PDA

View Full Version : Elk Scent Success

7x7
08-26-2013, 11:26 AM
Has anyone had any luck using elk scents?, if so what's the best method and brands??

Wrayzer
08-26-2013, 12:40 PM
Scent wafers seem to do the trick, smells like cow elk urine. Either hang them around a spot or attach them to your pack while you are walking/calling.

Mikey Rafiki
08-26-2013, 01:07 PM
I've used the real cow estrous. Carltons. Throw some on a tampon and decorate a tree.

I've also harvested dirt from beds that's soaked in bull urine and set it up where I know there is a big bull around. Don't use this much as I like to be able to smell those reeky bulls that may come in nice and quiet.

I try not to put the stuff on me while in Griz country.

Sofa King
08-26-2013, 01:12 PM
I've used the real cow estrous. Carltons. Throw some on a tampon and decorate a tree.

I've also harvested dirt from beds that's soaked in bull urine and set it up where I know there is a big bull around. Don't use this much as I like to be able to smell those reeky bulls that may come in nice and quiet.

I try not to put the stuff on me while in Griz country.

do you really use "actual" crack plugs?

hunter1947
08-27-2013, 05:35 AM
I cut the belly patches of bull elk I have shot in the past and put them in the freezer then when I head out I cut a small amount off and pin it to my clothing..

Weatherby Fan
08-27-2013, 06:01 AM
I cut the belly patches of bull elk I have shot in the past and put them in the freezer then when I head out I cut a small amount off and pin it to my clothing..

This is exactly what my brother does with Mule Deer Buck scent glands,cut em off and freezes em,then he pins them to his boots while hiking.

alpinetreker
08-31-2013, 04:32 PM
Cool ideas guys. I smell enough when I'm in the bush for a week.

Wrayzer
08-31-2013, 05:15 PM
Cool ideas guys. I smell enough when I'm in the bush for a week.
I've yet to have my week old coffee, chef Boyardee and trail mix smelling B.O allow me to bring in a bull. Maybe its my calling techniques...