PDA

View Full Version : Off-the-Grid Solar

akyne
08-24-2013, 09:33 AM
I'm wondering if anyone has experience living out of a camper / RV /cabin for an extended duration (3 -14 days) being powered primarily by solar power. While there are several good write-ups online, I'm looking for some practical feedback about any systems being used in the bush in BC, during colder weather when the furnace is being used and the lights are on for several hours in the evenings.

I'm not looking to power the 72" Plasma screen and the hot tub, and I realize that performance is going to suffer on cloudy days, but I'd like some insight into what size systems folks might be using both in terms of panel size / wattage, and the size of their battery bank and any other wisdom that can be imparted.

The wife and I are looking at getting a camper or a smaller travel trailer and while were are still going to purchase a small generator, typically we head into the bush to get some peace and quiet, not to listen to the latest Japanese variation of the internal combustion motor.

Thanks...

Rackem
08-24-2013, 10:08 AM
Use led lights, or kerosene lamps. Clear sunny days like in the North are better than cloudy winters on the coast or southern portion of the province...have backup for cloudy days.

akyne
08-24-2013, 10:18 AM
Use led lights, or kerosene lamps. Clear sunny days like in the North are better than cloudy winters on the coast or southern portion of the province...have backup for cloudy days.

Thanks, we're hoping to use propane for as much as possible, and I've certainly heard changing the 12v RV bulbs to LED's make a huge difference on battery draw.

Johnny G1
08-24-2013, 11:33 AM
Have 480 watts and 8, 6 volt batteries in my mh and have went for 6 months at a time just on solar and that is with all the same things as at home, tv, micro, pc and all the lights, Yes it can be done very easy.

dingdongdenny
08-24-2013, 11:41 AM
good prices on solar here
http://papsolar.ca/
changed my exterior light from 1156 bulb(1.5 amp 150 lums)
to led board (675 lums .4 amp)light up my whole camping area and then some

akyne
08-24-2013, 11:49 AM
Have 480 watts and 8, 6 volt batteries in my mh and have went for 6 months at a time just on solar and that is with all the same things as at home, tv, micro, pc and all the lights, Yes it can be done very easy.

Do you remember off-hand what type of controller you are using and where you sourced all the components?

dingdongdenny
08-24-2013, 11:58 AM
with that much watts mppt controler would be best and 24v mono panels.best to get the trimetic 2025
and find out what your usage is then you can size your system.Also cut out cardbord in the dimension of panels and place on roof so they are not shaded by roof vents or air cond.

DartNorth
08-24-2013, 03:37 PM
The furnace is going to be the big draw. I replaced our lights in our trailer with LED panels from ebay. The draw is almost non-existent. I have 2 6V batteries, and can go a week using lights, fridge. When we hunted out of my trailer last year in -10, we had to run the generator every evening as the furnace would run quite a bit to bring the trailer back up to living temperature. I think a kerosene heater would help a lot I think in cold weather, might help keep things dryer as well as we found we had a lot moisture in there after a week. Even in cooler summer trips, we find condensation building up inside.

Johnny G1
08-24-2013, 04:05 PM
Do you remember off-hand what type of controller you are using and where you sourced all the components? I use a C40 Xantrax controller as it is old school but you can run 12,24,48, volts through it, There are newer contr. on the market but this one has not missed a beat in 11 yrs. I was involved in the solar bussines in Arizona, I have been dealing with Riverside Energy Sytems in Kamloops lately and just super guys to deal with as they have the latest and newest equipment on the market.

dingdongdenny
08-24-2013, 04:46 PM
good place to start
http://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/
quite opinionated old fart but knows his stuff
another good site lots of very noledgable people here
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27170016/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1

akyne
08-25-2013, 05:20 AM
Thanks for the replies, this gives me a good place to start.

Gun Dog
08-25-2013, 08:00 AM
For a solar panel to be effective in the Fall it needs to be in the sun and angled for maximum exposure. A generator with a separate smart charger is cheaper and more effective. More batteries helps as long as they're fully charged when you start. Using your truck to charge the batteries when you're on the road doesn't fully charge a trailer battery.

If I was living in Arizona I'd be all over solar but in the Great White North a generator is the way to go.

One Shot
08-25-2013, 10:52 AM
[QUOTE=dingdongdenny;1371587]good place to start
http://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/
quite opinionated old fart but knows his stuff
another good site lots of very noledgable people here
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27170016/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1[/QUOTE

X2......very good info

srupp
08-27-2013, 05:40 AM
hmmm mppt controller,2x 6 volt batteries...2 x80 watt solar pannels...2 weeks in the cariboo in Oct. no problems..and the system is15 years old still churning out the enregy..

steven

akyne
08-28-2013, 02:18 PM
hmmm mppt controller,2x 6 volt batteries...2 x80 watt solar pannels...2 weeks in the cariboo in Oct. no problems..and the system is15 years old still churning out the enregy..

steven

What were you running off that setup?

pete_k
08-28-2013, 02:39 PM
We've camped 70 days in our trailer on year. 50 days the year after that, and so on.

Keep your batteries in the camper (or as warm a place as you can. Definitely not on the ground outside)
Use heavy gauge cable (less resistance and waste)
Bring candles.
Consider sunlight when parking.
Put a runner carpet in the trailer and wear slippers inside.
Use the stove to take the chill out of the air in the morning instead of the furnace. (in fact we never used our furnace as the fan draws too much power).

We also have a small 1000 watt generator from Pr Auto for $120. Has a built in 12vdc battery charger. Fuel consumption is immeasurably low.
If you don't mind the noise. Hook up the charger for 3 or 4 hours in the mid morning. You can go forever like this.
We now have kids and have a 19" LCD TV with built in DVD running off an inverter. We can go 5 days before we need to recharge.

Good luck and keep us posted!

hare_assassin
08-28-2013, 03:22 PM
I haven't got any panels yet, but I have twin 6V "golf cart" batteries in my travel trailer and I am amazed at how long the power lasts.

Last fall me and some friends spent 4 nights up near Bonaparte Lake moose hunting. I was running the music and lighting all evening and the furnace all night. Plus intermittent use of kitchen fan as well.

On the fourth morning, the batteries dropped from G(ood) to F(air). First time I have ever seen them hit F(air). Have never seen them hit L(ow).

My buddy had his trailer there as well. Brand new 12V battery. He had to run the generator every evening.

I suspect that if I put some half-decent solar panels on it, and replaced all the lighting with LED, I'd be good for at least a week... maybe more?

On the other hand, my dad just gave me his 2000w Honda genny. Running a genny every 4 or 5 days is not that much of a disruption... and having some A/C to recharge gadgets or brew a Tassimo isn't a bad thing, either.

In other words, start with twin 6 volts and go from there. :)

Johnny G1
08-28-2013, 05:07 PM
Just don't let your batteries go below 12.1-12.2 and they will last a very long time, mine have been going for 12 yrs now and are still good but they are charged by solar every day.

akyne
08-28-2013, 06:33 PM
Thanks for all the replies!

Dmytro
08-29-2013, 12:16 AM
you asked about camper/RV and cabin- those are two very different scenarios. To get enough energy saved up during a few sunny winter hours to last you a long winter night you need a lot of surface area. Which is not a problem for a cabin, especially if the building orientation and the roof were strategically designed. But it will be a problem for a camper. You are better off with a generator than with panels.

srupp
08-29-2013, 12:25 PM
solar is inversely proportional to heat..colder is better..like fall...we ran just water pump for water, limited lights..the original lights...not new LED..YET...and set the furnace low..however it came on a few times in the night not constantly.. the unit is 27 foot Citation travel trailer..in summer we run Tv..stereo..lights etc etc.. showers..however the fall use is hunting..out most of the days... in evening its supper do dishes a nitecamp...and to sleep 5 am comes early..
If your batteries arnt full come dark..not enough panels..if the system is dead by morning..not enough storage...ie batteries..wish I could have fit 4 x 6 Volt batteries..

cheers
Steven

Mountaintop
08-29-2013, 04:52 PM
We lived for two years in a 25 foot trailer while building our house. Kept two 12 volt deep cycle marine batteries charged up most of the year with two 75 watt panels. One way to get more out of the short winter days is to set up the panels so they could be moved around to follow the sun and stay out of shade. We just used a length of 10 gauge extension cord to the charge controller so that the panels, which just leaned up against a rock or log, were moveable. If you don't want to use a gasoline generator consider a small wind generator. I've seen them at Canadian Tire, marine stores, and other places for about $600. They can be mounted on a piece of metal pipe attached to a bumper and even in low wind will generate something. Even if you only have a bit of wind it can generate power at night and on cloudy days. Even small amounts of charge over long periods add up to a lot of power. By the way, our house has been powered by solar panels for over a decade with no real issues. Just takes a bit of a lifestyle change. Don't leave any lights or electrical appliances on when not being used and unplug things that draw power all the time such as cordless phones or microwaves with the little electric clock. They are called vampires and a number of them together can suck your batteries dry before you know it.

akyne
08-29-2013, 06:28 PM
Yeah, we're planning on being ultra conservative and we're still going to have a generator to supplement, but it's good to know 150 -160 watts of solar is sufficient if you're being smart about things. I think the biggest draw is going to be the furnace fan but I do like the idea of running the stove to take the edge off in the morning.

Ubertuber
08-29-2013, 08:20 PM
I've been using a solar setup on the camper for over ten years now. Good batteries, a good panel and controller are all you need for indefinite power.
I have a gen set, but never use it for the camper.