PDA

View Full Version : "Tree" stand on a quad

birosj
08-22-2013, 10:50 PM
I know you are not to have a loaded gun on a quad, but what if you built yourself a stand that mounted on your quad. Like a mobile stand.
The reason for it being on a quad is less material needed to build it and an additional 3 feet of height because you have attached it to your racks.
You find a nice spot, secure your quad, no key in the ignition.
Now you erect your stand and set yourself up there with your seat, blind and a loaded gun. Is it legal???
What do you all think?
Steve

The Silent Stalker
08-22-2013, 10:56 PM
Don't think this is legal, not much different than sitting in the box of my truck in a chair. No no I believe.

landphil
08-22-2013, 11:15 PM
Wouldn't be legal, also would be terribly unstable unless you had outriggers, in which case you could leave the quad out of the picture.

itsy bitsy xj
08-22-2013, 11:30 PM
It sounds similar to having a blind on your boat. It may a grey area and come down to each CO and what he thinks

Pioneerman
08-23-2013, 12:01 AM
Arctic cat used to have all kinds of attachments and add ons for their atv and one was a ground blind that popped up and snapped onto racks, but not sure if it was actually legal or not here. I don't think it would fall into same category as a boat for ducks, but would be interesting to know. Call a CO then get it in writing, print it and have it with you :-)

hunter1947
08-23-2013, 02:25 AM
It is illegal any thing that is attached to your guad is part of the quad meaning your Rifle..

takla1
08-23-2013, 06:09 AM
When i used to hunt up in ft nelson i had manyw spots on my dailly rounds where id pull over and climb up on my quad to get a look over the bush on the sides of the road at vantage points.Id actually trim the tops of the willows for this .Many road or other quad hunters would drive right on by thinking there was nothing to see but i actually shot bulls down off the rd in these locations every yr...was just part of the stategy and worked well.Spot and stalk is my perferred method of hunting.We also had numerous tree stands built in good rutting area's

Big Lew
08-23-2013, 06:56 AM
The ultimate, of course, would be a electric line service vehicle with a bucket on hydraulic arms such as the small vans phone companies use....they don't need outriggers. Paint everything in camo and you're set to go.:-D

bigslim
08-23-2013, 07:06 AM
Suzuki Samurai roof off standing in the back holding on to the roll bar road hunting/scouting.
Works amazing!!!

Muliechaser
08-23-2013, 07:51 AM
Thats a cool idea but as everybody knows its illegal to shoot from any conveyance. With the exception of a power boat at ancor. The only way you could get away with that is if u parked any vehicle without a motor or means of ever moving itself and hunt from it. My dad parked a bus on his acrage And pulled the tires off it and dropped it on blocks its now no longer a conveyance. Its all about fair chase in the end which i and many others are firm beleivers in..

Mc

Buckzilla
08-23-2013, 10:11 AM
I wish I had the technology to show the "TUNA" tower on my buddies jet boat.
Complete with swivel chair & cup holder. Can run the electric troller motor controls from the " captains chair".

birosj
08-28-2013, 06:22 PM
Well thanks all for the input. I'll keep using the spot and stalk method as mentioned in one of the replys.

BlackOwL
08-28-2013, 07:12 PM
When i used to hunt up in ft nelson i had manyw spots on my dailly rounds where id pull over and climb up on my quad to get a look over the bush on the sides of the road at vantage points.Id actually trim the tops of the willows for this .Many road or other quad hunters would drive right on by thinking there was nothing to see but i actually shot bulls down off the rd in these locations every yr...was just part of the stategy and worked well.Spot and stalk is my perferred method of hunting.We also had numerous tree stands built in good rutting area's

What You do if You find a hunter in one of Your tree stands located in public land?
You will ask Him/Her to move?
He/She can argue is public land...:-D

sawmill
08-29-2013, 08:53 AM
What You do if You find a hunter in one of Your tree stands located in public land?
You will ask Him/Her to move?
He/She can argue is public land...:-D

Light a fire at the base of the tree.

alpinetreker
08-31-2013, 04:25 PM
nope not going to work

bull buck
08-31-2013, 07:19 PM
What about a power boat, not at anchor with the engine lifted out of the water. is that legal??

Papa Sasquatch
08-31-2013, 07:38 PM
Walk away from the quad and get into the chase. The hunt is not about taking a shot. Its more like a novel where sequence of events lead to a dramatic conclusion that may include a successful downing of a majestic animal. Then you get the quad and retrieve that meat out of there. Enjoy.