PDA

View Full Version : excalibur troubles... Aaaaahhhh!

Jim Prawn
08-21-2013, 09:42 PM
Just in time for bow season, WTF? I shoot my x-bow periodically throughout the off season and it often needs an adjustment but has always been consistent. Doing a final sight in tonight before opening day this Sunday and the thing is all over the place, even missed the target at 30 yards with a good rest! I did dry fire it earlier and one strand of the string broke so I replaced the string. I have checked all screws and bolts on the stock and scope and there were a couple that I managed to tighten just a ball hair but not enough that I think that was affecting my shooting that bad. I also have noticed a couple small scratches in one limb, but again I cant see that being a big deal, especially given the toughness that excalibur portrays... Suggestions????
JP

blaker_99
08-21-2013, 09:47 PM
I have shot several Excalibur x bows and they shoot extremely accurate but a good friend of mine dry fired his and had same results as you are explaining. After further inspection he actually cracked and delaminated one of the limbs and was very unsafe to fire. This may be your issues and Excalibur will replace them free of charge just be nice to them. Also I know you said you checked all bolts screws etc but it's doesnt hurt to do a quick once over and ensure your string is inside the hash mark on the string deck. Hope you get to the bottom of it soon.

darkside
08-21-2013, 09:59 PM
jimmy they have a dna at island will have you dailedin by friday whats a 1000 bucks these days

russm86
08-22-2013, 09:32 AM
My Excalibur was doing the exact same thing, shooting all over the place. I'd check your scope though as that's what mine was as it wouldn't hold zero any more and won't even adjust the cross hairs with the dials. So maybe there scopes have issues.... I just got an RMA the other day from them to return my scope. If you have your fixed sites still maybe try putting that on and see how it works.

Bowzone_Mikey
08-22-2013, 10:42 AM
I would suspect your crosshairs have rattled lose inside the scope ... common problem after a dryfire on crossbows due to the energy being rattled around.
I am actually surprised that the Excalibers dont have an anti dryfire safety built in like most of the higher end compound crossbows

Being a recurve style tho I would go over your limbs with a magnifing glass and look for hairline cracks that would indicate a delamination as well as the known weakspot where the bow attaches to the stock may have let loose a bit ... but again if I were a betting man I would say crosshairs in your scope let go

Jim Prawn
08-22-2013, 08:18 PM
Well, as usual, before getting all worked up about something thats gone wrong, check all the BASICS first.... I had said that I checked all the screws and bolts on the bow to make sure everything was tight; not quite true. I had recently tightened the bases on the scope rings because they were loose so I didnt actually check the rings themselves. (Dumbass!!) . With all the input re: scope issues, I was going to swap out the scope for the 4 power on my .22 and see if that was the issue. While undoing the set screws on the rings; the first 3 were tight to undo, the 4th was totally loose! Even though I had tried to twist the scope by hand and couldnt, I suspect the force of each shot was making the scope move a bit each time. Tightened her up and back to 2 inch groups at 30 yards. Everybody happy happy happy!!!! Thanks for evryones input, good luck on Sunday.
JP

t-rexer
08-22-2013, 10:12 PM
I have the exomax and love it has anyone tried the new matrix I'm thinking of upgrading if its worth it

Mountaintop
08-23-2013, 12:45 PM
A little hint that was told to me if I dry fired my Excalibur is to run a cotton ball over the limbs. The fibers will catch on even the smallest delamination or crack even if you could not see it. If there is no limb issue I would bet on the scope being bad too. Same thing happened to me with accuracy after being stored over the winter and Excal changed it out no questions asked.

IronNoggin
08-28-2013, 05:27 PM
I have the exomax and love it has anyone tried the new matrix I'm thinking of upgrading if its worth it

Yes! And LOVING It!! :mrgreen:
Here is a bit of a comparison between the Exomax and Matrix I wrote up earlier this year: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?92057-New-Toy!
The Matrix has now reachieved her new Custom Arrows, and is awaiting the arrival of her new Hawke Scope (XB 30 Compact) and will soon be doing what she was designed to do!! :twisted:

Just a little note, if anyone here encounters an issue with an Excalibur, the Forum on this site is an excellent resource:
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com

Cheers,
Nog

BRvalley
10-31-2013, 12:30 PM
I've found that I would have 1 or 2 screws would rattle loose after a while, until I put a drop of loc tite, just a tiny amount, and check periodically

in particular, there was a very loose screw on the trigger unit, that you can't see until you take the trigger out...but I don't know how that would affect accuracy, maybe affects the release

I've also found that I get better accuracy by using the rope cocking aid, a few weeks ago I shot 10 3 shot groups hand cocked, and 10 rope cocked....the hand cocked groups had a couple 3-4" fliers outside the group, shooting from a rest at 40 yds...cocking with the rope aid was consistent, no fliers