PDA

View Full Version : My first time hunting for Grouse

triden
08-29-2013, 10:59 AM
In two weeks I will be going to stay in a cabin with my wife just outside of Barriere, BC. It's in region 3-37 and I plan to try to catch some grouse. This is my first time ever hunting alone and I was hoping you guys could give me some pointers. I have a scoped 10/22, but I plan on taking the scope off and just using the iron sights. I was reading that in the hunting synopsis that a feathered wing must be left on the bird. When can I legally take this wing off? Any other things that I should know?

oh, one other question. Is it lawful for my wife to carry a shotgun alongside with me? She won't be using it to hunt, but this will be mainly for protection. If it's a grey area, then we won't take it.

Thanks everyone.

Chody
08-29-2013, 11:17 AM
i usually leave the feathered wings on till i cook it(usually same day) And yes as long as your wife is with you she can carry(must be with someone with a PAL)

shadowhunter
08-29-2013, 11:19 AM
In two weeks I will be going to stay in a cabin with my wife just outside of Barriere, BC. It's in region 3-37 and I plan to try to catch some grouse. This is my first time ever hunting alone and I was hoping you guys could give me some pointers. I have a scoped 10/22, but I plan on taking the scope off and just using the iron sights. I was reading that in the hunting synopsis that a feathered wing must be left on the bird. When can I legally take this wing off? Any other things that I should know?

oh, one other question. Is it lawful for my wife to carry a shotgun alongside with me? She won't be using it to hunt, but this will be mainly for protection. If it's a grey area, then we won't take it.

Thanks everyone.

You can take the wing off right after you gut it here is a vid, im pretty sure the rule applies to both Ontario and BC. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXSgUlc9f6I as for the shotgun question if I were you Id be using the shotgun over the .22, and just aim a little above the head with the shotgun. As in my experience it is easier for a first timer to get a grouse with a shotgun when its just off the side of the road. The .22 headshot routine is pretty hard unless you have a tonne of practice even then IMO a 10/22 isnt a super accurate gun even with a scope. I cant comment on the wife having a gun because I am unsure of the ruling but im sure another member can chime in. Hope that helps!

3006pg
08-29-2013, 11:23 AM
You can take the wing off right after you gut it here is a vid, im pretty sure the rule applies to both Ontario and BC. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXSgUlc9f6I as for the shotgun question if I were you Id be using the shotgun over the .22, and just aim a little above the head with the shotgun. As in my experience it is easier for a first timer to get a grouse with a shotgun when its just off the side of the road. The .22 headshot routine is pretty hard unless you have a tonne of practice even then IMO a 10/22 isnt a super accurate gun even with a scope. I cant comment on the wife having a gun because I am unsure of the ruling but im sure another member can chime in. Hope that helps!
actually for identification purposes you must leave one wing on until it makes it back home or cabin to eat

Grousedaddy
08-29-2013, 11:28 AM
No too many grouse in that area not saying there isnt any but i only see 5-10 a season when im hunting deer in that area

3006pg
08-29-2013, 11:31 AM
No too many grouse in that area not saying there isnt any but i only see 5-10 a season when im hunting deer in that area
listen to this guy, he is after all the grouse daddy ;)

Dannybuoy
08-29-2013, 11:35 AM
.22 will be fine if you can hit a 1" circle at 10-15 yds (head shot )... you shouldn't have to shoot at grouse any further than that. Best times are first light and just before dusk . Not sure but if wife is packing a firearm , I would think she would have to be licenced ?

markt308
08-29-2013, 12:00 PM
Theres grouse up there/ walk some little grassy side roads and you will probly jump a couple! If you are transporting the birds you gott at leats leave a wing on! Once you got it back to camp and are gonna cook her up, then remove it. if you are going to take a few grouse home after the trip for example, leave a wing on for the drive home.
As far as the gun, you might use the shotgun first cause your chances of success go way up. Might give you some confidence and accomplishment to get a couple birds outta the way. After that I would switch to the 22 cause it's a lot of fun!

digger dogger
08-29-2013, 01:38 PM

Thanks everyone.

Catch some grouse???
You need a transporting wildlife permit, if you will be transporting them live... :-)

hare_assassin
08-29-2013, 01:57 PM
Not sure but if wife is packing a firearm , I would think she would have to be licenced ?

Yep, if she's walking along packing a shotgun, she's technically "hunting" (as per the regs) and requires a hunting licence. Depends a lot on what CO finds you doing it, though...

If you know where to look, you'll find grouse up there. ;)

GreatWhitePopogeebo
08-29-2013, 02:28 PM
Find lots grouse go for walk nothing better than having one explode at your feet so much fun or drive around and pick them off that's good to.

Hunter8
08-29-2013, 03:48 PM
Not positive on girlfriend with shotgun but if she's alongside u while ur hunting it could be seen she's hunting as well. And for grouse I also use my shotty with #6 and aim just over them. Lots of fun!!

solo
08-29-2013, 03:58 PM
Way easier to hit a running/flying/bobbing grouse with a shotgun. Go really slow and look for them. Make sure your guns are unloaded, and magazines removed every time they are in the vehicle. Count on going through inspections and game checks, make sure every bird has a wing, and your guns are unloaded. If you are shooting them with a .22 make sure you know where the bullet is going to travel; another guy might be coming up the road you are shooting down, or there might be mushroom pickers etc. Have fun, grouse hunting is our favourite.

Abashai
08-29-2013, 04:32 PM
Always loved toting the .22 along while out with my dad! Its always good times! Sometimes you don't even need the gun though hahaha. Once on a hike back down from 5 days sheep hunting we saw a couple and were so hungry for some real food it took us like 10 minutes to finally kill them with rocks. Finished the hike and cooked them over a fire with a little salt and it was amazing!

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
08-29-2013, 05:12 PM
Triden,

As other posters have implied, your original post is unclear on whether or not your wife has a PAL and/or is also appropriately licensed to hunt Grouse. In the very least, if she is within arms reach of yourself and the Shotgun she is carrying is loaded with slugs as opposed to birdshot I am confident there would be no issue even if your wife is not licensed for firearms nor hunting activities (assuming that you yourself are licensed thusly). Be sure she is capable and confident with the use of said Shotgun or it will not do any good in the odd circumstance of being attacked by an animal. Ultimiately, as someone who has spent many years in wild places with high predator populations, I feel the rampant online sentiment of the importance of defense against said animals is mostly hyperbole.

I feel the advice listed in this thread that is discernible as pertaining to the hunting of Grouse is for the most part decent for a first time Grouse Hunter. Be sure to go slowly and conduct yourself in a highly observant manner. Grouse are excellent at hiding in their habitiat.

Happy Hunting!

PS ~ When in doubt concerning Laws/Regulations, it is always best practice to contact the closest Conservation Office to the area in which your planned activites will take place and/or an attourney specializing in the aspect of Law that is relevant to your circumstances for clarification on issues that may arise.

Taylor69
08-29-2013, 09:35 PM
You need a shotgun for protection. Ha ha.

BuckNaked
08-29-2013, 10:05 PM

Thanks everyone.

Isnt it easier to just shoot them! Good luck, hope you get a bunch! You may even want to hanging birds if they arent gut shot, this link gives some great instructions and first hand experience on aging fowl before dressing. If i can get a couple of head shots im eager to try these methods!

http://honest-food.net/2012/10/20/on-hanging-pheasants-2/

FishandHunt
08-30-2013, 08:54 AM
I love hunting grouse while I am searching for other big game animals. My problem is the dilemma over using a big loud shotgun to kill a bird and risk scaring off my main target. In the end grouse hunting is just so much fun its hard to not take a shot; not to mention they taste great.
Good luck on your trip.