PDA

View Full Version : Canning pink salmon. Worth it?

andrewscag
08-21-2013, 10:50 AM
I've always smoked mine but the lady's got a pressure canner now. Reading up on it, looks like a pretty lengthy process. Do you guys who've done it think its worth the trouble?

lip_ripper00
08-21-2013, 10:55 AM
Cut fish stuff in to jars add 1 tbsp salt 1 tbsp vinegar process 110 minutes @ 10 lbs done. It's great if you smoke it first.

swamper
08-21-2013, 11:05 AM
I just cut mine into chunks to fit the small fish jars and put in 1/2 tsp of vinegar and 1/4 tsp of salt and process for 90 minutes at 15 lbs. Turns out great.

adriaticum
08-21-2013, 11:07 AM
Smoke 'em!
------------

08-21-2013, 11:13 AM
Canned fresh pink is good....
Canned fresh Coho is better!

But i had 2 cases of pink and enjoyed it... smoked canned now we are talkin!

andrewscag
08-21-2013, 11:22 AM
Cool! I'll smoke em since I've got em ;-)

Recipe I read didn't include vinegar. Sounds like a good addition. I was thinking of doing a few jars with a dill and mustard rub too. I'll keep you posted

Does the vinegar take the place of brining before canning?

lip_ripper00
08-21-2013, 11:31 AM
Cool! I'll smoke em since I've got em ;-)

Recipe I read didn't include vinegar. Sounds like a good addition. I was thinking of doing a few jars with a dill and mustard rub too. I'll keep you posted

Does the vinegar take the place of brining before canning?

Vinegar dissolves the bones

Mikey Rafiki
08-21-2013, 11:33 AM
I smoke them, debone and skin, and then can them with a couple tablespoons of olive oil. They stay really moist and tender for a good year or so.

andrewscag
08-21-2013, 11:42 AM
Awesome. Wasn't looking forward to deboning at all

Just a quick smoke for flavor I assume then

steel_ram
08-21-2013, 12:41 PM
I'd say with the price of store bought canned pink salmon it's not worth it. That said, I've worked the iron chinker and seen what poor condition some of the fish heading for cans are in.

Jim Prawn
08-21-2013, 02:46 PM
I find leaving the skin on and bones in adds flavour and a bit of texture to the product. I've never used vinegar and even with decent sized spring salmon backbones they soften up fine for eating. Canning does intensify the flavour so I wouldnt do a full smoke if canning. Lip-Riiper must be using big jars for 1 tbsp salt, I used 1/4 tsp in 250 ml jars last time and found even that a touch salty for my liking. Either way canning or smoking or a combination is the way to go for preserving pinks, I only bbq them if they're fresh fresh fresh. Good luck!
JP

Buck TraX
08-21-2013, 05:36 PM
I smoke them, debone and skin, and then can them with a couple tablespoons of olive oil. They stay really moist and tender for a good year or so.

x2 on this one! smoked then canned is the best way to keep humpie meat as its not the best once its been frozen.So catchem fresh first.

Brez
08-21-2013, 06:51 PM
Canned with salt and vinegar for sandwiches etc. Add a chili or two or capers for taste variety.
Smoked and canned - awesome!

Sitkaspruce
08-21-2013, 08:20 PM
I find leaving the skin on and bones in adds flavour and a bit of texture to the product. I've never used vinegar and even with decent sized spring salmon backbones they soften up fine for eating. Canning does intensify the flavour so I wouldnt do a full smoke if canning. Lip-Riiper must be using big jars for 1 tbsp salt, I used 1/4 tsp in 250 ml jars last time and found even that a touch salty for my liking. Either way canning or smoking or a combination is the way to go for preserving pinks, I only bbq them if they're fresh fresh fresh. Good luck!
JP

Ditto, cut, stuff, salt (1/4 tsp), can.....enjoy. If you smoke them, just do a light smoke and do not cook them, as the canning will cook them. I have added liquid smoke to the fish and it is not bad, same as dill, salsa, curry, maple sugar and chunks of smoked fish. Pinks are best canned, kept on ice and eaten fresh that day or frozen whole (guts/gills removed) and ground into salmon sausages.

Cheers

SS

d6dan
08-21-2013, 09:52 PM
Cut fish stuff in to jars add 1 tbsp salt 1 tbsp vinegar process 110 minutes @ 10 lbs done. It's great if you smoke it first.

Bang on lip ripper. That's exactly how I have mine canned. Excellent table fare.:-D

lip_ripper00
08-21-2013, 09:55 PM
JP

Yes I should have said jar size, I use quart size jars, the wimpy 250ml jars just don't cut it in this house.:mrgreen:

lorneparker1
08-22-2013, 08:23 AM
I steak the salmon and put it all in there skin bones everything. It all breaks down when you can it. If you are looking to smoke before you can, either only smoke for 1 hour then can, or what I like to do is put a small peice of smoked salmon in with a bunch of not smoked stuff then can. Canning all smoked pieces will be way to over powering

Bobfl
08-22-2013, 12:14 PM
It is always worth it when you do it yourself, but then if you live near the beach springs are always better unless there oily whiteys

Caribou_lou
08-22-2013, 12:27 PM
Canned some for a friend the other day. Turned out great! Id say well worth it.

thunderheart
08-22-2013, 01:35 PM
i commercial fished for yr and bought fish on the grounds for yrs ..
canned pink is 1 out of 5
canned coho is 3 outa 5
canned spring a 4 for sure

and the number 1 with out a doubt 5 outa 5 canned salmon is ........drum roll please

SOCKEYE

all of course with out scales...

a very mild smoke on any of these before smoking makes for a great sandwich

we have been smoking and canniong for 30 yrs anyway

but each to their own..

andrewscag
08-22-2013, 06:01 PM
Tonight's the big canning night. Took 4 nice ones the other day. Brined overnight and just about to start washing jars. Going to get a batch in the pressure canner while the next batch smokes. Thanks for all the help guys. Much less intimidating with the all the help here

i got little 250ml jars because that's what the directions said to get. You guys have any complaints with 500ml? I'll tear through the little ones in no time

Sitkaspruce
08-22-2013, 08:31 PM
All I use is 500ml's, makes the jar last 2 days instead of one.....

Cheers

SS

Spirit's Master
09-04-2013, 07:22 AM
DFO just upgraded the Pink run size to 24M fish.

We fished the wall just North of Brown's Bay yesterday and the action was non-stop for Pinks and Coho all day. If anyone is looking for a fun time or practice for the kids or newcomers I highly recommend it. And with the massive run size there should be a few left for the smokers and the canners.

Heading out again today. Photos to come.

cwf