PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Season Trail Cam

C.Groves
08-20-2013, 11:20 PM
I set up my camera in a area I had hunted last season. I had seen a bunch of White Tail Does in there and decided it would be a great spot to use my camera for the first time.

I set up a Salt Lick as I was told they are decent for stopping a deer for a few minutes so images results are greater. Let me know your opinion on it please.

Anyways, here the two photos that were captured.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q187/Cgroves91/SUNP0002.jpg
This photo had me confused for a few minutes as there appears to be nothing there. If you look on the left side of the photo about 3/4 of the way down there is a burnt tree leaning into frame, you can see that to the left between where the image ends and the tree is a doe heading down the hill. Hard to tell if its a Mule or White Tail but im assuming its a White Tail due to how many I have seen in the area.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q187/Cgroves91/SUNP0003.jpg
First buck I have gotten on cam is a nice White Tail Buck posing elegantly looking downhill.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q187/Cgroves91/WhiteTailBuckCloseUp.jpg
Close up of the White Tail Buck.

Hoping I don't have to miss the entire hunting season due to knee surgery, I hope to see this nice boy again.

Cheers,
C.Groves

hunter1947
08-21-2013, 04:28 AM
I bait in areas because I like to know whats in the area I hunt when hunting season opens ,,lets face it nothing is fair these days there are so many new toys that are out there to get the job done.

Putting a cross hair on a deer ,elk or others from a cross bow or rifle and shooting it is this fair ???? I say no the animal is going to be dead baiting is legal for the deer family so why not take advantage of baiting ,,if no one thinks its fair baiting then leave all your toys at home and ride to your hunting area on a horse and O Ya leave your hi powered rifle at home and use a bow from back in the day :wink:..

Friday_30-06
08-21-2013, 05:52 AM
They look like good quality pictures! As for the salt lick I would just leave it, like Wayne said its legal and will probably help you get more images so why not.

RBooth
08-21-2013, 06:17 AM
Shooting an animal with a weapon is fair? Use your hands if you want to be fair.

Darksith
08-21-2013, 06:42 AM
I don't consider it baiting...try a bag of salt in the ground rather than a block maybe. Is benificial to the animals

C.Groves
08-21-2013, 10:57 AM
I bait in areas because I like to know whats in the area I hunt when hunting season opens ,,lets face it nothing is fair these days there are so many new toys that are out there to get the job done.

Putting a cross hair on a deer ,elk or others from a cross bow or rifle and shooting it is this fair ???? I say no the animal is going to be dead baiting is legal for the deer family so why not take advantage of baiting ,,if no one thinks its fair baiting then leave all your toys at home and ride to your hunting area on a horse and O Ya leave your hi powered rifle at home and use a bow from back in the day :wink:..

Very good point! I was hoping I would get input like this so that I can learn more. So thank you hunter1947

Cyrus
08-21-2013, 11:05 AM
I have a bunch of cams for a few years and put out just about everything in front of them to get the game to stop so I can get a pic. When I am hunting I have yet to see let alone shoot an animal feeding in front of my cameras. Yes it helps tell you whats in the area but finding them at the right time and making that shot that counts are all on you. I really don't believe it is cheating in any way.

Brian011
08-21-2013, 03:59 PM
i've had cams and salt out the last few years now and not once have i got any of the bucks that i've got pics of. Just because you have salt or grain or cams out definitely doesnt guarantee an animal. it takes alot of time and effort to set everything up so i dont think its any less fair in any way.

BuckNaked
08-21-2013, 04:03 PM
Shooting an animal with a weapon is fair? Use your hands if you want to be fair.

Real men just run them till they fall over dead!:-D

Nice trail cams pics, i havent got diddly on the one I have out!