PDA

View Full Version : 3-31A moose??

MichelD
08-30-2013, 08:45 AM
Hello again,

I wonder if anyone who missed my original query in July about moose hunting in 3-31A would have any new insights?

I have made note of previous advice, thank you to those who contributed.

I have a moose draw there for November and though I have touristed around the area a bit I never thought of it as a moose spot then my buddy suggested I apply there for LEH.

Thanks,

Michel

Sofa King
08-30-2013, 08:54 AM
it's surprising where moose will be found.
there's plenty of water there with the fraser bordering that zone.
i'm sure there's plenty of more local guys on here that would have some tips.

Darksith
08-30-2013, 09:54 AM
Personally hunting moose after the rut is over means finding the feed, the moose will prefer feed that has cover all around it, and it also means for the hunter, getting in and out. You are gonna have to find them, if they aren't "there" accept it and move to a new spot. I see lots of guys hunt moose and they insist that there "should" be moose in a spot, so they stick on it and end up with nothing. Sometimes you gotta put lots of km on the truck and boots to find them, but if you do you will. I am not suggesting simply road hunting, use google, find the swamps with red willow and trees all around, and get in and out of those spots. Do that and you should be successful. Don't get hung up on a spot unless there is lots of fresh sign, sometimes they just arent where you think they should be.

MichelD
08-30-2013, 09:57 AM
Thank you gentlemen.

Will work on that.

I'm working on a boat on the coast until the end of October otherwise I'd be scouting those areas now plus during October deer hunting (which I will be missing too).

bandit
08-30-2013, 04:14 PM
I had a moose draw in 3.31B last Nov but spent a bit of time in A. We did cut a tag but it was as much by luck than being smart. The area is generally very dry so you need to look hard for swampy areas. PM me if you want some specifics.

Rob Chipman
08-30-2013, 04:38 PM
I know for a fact there are moose there. Saw a young bull (not an immy) last year, but didn't have a draw. There is a LOT of logging slash and I saw where somebody had dropped a bull crossing the slash.

One thing I did last year, and that I think pays off if you're new to the area and partly road based, is to google map the area with satellite view, and then identify choke points and good (potentially) habitat area. I did that and, lo and behold, found a tree scrape in a choke point (narrow neck of woods between an old dried up beaver meadow/swamp and a pothole lake). Two days later called in the bull, and then used some sheds to walk within rock throwing distance. If you can't really scout, google maps can be a friend (and give you good ideas of when to get out of the pick up or off the quad).