't go back or call them again.

r106
09-02-2013, 09:16 PM
The guy from the Langley gun store is working there now and apparently is getting set up to do gunsmith work there.

There have been a lot of complaints from customers and employes about the new owner. He can run his business however he wants, as long as people spend money there nothing will change. I will only shop there if I need something quick or if there the only place that has it.

NaStY
09-03-2013, 09:20 AM
Hahaha... So let me get this right, you start a thread bashing Hubs policies but you didn't want to start a Hubs bashing thread, did I sum that up right? Wow!!! K

I just reread my posts and your right, I did bash the store. Well it is what it is. When I asked for the tags they should have told me up front they don't accept certain types of payments if I wanted to purchase them. Then I would have left and bought them at Canadian tire then. Instead we filled out all the information then he said we don't accept cc or dc as payment. Kind of left me speechless. You tell me what you would have done. Or was it just because I made my opinion here on HBC.

Rackem
09-03-2013, 10:00 AM
Ok, so the Problem: Clients unhappy about last minute information on payment type limitations, Store management doesn't like losing money on selling license/tags via CC/Debit.

Potential solutions:
>Have a sign posted in the licensing area explaining the cons of paying for licenses via CC/Debit for the small business owner, and request that they pay with other methods if possible to support Mom and Pop stores.
>Train employees to verbally inform license buyers of the costs politely prior to filling in paperwork.
>If the client is not on board, accept the CC/Debit payment with grace, absorb it as the cost of business.
>Ask your book keeper to ensure that you are indeed on the lowest percent possible for your CC/Debit program.

I managed a business in Downtown Vancouver, and our clinic policy was not to accept American Express due to the insane rewards programs and high fees to the business owner. We had a sign made up explaining this policy and asking clients to please consider other options. Only one client was slightly put out, but was still compliant. We gave him a starbucks coffee card and he was happy again.

Overall the cost of the coffee card vs the cost of accepting American Express worked well.

I have heard of some businesses charging a surcharge on top of the price to compensate for the loss...

Cookie1965
09-03-2013, 10:25 AM
I have heard of some businesses charging a surcharge on top of the price to compensate for the loss...

This is illegal, and I'm pretty sure it's in contravention of the merchant agreement as well.

BimmerBob
09-03-2013, 10:57 AM
This is illegal, and I'm pretty sure it's in contravention of the merchant agreement as well.

I think a common way around that for merchants, which I have seen in various stores, is to offer a "discount" for their preferred payment options which is not available for a credit card user. Singling out specific sale types for the discount/treatment would be, in my mind, a bureaucratic solution that would undoubtedly lead to errors/omissions and customer dissatisfaction.

As for the sale of hunting licenses and tags, I am at a loss as to why a merchant would want to recover the $3 fee from a customer that could potentially provide the merchant with more than that profit on the next $10 sale. Seems a little like cutting off their nose to spite their face but there are reasons that small businesses fail and this is potentially only one of them...

Cookie1965
09-03-2013, 01:54 PM
I think a common way around that for merchants, which I have seen in various stores, is to offer a "discount" for their preferred payment options which is not available for a credit card user. Singling out specific sale types for the discount/treatment would be, in my mind, a bureaucratic solution that would undoubtedly lead to errors/omissions and customer dissatisfaction.

As for the sale of hunting licenses and tags, I am at a loss as to why a merchant would want to recover the $3 fee from a customer that could potentially provide the merchant with more than that profit on the next $10 sale. Seems a little like cutting off their nose to spite their face but there are reasons that small businesses fail and this is potentially only one of them...

I personally think more retailers should offer a cash discount, since that's how I make the majority of my purchases.
For the mom and pop hunting store, I can fully understand why they don't "just eat" the CC service charges on licenses, because in my experience many of those customers don't offer them the chance to get the money back. How many of us buy our ammunition etc at Walmart or Canadian Tire because it's cheaper, but go to the hunting store for licenses because they won't screw it up? And how long does it take the clerk to go through all the steps to make sure all your licenses and tags are correct? This year for mine I think it was 15 or 20 minutes, the wages paid there come out of the store owners pocket too.
It's a moot point anyways since next year it'll be all on-line and everyone will have something new to bitch about.

Bowzone_Mikey
09-03-2013, 02:13 PM
....As for the sale of hunting licenses and tags, I am at a loss as to why a merchant would want to recover the $3 fee from a customer that could potentially provide the merchant with more than that profit on the next $10 sale. Seems a little like cutting off their nose to spite their face but there are reasons that small businesses fail and this is potentially only one of them...

Because a significant number of people only darken the doorway to buy the licence and tags ... buy the rest of their stuff elsewhere (amazon... CT, wallys world etc...)

BRvalley
09-03-2013, 02:33 PM
different strokes for different folks I guess, everybody values something different when they go shopping I guess

but good customer service ALWAYS outweighs saving a quick penny....save a penny, lose a buck....the partner at the CA firm i worked for fresh out of school would drill this into the heads of our clients

15 mins to fill out paperwork, $2 for payment processing, etc...who cares in the long run?

not every business transaction is revenue generating, but a happy customer will come back....think long term, not short term

those are my beliefs anyways and I'm big on good service....for example, I live in chetwynd and can go to nechako, corlanes or bartons....my next rifle will be from bartons, because those guys give me the best service...I didn't buy when I was looking last visit, but the guys know their shit, easy to talk to and when I'm ready to buy, they already earned my dollars on my last 2 visits....customer service keeps people coming back

Stéphane
09-03-2013, 03:48 PM
. . . .I have heard of some businesses charging a surcharge on top of the price to compensate for the loss...

Yep! Problem solved. No need to get angry about this, right? Say, $0.50 more OR spend $5.00 in gas to the next store.

See, I love encouraging the small businesses. I guess that's just me. I also understand their limitations and I buy elsewhere when these limitations aren't suitable for me. No big deal. Life's too short to get angry over every little things.

As for not going to a store for a single bad experience, it is a bit of an overreaction. If you had many issues, the best way is to just find a new place without ever mentioning their name. No publicity at all.

tyreguy
09-03-2013, 06:08 PM
Dear Mr. Nasty, if you had a bad experience and you didn't like the service please feel free to shop elsewhere. STARTING a post ranting to others about you and your family and your friends will never shop there again is nothing but a slam against this business, if you have an opinion wait for others to ask then tell them of your experience.
I was at this store - the same day at 12:30pm picking up some spoons for pink fishing - used my credit card. There is a sign (BRIGHT PINK) right beside the register stating they do not accept credit cards for licences, but cash and debit is accepted. BUT, if you want to shop and then buy a licence they will accept your card. This happens everywhere, seen it lots - no money in licences - they make more money by you walking out the door.
One thing - you have time to rant but don't have time to meet with Belle as he said he is there and can talk to you - you should right your wrong.

ruger#1
09-03-2013, 06:11 PM
Dear Mr. Nasty, if you had a bad experience and you didn't like the service please feel free to shop elsewhere. STARTING a post ranting to others about you and your family and your friends will never shop there again is nothing but a slam against this business, if you have an opinion wait for others to ask then tell them of your experience.
I was at this store - the same day at 12:30pm picking up some spoons for pink fishing - used my credit card. There is a sign (BRIGHT PINK) right beside the register stating they do not accept credit cards for licences, but cash and debit is accepted. BUT, if you want to shop and then buy a licence they will accept your card. This happens everywhere, seen it lots - no money in licences - they make more money by you walking out the door.
One thing - you have time to rant but don't have time to meet with Belle as he said he is there and can talk to you - you should right your wrong. Belle is a she.

tyreguy
09-03-2013, 06:47 PM
[QUOTE=ruger#1Belle is a she.

oh....my mistake......oops.

NaStY
09-03-2013, 06:50 PM
One thing - you have time to rant but don't have time to meet with Belle as he said he is there and can talk to you - you should right your wrong.

As I stated in previous post. Its pretty difficult to read anything at the till. All I wanted to do was get in and get out as I had a busy schedule this past weekend. I haven't spent much time in the store these past few years or any store for that matter.

I also wasn't aware that not being able to buy a licence or tags with a credit card or debit was so common or accepted.

I'm not apologizing for anything. To me its wrong and unacceptable. I have a right to view my point and also the right to post my view. If you don't like it, that's ok too.

Im pretty sure i know who Belle is and when i have time, i will go there. Again im not apologizing for anything. If thats the way they want to do business, then that's the way it is. Although I dont see the point and going there and arguing about it.

09-03-2013, 06:55 PM
Wait till all retailers refuse to sell licenses and we all have to visit our closets govt agecy. Willing to wager that most hunters know of at least one retailer who are no longer selling licenses.....our local gun shop hasn't sold tags for years now for the reasons mentioned. One would think if some of the opinions concerning future possible sales etc. were true, small businesses, being as keen as they are for business, would roll out the welcome mat for people buying tags and wanting to pay with CC, but again as mentioned, the general policy in most shops for licenses is cash or debit.....something doesn't add up. Personally l learnt my lesson years ago (nothing to due with method of payment) and go to the source (access center) as its frustrating to wait in a line up only to find out the tags you want aren't available from a particular retailer. Side note...... l do not believe a govt access center will accept a credit card to buy tags over the counter either.

NaStY
09-03-2013, 06:55 PM
Oh and BTW I did buy my license and tags there last year using my credit card with no issues. But then again, all the staff that worked there for several years are no longer there.

SWD
09-03-2013, 08:25 PM
The owners of Belle's and Hubs were the only people in the whole lower mainland, willing to get Queen Charlottes licences and tags in for me. They are always polite and willing to help out and get in what I need. They are kind people and will continue to get my business.

Belle
09-03-2013, 08:43 PM
If your expecting Belle to be a she, your going to be in for a surprise.

David
09-04-2013, 12:00 AM
There's a lot of mis-information in this thread on Credit Card fees, policies, and regulations - and I suck at the internet so I won't multi-quote people, but....

1.6% just does not happen - and I do multi-millions in sales. CC fees are based on your $ volumes and the type of card the client uses (i.e. as a retailer I pay the payment providers more if you use a gold card or an airmiles card vs. a basic card). The ability to negotiate with the payment providers is basically non-existant. (the retailer doesn't actually pay Visa, they pay Moneris or Global Payments or whomever their provider is)

There are related fees on top of the straight percentage cost.

Legally, you are not allowed to surcharge someone for using a CC.

The only difference with debit is it is a straight transaction fee - regardless of the size of the purchase - and that fee is usually quite low. In addition to the low fees debit is preferred for retailers as there is less chance of a charge-back and there is a greater onus on the purchaser, rather than the retailer, in the case of a disputed charge.

Many government sales items: like lottery tickets, licenses, etc. generally have a requirement that they are sold at cost, at a very specific mark-up, or at a specific retail price. Hunters should be aware of this as it also occurs in many high-end products (i.e. I believe to be a Leica dealer they set the minimum $$$ you can sell their product at). Most small retailers would LOSE money selling a license.

If you're pissed that a store wouldn't take credit for your license, you're basically pissed that the owner wouldn't subsidize your purchase.