PDA

View Full Version : Wool - The most versatile hunting clothing?

BromBones
08-23-2013, 11:04 PM
Got back from the mountains last week, and it was one of those trips where you go from +30 deg and sweating your bag off, to snowstorms, rain, wind, and anything else. Once again was reminded why I stick to wool clothing for the most part - it's comfortable in any weather condition.

I'd like to hear what you fellas think is the best bet for wool hunting/outdoor clothes and why you like it. Maybe I'm just oldschool, but I think there's a lot of gimmicky over-rated and overpriced camo crap out there that's marketed as hunting clothing. Mind you, there are some excellent products out there, but nothing that's convinced me that it's better all around than wool.

The pros of wool -

-Naturally silent in dense brush
-Does not absorb odour
-Warm when wet - Very Important!
-Acts as a temperature regulator - good wool has a natural ability to keep you warm in cold weather, and cool in hot weather.
-Naturally fire resistant - no spark holes and it'll only smoulder when exposed to flame. Remove the flame, it snuffs out.
-Abrasion resistant/tough
-Durable/long lasting
-Insulating abilities - wool traps air. Trapped, still air is a great insulator.
-Water resistant - Good producers like Swanndri or Filson who know how to weave it have some products that are about as close to waterproof as shit is to swearing.

Cons -

-Heavy - depending on the garment
-Itchy for some people
-Soaked wool is slow to dry
-Expensive - Top notch wool is pricey. $2-300 for good pants and up to $5-600 for good jackets.

My favorite wool stuff? Obviously any good merino wool for a base layer, ginch, and socks. Can't be beat for comfort. Just watch the light merino shirts, they don't take abrasion well and for expensive shirts they can wear out quick.

Swanndri. 100 year old company from New Zealand. http://www.swanndri.co.nz/Mens/Bushshirts.htm The Mosgiel jacket shown here is the cats ass. Heavy, but on a late season backpack hunt and spring bear hunt, I'll pack the extra bulk and weight. These things will save your ass when the weather goes to shit.

Filson. If you don't know who or what Filson wool is, I should smack you. Toughest wool products around (been doing it for 100 years or so). You guys remember site member Kutenay/Devilbear? He swore by Filson whipcord pants as the best hiking pants a guy could own. I tried them on his advice and have been using them steady for years now. May have been a little crazy but he knew a good pair of pants, they are one of the best. Don't argue, because you're wrong. There jackets and vests are also top quality and last many many years under hard use.

Cabelas. They sell some decent wool, especially if you get it on a sale. Windproof and waterproof linings added make for some pretty good hunting clothes.

The 'Stanfield' - I think almost every hunter has one of these grey wool shirts in his pack. Not 100% wool, but they do the job. Lightweight
for backpacking as a warmth layer, and stylish too. They don't call it the BC tuxedo for nothing. Buy one size up, wash it in hot water and shrink it in the dryer - makes them pretty water repellant.

That's my rant on wool. Tell me why you think wool is good or bad and what products are worth buying.

Cheers.

Fella
08-23-2013, 11:23 PM
I have a pair of East German army issue wool pants. Haven't had them in extreme conditions but got to wear them in a rain storm in the spring and they kept me warm and pretty dry actually and once it stopped raining they dried out pretty quickly. Also lent a pair to a buddy when we were up close to the snow line in early spring, the whole trip he was wearing carharts and kept complaining about being cold but as soon as he put the wool on he instantly remarked how surprised he was that he was almost instantly warm.

landphil
08-23-2013, 11:35 PM
I have a Icebeaker merino wool pullover that I use as an upper baselayer. I got it as a gift, but was slow to catch on, so it hung in the closet for a couple years due to my dislike of sweaters that stemmed from gramma's itchy sweaters I got as a kid. I found its comfortable in all conditions and at all levels of exertion, and it quickly became a favourite.

I bought a pair of woolrich pants this summer, and am expecting good results from them come moose season, but they are much coarser wool, so will be worn over a baselayer.

akyne
08-24-2013, 04:41 AM
You nailed it. It's not so much wools' superior performance during certain weather conditions, it's the fact that it is superior across such a broad spectrum of weather conditions and exertion levels without having to constantly augment your layers throughout the day. These are the wool garments that have stood out to me over the past few years:

Filson Mackinaw Wool Field Pants - the heavier weight alternative to the whipcord, there is no substitute during the late season when the snow squalls start blowing through and the mercury plummets.

The Stanfield - needs little explanation, equally at home in the black timber as it is prowling the dark corners of your local legion hall.

LL Bean Commando Sweater - Picked up a couple of these through pure chance - an awesome heavier weight alternative to the Stanfield and hard to beat for the money. The patch across the shoulders, yoke, sheds a considerable amount of rain before the wool underneath begins getting damp. My go-to under my waders. Also, it makes me feel pretty classy.

Cabela's Legacy Wool Shirts - An awesome button-down third layer over your Stanfield and merino base layers.

I'll also vouch for the Columbia wool pants - never actually worn them but seeing what my hunting partner has put them through over the years all the while giving them rave reviews has sold me. A good option if you're looking for a cheaper alternative to Filson's or if you really have to have camo.

Gateholio
08-24-2013, 06:26 AM
I use a mix of wool and synthetic stuff depending on what I'm doing. Wool is better than ever now. :)

Wool is also more tolerable to be wet in. :)

RINO
08-24-2013, 06:53 AM
The cost of quality wool also tends to keep a person more inclined to watch his waistline .. Also a good thing... :-D

Some pieces become old friends... Who can afford new friends every year..??

swampthing
08-24-2013, 07:41 AM
I have ditched synthetics as a baselayer and go merino all the way now. I have some big ol heavy columbia stuff for the late season cold muley hunts and it is great for that. And as you said, the stansfield is styish and well used.

Sitkaspruce
08-24-2013, 07:43 AM
Stanfields superwool for long underware, stanfields for a top shirt until it gets damn cold, then I have this Scotish made wool sweater that is amazing, even after 7 years, it still smells of the natural oils in the wool. Irish wool socks and Filsons wool pants when it get cold.

I had a pair of lightweight Woolrich wool pants for years for early season, but after they wore out, went to RW/Cabelas synthetic and they are not bad until it get cold.

I am looking at a Cabelas Wooltamet (sp?) jacket, a mix of wool and berber fleece for when sitting in a blind in Nov.

Good report BB

Cheers

SS

Buck
08-24-2013, 08:12 AM
LL Bean Commando sweater is top notch and well pricedi picked one up during the off season..I should try some of those whipcord pants.

bcyukonair
08-24-2013, 08:28 AM
wool don't burn like synthetics

ABad
08-24-2013, 09:08 AM
Great thread

I have a pair of German army wool pants that has lasted me for the last 20 years. Finally looking to replace them, not because of them being worn out, but they are getting tight around the waist. Thanks for the info. Filson has an out let store in Burlington a few doors down from Filson they have a Pendelton store. Some good deals in both stores. I have not pulled the trigger on the new wool pants but I have narrowed it done to Filson and LL Bean.

akyne
08-24-2013, 09:16 AM
I am looking at a Cabelas Wooltamet (sp?) jacket, a mix of wool and berber fleece for when sitting in a blind in Nov.

SS

I've been eyeing up the vest from the same Cabela's line, seems like decent stuff.

markt308
08-24-2013, 09:21 AM
I love wool. I just bought a sick wool jacket when I was in Nepal this year. can't wait to hunt with it.
As long as your not wearing cotton your doing okay. anyone hunting in cotton needs to re-think life

Dutch Ppoacher
08-24-2013, 09:24 AM
I also looked into the filson products last fall, they had a great sale online in sept-oct on products and shipping. Will probably happen again this yr. watch for it!!!
wish I could afford a light set for early and heavy set for late season

BromBones
08-24-2013, 09:31 AM

Those are pretty damn good. I have the pullover with windproof lining. I remember packing it hunting caribou on the spatsizi plateau in September and getting stuck in awful weather. Even when totally saturated, that jacket kept me warm and comfy.

horshur
08-24-2013, 10:25 AM
But the term " Stanfield Wilderness Athlete" doesn't have the same ring.:mrgreen:

Displaced Nova Scotian
08-24-2013, 10:59 AM
Hello guys, I am looking into wool vs synthetic clothing such as Sitka/Kuiu and stumbled upon First Lite who sell the Kanab pant. I couldn't find it's weight (I'm backpack sheep hunting so need to keep things light) on their webpage but a google search comes up with 315 grams (0.7 lbs) for an unknown size.

My question is, has anyone tried out this pant and/or used any of First Lite's products yet?

Thanks for the great information.

bigslim
08-24-2013, 11:46 AM
Remember the days when it was a Cowichan sweater with a k-way(sp) over top as a wind break Stylish yet versatile.
Have an old school pair of wool pants from Codet as good as it gets when the mercury falls.
Only issue is at 6'6" and only a 33" leg on the pants they barely touch the top of my boots

The Hermit
08-24-2013, 12:44 PM
I've been wearing FirstLite Merino wool for three years now... great product, camo options, decent price point and available at VantagePoint Outfitters - First Lite. (http://www.vantagepoint-outfitters.com/hunting-clothing/)

Phreddy
08-24-2013, 02:02 PM
If they live long enough. I always wear a polyester under shirt with wool next to it. The polyester acts as a wick to move the perspiration away from the skin.

Trophyslayer
08-24-2013, 02:16 PM
Where do you guys get the comando sweater I have been looking for them

BromBones
08-24-2013, 02:22 PM
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/43324?page=commando-sweater-crewneck&subrnd=0

Pretty sure you can order direct from them.

Displaced Nova Scotian
08-24-2013, 03:18 PM
I've been wearing FirstLite Merino wool for three years now... great product, camo options, decent price point and available at VantagePoint Outfitters - First Lite. (http://www.vantagepoint-outfitters.com/hunting-clothing/)

Hi Bill, just wondering if you are selling the 2013 Kanab pants or do you have 2012's in stock? I've read a lot of reviews on fit and it appears the 2012 and 2011 were tight fitting.

Thank you

The Hermit
08-24-2013, 03:23 PM
Hi Bill, just wondering if you are selling the 2013 Kanab pants or do you have 2012's in stock? I've read a lot of reviews on fit and it appears the 2012 and 2011 were tight fitting.

Thank you

I don't carry much stock and only accessing 2013 product now. And yes the 2011 were tight fitting, 2012 much better, and I think the 2013 are the same cut as 2012.

Cheers,

BT

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
08-24-2013, 04:06 PM
BromBones, I concur with your statements on wool (post #1). It is fine, fine stuff!

I don't get the itch from it as I have heard some do, yet those that do always seem to be able to get used to and become accustomed to wearing wool with no issues going forward. It is unfortunate that it has become quite pricey but considering its longevity and qaulity, it is a much better deal than other materials that cost as much (more in some cases) without having the long standing reputation and longevity of high qaulity wool.

For most things accross the board (housing, household items, food, et al) we are all paying way too much for way too little and the value just isn't there almost unilaterally. A sad state of affairs in Canada! When it comes to price, I still consider Wool items a good deal. In fact in my estimation it is surely among the best deals going when it comes to commercialy made garments and a sound investment indeed Sir.

Buck
08-24-2013, 08:11 PM
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/43324?page=commando-sweater-crewneck&subrnd=0

Pretty sure you can order direct from them.

It's good thick wool.

Moose Guide
08-24-2013, 09:53 PM
I wear wool hunting pants for almost all my hunting or outdoor activities, I'll need some new stuff soon!

LeverActionJunkie
08-24-2013, 10:22 PM
Anyone have any experience with L.L. Bean Wool Products? They look like good serviceable clothes, I just happened to notice they all seem to be 85% Wool 15% Nylon. I wonder how they would wear, and hold up compared to the wool clothes I wear now (German or Swiss Army surplus pants, and a Browning Shirt/Jacket). I have no Idea the Wool % of the clothes I wear now, but do know Im about 6years into wearing them and aside from two button failures they are both in great shape. I'm also usually the last one to ever get cold or damp.

These are what I was looking at
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/69102...ods-wool-parka (http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/69102?feat=510033-CL2&page=men-s-northwoods-wool-parka)

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/69101...102-ppxs&dds=y (http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/69101?feat=69102-ppxs&dds=y)

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/64239?feat=69101-app

bc sportsman
08-24-2013, 11:54 PM
Bought First Lite from Hermit last year. Spent 2 weeks in them. Really liked it. Used to wear the german army pants when I had a reasonable waistline about 40 yrs ago. Eventually tried synthetics when I outgrew the german pant sizes. Never really happy with them, particularly the accummulated body odor, they sweat even if they are goretex. Wool is always comfortable. I find it dries fast because the water runs down to the bottom of the pants or jacket, you just squeeze out the water, clothes only damp now and dry as you walk...good to go. And you can stay reasonably comfortable even if the wool is wet. First Lite sells my size and I'm glad that I am back to wool.

akyne
08-25-2013, 05:16 AM
Anyone have any experience with L.L. Bean Wool Products? They look like good serviceable clothes, I just happened to notice they all seem to be 85% Wool 15% Nylon. I wonder how they would wear, and hold up compared to the wool clothes I wear now (German or Swiss Army surplus pants, and a Browning Shirt/Jacket). I have no Idea the Wool % of the clothes I wear now, but do know Im about 6years into wearing them and aside from two button failures they are both in great shape. I'm also usually the last one to ever get cold or damp.

These are what I was looking at
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/69102...ods-wool-parka (http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/69102?feat=510033-CL2&page=men-s-northwoods-wool-parka)

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/69101...102-ppxs&dds=y (http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/69101?feat=69102-ppxs&dds=y)

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/64239?feat=69101-app (http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/64239?feat=69101-app)

I've owned about half a dozen different LL Bean wool garments and have found their quality to be excellent across the board. I can't speak to those three specifically, though.

Bpower
08-25-2013, 11:06 AM
I was at the Filsons outlet store this week and was trying on a long sleeved button up shirt. I almost bought it but got worried about washing and shrinkage. The washing instructions said dry clean only. How much will wool garments normally shrink with normal laundering?

landphil
08-25-2013, 02:11 PM
I was at the Filsons outlet store this week and was trying on a long sleeved button up shirt. I almost bought it but got worried about washing and shrinkage. The washing instructions said dry clean only. How much will wool garments normally shrink with normal laundering?

x2, since I'm planning to machine wash (cold) the heavyweight woolrich pants I just aquired. They're prettly loose fitting for their size, so thinking they'll be OK as Iong as I hang dry them.

akyne
08-26-2013, 03:44 AM
x2, since I'm planning to machine wash (cold) the heavyweight woolrich pants I just aquired. They're prettly loose fitting for their size, so thinking they'll be OK as Iong as I hang dry them.

Wool is naturally odor repellent and anti-microbial. In the five years I have owned my Filsons, I have had them dry-cleaned once after they got caked with blood, but I keep them the hell away from the washing machine. Last year I spent a month straight wearing them from dawn to dusk both in camp and out hunting and I doubt if you could even smell a hint of smoke on them. Good-quality virgin wool can do some strange things, even in a cold wash cycle so you might want to consider dry-cleaning if absolutely necessary or just spot-clean by hand. Almost any soiled spots should brush clean without water once allowed to dry. Keep in mind that if they shrink, it won't be width-wise, they will almost always shrink length-wise leaving you with a $250 pair of clam-diggers!

Hillbros_96
08-26-2013, 06:19 AM
I wish I could wear the stuff, but the itch drives me nuts within seconds. Still remember my grandfather were full 1piece wool underwear year round in Manitoba. My father would to if my mother would allow him LOL.

landphil
08-26-2013, 06:36 AM
Wool is naturally odor repellent and anti-microbial. In the five years I have owned my Filsons, I have had them dry-cleaned once after they got caked with blood, but I keep them the hell away from the washing machine. Last year I spent a month straight wearing them from dusk to dawn both in camp and out hunting and I doubt if you could even smell a hint of smoke on them. Good-quality virgin wool can do some strange things, even in a cold wash cycle so you might want to consider dry-cleaning if absolutely necessary or just spot-clean by hand. Almost any soiled spots should brush clean without water once allowed to dry. Keep in mind that if they shrink, it won't be width-wise, they will almost always shrink length-wise leaving you with a $250 pair of clam-diggers!

Thanks for that info, I'll see how it goes, even an anual dry cleaning wouldn't be bad, but it sounds like they might not even need that. I've had similar experiences with my merino pullover, but its machine washable so I still wash it after week or so of steady use.

Wolfman
08-26-2013, 03:36 PM
I've always been very comfortable in wool. It retains warmth quite well and stays comfortable even when wet. I'll stick to wool any day - especially when I'm sweaty ;-) ;-).

Elkhound
08-26-2013, 04:28 PM
I have used the pants and jacket by Columbia for a few years now. I really love them.

REMINGTON JIM
08-26-2013, 05:02 PM
[QUOTE=Bpower;1372034]I was at the Filsons outlet store this week and was trying on a long sleeved button up shirt. I almost bought it but got worried about washing and shrinkage. The washing instructions said dry clean only. How much will wool garments normally shrink with normal laundering?[/QUOTE

Cold water wash only - maybe warm if its got blood in it - then hang dry only and it will be all OK ! I have used wool for years and years and I like it still ! :-D RJ

BromBones
08-26-2013, 07:09 PM
Agitation (washing machine) and heat are bad for wool. I rarely wash mine but when I do, just soak them in cold water, work them a bit to loosen up any dirt, roll up to push water out, and hang to dry or lay flat. Wool is very hard to stain and doesn't need much washing.

Going back to wool being water repellant - it's other great quality is how it sheds the water it does absorb. Pay attention when you wash a good virgin wool garment. Get it completely saturated, give it a few good shakes and hang it up. The water literally starts pouring out the bottom of the garment within a few seconds. The wool fiber wont allow water to sit in the fabric, it funnels it down through the bottom where it drips away. It's amazing how fast the water will pour out.

The fabric will still have a damp feel for a while (takes some wind or a little heat from the sun to fully dry), but it'll have shed the 'bulk' water and still be warm.

GoodPartner
09-27-2013, 12:01 AM
Just watch the light merino shirts, they don't take abrasion well and for expensive shirts they can wear out quick.

I agree. I bought a Kuiu merino 230 LS crew shirt last year ($84.99). This was a big departure from my normal approach to hunting clothing. Last September I was wearing blue jeans and a purple t-shirt with a fire breathing dragon on it when I shot my elk (my lucky shirt). I wore the Kuiu merino on top rather than a base layer a few times on scouting trips this summer and it is already full of holes. Snags on tree branches etc. I love the way it feels and breathes while hiking, but in the future I won't be paying extra money for "digi" camo clothing that is designed to be worn under something else anyway. Not a knock against the shirt, I don't mind a few air holes, just agree that they can wear out quick for the expense. Does anyone have any suggestions for a similar product to a light merino wool crew shirt that won't get thrashed in the bush if I wear it on top?

Filson. If you don't know who or what Filson wool is, I should smack you. Toughest wool products around (been doing it for 100 years or so). You guys remember site member Kutenay/Devilbear? He swore by Filson whipcord pants as the best hiking pants a guy could own. I tried them on his advice and have been using them steady for years now.

I was looking for a new set of hunting pants and ordered a pair of Filson whipcord pants after reading this post. I found a new pair on ebay for $50.00 ($70.00) after shipping. I used them today for the first time and I was a little worried that it might still be too warm for wool pants. They worked out great. I can't get over what a difference these pants made today in my comfort level in the bush. They kept me warm in the morning, I didn't overheat when the sun came out, they are extremely quiet and rugged. Thanks for the heads up BromBones, no smack required.

So no more "hunting" clothes for me. Next time I'm in a city I'll be in the thrift shop looking for good used wool. Too bad it took this long to figure it out.

Fella
09-27-2013, 02:19 PM
Where do you guys get your wool from? I had a source for real good surplus wool out east, but I found out that he shut down a couple weeks ago. PM me if you have a good source!

DLP
09-28-2013, 10:34 PM
my mom is a tailor so she makes my wool pants. it can be a challenge finding the fabric though. dresso downtown sometimes has the right colour and mix but not always. i have a light wool and heavy wool pair. a thin lining only to the knee keeps em light and way more comfortable. custom pockets for my knives and preference.

i have some norwegian light merino wool i got 12 yrs ago from norwegian friend. but cant find it anywhere not even online. a heavy merino wool uggs sweater found at winners is all i need in winter.

Colinofthewoods
09-28-2013, 11:17 PM
I love stanfields as much as the next guy, but the low neck line sucks. If they came out with a hoodie I would live in it, or at least a crew neck, still though , I always keep a stanfield in a ziplock in the bottom of my hunting pack...

brian
09-28-2013, 11:19 PM

Cold water, mild detergent, hang to dry.

it can be a challenge finding the fabric though. dresso downtown sometimes has the right colour and mix but not always.

Last time I was in there (which was over a year ago) they had a whole section of good thick 100% melton wool. It is expensive but it also great stuff. It was separate from their suiting wools.

jayrod
09-29-2013, 09:02 AM
This is the best wool I've found. I have been adding layers to my collection for the last five years, however last year I tried to order and nothing arrived. I tried calling the company several times with no call back. I ended up getting MasterCard involved and disputed the charges on my card. Has anyone had a similar expierience? I would love to order again but am not confident in this company any more. http://www.justincharles.com/thermalwear.aspx

oldnotdead
09-29-2013, 04:29 PM
I remember a late season mule deer hunt up high in EK with my brother. We pushed hard all day to catch mulies moving through a draw before a big storm. Cold as a witch's teat. Hung my wool pants off a branch, crawled into the sleeping bag under a canvas tarp.
Next morning they could stand on their own frozen, beat ice and frost off the legs. Good to go. Freeze dried!

the hopper
10-06-2013, 04:38 PM
http://www.filson.com/products/guide-waterfowl-sweater.10221.html?fromCat=true&fvalsProduct=mens/sweaters&fmetaProduct=1011

I wear this thing 90% of days blacktail hunting in the fall much to my girlfriends disappointment lol.
it was supposed to be a "fancy" sweater to wear out haha.
To bad it is way to usefull to sit in the closet feeding moths! I generally where it as an outer layer as the oil skin shoulder arm stuff keeps you amazingly dry stumbling through soaking wet shit all day...