PDA

View Full Version : Kuiu Yukon pants.

allan
08-31-2013, 07:32 AM
I went out this week for a walk in the pouring (hard) rain for two hours. My pants held up very well with the exception of sitting on the quad for about 15 min on the ride back to the truck. The pants started to seep through on the seat as I was driving.
Anyone else experience this? Or is it only the pants not good enough for that kind of moisture exposure? Or are the pants defective?
My Sitka jacket kept my top half bone dry.

Trekker
08-31-2013, 07:39 AM
I had a similar problem with my chugach pants after several hours of hiking through sleet soaked willow and bush. not as 100% waterproof as I had hoped.

NovemberBravo
08-31-2013, 12:30 PM
I have had the same problem with my sitka strormfront lites. Might be because they are lite but its still kind of a pain.

Muleymaniac
08-31-2013, 01:18 PM
Dido with trekker on the chugach, heavy wet bush whacking and eventually my legs got damp. Although my dad just got back from west coast fishing with my chugach rain gear and said he was bone dry after hours of fishing in the rain.

bcsteve
08-31-2013, 02:04 PM
I would contact them. The Yukon is their top of the line waterproof jacket: "The Yukon Jacket is designed to be worn all day everyday by sheep guides in wet, tough mountain conditions.

ryanb
09-04-2013, 02:46 PM
Keep in mind that breathable rain gear loses its breathability when soaked. When you are bushwhacking it can be easy to overwhelm the dwr coating on a waterproof fabric (the coating that makes the water bead and shed) and get it soaked. It then becomes like rubber rain gear. Another factor is that depending on the waterproof membrane type and face fabric, there is a waterproof measure in mm. It you are sitting on a quad seat and your pants are wet on the outside, the pressure can be enough to exceed this rating and transmit the water through the fabric to the inside.

adriaticum
09-04-2013, 03:24 PM
Nothing that's breathable is 100% water proof.

BRvalley
09-04-2013, 04:24 PM
I returned my sitka pants after 3 outings, can't remember the model but they were $300something...each time I ended up with a wet ass, the butt crack seam was leaking

Rackem
09-04-2013, 05:12 PM
I returned my sitka pants after 3 outings, can't remember the model but they were $300something...each time I ended up with a wet ass, the butt crack seam was leaking

Why does this not surprise me with you??? I don't think any butt crack seam will be waterproof considering the powerful gaseous emissions...:mrgreen:

Frango
09-04-2013, 05:52 PM
On the flip flip side I have used Remington pants from Walmart all day on the quad and walking in pissing rain and never had a wet ass. I have had them for 3 years. Not bad for $59 .

allan
09-04-2013, 08:20 PM
On the flip flip side I have used Remington pants from Walmart all day on the quad and walking in pissing rain and never had a wet ass. I have had them for 3 years. Not bad for $59 .
I used those pants once. Lasted three hours of bush walking till I took em off and gave them away. Worst 59 I ever spent. Sweated like crazy in them. Did not fit well.

Spokerider
09-04-2013, 08:33 PM
Keep in mind that breathable rain gear loses its breathability when soaked. When you are bushwhacking it can be easy to overwhelm the dwr coating on a waterproof fabric (the coating that makes the water bead and shed) and get it soaked. It then becomes like rubber rain gear. Another factor is that depending on the waterproof membrane type and face fabric, there is a waterproof measure in mm. It you are sitting on a quad seat and your pants are wet on the outside, the pressure can be enough to exceed this rating and transmit the water through the fabric to the inside.

What ryanb said.
The hydraulic pressure caused by your weight, with the H20 between the seat and you, has overcome the pressure rating of the material. All breathable fabrics will fail at some pressure.

Frango
09-04-2013, 08:33 PM
I bet you did not have a wet ass.The fit , I agree with.