PDA

View Full Version : A bit of security question

HIGHRPM
08-27-2013, 07:15 AM
Question for those that go into the mountains and forestry roads for rabbits and chickens with their .22, air guns and such. Do you ever carry some security ( shotgun or ) for the possible bear or cat encounter ? And have you ever encountered any ?

hare_assassin
08-27-2013, 07:59 AM
I do a lot of this type of hunting. So far, I have not carried a "security" weapon other than a big, sharp knife. I have thought about bringing a shotgun with some slugs, but so far I've just been relying on my instincts. In my neck of the woods, there are 3 things to be wary of; black bear, cougar, and moose. If I encounter a black bear, I am confident that a warning shot with my .22 will dissuade the vast majority of them. There's always the "mom with cub(s)" scenario, of course. A cougar will almost always try to take the prey from behind and there is very little warning when it happens, so access to a big, sharp knife is probably the best bet anyway. If the cat doesn't snap your neck on the first pounce then you have a chance to stab the sh!t out of it like that guy on the coast did with a pocket knife. Moose make a hell of a racket moving through the forest. Unless I am hunting them, I stay away from them. In the worst case scenario, at least they can't climb trees and I can.

But mostly it is about being very aware of everything. When I am out stalking, my senses are much sharper and I am not only looking for prey, but I am acutely aware of every sound or movement around me. It is all part of the "high" that I get in the bush. If I ever feel uncertain or uncomfortable in a situation, I let that instinct guide me. I don't get "curious" and keep going despite my gut feeling.

Case in point. On Sunday I was out hunting hare with my daughter for a few hours. We did a lot of scouting in the truck in an area that I am not very familiar with. We hadn't seen any hare all day and towards the end of the day I decided to take a walk. My daughter had enough by then and stayed in the truck. I found a good trail heading into a mature forested area and I had a really good feeling that there would be hare around. About 100 yards into the thick, tall stuff I heard a sharp snap of a good sized branch about 70 yards into the forest. When I looked in the direction of the sound, I saw a hare bounding away silently about 25 yards ahead into some thick ground cover. My blood started flowing and I thought "finally!", but I didn't walk forward. That snapped branch was something else. I waited and listened. "Crunch, snap, snap. Crunch." Twigs and branches breaking, leaves and ground fall under heavy feet. OK, whatever it is, it is big. Very big. Still quite far away, but moving in my direction. I wait. It keeps coming. Maybe 50 yards now. I decide to shoot a round of .22 into a log, to let the thing now I was there. "Bang!". 10 seconds go by, 15... "Crunch, snap, crunch...snap-snap, crunch." Still moving closer (not running away).

So, A) it was very big and B) it didn't care that I was there and that I made a loud bang with the firestick.

I hauled ass out of there. It took maybe 30 seconds total after firing the shot before my instinct told me to remove myself from the situation.

I'm thinking it was probably a moose, and it probably would have just stood there and looked at me with that goofy look they have. But maybe not.

If my instincts ever fail me, and I end up in a situation I can't handle, I am very well insured. :)

Oh, and I have never encountered a cat yet, but I have been pretty close to a couple blackies. As soon as they saw me they hauled ass. Blackies are cowards for the most part. If they look curious, yell at them and throw stuff and they are gone. Or fire a round into the ground. If bear GOS is on, then I would have my .270 with me. :D

Mikey Rafiki
08-27-2013, 08:17 AM
I only actively hunt for rabbits and chickens from my truck or quad. Haven't really gone on any spot and stalks. Turkey is a little different, but I'm not worried about predators in my turkey grounds.

During rifle season I have bagged a few with rocks, but then I have my rifle with me.

Sofa King
08-27-2013, 09:20 AM
nope.
same as above, I just carry a knife.
having a 22 or a shotgun is already a step up from someone out bow-hunting.

I had a scary incident one time.
I had glassed an area one evening and saw where deer were coming out of the thicker trees into the edge of a cutblock.
so, the next evening, I got in there earlier and quietly made my way over to that spot.
I was completely camo'd head-to-toe in 3D gear.
I had taken a seat on a stump that made a perfect stool and settled in.
after a bit, I heard some noises coming from behind me.
I didn't want to turn at all and make any movement, I had positioned myself quite close to the treeline, hoping to be very close to the deer when they entered the cut.
so I held still and waited for the deer to come to me.
the cracks and rustles were getting closer to the cut, and after several more minutes, which felt like hours, I expected that they must now be out in the open with me.
I still waited it out, not moving at all.
after a fair bit longer, hearing the movements of meandering about behind me, I suddenly thought, "what if these sounds aren't from deer?".
I finally decided it was best to find out what was occupying the close quarters with me.
I ever-so-slowly turned my upper body and neck to have a look.
I could see nothing, so I re-positioned myself so I was now seated facing that direction.
it had last sounded like the noises were still out in the cut, but I started to wonder if maybe it was deer and they had retreated back into the trees.
then, from down in a slight depression, appeared a black hump.
okay, I wasn't expecting that.
and I sure wasn't expecting it when a second black hump appeared beside it.
I didn't feel very confident sitting there with my bow, with 2 black bears very close to me.

it all turned out good though.
I sat still and waited for them to wander their way out farther into the cut away from me.
once they were farther out and disappearing into dips, I hustled my way to the top up the cut and back toward the truck, which was in the same direction they were headed.
being that they had not detected me and had moved on, I probably could have remained there and waited for the deer.
but I was a bit rattled from that, and decided to call it a night.

all I carry out hiking and scouting is a knife and spray.
I wouldn't carry any more while small-game hunting.

Foxton Gundogs
08-27-2013, 04:36 PM
I hunt grouse lots in bear and cat country, but I use a 12 Ga. I always carry slugs or 00, but not because I think about getting attacked but in case I run across a nice buck. I do however think about the dogs getting into trouble from time to time.

The Dawg
08-27-2013, 04:40 PM
I use a 10/22

If 10 shots of 22lr wont stop it, Im fooked

Spirit's Master
08-27-2013, 07:51 PM
I live in bear country everyday. Any given morning on my walk to work through town or on our mountain bike rides could put me face to face with Mr Black. It's even worse on garbage day. Birding with the dog, at least I'm carrying a noise maker.

Be aware.

cwf

hare_assassin
08-28-2013, 08:05 AM
Some of you may have seen in another thread that I have recently debated which magnum rimfire rifle to "upgrade" to from my LR, for hare hunting primarily.

This discussion has made me realize one more benefit of having a .22WMR over a .17HMR. If, in the worst case scenario, I had to defend myself against a black bear or a cougar, I would much rather be flinging 40 grains than 17. I have read a number of accounts of people south of the border killing black bear with .22WMR.

This will not give me any false sense of security, of course, but knowing that the .22WMR caries 3 times the energy of a .22LR (within 40 yards) ... well, that's not a bad thing. :)

I think I'll get some see-through scope rings for it, too. ;)

(Before anyone jumps on me, yes I am aware that hunting black bear and cougar with a rimfire is illegal. I am talking last-ditch effort self-defense here)

HIGHRPM
08-28-2013, 09:43 AM
Thank you for the replies ! Being a long time prairie boy and always in the bush, I never had to worry about things that ( even seeing a blackie at a distance was rare) might be an issue in BC. I just need to decide which way to go to cover the bases(my ass) when I am walking around. Being extremely aware seems to be number one !

yamadirt 426
08-28-2013, 03:21 PM
I hunt grouseérabbits with my combo gun and dog. Double the eyes, ears, and nose. 12g over 222 centerfire. only a single shot of each so if there is an attack. I better be shooting straight. Get yourself a dog and you will have more fun hunting small game, at least i do ..

Peter Pepper
08-28-2013, 05:00 PM
I use a 10/22

I carry a few 25rd magazines for mine. Loaded with hollow points. And bear spray and a bunch of knives. Well that's what I had with me earlier today when I took the dog for a walk.

.330 Dakota
08-28-2013, 07:07 PM
I use a 10/22

I watched a buddy kill a black bear with a 10/22 one time,,took all ten but he died

HIGHRPM
08-29-2013, 08:52 AM
Right off hand, a bear charging me and all I had was a 22, I think I would need to change my pants for sure, LOL !

HIGHRPM
08-31-2013, 05:03 PM
Now, if a guy was to carry a 12 gauge, what would you load, 00 or slugs or a combination ?

seanps
09-01-2013, 07:00 PM
Bear spray & knife on my belt.