PDA

View Full Version : About bow and accessories

Thor
01-16-2007, 07:44 PM
Hi guys and girl

Thinking bout purchasing a bow for hunting. I've used to have a 35lbs recurve bow when i was younger that I still have.

Anyhow I've did some research and decided to go with either a Hoyt Trykon, Bowtech Tribute or Mathews Switchback XT. #60-70 draw weight. What do you guys think bout these bows and which one do you suggest. Any comments would be helpful.

I could get a "NEW" 06 Hoyt Trykon (last years model) still in box for a really good deal.

That leads me to the next question. I need some ideas on what sight, rest, stabilizer, wrist strap, arrows.....to get. Would just like some ideas on what everyone has that works for them so I can make up my mind. I already have some ideas on which accessories but wanna hear some other opinions.

Anyhow thanks in advance
Thor

Bow Walker
01-16-2007, 08:15 PM
Thor, go on over to this site and do a search on each of those bows. You'll get tons of information. Much more than I can type in the next 30 minutes!
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/

Thor
01-17-2007, 07:07 PM
thanx bowwalker

Ron.C
01-18-2007, 05:48 PM
I just went through the same thing while looking for a new bow. But I won't say which one I bought as it is irrelevent to you and your decision. Your best bet is to shoot or get your hands on any of the bows you are interested in, and make up your mind by feel/price and any other factors. Doing internet searches on sites like archery talk is an ok reference but you will very quickly find out that many people are extremely loyal to the type of bow they shoot and are very quick to bad mouth other brands. I personally think that any of the top companies like Hoyt/Mathews/Bowtech/Martin/Parker make good quality bows. It is all personal preference. As Far as accessories, There is no need to spend tons of money at first. A $100 stabilizer won't help your shooting anymore than a $40 one. Accessories like bows are very much personal preference and what one person likes, another may not. One important thing, make sure you consult a pro shop once you get your bow to make sure the arrows you buy are spined correctly.

oldtimer
01-18-2007, 06:39 PM
Thor when I purchased my bows there was one overiding criteria.
AFTER SALES SERVICE !!!!!!!!!!!!!! all the bows you mention are great bows and have very reputable dealers in most areas. I would pick the one you feel comfortable with.
As for accessories I shoot gold tip ultra light arrows, a copper john sight, and a carter release. I find all of them affordable and reliable. Mike
PS if I could afford it I would change my sight box to a Spot Hog ( the new one )

Bow Walker
01-18-2007, 07:48 PM
Thor........
Where do you live? Maybe we can suggest some places to go to try out some bows.

Thor
01-18-2007, 08:54 PM
Ok...I got myself a 06 Hoyt Trykon 60-70lbs 30 draw length on ebay for a really good price. Its a brand new bow :) .

Gonna need to go shopping for accessories now...what to get LMAO

Oh and i live in Prince George

thanx for the help guys

oldtimer
01-19-2007, 01:50 PM
See Ted Stern at T & F archery-- he is in the book Great guy and very knowledgeable. as well there are 2 good shops in quesnel and WillyQ does great work out of his basement.

Thor
01-19-2007, 06:02 PM
wheres ted stern at and does he have a shop?

willyqbc
01-20-2007, 01:35 AM
teds shop is down the buckhorn road south of P.G....his house is just before the school on the left...you'll see the sign. Just go knock on the door as he runs it out of his garage. Great guy...he'll take care of ya

Chris

The Hermit
01-20-2007, 09:56 AM
I too just got a new rig... here are the key accesories I bought.

Corbra Sidewinder 3Pin Sight - VERY bright.

Fletcher 44 Caliper Release - I tried half a dozen releases in the store and this one was the smoothest of the bunch... hands down the best.

Wisker Biscuit Rest - I liked that the arrow won't fall off the bow, it is silent.

jessbennett
01-30-2007, 11:19 PM
good score. very nice bow. just be careful about e-bay as alot of manufacturers void warranty if purchased on e-bay. something to ask ted.

sealevel
01-31-2007, 04:09 PM
Thor good choice .first thing you will want to do is order up a new string and cables the ones that come with it will show wear after a couple 100 shots. I would buy a drop away like a trophy taker and a good qualty sight like a copper john or better a spot hogg in sites you get what you pay for.

Rainwater
01-31-2007, 04:16 PM
Thor, If you had and shot a recurve the new Chekmate Hunter Takedown is really hard to beat, they shoot fast and flat and are super light and pretty to look at.

Rainwater
01-31-2007, 04:21 PM
Thor, Sorry I see you got one already, good luck with it, have fun.

Thor
02-05-2007, 08:34 PM
hey guys the bow finally came in...looks awsome....now i just need to order the accessories for it lol...

hey chris i know someone u know ben f. from prince he told me ur the guy to talk to bout bow stuff lol