PDA

View Full Version : Rut response

adamgarbett
08-24-2013, 05:17 PM
Kind of a random question but.......has anyone had any successful response when rattling or calling durring the deer rut or any time at all for deer ?Has it just been a fluke or have you had multiple successful hunts using this method???

be honest! And pics never hurt :)

afflicted 1
08-24-2013, 05:36 PM
I don't have pics but would honestly say I have about a 70 percent success rate calling mule deer I've had them come in from late sept right through the rut wind has to be right and good cover for them or they won't show up. I rattle and use a doe bleat

quadrakid
08-24-2013, 06:24 PM
I have had success using doe in estrus scents as well as using doe bleats during the rut. I have not had success rattling but I,m sure I will some day. This is hunting blacktails. I have watched blacktail bucks do a ninety degree turn and head right to my stand after blowing my doe bleat. Calls and rattling are tools in the arsenal,they don,t always work,hell they don,t often work,when they do work its a blast.

.300WSMImpact!
08-24-2013, 09:57 PM
I have had luck just with grunts and rattle, I cant count how many deer I have rattled in, it is an art to learn just like any other calling, it helps to here some deer fighting in the bush

Sofa King
08-24-2013, 10:05 PM
I've never had success with rattling, but haven't spent long amounts of time trying either.
I have had lots of success calling in mulies though.

wunderboy
08-25-2013, 09:14 AM
Can someone post some rattling tips? Maybe the sequence they do?

bigredchev
09-16-2013, 05:21 AM
lets go a step forward and ask what type of rattles or calls youve used. Ive seen the 4 black plastic sticks loosely roped together and they sound quiet realistic for bucks fighting.

BuckNaked
09-16-2013, 05:31 AM
I used a fawn distress call to bring a WT out of cover a couple weeks ago, first time using a call. It was surreal, it could hear him coming long before i saw him. Stomping and snorting...so goddamned cool.

davet
09-16-2013, 09:39 AM
I used a fawn distress call to bring a WT out of cover a couple weeks ago, first time using a call. It was surreal, it could hear him coming long before i saw him. Stomping and snorting...so goddamned cool.

that is so cool.
what region where you in? Did you bag him?

ruger#1
09-16-2013, 10:24 AM
Becareful. Predaters will also come to a fawn bleat. So keep your eyes peeled. I use a doe bleat with a rattle bag. Have had muledeer. And lots of blacktails. They come to the rattle more then the bleat.

IronNoggin
09-16-2013, 10:35 AM
Over the decades, I have found Whitetails to be extremely susceptible to rattling. Picked up on that in the '70's and have continued using that to great success to the present. Some of the Best Whitetails I have guided to were taken with this method.

Mulies do not (to me) seem as interested, and I only recall a couple that responded to rattling - those were pre-rut, not when it was in Full Roar. I have though used grunt and doe bleat calls to stop and/or turn them from time to time.

I have never had a Blacktail come in when rattling, and have tried it occasionally. I have watched their response, and while they seemed curious, they did not go out of their way to close on the commotion. Again, calls have worked to stop them, and at times they have come closer to investigate both bleats & grunts.

Got a Fantastic new Custom Deer Call this year (5 vocalizations in one call) and do plan on trying it out, combined with rattling, on a couple of Biggie Blacktails down-Island just prior to the rut this season. And perhaps into that if not successful the first couple of goes... My thought is that these two are by Far the Dominant Bucks in that area, and will likely respond to any intrusions on their turf at that time.

Letcha know as it goes...

Cheers,
Nog

Cami
09-16-2013, 10:52 AM
I would think it depends on the area.
If there is a high # of does around wouldn't the bucks respond less to rut calls and rattles since they don't have to work as hard to get lucky. tell me if i m wrong.