PDA

View Full Version : Hunt of a lifetime (story and pics)

dakoda62
08-27-2013, 08:39 AM
Trip of a lifetime
We left Kelowna on Aug 12 to make our way to Tetsa River Outfitters at mile 375 on the Alaska highway, stayed a couple of days in Ft St John with family. Arrived the day before the hunt on Aug 14 to meet with the outfitters Doug and Beth Cobbet. We were ecstatic to find out the other people that would have been going in with us had cancelled, so it would be just the 2 of us. Morning of the 15th saw us pack and saddle up 10 horses. uneventful ride into camp for 3 1/2 hrs crossing the Tetsa river, a few beaver dams and creeks. arrived in camp around 2:30, rained most of the way in. Aug 16 hunted around camp at at a nearby ridge, saw tracks and such but nothing to shoot. arrived back in camp late afternoon cows and calf had been hanging around camp most of the day, which as it turned out was a daily occurence sometimes 3-4 moose, as there is a natural lick just below camp. Aug 17 went out by horse for 13 1/2 hrs beatiful area some very promising areas, but again no animals. Aug 18 BINGO. just finshing breakfasts first cup of coffee, my partner had left the main cabin to use the out house and what should appear at the lick, a nice young bull. Bang 1 moose down from the sundeck no less. 33" full velvet.

weather for the most part was cool so gutting and deboning was no big deal, still had to deal a lot of blow flies though. Moose was fully deboned, cleaned, in bags and hung by noon. Then the work really began as all guts and bone had to be taken out of camp and dropped in the next valley, as grizzly are a real problem in the area. Next day saw us take off on our own, looking moose, elk and grizz, as Stewart had an LEH tag. didnt see any thing. Beth and Doug road back to the highway with the meet to put in the freeze we had brought with us. Aug 20, the cabin we stayed in has a large window that overlooks the meadow and lick, alarm goes off at first light, Stewart rools over looks out the window and guess what, yep another bull, 1 shot again 50" full velvet, Stewart was still in his underwear lol.

pretty much a repeat of the first debone, bag and hang,then ride and pack out the innards. The last few days were spent looking for elk and grizzly with no success. The meals that Beth prepared were without exception the best i have ever had in hunting or fishing camps, fresh homemade bread, pies, cookies etc full course meals absolutely top notch. Tetsa river camp and outfitters was established in 1942. We heard 1 plane and saw 1 helicopter the entire trip. Doug and Beth have been hunting their entire lives and are extremely knowledgeable of every aspect of hunting, and game care.

http://s1138.photobucket.com/user/dakoda62/library/Tetsa%20River

BigfishCanada
08-27-2013, 08:47 AM
Awesome pics, and story..one day I hope to have a story like this

moose2
08-27-2013, 08:53 AM
Good story and great pictures congrats on your bulls.
Mike

Trekker
08-27-2013, 08:56 AM
Looks like a great trip, some nice bulls to boot. Thanks for sharing.

Steeleco
08-27-2013, 08:56 AM
Everyone should have at least one trip like that on their bucket list. Quite the trip, thanks for sharing

adriaticum
08-27-2013, 09:37 AM
Great way to hunt!

decker9
08-27-2013, 09:47 AM
Nothin like hunting from your warm cabin sippin coffee in the morning!! Couple very nice bulls, the big guys a beauty! Congrats on a hunt of a lifetime!

markt308
08-27-2013, 10:05 AM
real nice photos. looks like an aesome adventure

264mag
08-27-2013, 10:10 AM
Nice pics, horseback hunts are awesome, half of the adventure is the time spent on the horse.

Darksith
08-27-2013, 10:34 AM
congrats on a successful trip. Looks like a lot of fun

Getbent
08-27-2013, 12:06 PM
Love the shots of the moose in with the horses...awesome trip I bet...nice bulls in velvet to boot!

yama49
08-27-2013, 04:55 PM
Looks like you guys had an awesome trip, congrats.. Its something you will always remember.

BuckEye
08-27-2013, 05:40 PM
Thanks for sharing the pics and story with us all. Looked like a great adventure.

knightcc
08-27-2013, 06:00 PM
Congrats on a great hunt and thanks for sharing.

bcsteve
08-27-2013, 07:26 PM
Out of curiosity, if you don't mind me asking, how much does a trip like that cost?

dogger
08-27-2013, 07:37 PM
Wow. sounds like you had a great trip. I am going with Double A Packers next month. Seeing your pictures, I can hardly wait. Thanks for sharing.:)

dakoda62
08-27-2013, 07:58 PM
Out of curiosity, if you don't mind me asking, how much does a trip like that cost?
3500.00 well worth it, you spend that going to mexico and get nothing but a sunburn.

bcsteve
08-27-2013, 09:29 PM
3500.00 well worth it, you spend that going to mexico and get nothing but a sunburn.

I would way rather go horseback moose hunting than going to Mexico! Thanks for answering.

Rugersingle
08-27-2013, 10:56 PM
Awesome pictures Looks like you had a great trip. A horse back huntin trip is the experience of a lifetime. I talked to Doug and Beth on their way home today and they are without a doubt a few of the most honest down to earth people you could share a camp with. In today’s world that is becoming a rare thing.

Kalum
08-28-2013, 05:51 AM
Haven't been so lucky as to do a hunt with horses yet and certainly on the list! Congrats and great pics

MacMtnHunter
08-28-2013, 07:34 AM
Sounds like a great hunt! That's one hell of of a bull! Congrats!

Mik
08-28-2013, 11:17 AM
Congratulations on 2 fine bulls. Great scenery, thanks for sharing.

Kootneykid
08-28-2013, 01:08 PM
Nice moose. Great story.

kennyg826
09-06-2013, 10:50 PM
Great story. Glad you guys had fun and nice bulls.

Big Lew
09-07-2013, 09:50 PM
Congrats on a successful hunt. Never met Beth, but have visited with her parents twice...found them to have great 'old school' values and possessing exceptional and accommodating attitudes. (Even though they were closed for the season, they opened a cabin, fixed up a shower, invited me into their home for a huge moose steak multi-course supper and evening chat, cooked me breakfast, and made me a big lunch to take on the way when I was cycling along the Alaska Hwy.) Sounds like they did a good job passing on their values to their daughter.

dakoda62
09-08-2013, 08:07 PM
Congrats on a successful hunt. Never met Beth, but have visited with her parents twice...found them to have great 'old school' values and possessing exceptional and accommodating attitudes. (Even though they were closed for the season, they opened a cabin, fixed up a shower, invited me into their home for a huge moose steak multi-course supper and evening chat, cooked me breakfast, and made me a big lunch to take on the way when I was cycling along the Alaska Hwy.) Sounds like they did a good job passing on their values to their daughter.
Beth and Doug are both wonderful people. What we experienced on our 10 day hunt was above and beyond anything we expected. The meals were outstanding. Accommodations were superb, even with the visit from the porcupine. Both Beth and Doug enjoy what they do, the experience they have gained throughout their lifetime is priceless and more than willing to share. They have my recommendations hands down.

TARCHER
09-08-2013, 08:25 PM
Having been on similar hunts many years ago, I feel the fun in your words. Fantastic

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
09-08-2013, 08:43 PM
Wow. sounds like you had a great trip. I am going with Double A Packers next month. Seeing your pictures, I can hardly wait. Thanks for sharing.:)
Dogger are the prices close to tetsa ? Was thinking about going with them .... Tried to email them but got nothing back...

ElectricDyck
09-08-2013, 09:20 PM
Congrats, a fair price for a comfy hunt!

Fosey
09-09-2013, 05:16 AM
good pictures, sounds like a good adventure.