PDA

View Full Version : Gibsons/Rainy River Roosevelt Draw

Abashai
08-22-2013, 01:27 PM
So my brother was one of the lucky two that drew the Gibsons/Rainy River Roosevelt bull elk!
Since he is currently working out of town and since there's a good possibility that I'll never have another opportunity to go on a Rosie hunt I am doing most of the research. Quite honestly I think I am way more stoked about setting him up for this hunt than he is.

I'm heading out this weekend to have a look at the area and hopefully locate some elk but was just wondering if anybody would be willing to help out.
I'm probably going to focus on the Rainy River valley just past Port Melon. Anybody have info on that road? Any major washouts or deactivations?
The area seems relatively small so hopefully I'll be able to check out Mt. Elphinstone above Gibsons as well.
Do you know of any good camp spots or pull outs to set up for a day or two?

How much do elk usually move through an area? Do the areas change drastically between now and mid October?
I've been out the East Kootnays quite a bit for elk but are there any major differences hunting the Roosevelt's?

If anybody had any area tips or info or even just general info about hunting Rosie's it would be much appreciated! :D

Elkhound
08-22-2013, 05:09 PM
First off. That was my draw and I hate you. lmao

secondly. contact Darryl.Reynolds@gov.bc.ca 604 885 7419

He is the wildlife Bio officer in that area and knows the elk like the back of his hand. He will help you for sure. My advice....get permission to hunt up behind the port mellon mill. He will take an elk. Some real big *******s there too so dont shoot the first one you see. Hahahaha Been hunting there for years.

Abashai
08-22-2013, 05:59 PM
Hey thanks so much for the input! I really appreciate it. I didn't realize there was a gate on the road. Are weekends or evenings a problem? Should I call ahead to arrange for access?

Steeleco
08-22-2013, 06:02 PM
We were up behind the mill in mid May, walked a long way up the road till we ran into snow, the foot prints we found between the 15km and 16km mark on the road we're larger than life.

Elkhound's bang on, "this time" LOL

As you drive up to the mill, you'll need to stop at the guard shack. Just tell them your heading in to hunt and you'll be on your way.

Brew
08-22-2013, 08:00 PM
I've been working up there on and off up the east side of the river. Was seeing tracks from 3km up. Lots of nice trails down close to the river. At around three km there is some nice old cut block that are growing up with regen. I would look there. The fresh logging starts at 3.5 up to 6 km and there was lots of sign until it was logged. If you can get up high enough on the fresh logging spurs you will have some good glassing of the older cutblocks on the west side of the river. Last time I was there was in June and went for a drive up the road further and it's pretty thick and the road is rough. I believe a you g girl had the draw last year but I don't think she got one. I may be wrong. Good luck on your hunt.