PDA

View Full Version : Qci hunting ethics

pro 111
08-24-2013, 05:55 PM
There are a lot of off island hunters that come over here and know how to select there deer . Hats off to you people you all know who you are. To the people that come over here and fill your meat pole with does and fawns can you do all of us locals a favour and either don't come over here , or learn how to hunt ethically. The ministry seems to think we have an over abundance of deer so its ok to shoot all the does and fawns off. The season opens for them in another few days . Some of the fawns are still nursing. There are nice deer here you just have to know how to find them . Just because its legal to kill the does and fawns does not make it right. The reason that a lot of guys are killing these smaller deer is because thats all they see along the road feeding in the ditches. You used to be able to cruise the backroads and fill your tags easily with nice bucks . Lets bring it back to that. 2 point or better is a good rule to go by . This leaves lots of up and comers for the next year.
This is meant to be a polite message to try and rebuild something that used to be awesome. I have lived here 38 years and have been hunting these deer for 25 plus years . You can trust me on this our deer have taken a shit kicking in the last 10 years.
I hope this message is spread around and that some of you will care enough to be selective .
Remember a fawn will yield about 10 lbs of meat .
Have a good safe hunting season.

OutWest
08-24-2013, 06:14 PM
Sounds like a nimby attitude more than anything. Get the popcorn out.

Blktail
08-24-2013, 06:38 PM
If all the guys that shoot does and fawns shot bucks, there would be far fewer bucks. Perhaps this is what the game managers are aiming at. How is the buck to doe ratio?

wsm
08-24-2013, 06:53 PM
There are a lot of off island hunters that come over here and know how to select there deer . Hats off to you people you all know who you are. To the people that come over here and fill your meat pole with does and fawns can you do all of us locals a favour and either don't come over here , or learn how to hunt ethically. The ministry seems to think we have an over abundance of deer so its ok to shoot all the does and fawns off. The season opens for them in another few days . Some of the fawns are still nursing. There are nice deer here you just have to know how to find them . Just because its legal to kill the does and fawns does not make it right. The reason that a lot of guys are killing these smaller deer is because thats all they see along the road feeding in the ditches. You used to be able to cruise the backroads and fill your tags easily with nice bucks . Lets bring it back to that. 2 point or better is a good rule to go by . This leaves lots of up and comers for the next year.
This is meant to be a polite message to try and rebuild something that used to be awesome. I have lived here 38 years and have been hunting these deer for 25 plus years . You can trust me on this our deer have taken a shit kicking in the last 10 years.
I hope this message is spread around and that some of you will care enough to be selective .
Remember a fawn will yield about 10 lbs of meat .
Have a good safe hunting season. I agree with you . to all you that think just because the regs say it's ok , our populations can handle it . just look at our moose population in 50% of the province . that is directly linked to a gross mismanagement of our resources . it's to bad that way to many hunters only care about their ability to shoot things ,and not weather our grandchildren will have the same opportunity . glad s to see some care

wsm
08-24-2013, 06:54 PM
If all the guys that shoot does and fawns shot bucks, there would be far fewer bucks. Perhaps this is what the game managers are aiming at. How is the buck to doe ratio?

that would mean they might actually have to get out of their truck and off the road.

Gateholio
08-24-2013, 07:02 PM
A more constructive way to deal with this would have been to express your concerns in a thread, see if other knowledgeable people have the same opinion as you and see if you can form a route of action to address your concerns.

Telling people to "dont' come here if you want to follow the current regulations" won't accomplish anything. I know that many people feel they should be able to determine the hunting regulations for their particular area, but that just isn't' the way it works.

Also keep in mind not everyone cares about killing "nice bucks" and are quite happy with young bucks or does to eat.

Surrey Boy
08-24-2013, 08:29 PM
Sounds like a nimby attitude more than anything. Get the popcorn out.

Sure looks that way.

Rule #6!

Surrey Boy
08-24-2013, 08:32 PM
Isn't this posted in the wrong forum?

The OP better not discriminate against illiterates.

wsm
08-24-2013, 10:49 PM
A more constructive way to deal with this would have been to express your concerns in a thread, see if other knowledgeable people have the same opinion as you and see if you can form a route of action to address your concerns.

Telling people to "dont' come here if you want to follow the current regulations" won't accomplish anything. I know that many people feel they should be able to determine the hunting regulations for their particular area, but that just isn't' the way it works.

Also keep in mind not everyone cares about killing "nice bucks" and are quite happy with young bucks or does to eat.
I agree gate , but the population stability should come before any harvest. It has been shown that the gov't does not have our wildlife's bet interest in mind the way they should , and BCWF does not call them on it when they don't . So we have been put into a position where we need to call both groups to acct.

Gateholio
08-24-2013, 11:02 PM
I agree gate , but the population stability should come before any harvest. It has been shown that the gov't does not have our wildlife's bet interest in mind the way they should , and BCWF does not call them on it when they don't . So we have been put into a position where we need to call both groups to acct.

Population stability should indeed come before harvest, but my point was that bitching out people for following the rules that are given to them is less productive than taking an inclusive approach that will get people on board to your way of thinking.

I have been to the QCI 3 times on kayak and fishing trips, I killed one deer there with a bow when I was 15, so I have no idea what the actual deer situation is now in 2013.

Rather than dictate to hunters what they should do,engage them in discussion so that change can happen if it is truly needed.

Big Lew
08-25-2013, 07:04 AM
Population stability should indeed come before harvest, but my point was that bitching out people for following the rules that are given to them is less productive than taking an inclusive approach that will get people on board to your way of thinking.

I have been to the QCI 3 times on kayak and fishing trips, I killed one deer there with a bow when I was 15, so I have no idea what the actual deer situation is now in 2013.

Rather than dictate to hunters what they should do,engage them in discussion so that change can happen if it is truly needed.

I totally agree, well stated.....keep in mind that it can be a bit of 'tit for tat' in that Mainlanders, or anyone from any other region, can also do as the OP, and request 'outsiders' keep conservation in mind when they hunt in their region. Next thing we know, the regs will get changed so that hunters will only be allowed to hunt within their own region.....and finally, only within their specific community.

Weatherby Fan
08-25-2013, 07:39 AM
I totally agree, well stated.....keep in mind that it can be a bit of 'tit for tat' in that Mainlanders, or anyone from any other region, can also do as the OP, and request 'outsiders' keep conservation in mind when they hunt in their region. Next thing we know, the regs will get changed so that hunters will only be allowed to hunt within their own region.....and finally, only within their specific community.

Kind of like how the Black Bear hunting has gone on the QC Islands.....:confused:

pro 111
08-25-2013, 09:17 AM
Sounds like a nimby attitude more than anything. Get the popcorn out. No , not trying to be a game warden or discourage anyone from coming here . I just know that if people were a little more selective over here we could rebuild the population back up to to where it was 10 to 15 years ago. Remember 2 nice 2 pointers is equivelant to about 7 to 10 fawns in meat. Be selective let a few deer live to grow bigger and take the same amount of meat home at the end of the day . I am sure there are a lot of you out there that hated the calf moose season around your home towns. Anyway not trying to start an agument just trying to save something that good that could be awesome again.

Ozone
08-25-2013, 09:45 AM
Maybe they want to put the fawns on the wall and don't care about the meat?

showtime
08-25-2013, 10:18 AM
Listen to you go. Unethical? Who do you think you are? If the regulations say I can hunt does on "your" island then you better believe I will shoot them if the opportunity arises.

blackbart
08-25-2013, 10:40 AM
Wrong forum - would be better suited for Political debate, Island or even open chat. Also seems to contradict with one of the so called "site rules". Perhaps we should be debating the effects of non-native species on the local flora and fauna?? Have you seen any cedar regen up there lately? Hmmm, I wonder what happened???

#6. There is to be no frowning upon a member for the method of hunting used, or the sex, age of the animal. If it's legal then it's legal no if, and, or, but!

Sofa King
08-25-2013, 12:05 PM
Listen to you go. Unethical? Who do you think you are? If the regulations say I can hunt does on "your" island then you better believe I will shoot them if the opportunity arises.

I agree with you, it's hardly unethical.
if the regs say they can, then they are doing nothing wrong.
but, I think what they were getting at, is that the regs may not be proper.
perhaps the deer #'s aren't what the ministry thinks.
I know I have no idea what the situation is on the qc's.

it would be like if the regs say that we can all harvest 4 salmon, yet we clearly know it's a bad run, I think we should be smart enough to NOT take those 4 salmon just because a guy in an office says we can.

I don't agree with your pov of darn well shooting something if the regs say you can.
not that that's wrong doing that, I just don't believe that everything that lives needs to be harvested.
we have a season for almost every animal that exists.
does everything really need to be hunted?
the variety is good I guess though.
like fishing, everyone has a different preference.
some are all about the salmon fishing, some the sturgeon, and some love their lakers.
heck, I prefer pike over all.

the op shouldn't view mainlanders that way though.
we're all bc residents.
I've lost many of my fav hunting areas over the years from more and more lower mainlanders venturing in.
but that's just the sign of the times.
they aren't doing anything wrong.
they have as much entitlement to hunt those areas as anyone.
it sucks to have a "secret" spot become a busy, over-run spot, but that also just shows that there are probably more hunters overall.
even though they say #'s are usually dwindling.
and if the # of hunters is increasing, even though that may mean sharing areas with more, it's actually a good think in the bigger picture.
we'll hopefully have a louder, stronger voice regarding our hunting passion.

pro 111
08-25-2013, 02:52 PM
Wrong forum - would be better suited for Political debate, Island or even open chat. Also seems to contradict with one of the so called "site rules". Perhaps we should be debating the effects of non-native species on the local flora and fauna?? Have you seen any cedar regen up there lately? Hmmm, I wonder what happened???

#6. There is to be no frowning upon a member for the method of hunting used, or the sex, age of the animal. If it's legal then it's legal no if, and, or, but! Like I said this a simple sujestion to help out the deer around here . We welcome off island hunters to come here , are small towns benafit greatly from this . I have helped lots of guys get there deer . I also hunt a lot of island on the mainland. Like I said not trying to sound like I own the herd just trying to help them out a bit. As for the cedar region the place is full cedar sapplings . Deer only eat them for so long then they sprout up. Salmon Berry is there staple for most of the year.

reach
08-25-2013, 03:36 PM
Deer on QCI are an invasive, introduced species. Ideally they should be exterminated, but since there are now so many other introduced species as well (rats, raccoons etc.) that's probably not practical. Basically that whole ecosystem is FUBAR.

Introduced Species Management in Haida Gwaii (Queen Charlotte Islands) (http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/wld/documents/ce17golumbia.pdf)

wsm
08-25-2013, 06:39 PM

that's fair

pro 111
08-25-2013, 08:57 PM
Deer on QCI are an invasive, introduced species. Ideally they should be exterminated, but since there are now so many other introduced species as well (rats, raccoons etc.) that's probably not practical. Basically that whole ecosystem is FUBAR.

Introduced Species Management in Haida Gwaii (Queen Charlotte Islands) (http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/wld/documents/ce17golumbia.pdf) Would you rather have deer or plants this is a hunting forum is it not.

OutWest
08-25-2013, 09:02 PM
No , not trying to be a game warden or discourage anyone from coming here . I just know that if people were a little more selective over here we could rebuild the population back up to to where it was 10 to 15 years ago. Remember 2 nice 2 pointers is equivelant to about 7 to 10 fawns in meat. Be selective let a few deer live to grow bigger and take the same amount of meat home at the end of the day . I am sure there are a lot of you out there that hated the calf moose season around your home towns. Anyway not trying to start an agument just trying to save something that good that could be awesome again.

Just curious as to what you are basing your numbers off of versus what the Ministry says is sustainable harvest through regulated hunting? This isn't an attack, I'm just interested in how you've come to this conclusion.

pro 111
08-25-2013, 09:07 PM
Just curious as to what you are basing your numbers off of versus what the Ministry says is sustainable harvest through regulated hunting? This isn't an attack, I'm just interested in how you've come to this conclusion.Just basing it on 25 years of hunting the little critters . I was born and raised here and you don,t have to be a brain sergeon or a biologist to figure it out . You just have to live here year round to notice the effects .

showtime
08-25-2013, 09:13 PM
In that case would everyone stop hunting spike mule deer in region 3 because when I grew up there was many more quality bucks than there are now.

Caribou_lou
08-25-2013, 09:16 PM
Have you thought about what the population would develop into if there was no Doe or Fawn season?

pro 111
08-25-2013, 09:48 PM
In that case would everyone stop hunting spike mule deer in region 3 because when I grew up there was many more quality bucks than there are now. If I lived there i would say yes. Why would you kill a spike mule deer unless you were a kid on your first adventure.

skibum
08-25-2013, 09:59 PM
If I lived there i would say yes. Why would you kill a spike mule deer unless you were a kid on your first adventure.

Stop trolling - you had me sucked in for a while. Next thing you will be telling us catch and release dry fly fishing only.

pro 111
08-25-2013, 10:07 PM
Have you thought about what the population would develop into if there was no Doe or Fawn season? Nothing wrong with killing the odd dry doe to ballance out the population but if you had of read this post from the start it was meant to rebuild the population to what it once was . They used to open does 1st of october now its the first of september. Bag limit was 3 a day 10 a year. Now its 15 a year 5 per day . Whats happening here now is people are coming over here and finding it hard to get there 5 nice deer so they just shoot anything to tag out. Whether its right or wrong doesnt really matter. What matters is the population is getting reduced drastically and we are starting to see the effects here now. All I am trying to get at is why ruin something good just because the ministry sais its ok. Just to inform a few of you these deer do have plenty of natural predators so don't believe everything you here. Bears kill the fawns in the spring but they also kill a lot of deer that are week in the spring from a hard winter. Ravens kill fawns . Eagles kill fawns . Marten kill fawns. Then hunters kill them too. Our winters are very hard on these deer as well. I found over 20 dead deer in one timber patch about 3 hectares in size after the winter of 2011 It got down to minus 19 inland here with freezing snow stuck to the ground. In some areas it killed over half the population. They were lucky this past winter as it was very mild. There are a lot more fawns this year than there has been for a while because of this.

wsm
08-25-2013, 10:40 PM
In that case would everyone stop hunting spike mule deer in region 3 because when I grew up there was many more quality bucks than there are now.

absolutely I would

treehugger
08-26-2013, 12:57 AM

This is a great way to promote sustainability and ensure great hunting for future generations? The Charlottes are a bit of an anomaly in that "they're some wild, hunter's paradise with seemingly inexhaustible bag limits"! There is a thread running right now about the best time to go with a ton of "experts" piping up about how you can roll on in... bang bang bang and roll out. Sadly, I think whoever writes the regs thinks the same way. The truth of the matter is the numbers are NOT there... they haven't been for as long as I've hunted there. It is not some weird fluke that when you show up for your hunt it just so happens no bucks happen to be around when you happen to be there... there are no bucks!
All this being said, locals appreciate, if not down right encourage off-islanders to come to "their" island and hunt. It's expensive, wet and isolated but it's damn well worth it every time... and after a week of never seeing an animal with horns no one's gonna fault you for shooting a doe or two... even if you never strayed 15 feet from the road.
I said it before, based on the regs, when I visited before moving there I thought I was doing the locals a favour by knocking off a few does... and I can attest to a fawn only yielding about 15lbs of meat... in my defence I thought it was waaaay further away when I shot it!
Also , if this isn't the right place to post a comment to raise awareness amongst hopefully like minded individuals with similar interests about an issue we're all clearly passionate about... Where is?

Stone Sheep Steve
08-26-2013, 09:36 AM
Nothing wrong with killing the odd dry doe to ballance out the population but if you had of read this post from the start it was meant to rebuild the population to what it once was . They used to open does 1st of october now its the first of september. Bag limit was 3 a day 10 a year. Now its 15 a year 5 per day . Whats happening here now is people are coming over here and finding it hard to get there 5 nice deer so they just shoot anything to tag out. Whether its right or wrong doesnt really matter. What matters is the population is getting reduced drastically and we are starting to see the effects here now. All I am trying to get at is why ruin something good just because the ministry sais its ok. Just to inform a few of you these deer do have plenty of natural predators so don't believe everything you here. Bears kill the fawns in the spring but they also kill a lot of deer that are week in the spring from a hard winter. Ravens kill fawns . Eagles kill fawns . Marten kill fawns. Then hunters kill them too. Our winters are very hard on these deer as well. I found over 20 dead deer in one timber patch about 3 hectares in size after the winter of 2011 It got down to minus 19 inland here with freezing snow stuck to the ground. In some areas it killed over half the population. They were lucky this past winter as it was very mild. There are a lot more fawns this year than there has been for a while because of this.

Was the population back "in the old days" at a sustainable level?? Were there too many deer?? Were they over carrying capacity?

SSS

The Dawg
08-26-2013, 11:37 AM
Im trying to organize a party to go over to the QCI next year for the deer season.

Ideally Id like to have 6-8 people to come with us to split costs.

We can take 15 each.

So if someone can bring a trailer, we can stand to take 120 deer back to the Mainland!

Whos in?

reach
08-26-2013, 12:22 PM
Im trying to organize a party to go over to the QCI next year for the deer season.

We can take 15 each.

So if someone can bring a trailer, we can stand to take 120 deer back to the Mainland!

Whos in?
For some unknown reason, although the bag limit is 15, the possession limit is only 5. So you'd have to ship them home in batches of 40. :D

limit time
08-26-2013, 12:23 PM

We can take 15 each.

Whos in?

Im in!!!!!!

The Dawg
08-26-2013, 12:32 PM
For some unknown reason, although the bag limit is 15, the possession limit is only 5. So you'd have to ship them home in batches of 40. :D

Im ok with that. Just need someone with a reefer trailer

Jelvis
08-26-2013, 12:42 PM
I was told by lots, even some on this site, not to shoot a cow or a doe, your killing three deer or three moose cuz they have twins each birth season.
Is this a good theory to follow or not? Like just buckeroos or bullarammaz?
What's wrong with this picture?
Jel .. Bang your head ..

257stew
08-26-2013, 12:47 PM
Ok my 2 cents.

1) Pro 111 should be able to voice his concerns and not be called out for it. I read the thread and he is not saying do not do this, he is just asking people to try not to do this as HE thinks this will help the population rebound.Like wise those choosing to go over and legally harvest what they are allowed should have the same courtesy shown to them.

2) I am no expert on deer reproduction but it seem that the males will breed with more then 1 doe. So if we look at a doe and a buck both with 3 years reproduction left in them (do not know the age of a QCI deer) and we shot each one. We will have taken most likely 3 future deer away with the doe but if the buck breeds even 3-4 does on average we now have 9-12 future deer gone. Seems to me if we want the population to increase we need to protect the bucks and incourage the harvest of a few does. If a person goes over and is set on taking 5 maybe try for 2-3 bucks and then tag out with does, instead of harvesting 5 bucks.

Again I am no expert on deer reproduction however the numbers seem to back up what I have written.

Big Lew
08-26-2013, 12:58 PM
I was told by lots, even some on this site, not to shoot a cow or a doe, your killing three deer or three moose cuz they have twins each birth season.
Is this a good theory to follow or not? Like just buckeroos or bullarammaz?
What's wrong with this picture?
Jel .. Bang your head ..

I suppose you could take it a step further....how many fawns are born by the average doe during her fawn bearing lifetime, as opposed to how many fawns are fathered by the average buck in a buck's fertile lifetime. Ponder that for awhile.

Jelvis
08-26-2013, 01:07 PM
If you have too many deer in any area, bucks does and fawns. And the food supply during winter can't fill the deer, some of those deer die of malnutrion.
It's all about winter range capabilty to handle the population. Too many deer cause desease and birth defects, and malnutrition. Too many means the number of deer has exceeded the winter range feeding capabilities.
The deer will be plentiful but the size and health of the deer will be small and weak. Believe it or Not! Winter Range is the measure of all related capability
Jel (Ring) mahBell

treehugger
08-26-2013, 01:41 PM
Most of the dead deer I've seen on the charlottes are prematurely wiened fawns with sh**ty asses unable to fight off benign illnesses had they had access to natural anti bodies in mums milk. A buck is certainly able to service a ton of does and a doe has way less of a problem finding a fella than any hunter. Off-islanders make up a tiny part of a fraction of the folks taking animals on the island but make up the largest number of folks under the misconception that the charlottes are riddled with pesky deer. Pro111 practices what he preaches but a few locals are the worst violators of all... I heard of one fella who shot over 70 deer last year alone. I don't think shooting does on island is unethical but I do think hunters are misinformed about the state of the population and ease of harvest over there.

The Dawg
08-26-2013, 02:06 PM
Ok my 2 cents.

1) Pro 111 should be able to voice his concerns and not be called out for it. I read the thread and he is not saying do not do this, he is just asking people to try not to do this as HE thinks this will help the population rebound.Like wise those choosing to go over and legally harvest what they are allowed should have the same courtesy shown to them.

Would be as concerned about their numbers if he didn't live there? I don't see him complaining about the cow/calf moose seasons

treehugger
08-26-2013, 03:29 PM
Does make him wrong or this any less of am issue because he lives there? Someone mentioned this sounding like a NIMBY problem the worse NIMBY attitude is that this is not in my back yard so I don't give a sh*t about it.

Gateholio
08-26-2013, 03:35 PM
How about discussing the actual issue? Is the problem real or perceived?

rcar
08-26-2013, 03:50 PM
I didn't think I was going to sound off on this after my first read as I have never hunted the QCI's or plan to in the future but .....

I do partially agree with the overall concern. As a hunter I couldn't imagine shooting a fawn...like to think I have a better moral compass than that. I guess the big question I have is this: Is there really a deer over population problem in the QCI's? I would devinately answer this question for myself if I were to consider hunting there. If there was an over population issue than for me doe's are open game, providing they aren't nursing a fawn.

My other thought, as was alreay echoed here is that there was probably a better way to bring up this concern.

As for the NIMBY stuff... All most of us really know is our back yard and it is here that we are most educated on the real issues and able to bring them to the rest of us here. I for one welcome everyones opinion and am much more likely to take a concern seriously if someone brings it up about his area.

GoatGuy
08-26-2013, 04:06 PM
Was over there last summer and the place is a mess. Shooting more deer will result in more twins and bigger deer. The understory is completely destroyed due to deer over-population. Surprised there hasn't been a huge crash over there.

wsm
08-26-2013, 05:45 PM
Was over there last summer and the place is a mess. Shooting more deer will result in more twins and bigger deer. The understory is completely destroyed due to deer over-population. Surprised there hasn't been a huge crash over there.
in most cases the does are having twins now . so by shooting more does and future does/ fawns , the buck are gonna have the more twins you speak of ? :P

Caribou_lou
08-26-2013, 06:13 PM
So reading this thread from the start. You want the populations back to where they once were. You claim its from over hunting does and fawns. You also mention that more are killed by predators than people think. Lets concentrate on that last point. Bears most likely kill more fawns than any other predator. Whats the bear population? How many are harvested a year by resident/Non resident Hunters?

biggyun68
08-26-2013, 06:45 PM
Maximum 4 bears a year are harvested legally according to BC hunting Regs.

Surrey Boy
08-26-2013, 06:58 PM

How does that work?

I thought it was hunting licence (2) and trapping licence (5).

REMINGTON JIM
08-26-2013, 07:21 PM

Place is a mess ? Please explain what you mean and a HUGH Crash over there - that too Please - Thks :-D RJ

dryflyguy57
08-26-2013, 07:31 PM

We can take 15 each.

Whos in?
Don't think you could organize your kids birthday party , never mind a hunting party by the sounds of it .

REMINGTON JIM
08-26-2013, 07:46 PM
Don't think you could organize your kids birthday party , never mind a hunting party by the sounds of it .

LMAO ! :-D i think NoahDawg was trying to be Funny BUT ! :wink: RJ

HarryToolips
08-26-2013, 07:46 PM
Never hunted over there, all I know is when it's the whitetail doe season over here I'll take a dry doe, but one with fawns or taking a fawn itself, forget it let the thing live a year and ya don't get much meat anyway..

Gateholio
08-26-2013, 07:59 PM
How does that work?

You have some reading to do......It was quite the clustereff.

reach
08-26-2013, 09:15 PM
How does that work?

The overall allocation of black bears for all resident hunters in both 6-12 and 6-13 is 4. Not 4 per hunter, 4 total. There's compulsory inspection and they shut it down as soon as 4 are taken.

Caribou_lou
08-26-2013, 10:41 PM

That's what I thought. Maybe the locals should be concentrating on getting the black bear hunt opened up again instead of trying to educate the mainlanders.

REMINGTON JIM
08-26-2013, 10:49 PM
The overall allocation of black bears for all resident hunters in both 6-12 and 6-13 is 4. Not 4 per hunter, 4 total. There's compulsory inspection and they shut it down as soon as 4 are taken.

NOW that is really BULL SHIT that they got that done there ! :twisted: PISS me OFF it does ! :evil: RJ

sawmill
08-27-2013, 09:54 AM
If I lived there i would say yes. Why would you kill a spike mule deer unless you were a kid on your first adventure.

I like deer meat.Can`t eat horns.I also have been known to take a calf moose and cow elk too.And whitetail doe in season.I have have an assload of nice racks from 40 years of hunting,they are purty but not as purty as a a tender steak.Each to his own.I`m in it for the meat.I get me 4 cord of split stacked firewood and a couple of deer in the freezer..............Happy Happy Happy.Merry Christmas with a slow roasted,smoked hind quarter on the big outside wood BBQ.:mrgreen:

sawmill
08-27-2013, 09:56 AM
I have hunted the Charlottes,by the way,glad to see you ain`t callin` them Haida Gyay...ghey..

riflebuilder
08-27-2013, 01:36 PM
Going there this fall will look for a good buck, if I get one I will take a Doe to have a lifesize set or just shoulder mounts.

Grousedaddy
08-27-2013, 01:57 PM
Don't you get it pro 111?????? Not EVERYONE HUNTSFOR A TROPHY. If i spend all season looking for my 4 point and run out of time im going to take a smaller buck if its open..... Hunting is expensive i can justify my hunting purchases alot better when my wife sits down to eat some deer meat. It can cost up to 1000$ a season to hunt locally with gas gear and processing. Its not always about the size of the rack mulie spikers have lots of meat on them...

Dannybuoy
08-27-2013, 04:01 PM
I like deer meat.Can`t eat horns.I also have been known to take a calf moose and cow elk too.And whitetail doe in season.I have have an assload of nice racks from 40 years of hunting,they are purty but not as purty as a a tender steak.Each to his own.I`m in it for the meat.I get me 4 cord of split stacked firewood and a couple of deer in the freezer..............Happy Happy Happy.Merry Christmas with a slow roasted,smoked hind quarter on the big outside wood BBQ.:mrgreen:
Yes I agree But have you ever *gasp* shot a spike . I haven't had to resort to that yet ... esp a whitey pike .... pretty tiny !

Blainer
08-27-2013, 04:33 PM
Don't you get it pro 111?????? Not EVERYONE HUNTSFOR A TROPHY. If i spend all season looking for my 4 point and run out of time im going to take a smaller buck if its open..... Hunting is expensive i can justify my hunting purchases alot better when my wife sits down to eat some deer meat. It can cost up to 1000$ a season to hunt locally with gas gear and processing. Its not always about the size of the rack mulie spikers have lots of meat on them...If hunting was about the $, then stick to Costco, it's cheaper.

Surrey Boy
08-27-2013, 05:41 PM
If hunting was about the $, then stick to Costco, it's cheaper.

Funny, I can't find venison, bear, elk, moose, caribou, rabbit, grouse, quail at Costco. Even buffalo and mutton are hard to get.

pro 111
08-27-2013, 09:06 PM
Thanks for all your comebacks all lots of valid points . All things set aside a pole full of does and fawns just isn't right , unless your kids are starving. The deer are introduced and we all owe it to guys who did this. This place would only be half the place without its deer. As for the underbrush being gone , I would have to argue. I spend 20 days a month cutting down trees. Half the time I am up to my eyeballs in salal bush. I started this thread with hopes that I could maybe save a few of the younger deer. If shooting fawns and does is your program then have at er . Hopefully i have changed a few minds . If your coming over here just try to be selective. I will guarantee you you will be singing a different tune when you leave with 200 lbs of meat instead of 35lbs.
Over and Out!!!

Jelvis
08-27-2013, 09:11 PM
Isn't it called Haidi Gwhy now or is that another Island?

pro 111
08-27-2013, 09:14 PM
Isn't it called Haidi Gwhy now or is that another Island?Haida Gwaii to be exact

Jelvis
08-27-2013, 09:29 PM
Maybe your livin in the past lol just kidden.
jelly Belly

russm
08-27-2013, 10:54 PM
Going there this fall will look for a good buck, if I get one I will take a Doe to have a lifesize set or just shoulder mounts.

Hell grab a fawn and keep the family together!

fishingguy44
08-28-2013, 06:13 AM

Introduced Species Management in Haida Gwaii (Queen Charlotte Islands) (http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/wld/documents/ce17golumbia.pdf)
I totally agree. These are animals that are not supposed to be there and continue to thrive on the destruction of the islands. The quotas are the way they are for that reason. there not ment for species continuation. no different than a bull frog.

Blainer
08-28-2013, 07:20 AM
Funny, I can't find venison, bear, elk, moose, caribou, rabbit, grouse, quail at Costco. Even buffalo and mutton are hard to get.Then obviously you can afford to hunt such species and see the value in it.
Now let's hope to see you post some pictures and success stories.

Grousedaddy
08-28-2013, 07:28 AM
its not about the money atall blainer... Sorry but my wife has to deal with an expensive passion of mine and it doesnt hurt bringing home the meat to show her what all my time and money is spent on... I am by no means well off so when i take money to go hunting it has an impact we have to budget for it. All im saying is huntin is expensive and im not a trophy hunter so when i go hunting if its legal it gets the bang flop.

If hunting was about the $, then stick to Costco, it's cheaper.

Blainer
08-28-2013, 07:42 AM
its not about the money atall blainer... Sorry but my wife has to deal with an expensive passion of mine and it doesnt hurt bringing home the meat to show her what all my time and money is spent on... I am by no means well off so when i take money to go hunting it has an impact we have to budget for it. All im saying is huntin is expensive and im not a trophy hunter so when i go hunting if its legal it gets the bang flop.gotcha, and very well put.
I'm not one to pass judgement on another person's decisions, and agree, hunting is very expensive.
In my mind, it's not about the meat,and I don't recall ever missing a meal in my lifetime. For me,it's about the thrill of the hunt, the stock, camaraderie and scenery.
I personally have no desire to shoot a fawn,spike or doe, my choice and again I'm not passing judgement.
I love the thrill of hunting a mature trophy animal, but trust all the meat get's eaten.
Possibly a different story when it comes to moose, legal, bang/flop, as I love the meat.

Grousedaddy
08-28-2013, 07:46 AM
Hey Blainer im with you too id pass on spikers all season long but when its the end o the year ya im going to enjoy some meat. I love being in the bush and have come home very very many times empty handed lol man i cant wait another 2 weeks and ill be breathing clean air ahhhh

dryflyguy57
08-28-2013, 01:44 PM

Whats your take on vancouver island elk ?

08-28-2013, 01:46 PM
Vancouver Island Elk were not introduced. There was a thread a long time ago on it with some links to show Rosies are in fact native to the island

dryflyguy57
08-28-2013, 02:56 PM
Vancouver Island Elk were not introduced. There was a thread a long time ago on it with some links to show Rosies are in fact native to the island
I stand corrected , skip that question Reach .

08-28-2013, 03:06 PM
Totally understood yer point though!
PGK said we should all go up North and Wipe out the Buffalo because they had escaped from some guys farm.... Right wing stuff.

Surrey Boy
08-28-2013, 04:44 PM
Then obviously you can afford to hunt such species and see the value in it.
Now let's hope to see you post some pictures and success stories.

I'm not inclined to post those. I get my bear and deer, small game as I'm able, but it's not noteworthy enough to post here.

Cordillera
08-28-2013, 08:43 PM
The point needs repeating that the management objective for deer on Haida gwaii is totally different than the rest of the province. The science is clear they have significantly altered the ecosystem and any forester up there can attest that is very hard to regenerate cedar because of deer browse. Some predictions of future forest species composition indicate future stands will have radically less cedar than historically due entirely to deer. So if you agree to that objective (reduce deer to help return the ecosystem to a more natural plant community) then shooting does is good.

I understand deer are hard to find on the roads (this means the management regime is considered success) but I have a friend who does an annual sailing trip to old cutblocks that are only accessed by water and the place remains crawling with deer so the impact of the regs is probably highest in only a part of the islands.

Jelvis
08-29-2013, 10:08 PM
I shot a muley fawn up the North Thompson that wood be bigger than those four point Hidea qway, prolly, but the antler hadn't come thru the hair, hence button buck.
The best meat I can remember from years ago, tender and oh yahhhh.
Wow, good eating, who knows might not have made it to next year, deep snow bad winter, predators, natural desaster.
It's all about capapbility of the winter range and how many deer the supply of feed can handle. If too many deer they eat all the feed and the plants can die from being too short or thin.
Got to reduce herds to save the herd. Bang bang is one way to help the majority live to another season of abundance. Sustainable and managed by the pro Bio's we have in BC, top of the line for this province.

warnniklz
08-29-2013, 10:22 PM
been on the island since Tuesday... haven't shot a thing...

mostly because I have no artillery with me

Jelvis
08-29-2013, 10:33 PM
Haida Gway has the smallest deer but the biggest black bears on earth, what are they eating? AHHhhhhhh, fawns?
Jel .. Biggest baddest black bear on that spot the old QCIsland hugest bears ..

fuzzybiscuit
08-30-2013, 12:28 AM
Another issue is, the more deer, the more cougars, the more cougars, the more human cougar interactions. The more cougar to human interactions, the more pressure to lower the cougar numbers. How do you do this...kill off there main source of food....the deer....bang bang! I personally think the hunters you are so trying to impose ethics upon, are doing exactly what the ministry wants them to do. Exterminating the deer, and I say so be it! I would rather them do it on an introduced species, such as the QCI sitka and red deer, than the native species! Review article "Introduced Species Management in Haida Gwaii (Queen Charlotte Islands)" They actually talk about culling two islands completely to determine the effect of the deer.!

Last I heard Cougars hadn’t made it to the QCI’s yet. But it might be a good idea to introduce a few to take care of all those none native deer.

GoatGuy
08-30-2013, 12:30 AM
Thanks for all your comebacks all lots of valid points . All things set aside a pole full of does and fawns just isn't right , unless your kids are starving. The deer are introduced and we all owe it to guys who did this. This place would only be half the place without its deer. As for the underbrush being gone , I would have to argue. I spend 20 days a month cutting down trees. Half the time I am up to my eyeballs in salal bush. I started this thread with hopes that I could maybe save a few of the younger deer. If shooting fawns and does is your program then have at er . Hopefully i have changed a few minds . If your coming over here just try to be selective. I will guarantee you you will be singing a different tune when you leave with 200 lbs of meat instead of 35lbs.
Over and Out!!!

If you can't see the impact deer have had habitat you may want to have an RPF walk you through it.

On the management side, if your concern is 'saving' the deer population you'd be best off encouraging people to harvest fawns instead of does.

Most of the issues you've brought up aren't consistent with wildlife and habitat management.

David Heitsman
08-30-2013, 09:05 AM
Warnklz: Be prepared to come home empty handed. Two years ago, five of us went to the Charlottes for 7 days. Between the five of us we saw exactly two bucks for the week and one was on the pavement at the ferry landing at Skidegate and the other was a spike. We walked, we drove, we sat, we glassed, we talked to locals and loggers, just wasn't a buck to be found. We're headed to Alaska now to get our Sitka's.

warnniklz
08-30-2013, 09:26 AM
Warnklz: Be prepared to come home empty handed. Two years ago, five of us went to the Charlottes for 7 days. Between the five of us we saw exactly two bucks for the week and one was on the pavement at the ferry landing at Skidegate and the other was a spike. We walked, we drove, we sat, we glassed, we talked to locals and loggers, just wasn't a buck to be found. We're headed to Alaska now to get our Sitka's.

Last year I seen some decent bucks in the headlights driving from QCC to Masset. My own personal rule was 1st QCI deer has to be a buck. Passed on a lot of deer, then on the last day shot a spike. I was on the island for 4 days and really only probably hunted for 9 hours total in those 4 days.

This year I flew across and haven't hunted a day.

So I've had probably a days worth of hunting QCI... so I don't really have a good idea of what's going on.

hare_assassin
08-30-2013, 09:41 AM
its not about the money atall blainer... Sorry but my wife has to deal with an expensive passion of mine and it doesnt hurt bringing home the meat to show her what all my time and money is spent on... I am by no means well off so when i take money to go hunting it has an impact we have to budget for it. All im saying is huntin is expensive and im not a trophy hunter so when i go hunting if its legal it gets the bang flop.

I'm with you. First legal animal I see gets dropped.

GoatGuy
08-30-2013, 10:57 AM

We were there for a week last year (during hunting season) - can't remember how many bucks we saw.

scott h
08-30-2013, 06:19 PM
I personally would love to see the regs changed to Sept 1st to Dec 31st for bucks and does . You might as well throw in 2/day 6 in possession. That would still be very generous. Unfortunately I think the powers to be are controlling the numbers to satisfy the timber companies bottom line and would prefer to see them gone from QCI. That being said I did just pick up a nice 3x4 on Monday:mrgreen:

Jelvis
08-30-2013, 07:02 PM
What it's open already? C'mon man.

REMINGTON JIM
08-31-2013, 02:35 PM
What it's open already? C'mon man.

Jelvis - you can look this information up in the BC Hunting Regs yourself ! :wink: RJ

DartNorth
08-31-2013, 03:50 PM
I must say, that even though my rule is 2 points or better, that goes out the window if I only have a limited time left, and the other option is going home empty handed. My rule is more of a challenge for myself than an "ethical" thing.

I've eaten a small fawn where it was misjudged as a doe ( was shot, not by me!, with about 20 minutes of shooting light left, 80 yards, and was twice the size of it's companion). Probably the best meat I've ever eaten. Just not enough of it! We were actually able to fit it on the rotisserie. They also make great camp food if someone wants to bring an extra tag.

The population might be lower around roads, especially for bucks, but over all, they are fairly high. When we've gone 2-3 km from drivable roads, we were seeing bucks every 200 meters.

The limit used to be 3 (6) I believe, and it was raised to 5(15) because it was having no effect on population control (don't quote me on that, just what I've heard). It may seem like there is a lot of hunters out there, but relative to the population, there is not. It's an expensive time consuming trip, and that is keeping off island hunters away. The deer shot from the roads get replaced by deer 500 meters from the road fairly quickly, and once you get to remote areas, you see lots. I know guys who take their boats into remote area, take their kids, anchor in a bay, and every one tags out shooting from the boat. They send their kids in to the beach to retrieve the deer. Yes, they shoot does, but they are meat hunting, and basically only hunting a couple of hundred feet of beach.

And on a side note, it's a great place to take kids hunting. You are probably not going to let your kid take the 300 yard shot at the only moose you've seen, but there is lots of opportunity for them to shoot a deer, especially if you walk areas that are not drivable.

09-02-2013, 10:35 PM

I just got back. There are a few left.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/1899/Sitkabuck_zpsf3c3a344.jpg

hawkdog
09-04-2013, 03:11 PM
Wow. Touchy topic. I have a few comments and I will attempt to be polite.

1. I have been going over the Charlottes for 10+ years, I have not noticed any decrease in population, just more roads and better access.
2. Unlike mainland deer I believe these does reproduce after 1 year vs 2 years.
3. I don't shoot fawns but I shoot a mix of does and bucks and the mix is based on how much time I have and what I see and how full my freezer and how successful my LEH draw is and other hunting trips. I could care less about what size the antlers are, in general the smaller the rack the better the taste.
4. There are no wolves on the islands - fawns are taken naturally on the mainland. This combined with the fact that they are an introduced species is why the limit is so high.
Look to the deer culls in New Zealand for examples.
5. If the population is not kept in check than there is a good chance of disease kicking in.
6. Pit Lamping - I talked to hunters there last year who were finding dead deer in blocks in the morning from pit lampers who likely couldn't find them after they shot them. I actually heard a truck drive by our tent up into a block at 3 in the morning last fall.
7. Shooting calf moose must be unethical as well or cow elk or mule deer does. whats the difference?

I can sympathize with the original post that started this thread as I have own pet peaves. The biggest being the gong show associated with the open moose season in region 6 (6'8,6'9,6'4). Thats generally when I plan my trip to the QCIs.