PDA

View Full Version : Predator Night Hunting

Gateholio
01-18-2007, 03:46 PM
Many states (and all of australia) allow predators such as bobcats and coyotes (or dingos) to be hunted at night wiht the aid of a spotlight.

Most of this sort of hunitng takes place on private property, but not all of it does.

There doens't seem to be any sort of safety issue as long as some precautions are taken. Would the farms/ranches of BC be a good place to introduce some predator nigt hunting?

Rainwater
01-18-2007, 04:03 PM
Holy Crap Gatehouse, we just spent I forget how many pages talking about night hunting by Natives, do you want equal rights on that playing field just because we feel we've been robbed. I sure don't and most of the Natives I have talked to in the last few weeks don't agree with it either. It doesn't matter what your shootin your still shootin in the dark. Someone said the moderators were all knowing??????

SHAKER
01-18-2007, 04:16 PM
Good call rainwater, If you feel you need to shoot predators at night then you should think about putting a little more effort in during the day. Coyotes are suckers for electronic calls and any monkey can use one. Bobcats can be called under the right conditions fairly easy, or get a hound buddy and go run the nuts off of them. It's a whole lot more rewarding to tree a bobcat with your own dogs than to plink one off in a spotlight. If you have a major predator problem then PM and we can hook up and go kill some. Leave the light at home!

Gateholio
01-18-2007, 04:21 PM
[quote=Rainwater]Holy Crap Gatehouse, we just spent I forget how many pages talking about night hunting by Natives, do you want equal rights on that playing field just because we feel we've been robbed. I sure don't and most of the Natives I have talked to in the last few weeks don't agree with it either.

It's a discussion forum.8) Discuss.......

It doesn't matter what your shootin your still shootin in the dark.

And this means what?

Someone said the moderators were all knowing??????

Actually, I said "moderators are NOT all knowing." Although I know that you, Rainwater, believe the opposite. Thanks!8-)

Gateholio
01-18-2007, 04:23 PM
Good call rainwater, If you feel you need to shoot predators at night then you should think about putting a little more effort in during the day. Coyotes are suckers for electronic calls and any monkey can use one. Bobcats can be called under the right conditions fairly easy, or get a hound buddy and go run the nuts off of them. It's a whole lot more rewarding to tree a bobcat with your own dogs than to plink one off in a spotlight. If you have a major predator problem then PM and we can hook up and go kill some. Leave the light at home!

So you disagree wiht predator hunting at night becuase you believe it is less rewarding? :confused:

Onesock
01-18-2007, 04:30 PM
Sh**, most guys can't get permission from ranchers to hunt during daylight hours how would we ever get permission to hunt at night!!! I don't agree with hunting at night no matter what color your skin is or isn't.

SHAKER
01-18-2007, 04:31 PM
I didn't say that, I mean't it's pretty unethical. If you need to hunt predators at night you should look at some more "ethical" options. Theirs lots of them: Electronic calls, hounds, long range field shooting ect. Not metion a serious safty issue with shooting at night. Just seams like the lazy way out to wack a critter.

Rainwater
01-18-2007, 04:31 PM
I'm sure there will be lots more discussion on this but I think goin down that same slippery road just makes us look bad, anyone in favour of hunting predators at night better not be angry at natives with a highpowered torch, that's really all I'm gettin at.

Gateholio
01-18-2007, 04:32 PM
Sh**, most guys can't get permission from ranchers to hunt during daylight hours how would we ever get permission to hunt at night!!! I don't agree with hunting at night no matter what color your skin is or isn't.

So you disagree with it because of permission issues?:confused:

Onesock
01-18-2007, 04:37 PM
No, never said that. I said I don't know how a person would ever get permission to hunt at night. I diagree with it for ethical and safety reason's. I don't understand your comment Gate about safety issues as long as precautions are taken. Shooting anything at night is unsafe.

Gateholio
01-18-2007, 04:38 PM
I didn't say that, I mean't it's pretty unethical. If you need to hunt predators at night you should look at some more "ethical" options. Theirs lots of them: Electronic calls, hounds, long range field shooting ect. Not metion a serious safty issue with shooting at night. Just seams like the lazy way out to wack a critter.

IN many areas, hunting predators at night is considered quite ethical, and a good way to maximize your hunting time (many people work during the day and in winter, the evenings are short)

Since we are talking about safety concerns, does anyone have any stats to suggest that night hunting of predators (in legal areas) on private land has had safety problems?

Is lazy the proper way to describe going out at 11PM in the dark, when most are going to bed, and sitting on stand in the freezing cold?

Gateholio
01-18-2007, 04:40 PM
Shooting anything at night is unsafe.

How do you know this to be true, 100% of the time? I suppose you have records of safety problems while legally predator hunting on private land?

SHAKER
01-18-2007, 04:42 PM
O.k........Had to think about this for a bit. For what reason would you want to shoot things at night? What would you achieve doing this? What's the motive?

300WM
01-18-2007, 04:48 PM
There doens't seem to be any sort of safety issue as long as some precautions are taken. Would the farms/ranches of BC be a good place to introduce some predator nigt hunting?

I think that shooting at night does cause a safety concern no matter what precautions you take (whatever those would be).

You cannot see evrything that is going on around you and shooting at night even with the aid of a light will not allow you to see and be certain there is no other animals (humans included) that have a chance of being injured by a deflected shot, complete miss, pass through etc.

We have a no shoot rule after or before daylight hours for a reason.

Onesock
01-18-2007, 04:59 PM
I am not in the habit of shooting at something unless I know 100% for sure there is nothing or no one behind my intended target and I don't think we can be sure of that at night. At least these are my rules and I think most hunters would agree with me on this.

Rod
01-18-2007, 05:02 PM
I don't disagree with predator hunting at night for ethical reasons, it doesn't make sense but that's a big part of my problem with hunting BG at night. I guess I just don't see predators in the same light.

I do feel ANY sport hunting at night is more dangerous and it can be scary enough in some areas in daylight.

Now when it comes to protecting livestock I feel a farmer/rancher should have the right to do what is necessary on his own land. Still unsafe but theoretically he would know if anyone was on his land and any livestock unfortunate enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time would leave nobody to blame but himself.

I took a bear at night with a light when I was a teen, had a natural resources employe with me (holding the light actually) on my parents land. We had a serious problem with this bear destroying bee hives and were told that basically anything goes when it comes to protecting stock/crops in Ontario from anything but deer.

Honey bears sure taste fine!

Rainwater
01-18-2007, 05:02 PM
Me thinks we are being led down the garden path by the Devils advocate.

NEEHAMA
01-18-2007, 05:05 PM
I like fishing in the dark.

Gateholio
01-18-2007, 05:23 PM
Everyone seems to think that there are grave safety concerns, however there is no evidence that hunitng predators at night on private land is "dangerous, because I said so"

Meanwhile, it is quite legal in some areas of North America, and presumably if they were having safety issues, it woudl have been banned.

Keep in mind it is perfectly legal to discharge as many firearms as you want at night, on private land. I coudl leglaly shoot all night on my land, although eventually the neighbors half a KM away might complain. Then again they might not...:lol:

Maybe the idea that night time hunting for predators is unethical or unsafe is just "old school" thinking?

Sideofabarn
01-18-2007, 05:26 PM
My two cents...
I grew up around farms in Australia, and usually the time predators such as foxes would hunt is at night. Certain areas suffered high lamb loss due to foxes. My own experience proved that there was not much chance that if a ewe dropped 2 or three lambs, that both (all) would survive. Unethical? Maybe, but this was strictly an issue of predator control. There is always an element of risk when one fires a rifle, and I would venture to say that not too many of us could be 110% certain of nothing dangerous happening after a projectle leaves an animal's body, day or night. My only defense is that I used the smallest calibre possilbe (.22lr) and kept my shots to under approx 50 yards, and I rarely had a bullet pass through and out the other side. I wouldn't hunt at night anymore, apart from the legality issue, my eyesight is starting to fade. I also tried to hunt foxes during the day, and was lucky enough to pop a couple, but by far the most effective method was at night. As well, it was more of the "done thing" there as opposed to here. Oh, and it was ALWAYS on our land, and not crown land.

SHAKER
01-18-2007, 05:31 PM
You still didn't answer my questions!!! Why??????

BCLongshot
01-18-2007, 05:43 PM
You know there are alot of righteous people here. I probably wouldn't be allowed to hang around these people.

If I buy 5000 acres and hunt at night on my property am I a loser ?

I probably wouldn't but if we had some of the right guys around it might be fun 1 night.

Ya fishing at night can be fun.

BCLongshot
01-18-2007, 05:44 PM
Gatehouse I'll invite you when I buy and we'll try it out.

300WM
01-18-2007, 05:50 PM
You know there are alot of righteous people here. I probably wouldn't be allowed to hang around these people.

If I buy 5000 acres and hunt at night on my property am I a loser ?

I probably wouldn't but if we had some of the right guys around it might be fun 1 night.

Ya fishing at night can be fun.

I think that it comes down to ethics. And I believe what some may perceive as ethical, others will not.

I still wouldn't feel comfortable knowing that I was unsure of what was behind/beside the said target.

Gateholio
01-18-2007, 05:50 PM
O.k........Had to think about this for a bit. For what reason would you want to shoot things at night? What would you achieve doing this? What's the motive?

The motive coudl be anyhting from predator control to just fun.

Apparently it is tremendous fun, very exhilirating to see just a set of eyeballs in the istance, and then close the gap to you to 100 yards or so, where you can shoot it. Many guys have a great time doing it.

Not only that, if you work during the day, you coudl come home, have dinner, and head out for some hunitng in the dark for a few hours, which beats watchign the news...:lol:

todbartell
01-18-2007, 05:51 PM
kinda reminds me of Crocodile Dundee, when the kangaroo shoots back! :lol:

an article I found

http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/nighthunt/nitehunt.htm

NEEHAMA
01-18-2007, 06:04 PM
for most of us hunting at night could be fun and safe. however if it were open to crown land i think we could see some trouble.

currently during daylight hours people shoot at things and don't always watch their backgrounds etc.(no huntbc members of corse) adding darkness could become unsafe for others.

if one was out on a ranch shooting at yotes in the dark. spank! you wing one, and your tromping around in the dark after it, you turn around a few times and see it , try another shot to finish it off and oops! now your shooting toward the highway? or a logging road off in the distance. or an old barn that burnt down in the fifties but is now home to a one legged man named willey who's is blind in one eye and talks with a lisp. and he doesn't care for big city living anymore so he pickles egg's and beans and sells them on the hwy for $2. a jar to make ends meet.

ok i got off topic a bit there but - if i'm walking back to my moose camp at dark and a yote runs across the road in front of me i don't want my partners to shoot at it and kill me! i don't want to be tanned or skinned and have my meat wasted! or fed to the food bank! or turned into pepperoni! i'm better than that damn it! probably a little gamey but i deserve better. hope they would do a up stew or a nice pot roast oud of me! just don't soake me in milk or any of that other weird shit you do to gamey meat! just merinade me a bit i'll be ok.

scoot
01-18-2007, 06:06 PM
Gate, let me be the devils advocate for a moment.

PERHAPS there are not stats on the safety of hunting at night. Private land or not, I believe the risks at hand are in the same ballpark. An example. Driving at night IS more dangerous than during the day when you think in terms of visibilty of corners, wildlife ect... Why would this be any different than in the bush shooting in the dark?
A peson could go out and shoot a 1000 yoties all at night over a period of time, but from my point of view, it is self explanitory that the risks are higher than they are in daylight especialy in higher human populated areas. Also I would not call these safety issues "grave" but definately of higher concern.
Safety issues asside, if one was to hunt at night, it is simply another hunting tactic to make a succesfull hunt, I would not call it Lazy.

boxhitch
01-18-2007, 07:39 PM
Hunting at night seems to be common in the States. Take a look at the large lineup of equip. available in the Cabelas catalogue, its listed for a reason !
Several european countries allow hunting at night, some with lights, some only with the very large optics that a re designed for using with little natural light. Look at the sizes of Zeiss, Swaro, riflescopes. They have a purpose ! But we know that these hunters are also educated, having to pass difficult tests to qualify for a license.
Hunting at night, in unpopulatied areas, may very well be more safe than in daylight hours, as there are likely less people in the outdoors. Unless there is a growop nearby, the woods are empty at night.
Common Sense says that a hunter should never be pulling the trigger on a target, without knowing what it is, and knowing what lies beyond. A few people on here seem to think that others do not possess Common Sense. They must travel in strange company.

scoot
01-18-2007, 08:15 PM
lets not bring the states into this picture (blind people hunting).:biggrin:
How can a hunter KNOW what is behind a target when light will only go so far or will not go around a bush, through grass. Peoples eyes play games on them in the dark. Just because some other countries practice this does not mean that we have to. So if you cannot see beyond your target, common sense shoud say don't do it. I do poses common sense thus I don't believe in hunting at night. I don't believe in this practice so now I hang with a "strange" group? :roll:

Trapper
01-18-2007, 08:17 PM
I teach kids wanting there hunting licence to know there target and what is BEYOND there target.Its only common sence why we shouldn't be shooting at night.

SHAKER
01-18-2007, 08:37 PM
Hey Gatehouse, Your probably the same kind of guy who could live with Every last Wolf, Coyote, Cougar, Bobcat, racoon ect. DEAD. If that's your goal then take my Coyote shoot'n .308 and put a bullet in everyone of my hounds heads. Cause I wouldn't the dogs or my rifle anymore. Seems like a waste of good sport to me. By the way would you be skin'n them yote's out or just recycle'n them for more yodedly bait?

todbartell
01-18-2007, 08:42 PM
I cannot speak for Gatehouse but I believe he just started a discussion on the subject and isnt personally going to hunt at night.

Your probably the same kind of guy who could live with Every last Wolf, Coyote, Cougar, Bobcat, racoon ect. DEAD

Gatehouse doesnt even hunt! no worries there :lol::lol:

boxhitch
01-18-2007, 08:58 PM
Just because some other countries practice this does not mean that we have to
Nobody 'has to', it should be a matter of choice.

A few people on here seem to think that others do not possess Common Sense. They must travel in strange company.

I do poses common sense thus I don't believe in hunting at night. I don't believe in this practice so now I hang with a "strange" group?

I think you have misread my post.

scoot
01-18-2007, 09:11 PM
Sorry if I misunderstood your wording.

just think that it should not be done at all. I don't want it to be a matter of choiceI don't think it should be done at all.

BCLongshot
01-18-2007, 09:18 PM
Oh man that was funny !

Neehama is for sure the site comedian.

I'm watching "Earl" right now and I know 1 thing I'll take JOY night huntin' I don't care what anybody says about ETHICS !!!!

scoot
01-18-2007, 09:24 PM
Move to PG, you'ed fit in great up here longshot.:smile:

Onesock
01-18-2007, 09:28 PM
I think somebody said on here there was a person killed in Ontario by a pitlamper, right Gatehouse, he spelled his name like you anyway. You seemed to be against hunting at night when the natives were allowed to do it, now you think may be OK. I don't want to see anyone shooting at night whether at coydogs or moose!

Will
01-18-2007, 09:46 PM
I don't have a Problem with it.....ethically or otherwise.

For "Pred Control" on Private Property I say Go to it..wait, that' Legal already ;)

As far as allowing it on Public lands during an open season ?...tough call.
Plenty of Folks out there during the daylight already that scare me, can't imagine them shooting at night :lol:

Not sure eitherway:| ....would love to hear or see some STATS on it from the places where it's Legal (such as Harvest stats, safety records etc)

Informed oppinions on the matter would help alot...Not just the "I don't like the thought of it so it shouldn't be allowed oppinions" :roll:

Barracuda
01-18-2007, 09:57 PM
I see a few potential issues with hunting at night but i also see some benifits. I would love to go coon hunting at night as would some other houndsmen i am sure. Predators at night would also be fun . I say given the right set of precautions it could be a viable alternative for folk stuck in day jobs .

Gateholio
01-18-2007, 10:17 PM
It appears that one ofthe cardinal rules of night hunitng (where it is allowed) is to check out int he daylight where you will be, and where your shooting lanes are.

It is not rocket science to figure this out, by using afew landmarks etc.

Also, much of it seems to be doen slightly elevated (from the back of a truck, in some sort of stand etc) so the bullets impact the ground.

Also, it des not apear that shots much over 100 yards are taken.

All these factors would GREATLY reduce the chances that an errant bullet woudl end up somewhere you don't want it.

Of course, if you had a hill behind your field of fire, the risk drops to nil, unless there is a deer walking past at 300 yards that is the UNLUCKIEST deer in the world...8-)

Night hunting on Crown land has it's own set of safety concerns in that the controls are prety much zero. On private land, you can control it.8-)

Gateholio
01-18-2007, 10:24 PM
Hey Gatehouse, Your probably the same kind of guy who could live with Every last Wolf, Coyote, Cougar, Bobcat, racoon ect. DEAD. If that's your goal then take my Coyote shoot'n .308 and put a bullet in everyone of my hounds heads. Cause I wouldn't the dogs or my rifle anymore. Seems like a waste of good sport to me. By the way would you be skin'n them yote's out or just recycle'n them for more yodedly bait?

You are about as ignorant as ignorant can be.

PS you may want to check out the rules here at HBC. Since you are new, I am sure we will be nice to you for a bit.:lol:

Barracuda
01-18-2007, 10:30 PM
I was pretty sure so i looked at the regs and it is allowed for racoons in ontario . Anyone know of anywhere else in Canada ?

scoot
01-18-2007, 10:34 PM
BClongshot's place

Gateholio
01-18-2007, 10:36 PM
I think somebody said on here there was a person killed in Ontario by a pitlamper, right Gatehouse, he spelled his name like you anyway. You seemed to be against hunting at night when the natives were allowed to do it, now you think may be OK. I don't want to see anyone shooting at night whether at coydogs or moose!

Your feeble attempts to twist my words are laughable.

You cite an incicedent on public land, on a road, in the USA, on the border of Ontario, where a native saw a man walking, thought it was a bear, and shot him.

I am talking about calling predators, on private land, in a much more controlled enviroment.

Gateholio
01-18-2007, 10:43 PM
One other point I shoudl make is that what I a talkign about is already 90% legal...

Under the Livestock Act a person may shoot predators at any time of day, in whatever season, with whatever aids (like a spotlight) he may have available, to protect his livestock.

And they are shooting at predators on PRIVATE land etc..

And if the livestock owner appointed you as his agent, you coudl do the same.

Only difference that I am making is calling them in.:lol:

It's been going on for about a century boys, it just hasn't been 'recreational"8-)

saan man
01-18-2007, 10:45 PM
good day folks, long time reader, first time poster. Before I express my informed opinion on night hunting in general, not just predators, I would like to say thanks to Marc for running a great site, but it would not be that way if there were not the contributions of some very knowledgeable outdoorsmen/women whose posts I've been reading here for awhile now.

First off, I am not against night hunting, predators or otherwise, but i am against UNSAFE hunting. Let me explain, hunting in general has it's inherant dangers, whether it's from weapon mishandling, poor equipment, unskilled shooter, poor location, just to name a few. If these things are done properly during the hunt, day or night, then a hunt can be successful. The night hunter has to take even more things into consideration too, as has been mentioned in previous posts regarding background, location/distance of prey, and especially visual awareness of the animal by the hunter, and one thing that hasn't been mentioned here or in the numerous pages on the Morris/Olson case is the danger of predators that are out there hunting at night as well, especially the big ones like grizzlies and wolves.

todbartell
01-18-2007, 11:05 PM
welcome to HBC, Saan Man :D

Albertacoyotecaller
01-18-2007, 11:11 PM
Gatehouse,

With all the positive responses here, I think it is a go!:lol: These guys were easy to convince:lol:

I have gone south of the border and night hunting for yotes and jacks. I always thought of myself as a safe, ethical hunter until this thread. I see no problem with it. Most states do not allow a free for all in night hunting. It is only for varmits. Most of these states still have plenty of game. It is not as easy as it seems. I have yet to hear of all the night hunters being killed off by carelessness.

I am all for it. I tried and enjoyed it. I will travel south again to do it. I only wish I could practice my unsafe, non ethical hunting in my own country.

Greg

StoneChaser
01-18-2007, 11:19 PM
Been there done that.... it's a great time!!!!!

I'd be all over hunting dogz in the night... put the hairs between the glowing green dots and squeeze.

Sign me up!

Gatehouse... when ya coming up this way to whack dogs?

Heading out for wolves on Saturday... have a smoking hot wolf kill (moose they killed on Wed) and another pack of 5 that I've patterend.

Get the air miles ticket and join me (daylight shooting only of course, but we'll start howling before dawn).

StoneChaser

StoneChaser
01-18-2007, 11:20 PM
Shaker... where is the challenge in shooting a critter out of a tree after your dogs did all the work?

You call that hunting?

Welcome to HBC!

StoneChaser

Gateholio
01-19-2007, 12:54 AM
How interesting it is to see some scream that "old school" thinking will be the death of BC hunting opportunity, and we need to change this way of thought, yet..these same people believe that we should not encourage other forms of hunting opportunity- simply because of thier own personal "old school" thinking...

Hmmmmmmm..........

Gateholio
01-19-2007, 12:59 AM
Been there done that.... it's a great time!!!!!

I'd be all over hunting dogz in the night... put the hairs between the glowing green dots and squeeze.

Sign me up!

Gatehouse... when ya coming up this way to whack dogs?

Heading out for wolves on Saturday... have a smoking hot wolf kill (moose they killed on Wed) and another pack of 5 that I've patterend.

Get the air miles ticket and join me (daylight shooting only of course, but we'll start howling before dawn).

StoneChaser

Well, I can't make it this Sat!!:lol:

But form my airmiles update, it appears that i can fly (return) anywhere in the world for free right now. ....So rather than go sit on a beach in Hawaii or Australia, I think I may as well just whip up to your area and do some shooting and have some fun. As much as I enjoy Mai Tais, I'm pretty hapy wiht a cold kokanee after a hunt. And it on;ly costs me a few miles!!

It's my super busy time of year, so Just gotta work out s9me details, and you will see me soon!!:lol:

Barracuda
01-19-2007, 01:49 AM
Shaker... where is the challenge in shooting a critter out of a tree after your dogs did all the work?

You call that hunting?

Welcome to HBC!

StoneChaser

:mad:

Sounds to me that you have chosen to remain unaware of the effort involved in raising training and hunting with dogs . It costs thousands of dollars in hounds,equipment and such not to mention the same in man hours to have and hunt with hounds . To hunt with dogs is simply another type of hunting like off of horseback ,calling or ambush etc . Coon hunting at night is an age old NA tradition and I know my wife and I have gotten alot of enjoyment chasing our flea hotels during the daytime and we both have always wanted to try a night hunt .

Your statement holds as much water as saying it is unfair to hunt an animal if you have to use a firearm.

Onesock
01-19-2007, 08:24 AM
No one twisted your words, its what you said. Last time i checked bear's were predators, and just because a native pulled the trigger....... I have called bears in with a predator call, therefore they are predators. Maybe we could do this night hunt around Whistler, just to see how you like bullets flying around your ears in the middle of the night. Oh yea, hunting out of the back of a truck at night. Woooheee, pass the moonshine and lets go to your sister's place!!!

StoneChaser
01-19-2007, 08:39 AM
:mad:

Sounds to me that you have chosen to remain unaware of the effort involved in raising training and hunting with dogs . It costs thousands of dollars in hounds,equipment and such not to mention the same in man hours to have and hunt with hounds . To hunt with dogs is simply another type of hunting like off of horseback ,calling or ambush etc . Coon hunting at night is an age old NA tradition and I know my wife and I have gotten alot of enjoyment chasing our flea hotels during the daytime and we both have always wanted to try a night hunt .

Your statement holds as much water as saying it is unfair to hunt an animal if you have to use a firearm.

Barracuda, I agree with you 100%... and it is no different than the statements Shaker is making about night hunting predators, I was simply trying to make a point that we all have our own ideas of "ethical" hunting be it w/rifles, archery, hounds, rangefinders.....

Im actually 100% for hound hunting... hoping to chase cats in the next few weeks!

StoneChaser

CanuckShooter
01-19-2007, 09:45 AM
All this thread needs now is a little politics and religion thrown in to really make it interesting......if it's unsafe to discharge your firearm in the dark..then why are co's and police officers permitted to do so? Is it because the government thinks they are the only ones capable of determining what is safe and what isn't?????

If safety was truly the driving factor behind outlawing night shooting...then why don't they do something about two lane highways...the ultimate insanity...all that separates several tonnes of moving machinery going in opposite directions is a painted line....

It seems that it's more about regulating every damned thing they can think of...than it is about safety!! Or is that just the anarchist in me showing?? LOL

Onesock
01-19-2007, 10:35 AM
Ever try to recover a wounded animal in the dark. Not alot of fun.

NEEHAMA
01-19-2007, 10:39 AM
i once got hit by a roman candle in the dark.

Rainwater
01-19-2007, 10:40 AM
You guys are just about to the garden!!!

BCLongshot
01-19-2007, 11:07 AM
Roman candles.............Definately unethical !!!

Gateholio
01-19-2007, 11:10 AM
No one twisted your words, its what you said. Last time i checked bear's were predators, and just because a native pulled the trigger....... I have called bears in with a predator call, therefore they are predators. Maybe we could do this night hunt around Whistler, just to see how you like bullets flying around your ears in the middle of the night. Oh yea, hunting out of the back of a truck at night. Woooheee, pass the moonshine and lets go to your sister's place!!!

Sure you twisted the words...But I guess it's a comprehension problem.

For some reason your comprehension skills are too lacking to understand that the fellow that mistook the man for a bear was on PUBLIC land, and we are discussing PRIVATE land. On PRIVATE land, there are more controls about who and what is in the area. Is that clear now?8-)

As for hunitng out of the back of the truck, what is the true difference between sitting in the back of a stationary truck in an elevated position, and sitting in a tree stand? In both cases you are sitting on a stand, in an elevated position.

I live about 50km away form Whistler Village, so I won't even hear your gunshots. Go for it!!:lol:

Rainwater
01-19-2007, 11:57 AM
The garden your gettin led to is right next to that private land.

Gateholio
01-19-2007, 12:14 PM
The garden your gettin led to is right next to that private land.

We are discussing nigth hunting on private land, but lets keep the acess fees and this thread seperate.:lol:

Onesock
01-19-2007, 12:17 PM
If you don't know the difference between sitting in a treestand and hunting out of the back of a truck you are the one with comprehension problems. Try shooting out of the back of a pickup now, off to jail. While you are at it see if fully automatic weapons could be used also.
Oh, I didn't know it was easier to identify your target on private land than it was to on public land. Pity the poor guy that stumbles across some guys farm land at night looking for a boost or tow job. I guess he should be shot as he was trespassing at night. Won't be wasting anymore of my time on this rediculous post.

Gateholio
01-19-2007, 12:44 PM
If you don't know the difference between sitting in a treestand and hunting out of the back of a truck you are the one with comprehension problems. Try shooting out of the back of a pickup now, off to jail. While you are at it see if fully automatic weapons could be used also.
Oh, I didn't know it was easier to identify your target on private land than it was to on public land. Pity the poor guy that stumbles across some guys farm land at night looking for a boost or tow job. I guess he should be shot as he was trespassing at night. Won't be wasting anymore of my time on this rediculous post.

You are grasping at straws wiht your arguments, bringing nothing to the debate, but here,, I'll try to spell it out for you...again...

Shooting out of the back of a truck is indeed illegal at this time. However, your earlier comments insinuated that anyone doing this was clearly an inbred drunk. I pointed out that the act of sitting in one stationary perch has no practical difference than sitting in another. You know this to be true, since you could not counter it wiht an effective argument, instead choosing to cry "it's illegal":roll: Laws can be changed, it is done frequently.

Your other argument is based on complete ignorance. Your odds of getting shot because your car broke down are sky high...You take amuch greater risk walking along the road after your car breaks down. Maybe you have evidence to the contrary, but I can find none that suggests that stranded motorists have ever been in danger form niht hunting. Do you have any evidence liek this?

Private land makes for MUCH less risk and MUCH tighter controls. Besides, night hunters must be certain to identify thier target- just liek in the daytime- and shots are close.

they aren't just randomly shooting into the night. although randomly shooting into the night is not against the law....:lol:

Rainwater
01-19-2007, 01:38 PM
I guess your still not gettin it, the GARDEN PATH that you are leading us down with this post, guys keep following it. I am still assuming you are playing the devils advocate with this and can't be serious, and my reference if I have to explain refers to the PRIVATE LAND night hunting spot you profess to be safe that is right beside someones garden, also private land, where a guy might be picking squash for his dinner after dark and get whacked by some crazed coon hunter with a million candle watt light.

NEEHAMA
01-19-2007, 01:51 PM
HEY WAIT A SECOND! i had squash for dinner last night! am i at risk?!

Gateholio
01-19-2007, 01:52 PM
I guess your still not gettin it, the GARDEN PATH that you are leading us down with this post, guys keep following it. I am still assuming you are playing the devils advocate with this and can't be serious, and my reference if I have to explain refers to the PRIVATE LAND night hunting spot you profess to be safe that is right beside someones garden, also private land, where a guy might be picking squash for his dinner after dark and get whacked by some crazed coon hunter with a million candle watt light.

Hopw many times has something like this happened in the areas that allow night hunting?

Do you have any facts to back up your assertion that what we are discssing is unsafe?

Gateholio
01-19-2007, 01:53 PM
HEY WAIT A SECOND! i had squash for dinner last night! am i at risk?!

Possibly. IIt depends if Rianwater can provide volumes of statistics to show that you are....:lol:

Gateholio
01-19-2007, 02:57 PM
Interestingly...

26 of 50 states allow some form of night hunting.

None of them appear to be having human bodies piling up in stacks...:lol:

Will
01-19-2007, 04:10 PM
Same Old argument.........same Old mentality that brought US the Registration system, BLAZE orange hunting attire etc. etc.
It Might be Unsafe so Lets BAN it rather then ALLOW the Responsible citizens the right to partake in something because we FEAR a few may abuse it :|

Here's my take.......
You still NEED to confirm WHAT the HELL it is you are shooting at, DAY or NIGHT !

The SPOTLIGHT is used to Confirm this.......Nobody is talking about blasting away into shadows hoping to hit something ! :rolleyes:

Rainwater
01-19-2007, 04:26 PM
You guys are way off base agreeing on this topic. Americans spear bullfrogs and pay $40,000 US to kill our sheep, theres your answer. I talked to a few of our local natives and they aren't even in favour of night hunting.

Gateholio
01-19-2007, 04:42 PM
You guys are way off base agreeing on this topic. Americans spear bullfrogs and pay $40,000 US to kill our sheep, theres your answer. I talked to a few of our local natives and they aren't even in favour of night hunting.

Translation:

I don't have any valid arguments, nor any facts to back up my safety concerns, so instead, I will attempt to insult Americans, especially those that have more money than I do.

:lol:

Rainwater
01-19-2007, 04:44 PM
I don't have any stats that repeatedly poking myself in the eye with a pencil will kill me either, it's commons sense. Go back to your CORE manual Gatehouse. If there was any Amercians insulted, too bad.

Gateholio
01-19-2007, 04:51 PM
I don't have any stats that repeatedly poking myself in the eye with a pencil will kill me either, it's commons sense. Go back to your CORE manual Gatehouse. If there was any Amercians insulted, too bad.

Translation:

I don't know anything about Night hunting, I havent' bothered to attempt to educate myself about an activity that is safely done in many parts of the world, including Europe, North America, South America, Africa and Australia, but I knwo it's bad and unsafe, and I want you all to agree wiht me that it is not safe, just because I say so.

Rainwater
01-19-2007, 05:06 PM
Sounds good to me! I so glad I'm sthmart!

Will
01-19-2007, 05:21 PM
http://www.angelfire.com/va/Visigoth/images/album1.jpg

nativehunter
01-19-2007, 07:22 PM
Found a site that has stories of hunting accidents. I wonder how many of these accidents were at night compared to day? :| Some of them were really sad, kids getting shot by accident. I didn't notice any that were night hunting accidents.
http://www.all-creatures.org/cash/accident-center.html

ruger#1
01-19-2007, 07:43 PM
how many of those deaths were caused by drinking and hunting. im not in favor of night hunting. and some people are, big deal.

SHAKER
01-19-2007, 08:09 PM
You know I'm sorry I ever jumped into this thread. I will admire your effort to try and get something like this passed, if you try. But you won't see me doing it anytime. Have fun! and good luck to ya. Getting game laws in changed is lots of work, but hey if you got lots of time why not?

pogo2
01-19-2007, 09:08 PM
Many states (and all of australia) allow predators such as bobcats and coyotes (or dingos) to be hunted at night wiht the aid of a spotlight.

Most of this sort of hunitng takes place on private property, but not all of it does.

All due respect, the lawful discharge of firearms at night is not something I would ever support. Firstly, I'd have to sleep with one eye open. Haven't had to do that since my last ambush. Frankly, the thought of high velocity, small calibre bullets whistling around at night during hunting season makes me uncomfortable. Dimes to doughnuts the bullets used can fly a lot farther than the lanterns can shine.

I believe Canada takes pride in making it's own decisions rather than mimick other states and usually has more stringent regulations for good reason. Lets leave the night stuff for those who really have to do it.

Cheers.

Gateholio
01-19-2007, 09:47 PM
[QUOTE=pogo2]All due respect, the lawful discharge of firearms at night is not something I would ever support.

You don't have to support it, but it is 100% lawful. There are no laws that prohibit shooting at night, specifically. Sure , if you perforate someones house, you will be charged wiht reckless use etc, but the act of shooting at nigth is not necessarily reckless, and it is done frequently.

Firstly, I'd have to sleep with one eye open. Haven't had to do that since my last ambush. Frankly, the thought of high velocity, small calibre bullets whistling around at night during hunting season makes me uncomfortable. Dimes to doughnuts the bullets used can fly a lot farther than the lanterns can shine.

How often do you camp out in the middle of private property, with zero knowledge of what activities may be going on?

I believe Canada takes pride in making it's own decisions rather than mimick other states and usually has more stringent regulations for good reason. Lets leave the night stuff for those who really have to do it.

there is no shame in making a decision that others have made, if it is beneficial to you. heck, i wasn' the first guy to buy RRSP's or investment real estate, and I don't feel ashamed of that. It's a good idea, so why not learn form others?:lol:

If you have some hard facts that suggest that what i have described is actually hazardous, please post them, I am very interested in seeing them.:|

Gateholio
01-19-2007, 09:59 PM
You know I'm sorry I ever jumped into this thread. I will admire your effort to try and get something like this passed, if you try. But you won't see me doing it anytime. Have fun! and good luck to ya. Getting game laws in changed is lots of work, but hey if you got lots of time why not?

it is unlikely to get passed, as there are too many people that have false assumptions regarding firearms and safety. They are not much different than the "gun control" lobbyists, who believe that firearms laws keep criminals from misusing them.:lol:

StoneChaser
01-19-2007, 10:27 PM
Honestly the person most at risk during night hunting would be Gatehouse and anybody near him.

Imagine the dim lantern light as you're panning the area ready for a predator and WHAM... you're face to face with a 6'8" Saskratch!

Could be hard on the ticker!

BTW...dragging Mark's azz out of bed for a 4:30 AM departure... stay tuned for wolf pics Sat PM (if things go well... here's hoping).

StoneChaser

todbartell
01-19-2007, 10:54 PM
hey, you call me Todd, got it? :mrgreen:

dana
01-19-2007, 10:58 PM
Seems Gatehouse has got to be better at selling his argument don't ya think? If he can't pursuad a bunch of rednecks that his idea is 'Great' how's he going to get Victoria to buy in? :) :) Must be postseason, the time of useless posts where people argue over the stupidest things. Gate, why don't ya sit down and think of another great thread to bore us with eh?

Onesock
01-19-2007, 11:08 PM
Obviously, by the attitudes of most folk on here, moderators are NOT all knowing Gatehouse. Somehow you may think I have twisted these words of yours here to. Adios.

scoot
01-19-2007, 11:13 PM
:) Must be postseason, the time of useless posts where people argue over the stupidest things. Gate, why don't ya sit down and think of another great thread to bore us with eh?
Yup, but it's somethin to do, and I love seeing what people have to say about the stupid posts.8-)

StoneChaser
01-19-2007, 11:14 PM
hey, you call me Todd, got it? :mrgreen:

Get to bed....4:00 AM comes early, and you'd better be sober (or damn close) :lol:

StoneChaser
01-19-2007, 11:16 PM
Seems Gatehouse has got to be better at selling his argument don't ya think? If he can't pursuad a bunch of rednecks that his idea is 'Great' how's he going to get Victoria to buy in? :) :) Must be postseason, the time of useless posts where people argue over the stupidest things. Gate, why don't ya sit down and think of another great thread to bore us with eh?

Or we could sit around holding hands singing Kumbaya... I'm going hunting in the AM, gotta get to bed.

99.99% of hunters don't have what it takes to hunt wolves8-)

todbartell
01-19-2007, 11:50 PM
well, sometimes .001% shoot a raggy 60 lb'r in the summer by chance 8-)

Gateholio
01-20-2007, 12:01 AM

Noone is forcing you to read anything- so if you don't like the topic, you are more than welcome to not read it.8-)

Interestingly, during a recent conversation with a biologist,, he mentioned that he woudl like it if more hunters targeted predators, such as coyotes, wolves and cougars, since they all reduce deer populations. I know you target couars, but why woudl any serious ungulate hunter not be interested in reducing more predators?

BTW. Please start a thread that is interesting. Dying to see that...8-)

Gateholio
01-20-2007, 12:03 AM
Obviously, by the attitudes of most folk on here, moderators are NOT all knowing Gatehouse. Somehow you may think I have twisted these words of yours here to. Adios.

it has aready been established- by me- that Mods here are certainly not all knowing...Once again, your comprehension skills are shown to be lacking8-)

PS you said you were finished wiht this thread at least one page ago..yet here you are, saying goodbye again. If you want to discuss, then do it. if not, stop taking up bandwidth with useless posts.:lol:

Gateholio
01-20-2007, 12:07 AM
Or we could sit around holding hands singing Kumbaya... I'm going hunting in the AM, gotta get to bed.

99.99% of hunters don't have what it takes to hunt wolves8-)

Attaboy...you are correct. Few people can say that they went out, targeted wolves and shot one. Most wolf kills are by chance...8)

pogo2
01-20-2007, 12:22 AM
http://www.albertaoutdoorsmen.ca/huntingregs/
[quote]

Maybe it's different in B.C. Check out "General Prohibitions" #11. Maybe you're right. No shame in adopting somebody else's idea if it's a benefit. I think I'll suggest that. You know. Sometimes the most difficult thing for legislators and law makers to do is protect the public from itself. Enough people have been shot in broad flippin' daylight. Never mind what the toll might be at night. But, oh...wait a minute. In your previous post it sounds like you'd rather see a pile of bodies before it's clear to you there is additional and unacceptable risk to hunting at night.

I don't have any evidence that hunting at night is dangerous any more than I have evidence that driving my car at night with only a flashlight is dangerous. Thank goodness nobody has to go out and prove that it's really okay. There's not a doubt in my mind that you and others would be perfectly safe at night but too many would not be. How about this? The burden of proof is with those who would like to alter the law. If you make a list of pros and cons about night hunting and the pros outweigh the cons, not just in number but in gravity, I will support night hunting. So show me. Otherwise I'm inclined to favour the existing law.

I was out at the shooting range the other day. The last bullet I shot would have totally ignored any property lines. No matter what I would have prefered. Maybe if people who want to shoot at night on their own property put up something like the golf driving ranges do to stop the errant shots, other people would be okay with it.

I agree with some of the other posters. There is also an ethical aspect to it as well. It's not fair chase. There's also a political aspect. Somewhere there's a minister responsible who does not want to be embarrassed.

Sometimes it just sucks to have to live with other people. Good luck.

"It aint the arrow. It's the Indian." - Lee Trevino, sometime in the '70's.
You don't have to support it, but it is 100% lawful. There are no laws that prohibit shooting at night, specifically. Sure , if you perforate someones house, you will be charged wiht reckless use etc, but the act of shooting at nigth is not necessarily reckless, and it is done frequently.

How often do you camp out in the middle of private property, with zero knowledge of what activities may be going on?

there is no shame in making a decision that others have made, if it is beneficial to you. heck, i wasn' the first guy to buy RRSP's or investment real estate, and I don't feel ashamed of that. It's a good idea, so why not learn form others?:lol:

If you have some hard facts that suggest that what i have described is actually hazardous, please post them, I am very interested in seeing them.:|

Gateholio
01-20-2007, 12:34 AM
Honestly- All kidding aside-

if someone can find some evidence that night hunting for predators has some serious safety risks, please post it.

Likewise, several people have mentioned that they deem it "unethical" and it woudl be interesting to hear 8why* they deem it such.

Does anyone begrudge the guy that shoots a predator at night to protect his livestock? Because it happens daily, all acros our great country...From some of the posts here, it woudl seem that this guy is unsafe. yet we don't hear much about farmers/ranchers and a human body count...

Gateholio
01-20-2007, 01:09 AM
Maybe it's different in B.C. Check out "General Prohibitions" #11. Maybe you're right. No shame in adopting somebody else's idea if it's a benefit. I think I'll suggest that

However, there is no restriction on a person protecting his livestock from pedators at night. Check our Albertas livestock Act. i think ou will find that it supercedes the hunting regs, and bingo! You have shootig at night...

You know. Sometimes the most difficult thing for legislators and law makers to do is protect the public from itself.

IMHO it is wrong for lawmakers to protect us from ourselves, butthat is a different discussion. For instance, I dont need a lawmaker to tlel me that oral sex is illegal. Get it?:lol:

Enough people have been shot in broad flippin' daylight. Never mind what the toll might be at night. But, oh...wait a minute. In your previous post it sounds like you'd rather see a pile of bodies before it's clear to you there is additional and unacceptable risk to hunting at night.

Please prove this statement. if you can't back it up wiht FACTS, it is simply BS. I can prove with FACTS that 26 states (many wiht FAR higher population density than BC) allow some sort of night hunting, and are not believers in the "inherent' risks of night hunting, they simply ask that hunters use caution- same as daylight.

I don't have any evidence that hunting at night is dangerous any more than I have evidence that driving my car at night with only a flashlight is dangerous. Thank goodness nobody has to go out and prove that it's really okay.

That is ridiculous. It is easy to prove that driving a car at night wiht no headlights and only a flashlight is dangerous. Poor lighting and visbility has caused numerous car crashes. You can prove it to yourself by trying it out. Kill your lights and drive a km with aflashlight.

There's not a doubt in my mind that you and others would be perfectly safe at night but too many would not be

There is not a doub in my mind that I am a safe driver and a safe shooter. You are suspect though, since I dont' know you. Chances are, you are a poor driver and an unsafe shooter.

Sounds like a silly anti gun argument..."Well< i am sure you are fine, but what about those NUTCASES wiht semi auto shotguns???":lol:

How about this? The burden of proof is with those who would like to alter the law. If you make a list of pros and cons about night hunting and the pros outweigh the cons, not just in number but in gravity, I will support night hunting. So show me. Otherwise I'm inclined to favour the existing law.

Burden of proof? Fine. I have not been able to find ANYONE at ANYTIME being injured because of calling and shooting predators, at night, on private land, using lights.

I was out at the shooting range the other day. The last bullet I shot would have totally ignored any property lines. No matter what I would have prefered. Maybe if people who want to shoot at night on their own property put up something like the golf driving ranges do to stop the errant shots, other people would be okay with it.

Maybe...just MAYBE....people that wish to hunt at night on thier own property woudl have a decent idea about what hapens on thier place, and where buildings/livestock etc are. I sure as hell know where I can shoot 24/7, withotu killing my livestock.:lol:

I
agree with some of the other posters. There is also an ethical aspect to it as well. It's not fair chase. There's also a political aspect. Somewhere there's a minister responsible who does not want to be embarrassed.

Please explain your ethical concerns.

Sometimes it just sucks to have to live with other people. Good luck.

And sometimes it sucks to have your beliefs handed to you and someone say "If you cannot substantiate them, they are just more BS, handed down"

huntwriter
01-20-2007, 01:16 AM
There I open my mouth and say night hunting is very safe, especially when spot lighting.

Now before anybody jumps up and comes looking for me to skin me alive, hear me out.:lol:

Many moons ago, when I lived in the U.S.A. I used to do quite a bit of night hunting with a spotlight. We went after coyotes and raccoons. Rarely did I feel more safe then on those nights. The reason. Every hunter uses a spotlight. Spotlights can bee seen for a long way at night, every other hutner in the fild can see you and you can see them clear as a bell. Only an utter fool would shoot in the direction of another light.:wink:

Ethics came up too. Here is my take on "ethics". There is nothing unethical about spotlight hunting at night. With their excellent eyesight, hearing and sense of smell the coyotes are still having a huge advantage over us humans. Anybody that has hunted coyotes for a year or two knows how smart these critters are and how fast they figure our feeble attempts to kill them out. Besides, most states that permit night hunting have strict laws in that respect that a hunter is not permitted to blind the animal by shining directly in its eyes.

As usual, I would say to each his or her own. You like night hunting and its legal go ahead and have some fun. If you do not like it then don’t do it. Nobody is forcing you at gunpoint. Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of live?:wink:

Gateholio
01-20-2007, 01:27 AM
There I open my mouth and say night hunting is very safe, especially when spot lighting.

Now before anybody jumps up and comes looking for me to skin me alive, hear me out.:lol:

Many moons ago, when I lived in the U.S.A. I used to do quite a bit of night hunting with a spotlight. We went after coyotes and raccoons. Rarely did I feel more safe then on those nights. The reason. Every hunter uses a spotlight. Spotlights can bee seen for a long way at night, every other hutner in the fild can see you and you can see them clear as a bell. Only an utter fool would shoot in the direction of another light.:wink:

Ethics came up too. Here is my take on "ethics". There is nothing unethical about spotlight hunting at night. With their excellent eyesight, hearing and sense of smell the coyotes are still having a huge advantage over us humans. Anybody that has hunted coyotes for a year or two knows how smart these critters are and how fast they figure our feeble attempts to kill them out. Besides, most states that permit night hunting have strict laws in that respect that a hunter is not permitted to blind the animal by shining directly in its eyes.

As usual, I would say to each his or her own. You like night hunting and its legal go ahead and have some fun. If you do not like it then don’t do it. Nobody is forcing you at gunpoint. Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of live?:wink:

An interesting post form someone that actually has experience wiht night hunintg.

I assume that when you were out hunting predators at night, you also shot many humans and livestock by mistake? From many of our posters on this thread , it woudl seem IMPOSSIBLE not to do so.:lol:

huntwriter
01-20-2007, 02:00 AM
:lol:LOL, Gatehouse. You bet we did, dead bodies and Holsteins left right and center. There where piles of them everywhere.:twisted: Okay I’ll quit the BS, someone actually may believe that. LOL:lol:

Obviously, you’re going to apply the same firearm safety measures as you would in daylight. Do not shoot at an unidentified target. Don’t shoot toward houses and streets. And of course do not shoot at light. In addition most hunters wear reflective vests. We used to organize the whole affair like a deer drive where every hunter knew where the others are.

Of course there is the argument that some hunters might not play according to the rules. I am sure that there are one or two. But that’s just a sad fact of live in everything we do and wherever we go. But this sad fact of life should not be a reason to look to the government and basically beg them to make more laws and shorten the leash even more to protect us from ourselves.

Although, I am convinced the government would only be too happy to oblige and turn us all into brainless mush heads.:lol:

Gateholio
01-20-2007, 02:12 AM
Huntwriter..i assume that you are not counting the NUMEROUS stranded motorists that you gunned down?:lol:

Okay- so you are saying - Night hunters need to :

Not shoot at an unidentified target

Don't shoot at buildings

Use caution

And..there may be poachers out there...

hmm/...sounds alot like virtually any hunting.:lol:

Rod
01-20-2007, 02:31 AM
Then there is the "I was just hunting coyotes" excuse that will be used by every deer/moose/elk poacher in the province. The predator population probably won't suffer from night hunting but do you think the big game herds could handle more poaching than they do now?

Seeing someone with a spotlight shining in game areas is pretty much guaranteed to lead to a report to a CO as it stands now but they would simply be overwhelmed with calls or people would be less inclined to report it if night hunting for predators was going on.

boxhitch
01-20-2007, 02:36 AM
Here, here. My point of view on all this, is that we should have the choice whether to hunt at night or not, to protect property, and/or livelihood. enuff of being legislated and controlled, beyond reason. We are intelligent human beings with common sense, for the most part. We should be able to make our own choices.
There is no doubt that hunting at night is generally safe, given the right circumstances. Maybe I'm a little casual about it, but when I hear a gunshot in our rural community, the first thing I consider is that the neighbor is after a pest, not that a crackhous is being taken down. Othes folk may have reason for being m,ore paranoid. I say 'to each his own'.

Gateholio
01-20-2007, 02:39 AM
Then there is the "I was just hunting coyotes" excuse that will be used by every deer/moose/elk poacher in the province. The predator population probably won't suffer from night hunting but do you think the big game herds could handle more poaching than they do now?

Seeing someone with a spotlight shining in game areas is pretty much guaranteed to lead to a report to a CO as it stands now but they would simply be overwhelmed with calls or people would be less inclined to report it if night hunting for predators was going on.

Poachers are criminals. There is no doubt that the will ply their trade regardless. Do youthink the Hells Angels registered thier guns when it became law?8-)

There is notign stopping a CO from checking spotlighting....

Puting a law in place to restrict normal, law abiding citizens has never shown any results when it comes to criminals doing thier thing.

huntwriter
01-20-2007, 02:48 AM
Huntwriter..i assume that you are not counting the NUMEROUS stranded motorists that you gunned down?

Okay- so you are saying - Night hunters need to :

Not shoot at an unidentified target

Don't shoot at buildings

Use caution

And..there may be poachers out there...

hmm/...sounds alot like virtually any hunting.:lol:
LOL. You know I clean forgot to mention the "NUMEROUS stranded motorists".:lol:

I also forgot to mention other important precautions - It’s Friday evening, I had a delicious dinner and two glasses of wine – Am I forgiven?:lol:

We only go hunting on land we're familiar with and before the night hunt we go and see the land in daylight and make the plan for the night hunt. We also speak to the landowner to get informed of where the cattle are, if any. The shooting takes usually place from elevations such as the back of the pickup truck. We used to mount shooting benches in the bed of the truck - very comfortable - and the lights where mounted on top of the truck cabin with the headlights on. One would have to be blind not to see such a set up at night.

Another method we used involved treestands, shooting toward hillsides and other structures that prevented the bullets from flying to far. Some hunters mounted night vision scopes onto the rifles, others had stong battery lights - minimum 1 to 2 million candle power. Last but not least. We never shot at a set of shiny eyes. We waited until we could actually see the whole animal in the light beam. It’s the law.

In short we used simple good old commonsense and did our level best to make it safe for everybody. Even if the anti gun lobby and animal rights folks keep telling us that we're a bunch slobs. We're not. Don't believe what they say about us hunters.:lol:

huntwriter
01-20-2007, 02:59 AM

I am not so sure about that Rod. Poachers are lonely creatures they do not like the company of others. In fact American states that have night hunting have less of a poaching problem then those states that do not have night hunting. Then there is also the fact that the landowner has given permission to hunt on his land at night and thus he will know or the shots he hears are from his guests or form a poacher and act accordingly.

Gateholio
01-20-2007, 03:11 AM
Here, here. My point of view on all this, is that we should have the choice whether to hunt at night or not, to protect property, and/or livelihood. enuff of being legislated and controlled, beyond reason. We are intelligent human beings with common sense, for the most part. We should be able to make our own choices.
There is no doubt that hunting at night is generally safe, given the right circumstances. Maybe I'm a little casual about it, but when I hear a gunshot in our rural community, the first thing I consider is that the neighbor is after a pest, not that a crackhous is being taken down. Othes folk may have reason for being m,ore paranoid. I say 'to each his own'.

I am aghast!!

it appears that you believe that people could actually >>>>THINK FOR THEMSELVES......without government intrvention??? :lol:

I am the same. When I hear a gunshot, Ijudt think it is someone controling predators etc.

My neighbors are used to gunshots at my place, since I shot alot, working up loads etc.

When I shoot day/night, I shoot into a hill behind my house. So far, no standed motorists have been killed, since both of them in 20 years have walked up the driveway...:lol:

SHAKER
01-20-2007, 11:55 AM
it is unlikely to get passed, as there are too many people that have false assumptions regarding firearms and safety. They are not much different than the "gun control" lobbyists, who believe that firearms laws keep criminals from misusing them.:lol:

I find that hard to believe you can compare normal hunters, and granny robbing scuz-bags in the same sentence. You definatly stirred up some interesting conversation with this one. Sure is some different out-looks on this that's for sure.

Gateholio
01-20-2007, 12:27 PM
I find that hard to believe you can compare normal hunters, and granny robbing scuz-bags in the same sentence. You definatly stirred up some interesting conversation with this one. Sure is some different out-looks on this that's for sure.

Well, I am really comparing the mentality that some people have. Despite evidence to the contrary, they continue to believe something-- because they have *decided* that it is true.:lol:

I'm not sure where you got granny robbing out of that statement, though:confused:

huntwriter
01-20-2007, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by Gatehouse
it is unlikely to get passed, as there are too many people that have false assumptions regarding firearms and safety. They are not much different than the "gun control" lobbyists, who believe that firearms laws keep criminals from misusing them.

Originally Posted by SHAKER
Do I miss something? Because I fail to see where Gatehouse compares “normal hunters” with “granny robbing scuz-bags”. I read the sentence twice and still can’t find it.:lol: Maybe I am getting old or somebody tries to stir the pot.:wink:

RiverOtter
01-20-2007, 05:08 PM
As a trapper, I pop lots of caps at night. In all honesty, to me it is no different than going out hunting on a foggy day or in a snow storm. A little common sense goes a long way and anyone who would make me nervous shooting at night would more than likely make me just as nervous in the light of day. Further, if there was a fragmenting bullet restriction to eliminate deflections, I can't see a real big issue.

Night time shooting as a predator control tool makes alot of sense, in terms of effectiveness on the predator in question. The mature dominant predators are more active at night and they are also the most efficient killers of game/livestock.

The biggest problem I see here, is Canadians that are so used to the government protecting us from ourselves that any activity out of the "norm" is unthinkable.

RO

Will
01-20-2007, 05:24 PM
The biggest problem I see here, is Canadians that are so used to the government protecting us from ourselves that any activity out of the "norm" is unthinkable.
AMEN ! :lol:

Pete
02-10-2007, 07:17 PM
Hey RO where you trapping?

TOP_PREDATOR
02-10-2007, 07:56 PM
Interesting thread:lol: here in New Zealand it is illegal to discharge a firearm on public land during the hours of darkness.

But on private land we can spotlight and shoot all game animals other than game birds,yes we can shoot deer,pigs and any other animals at night.

I mainly use 12ga and 22 magnum at night for rabbits and possums,wallbies and feral catsi have used centrefire rifles at night for deer,mainly deer that have escaped for nearby deer farms,its not hunting,its pest control.

Small animals like rabbits and possums are not classed as game animals here,they just pests to be killed on sight.

It is also legal to shoot all animals other than game birds from a helicopter:icon_frow

RiverOtter
02-11-2007, 11:02 AM
Pete,

The valley between Coldstream Ranch and Lumby.

What are your coyotes like this year, quality wise?

RO

Hooked
02-11-2007, 11:55 AM
RO,

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I heard that Coldstream Ranch completely closed down access a couple of years ago to the small lake (I think it's Deep Lake) that you used to access from Kal Lake Prov. Park or from the ranch's main entrance. Do you know if this is true?

Thanks,

Brian

RiverOtter
02-11-2007, 01:13 PM
Brian,

I'm not sure, but it wouldn't surprise me. I wouldn't hold it against the ranch if they did, there is a $h1t load of goons around the Vernon/Lavington area that think its cool to set fire and destroy stuff. Quite frankly, the total lack of respect shown for wilderness areas by some people is sickening, to say the least.

RO

Pete
02-11-2007, 01:34 PM
Coyotes in the bottom valley have lots of burrs and a lot of them are red bellied and are not of the greatest of color. There is no comparison with the coyotes that are taken up high on the plateau. Clear full coats with white bellies. How did you make out this year?

Pete
02-11-2007, 01:46 PM
Brian,

I'm not sure, but it wouldn't surprise me. I wouldn't hold it against the ranch if they did, there is a $h1t load of goons around the Vernon/Lavington area that think its cool to set fire and destroy stuff. Quite frankly, the total lack of respect shown for wilderness areas by some people is sickening, to say the least.

RO
RO You are perfectly correct. A few people spoiled it for everyone. I know for a fact that in one weekend alone the Ranch pulled out 2 full truck loads of garbage from the lake as aftermath from parties. And it is not the responsible folks that are doing this. They are also running through the cultivated lands on dirt bikes, ATV's and 4x4s leaving the gates open or cutting fences so the cows get out or indiscrimately killing wildlife and just leaving it. On one occasion in the middle of fire season .AUG., they even left a camp fire burning at the lake and it was just pure luck that one of the cowboys spotted it and with the help of the fire dept. the ranch crew and Forestry they were able to catch it before it ran up on to the king Eddy range. No wonder the ranch shut the Deep lake down to everyone and put out a Range Patrol.

Pete
02-11-2007, 02:55 PM
RO,

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I heard that Coldstream Ranch completely closed down access a couple of years ago to the small lake (I think it's Deep Lake) that you used to access from Kal Lake Prov. Park or from the ranch's main entrance. Do you know if this is true?

Thanks,

Brian
Hi Brian Sorry I didn't respond to you direct. I included in in the reply to RO. Deep Lake is in a Beautiful spot. It has many unique features foremost of coure is the amount of Rattlesnakes and of course the Fishing. Hopefully once things get under control the ranch will once again open the area on a limited bases for fishing. Because of the amount of cows and the human activity on the ranch it is still closed to hunting.
Cheers
Pete

RiverOtter
02-11-2007, 08:27 PM
Lots of mange. I have put very little effort into coyotes this season due to the poor coats. I have also noticed a sharp decline in coyote sign on my line over the past few years.

RO

Hooked
02-11-2007, 09:32 PM
Ro & Pete: Thanks for the info. The trend seems to be more and more idiots out there showing blatant disrespect and disregard for the privledges that many of us are grateful to have.

I've fished Deep Lake a few times in the past and it was always my favorite around May. The short hike in and the ability to flyfish from shore made it a great day out for me. I'm glad that the ranch is taking the abuse seriously and have established a range patrol to keep those SOBs out of there.

Brian

Pete
02-12-2007, 07:38 PM
Lots of mange. I have put very little effort into coyotes this season due to the poor coats. I have also noticed a sharp decline in coyote sign on my line over the past few years.

RO
RO Sorry to hijack this thread again. I am going to up and post on the Coyote thread. hope to see you there :)
Pete

scotty30-06
10-04-2016, 03:30 AM
Sorry guys to bring up an old thread....and no I'm not looking for opinions....just facts.....is it legal to bow hunt coyotes on private land at night?

Spy
10-04-2016, 08:09 AM
No its not legal, but should be.

10-04-2016, 08:28 AM
Shoot shovel shut up. Not trying to promote illegal activity here but the province appears to be doing almost nothing in regards to predator management and control. That said they have allowed FN to shoot firearms at night while harvesting big game . Which in my opinion it is off the charts . None the less, The province has granted our keepers if the land rights to shoot at night. Pitch Black Out, that makes sense doesnt it ? So your asking if you can shoot a yote at night with a bow ..... yes it is illegal but ......... if this is for farm or live stock control, if caught by officials IMO ..... See YA in court

One law law for all, across the board. This shooting game at night by FN has GOT TO STOP ! things would be a whole lot different for game populations, management and safety.

You wonder wheres all the games gone, at night when the wildlife is so vulnerable, night time shooting harvesting IMO by FN and others is HUGE. It has to stop !

CT

tipper
10-04-2016, 08:35 AM
Shoot shovel shut up. The province has granted our keepers if the land rights to shoot at night. See YA in court.

One law law for all, across the board.

CT Yes is that still with a handmade torch? LOL

Surrey Boy
10-04-2016, 09:27 AM
Sorry guys to bring up an old thread....and no I'm not looking for opinions....just facts.....is it legal to bow hunt coyotes on private land at night?

Hunting at night is illegal. Pest control is legal. Shooting at night is legal if done safely.

Xenomorph
10-04-2016, 10:09 AM
Hunting at night is illegal. Pest control is legal. Shooting at night is legal if done safely.

Curious where I could get more info on that.

For the sake of the argument, I agree with predator management at night.

Pro:
It's not lazy, as mentioned, you're out in the bitter cold, walking around, or calling, or ...
Winter available time is short, a lot more people would go out and camp, sleep as needed and just hammer down wolves, yotes and so on, if light wasn't a defining factor
As far as safety concerns go, how many people do you know hike in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere. As long the shooter is the responsible kind and not taking ridiculous shots I see absolute ZERO issues with this.

Cons:
I'm sorry, I can't think of any "logical" ones.

scotty30-06
10-04-2016, 11:53 AM
Well a friend has a brutal coyote problem....I have permission for my crossbow....just seeing if I could hunt at night due to it killing all there dogs cats chickens and ducks....and when I say bad I mean 6 of them at a time hanging around

scotty30-06
10-04-2016, 11:54 AM
Stupid you can't even use a bow at night....but thems the rules I guess

Xenomorph
10-04-2016, 12:33 PM
Stupid you can't even use a bow at night....but thems the rules I guess

Why don't you talk to the CO and see if you can lay some traps at least on the property?

scotty30-06
10-04-2016, 02:25 PM
Would need a trappers license which I don't have

Xenomorph
10-04-2016, 02:32 PM
Would need a trappers license which I don't have

What are you waiting for? I got the cheque signed already, just waiting on the call for the course to begin. It's a weekend course, once it's done you're free to find more reasons to be outdoors ...like buy a trapline and use it.

dracb
10-04-2016, 03:11 PM
About a decade ago I was visiting a group in SE England. We spent the day shooting pheasants and rooks on the farms surrounding the village. At night we went out on the same farms with .223's and .22LR's equipped with moderators and lights to hunt foxes and hares. At one time we were shooting almost in the Vicar's back yard. The locals did not seem concerned at all. In fact the waitress at the Inn I stayed at seemed quite interested in the number of hares we got the night before.

Xenomorph
10-04-2016, 03:32 PM
About a decade ago I was visiting a group in SE England. We spent the day shooting pheasants and rooks on the farms surrounding the village. At night we went out on the same farms with .223's and .22LR's equipped with moderators and lights to hunt foxes and hares. At one time we were shooting almost in the Vicar's back yard. The locals did not seem concerned at all. In fact the waitress at the Inn I stayed at seemed quite interested in the number of hares we got the night before.

Precisely, it's done and done for a good reason. Now from "predator and pest management" to hunting by some is a long road and the correlation is neither fair, nor accurate.

Surrey Boy
10-04-2016, 03:34 PM
Schedule B and C animals do not require hunting licences. By killing them you are not hunting. No implement restrictions, nothing. Coyotes, while not schedule C or B, could be predators to your pets or livestock, which you have a right to protect.

Nowhere is is written that it's illegal to shoot at night, not to mention a crossbow. TV Press-Pass has done some night shoots.

Squamch
10-04-2016, 05:06 PM
I worked with a kiwi who had worked for the F&G department down there. He told us stories about being paid to "go out with a box of beer and a case of bullets and shoot a truckload of possums." From the sounds of it everyone except the possums had a good time.

caddisguy
10-04-2016, 05:56 PM
Schedule B and C animals do not require hunting licences. By killing them you are not hunting. No implement restrictions, nothing. Coyotes, while not schedule C or B, could be predators to your pets or livestock, which you have a right to protect.

Nowhere is is written that it's illegal to shoot at night, not to mention a crossbow. TV Press-Pass has done some night shoots.

I believe the definition of hunting in the regs only uses the term "animals" and does not make a distinction as to which schedule. I am 99% certain it would be illegal to shoot them at night. There might be exceptions for protecting livestock, but I am not familiar with the laws in that regard.

I'd love to pop some coons under my headlights and make some wicked hats... had the chance to safely do so the other day, backstop and everything but as it stands it would not be legal :(

scotty30-06
10-04-2016, 06:36 PM
well I'm glad I talked to you guys before I went out breaking laws lol....thanks for the info

finngun
10-04-2016, 10:01 PM
well....S S S..no noise with cross bowwww:wink:

scotty30-06
10-04-2016, 10:34 PM
Hahahahha....thats all I'm gonna say to that ;p

tinbird
10-05-2016, 06:42 AM
My concern with night hunting is poaching of game as well as potential safety issues.

bearvalley
10-05-2016, 10:09 AM
Presently in BC there is one non FN individual that can legally shoot at night for livestock mitigation work. He operates strictly under a permit and uses night vision optics.
Theres pros and cons to this issue, but done right it can be effective.