PDA

View Full Version : Jetboil problem

swampthing
09-01-2013, 10:01 AM
I went out for a weekend overnighter and had my jetboil piss me off. When I flashed it up it would only burn lightly, no good flame, and it went out every 30 seconds. Took me an hour to heat water for the mountain house. Anybody ever have this problem with theirs?

troutseeker
09-01-2013, 02:04 PM
Nope, mine has been perfect for over a year of regular use.

nature girl
09-01-2013, 02:11 PM
So what did you do get pissed off and pretend it was a football and see it fly down the mountain side. Ah your frustrations would of went away and then the dang thing probably would of started up and burned the forest down.

REMINGTON JIM
09-01-2013, 02:36 PM
I went out for a weekend overnighter and had my jetboil piss me off. When I flashed it up it would only burn lightly, no good flame, and it went out every 30 seconds. Took me an hour to heat water for the mountain house. Anybody ever have this problem with theirs?

Did you make sure it functioned properly before you went out into the Wilds and then needed it to cook supper ? Hmm ! :grin: :confused: RJ

ruger#1
09-01-2013, 02:47 PM
So what did you do get pissed off and pretend it was a football and see it fly down the mountain side. Ah your frustrations would of went away and then the dang thing probably would of started up and burned the forest down. Wow, That was funny Nature Girl , I cant stop laughing. Would be funny to see someone do this. My father did that with a Colman lantern. He lit it and it flared up. Flames every ware. He threw it in the lake. It was funny and he was so pissed off.

SKYLINE
09-01-2013, 03:11 PM
What fuel were you using? I've had some three season mix give me issues with cooler temps and higher elevations. The primus four season mix seems to be the best fuel I've tried.

swampthing
09-02-2013, 08:51 AM
I dug the stove out of my quad before I left and found it was dirty. I washed it all up and then tried it. The flame was weak but steady. I figured I got water in it and it would dry out.When on the mountain, it took an hour to heat water for mountain house with constant re-lighting. I had plenty of patience as I was starved and cold. The next day for morning coffee it worked no better. I had primus 4 season fuel. When I got home I fired it up and it worked fine. Figure that!

RiverOtter
09-02-2013, 01:22 PM
What model and elevation gave you problems? Sounds to me like a regulator issue or the cannister didn't make a solid seal when attached, though the latter should have alerted you with a foul smell.

I have heard of guys tucking their fuel cannister in the bottom of their sleeping bag or in their jacket for 20 mins or so to get better performance in cooler temps/higher elevation.

I run a JB Sol, with the built in regulator, and have had zero issues at high elevation and/or lower temps. Only time I have an issue(longer boil times) is during the last pot or two of water before the cannister is empty. I also run Primus fuel.

bigwhiteys
09-02-2013, 03:40 PM
My 1st gen Jetboil has been working flawlessly for 8 years now and boiled hundreds of liters of water. From 0' to 6800' we've had no issues. When it's COLD (like October/Nov) I have experienced the same problem as you, to alleviate that we just held the canisters in our hands to warm them up for a few minutes or kept them in our sleeping bags/pockets if its the small ones. Problem was solved. I cannot comment on the newer versions. We run the Primus or Jetboil brand fuels, haven't really noticed a diff. between the two.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
09-02-2013, 04:38 PM
Mine works Awesome . really like it .

swampthing
06-13-2015, 12:08 PM
Update. Was recently on the mountain for a night and my jetboil acted up again. It lit right up at home. Out in the field it would only work if I tipped it sideways. I ended up lighting the whole thing on fire and burnt myself tryin to put it out? Anyways, there is a recall on certain models, mine being included. Jetboil says to return it to who I bought it from and they will replace it. I will see if Nechako Outdoors will score me a new unit?