PDA

View Full Version : 870 barrel prob.

Ghost Stalker
08-30-2013, 05:51 PM
Hey I just bought an 870 Tac-2 specops and want to use it for waterfowl as well so I ordered a 28" barrel from wgp. It arrived and I noticed a problem. The new barrel is built for a 3 shot mag cap. And my gun has a 6 shot mag cap! Does anyone KNOW if there is a spacer on the market or can I just make one? If it is fit properly I don't see any danger or problems other than there will not be a little bearing like on the original barrel ring. Just checking my options before I send the barrel back. Was hard nuff to find a barrel to fit my needs and don't wanna end up with just a cool home defence/bear gun. Thx Chris

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
08-30-2013, 06:39 PM
Barrel fit to magazine tube is of paramount importance on an 870 do to its design as the tube magazine connection to it works to keep the barrel attached to the reciever. In your postion, I would seek a new magazine tube that works with the 28" Barrel. Another option may be to have a gunsmith alter the existing tube to fit.

To be 100% honest with you Sir, what I actually would do in this situation would be to either sell that Remington 870 or keep it as a bit of curio and purchase an Ithaca Waterfowler or Featherlight with my desired barrel length. The fit, finish and qaulity of these firearms is nonpareil. I shall include the website of Ithaca Gun's current Canadian importer* for anyone who may be interested -

http://www.triggerwholesale.com/ithaca-gun-co.html

This is the Ithaca Gun company website* ~

http://www.ithacagun.com/

*It is important to note that I have no commercial interests in nor I am assoaciated with either entity listed. I am including these links as I believe these guns to be the best in world in my opinion.

Ghost Stalker
08-30-2013, 06:56 PM
Ya that's what I think too. But if I had a sleeve over the existing mag would it not provide the same if not better stability for the new barrel?as long as it was cut to fit exactly how the shorter(18") barrel does? I just can't see any problem but I'm not an expert.

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
08-30-2013, 07:03 PM
The particular shotgun model you have is not well suited to Wingshooting, in my opinion, regardless of barrel length as it is equiped with a pistol grip. None the less it can be done and one can adapt.

The modifcations you suggest seem too risky to me. I would be uninterested myself yet If you want to take the risk and jerry-rig something, that is your perogative Sir. If you insist on using it then why not just leave it original and add a plug so it is Waterfowl legal then have at it?

Drillbit
08-30-2013, 08:13 PM
Doesn't the gun you bought come with a magazine extension?

Can't you just buy a magazine cap to fit the barrel (wingmaster or express)? You'll need a plug too, for waterfowling even without the extension.