PDA

View Full Version : Yote

Shop Lord
01-18-2007, 11:56 AM
How much is it to get a coyote tanned?

Stone Sheep Steve
01-18-2007, 01:35 PM
Taxidermist just told me about $50 if you do the skinning.

SSS

Shop Lord
01-18-2007, 02:29 PM
Thanks SSS. I thought if it was $50 I'd get it done. Any more than that and I would have just salted it.

Stone Sheep Steve
01-18-2007, 04:48 PM
I've been thinking about doing the same thing. Still got one in the freezer(in the round) from last year. Getting pretty sick of the wife yelling at me:roll: . Guess I'd better do something with it quick before I bring home another one.

SSS

Gateholio
01-18-2007, 05:27 PM
I've been thinking about doing the same thing. Still got one in the freezer(in the round) from last year. Getting pretty sick of the wife yelling at me:roll: . Guess I'd better do something with it quick before I bring home another one.

SSS

It's pretty good stir fried with lots of ginger and some thai chilis...

boxhitch
01-18-2007, 07:46 PM
Curliss, maybe check with a local trapper. They only airdry their hides, to send to market. Salting may not be the best answer. I,ve seen dried pelts that have been hanging around for a decade or so and they seem ok.

Stone Sheep Steve
01-18-2007, 09:45 PM
I was going to just air dry the pelt but my taxi said they are not resistant to bugs if not tanned. You might be okay for awhile but those little buggers might eventually move in.
I had a moose rack of my Dad's kicking around in a shed for close to a decade (with the hide and hair still on the skull plate) and then all the hair fell out and I found the little buggers' shucks.

By the adds you see about trophy protection you have to wonder how safe they are in different states of preservation.

SSS

mainland hunter
01-19-2007, 10:49 AM
bugs will eat them if not tanned, even salt dried there only resistant for 6 mos. or so sometimes more, but ive seen salt dried capes get completely moth eaten. if your gonna have it tanned, salt it good or keep it frozen until you bring it to the tannery. Also for salting, use fine salt, it needs to penetrate, lots of people have been told to use corse salt and that just isnt the case. You can get 40 lb bags of fine food grade salt at costco for $4.50 a bag. any hunter who's planning on having something tanned or mounted should bring salt with them if it cant be frozen for a couple days. it is also not advisable to salt and then freeze do one or the other.

RiverOtter
01-19-2007, 05:23 PM
Careful with the freezer until you decide, as the ears and paws with freezer burn.

Air drying can work for hides, but is not permanent like tanning and if it gets damp again, it will rot. Borax(Mule Team 20) is your friend and does a good job of keeping bugs out. You can work it into the fleshed hide and hair as well and shake out the excess. Taxi's use it on bird mounts.

Worth your time to contact an experienced trapper or taxi and get the hide fleshed properly, as that is the step that is most critical in air drying.

RO

Stone Sheep Steve
01-19-2007, 05:29 PM
My Uncle is an old time trapper. I was going to borrow one of his cedar stretcher boards to try the pelt on. He usually gets the right sized board and tacks the edges into place.
Of all the things he has skinned, he said yotes are right near the top of the list of stinkiest critters:| .

SSS