PDA

View Full Version : Stone Sheep Hunt -Best 14 Day Window?

BigSlapper
08-23-2013, 11:54 PM
Stone Sheep Vets .... I'm planning a first Stone Sheep hunt for next year (BC out of Dease, Muncho or Nelson). Taking into consideration hunter numbers, pressure, weather, sheep numbers & movement, transportation (fly-in/pack horse/jet boat) and "all other variables" (aside from $$) .... Is there a strategic & ideal 14 day window to plan for? Why, what for & how come?
Thanks all ...

Apolonius
08-24-2013, 05:36 AM
I will be a smart ass and say when you can make it.But the real thing is.August opening ,you are shooting at fresh rams,days are longer,if you get wet still time to dry.And less dangerous than late season hunts.Snow/ice.Up high bugs are not the problem for the early hunt.Late season is better in that the rams get more active and closer to the ewes.So if it was me i will be first or after the first wave,plus a week .So last week of aug and first week of september.If you do the opening there is a good space between that and future hunts.The wife can't bitch you are always hunting.Good luck.

GoatGuy
08-24-2013, 07:10 AM
If you're hunting the opener I'd plan the last week of July first week of August. Better off being prepared than scrambling on the opener.

GoatGuy
08-24-2013, 07:11 AM
last week of august, first week of sept, no crowds and you would be surprised at some of the rams that come out of the wood work later in the season
This is good advice September is historically a much drier and quieter month.

Sitkaspruce
08-24-2013, 07:33 AM
We have always gone last 2 weeks of Sept, dry, cool, easy to glass as their is very few days with heat distortion, no crowds, have better hair and if you do get weathered out, elk, moose and caribou are open, which makes more fun than sitting in a tent reading the same book.....

As Deaddog said, you would be surprised at the number of sheep and especially rams you will see after the hoards leave the mountains.

Cheers

SS