PDA

View Full Version : Late grizzly hunt question

decker9
08-24-2013, 09:40 AM
Hey good mornin HBC! I have a question or 2 I'm hoping to get some advice on from the experienced grizzly guys.
Last fall I was wondering around north end of Williston hunting sheep, never did see any sheep, but did see grizzly bears! And tons of other grizzly sign. Most of which was above timberline. The basins and vally bottoms were full of 3-4' hi pigweed and a lots of other feed (where we seen most the bears and sign). This was in early August last year.

So now, I pulled a grizzly draw for this area and it turns out I won't be able to make it until about sept 25th, for a week I'm planning give of take a day or 2.

Would you think that most the bears would be heading down to the timber by late September? Or would they stay up above timberline even once the feed starts to die off and start lookin for a sleeping hole? We dident see much for berry's, mind you we dident spend much time below timberline either, but iv also read that alot of mountain grizzly will stay and den above the timber.

What's your thoughts on how a person should hunt these bears late sept? Find a hi spot and glass the hills till I find a bear like I did last August? Or take extra spare fuel and drive the logging roads looking for fresh tracks and logging blocks with feed?

Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated!! Happy huntin!

D9

Wade
08-24-2013, 10:40 AM
It's hard to say. Unless you get a dump of snow up there that early, I don't think there would be a reason for bears to be moving down. I would just do what you were doing last time, and if that doesn't work in your favor go where the berries are growing

08-24-2013, 11:03 AM
I would say probably heading down into the timber to feed on huckleberries. Make sure to get another sheep tag too, the later season may produce a ram for you.

Krico
08-24-2013, 11:16 AM
I wouldn't get too caught up in deciding how to hunt before you go. Let the conditions dictate that for you, be flexible and adaptive. No bears up high, look low. Fresh snow, look for tracks both high and low - you'd be surprised how well tracks show up in the snow, from a very long ways off. Too often people are stubborn and get caught up in how they expect things to be, or where the animals "should" be rather than adapting. Have you ever been on two hunts that were the same? I haven't...

Sitkaspruce
08-24-2013, 11:22 AM
My experience working and guiding just to the NW of you is the bears will be both high and low.

Most of the younger bears and sows and cubs will be down in the timber or on the cutblocks, feeding on the late season blueberries and huckelberries. Remember, a frost or two really brings out the sugar content in berries and bears know that. The bigger bears seem to stay high, but they move a lot as the food is less plentyfull. Find south facing berry patches and watch them, once bears find them, they will stay there and defend them until they are finished, then move on to the next one.

Some of the best places I have found late season bears is those transitional cutblocks, the ones that were logged in the ESSF zone, just below the sub alpine and south facing. I have watched good bears on those same blocks for a week or more, feeding on all the berries they can find, never leaving, just bedding down in the blocks. Also, no vehicle access, so no disturbance from most hunters.

Cheers

SS

decker9
08-24-2013, 02:44 PM
Hey thanks guys. And you have a good point there Krico!
I'm really hoping it goes like how SS said. All the hills I'd be glassing are southern slopes, I just dident see much for berries on them last year, but damn near get lost the weeds and grass was so hi. I only ever want one bear, but it's got to be the right bear, in my mind i would think up higher i might find a big old stuborn bore guarding one of the big grass slopes maybe, as long as the snow stays away till then. Being able to watch him for a while on a opposite hill would be the ideal senerio, for judging and planning a stalk.
There are a couple old 1/2 grown blocks on the way up to my glassing spot. They'r just so thick it will be hard to see into them, it would be nice to see the bear first instead of nose to nose in a berry patch lol. But if there is snow up higher, I might have to change my plan of attack to looking for berry patches.

Anyone have an idea on how much a avg 8'ish bear hide would weigh? A few of these hills are a few kms away, witch is no problem. If I shoot a bear he will be worth the pack. Just curious on what I'm getting myself into weight wise.
Thanks,

D9

Krico
08-24-2013, 09:26 PM
An 8' bear is very big for the interior. It'll be effin heavy, just how effin heavy will depend on how much other gear you have in your pack, but expect to be over 100lbs. You've done the goat thing, and I'm sure had heavy packs before so don't worry about it. They certainly aren't 300lbs. Make sure you have a big pack!

Sitkaspruce
08-24-2013, 09:50 PM
Decker9

You will not see much for berries unless you look for them. The blueberries, junipers and most others will be ground hugging and scattered across openings, they grow much better in open areas along timber edges and open slopes. Thats why those southern facing cutblocks and open slopes are so attractive. Grasses and such have very little nutritional value at that time of year, so the bears will be focused on the high calorie foods, like berries etc.

A good bear, with skull will be around 75-100 lbs, depending on how well you flesh it out and how wet it is.

Cheers

SS

decker9
08-25-2013, 07:20 AM
Hey perfect thanks once again!!

krico, ya iv packed my share of goats lol, plenty of 100+lb packs. I curently run a kifaru DT1, 7200ci. Its quite amazing the weight you can haul with a good pack. I'm thinking ill take the bag off and use just the pack frame for hauling a bear hide out.

Thanks for that info SS. I just talked to a fella living up in this area. Turns out my "glassing spot" has some active exploration going on right now, so looking like a change of plans. Ill be hitting new spots in my area trying to look for good slopes with berries. Maybe with any luck I might find some up hi fresher cut blocks.

Thanks for your input guys!! I appreciate it!

proguide66
08-25-2013, 07:31 AM
Best time is late as possible . We ALWAYS prefer the last hunt for the best bear ( but ya take em when you find em anytime ) they aren't going to change their hangouts until hunting season is over . They den up extremely high where they can. Later means no leaves , they can't hide from a good glassing knob . They seem to hunt moose Non stop in the north east !

riflebuilder
08-25-2013, 07:35 AM
Good luck on your hunt me and me brother drew a coastal tag. look forward to seeing you with a big smile on your face.