PDA

View Full Version : The bad and the good

Angus
08-29-2013, 07:08 PM
First the bad:

Been watching this young bull moose for the last 2 months on a property I have access to north of FSJ. Saw him a couple times while out scouting. Was at the property early on Saturday a.m. and as I was puling up I saw him in the field at about 200 yards. I was down wind; he didn't hear me, see me or wind me. Shut the truck off, lights off, inside lights off. Grabbed the gun, the mag and my pack. Cracked the door quietly just a fraction. All of a sudden three herons start squawking and fly out of a nearby tree. The moose hears the commotion and books it for the trees. My last chance in the any bull season is gone.

Damn. Next time I guess.

The good:

The lady's Dad comes up for a visit over the weekend. Drops off his Bradley smoker that he doesn't use and we make a deal for a couple of his older shotguns. We end up at the range shooting clays. He's an old school waterfowler, hadn't shot in 25 years, and he was busting clays like a pro. He couldn't have been happier and it was good to see on the old fella. Needless to say it earned me massive points with his daughter.

And to cap off the weekend, I finally tracked down a landowner who I couldn't get hold of for the last two months. He owns some property that borders a small lake outside of town (most of the access is through private land) and I've been coveting this place as the perfect waterfowling spot. Well, after a brief chat I now have access to the lakeshore. He tells me the water surface is black with ducks and geese in the fall. Can't wait for opening day.

So I guess you take the good with the bad.

ActionJackson017
08-29-2013, 07:14 PM
Good luck to you on all accounts.. the bull moose for next year, the small lake for waterfowl, and cashing in the goodwill with the little lady! :)

Sitkaspruce
08-29-2013, 09:06 PM
Nice Job Angus, its amazing how many people around here will grant acces if you just ask.

Now you will have to find one of the elk hanging around or that big WT buck.

Cheers

SS

riflebuilder
08-30-2013, 10:24 AM
Always be glad for the good.