PDA

View Full Version : Crossing Dease river

steviebam
08-22-2013, 06:25 AM
Has anybody crossed the river at it's mouth recently. I am hoping to get to Adsit lake area first week in Sept. Wondering if the water level will permit a crossing?

Trapper
08-22-2013, 03:01 PM
I wouldn't try it ,last time I was there a friend tried to cross it didn't make was just to deep, but if the river is down quiet aways maybe. to risky for me. good luck

RBooth
08-22-2013, 07:21 PM
http://www.wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/index_e.html

You can do a text search for BC and pick a river name close to there (doesn't appear to have Dease). Looking at some of the river levels up there they are high than normal this time of year but they are dropping like a rock, looks like the rain storms have held off up there for now.

steviebam
08-23-2013, 06:33 AM
Thanks for the replies and the link. I guess I wont know for sure until I get up there. I figure if I can wade across I should be able to drive across it.

levind
08-23-2013, 11:25 AM
Have you ever tried that crossing stevie? If not DO NOT go straight across!!!! At the rivers edge look down river to your right and you will see a can hanging on a tree about 50 yards down river. you drive along tight to the river bank then take a sharp left at the can and go across the river to the other side. I know someone that has crossed it and the rcmp crossed it for us when we where there thinking about it. needless to say we didnt cross it lol water sure is close to the top of the engine while you push through the water. this was a few years ago so not sure if the can is still there or if things have changed but if you havent crossed it in the past make sure you do it the right way or you are done and your hunting trip will be over very quickly.

240gord
08-23-2013, 09:25 PM
I was just there,water is about 28in in the shallow spot mentioned.I walked across,did not take my F350.To far from home to take a chance.
Gord.

The Silent Stalker
08-23-2013, 09:30 PM
Please use a hood mounted GoPro when you attempt and share with us please.

358mag
08-23-2013, 09:33 PM
Has anybody crossed the river at it's mouth recently. I am hoping to get to Adsit lake area first week in Sept. Wondering if the water level will permit a crossing?

Best advice is go to Avis or Budget Rentals get a F350 put extra insurance on it and go for the it ..Lord hates a coward ..

steviebam
08-24-2013, 10:25 AM
Wow, Thanks everyone for the update. 28" seems a little to deep for an 85 s-10. Got to do some quick figuring on how to get er Done!!

Trapper
08-24-2013, 02:40 PM
I was thinking on using a good flat bottom boat with a plywood platform and loading a quad onto boat and cross that way, should work.

steviebam
08-25-2013, 06:27 AM
I was thinking on using a good flat bottom boat with a plywood platform and loading a quad onto boat and cross that way, should work.
Yes that would work. My original plan was to go up there with my cummins and tow a samurai. I did not feel good about the idea of leaving camper and truck unattended while I was 20 miles away.

mikeboehm
08-25-2013, 11:29 AM
i heard there was a barge there that could take u accross for a price

steviebam
08-25-2013, 12:36 PM
i heard there was a barge there that could take u accross for a price
That would be kind of easy, any further info? Does that mean I don't have to get a hood mounted go pro? lol .

Papa Sasquatch
10-05-2013, 02:18 PM
They are plenty other locations better suited for you until you are ready to face the river.
It's not shameful to postpone!

cassiarkid
10-05-2013, 08:18 PM
I have crossed that river there, probably 30 or 40 times. Twice we sunk 2 different trucks. First time it rained the entire time we were in there, when we tried to come back out our friend sunk his Landcruiser in the small creek just before you hit the Dease. We had a lifted Ford Bronco. We were about half way across the Dease when we started to spin because we were becoming bouyant and because we were trying to pull the landcruiser across as well. We started to slip downstream a little. By the time all was said and done, the only thing showing on the bronco was about 2 inches of the roof. We were caught on the wrong side of the river and had to spend the night. There was a Cat and a Loader on the other side and my father and his friend tried to swim across but the river had come up so much that the current was too swift and kept sweeping them downstream back onto our side. The next day we climbed the old cable crossing that went across the river at about 40 ft high (not sure if it still there). My dad and his friend worked for Finning so they had a Cat key, they started up the cat, hooked up to the bronco and were almost to the other side when the guy that owned the equipment came screaming down in the loader and blocked us. The guy had just happened to be flying in a super cub, saw us and landed on the highway!! Anyways he freaked out on us and said we owed him $500 for using his equipment. My dad tried to explain that he had two kids with him and that we were cold and wet and it was kinda imperative that we get home and get the sunken truck out of the river. We wrote him a cheque, he let us pull the two trucks across, we sent for help we drained all the fluids cranked it over and low and behold the Bronco started!! We put a stop payment on the cheque and talked to the cops about it and they ended up charging the guy for landed on the highway in a non emergency and said we were within our right to use his equipment.
Second time we just took in water over the hood and seized the engine on our new ford truck. The other times uneventful, just make sure you unhook your airbox, which is usually low in the grill and I wouldn't suggest going in with an S-10 unless the water is extremely low.

Buck
10-05-2013, 09:58 PM
I have crossed that river there, probably 30 or 40 times. Twice we sunk 2 different trucks. First time it rained the entire time we were in there, when we tried to come back out our friend sunk his Landcruiser in the small creek just before you hit the Dease. We had a lifted Ford Bronco. We were about half way across the Dease when we started to spin because we were becoming bouyant and because we were trying to pull the landcruiser across as well. We started to slip downstream a little. By the time all was said and done, the only thing showing on the bronco was about 2 inches of the roof. We were caught on the wrong side of the river and had to spend the night. There was a Cat and a Loader on the other side and my father and his friend tried to swim across but the river had come up so much that the current was too swift and kept sweeping them downstream back onto our side. The next day we climbed the old cable crossing that went across the river at about 40 ft high (not sure if it still there). My dad and his friend worked for Finning so they had a Cat key, they started up the cat, hooked up to the bronco and were almost to the other side when the guy that owned the equipment came screaming down in the loader and blocked us. The guy had just happened to be flying in a super cub, saw us and landed on the highway!! Anyways he freaked out on us and said we owed him $500 for using his equipment. My dad tried to explain that he had two kids with him and that we were cold and wet and it was kinda imperative that we get home and get the sunken truck out of the river. We wrote him a cheque, he let us pull the two trucks across, we sent for help we drained all the fluids cranked it over and low and behold the Bronco started!! We put a stop payment on the cheque and talked to the cops about it and they ended up charging the guy for landed on the highway in a non emergency and said we were within our right to use his equipment.
Second time we just took in water over the hood and seized the engine on our new ford truck. The other times uneventful, just make sure you unhook your airbox, which is usually low in the grill and I wouldn't suggest going in with an S-10 unless the water is extremely low.
ha great story now how about another of your Argo adventures

Gnarly
10-05-2013, 10:07 PM
I just crossed it a couple days ago in my 94 f 150 on 31x10.50's, piece of cake as the river is ridiculously low this year and the boys in the bigger jet boats are having a hell of a time just getting around on the river.
just stay immediately to the right along the shore until you can see where everyone else has been going and cut across its only a couple of feet deep.